Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #76
zsdersw
Lifer
 
zsdersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Posts: 10,560
Default

If I were an Apple user (or someone who gives any of his money at all to Apple), I'd demand more of Apple. I'd want something revolutionary, not evolutionary.

Does anyone here have higher expectations of Apple than what we've been getting recently?
__________________
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool -Mark Twain

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #77
MrX8503
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I have owned the 3G and the 4, but have used friends 3GS, 4S, and 5.

I'd say the bigger upgrade is from the 3GS to 4S. That is a ginormous upgrade, a bigger upgrade by far.

The 4 to 5 is a big upgrade, but isn't as impressive. The 5 is basically a faster 4 with LTE and a bigger screen. The problem with the bigger screen though is it isn't any wider. The 4's screen looks as good as the 5's otherwise. And yeah, while the 4 is slow by today's standards, it's not unbearably slow.
I see it as:

iPhone -> 3G
3G -> 3GS
3GS -> 4
4S -> 5
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #78
zerogear
Diamond Member
 
zerogear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
If I were an Apple user (or someone who gives any of his money at all to Apple), I'd demand more of Apple. I'd want something revolutionary, not evolutionary.

Does anyone here have higher expectations of Apple than what we've been getting recently?
Nothing Apple has done since original iPhone has been that revolutionary. And to be honest iPhone wasn't either, it was just when all the tech for the device got cheap enough to integrate into one device.
__________________
My Heatware
zerogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #79
MrX8503
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
Nothing Apple has done since original iPhone has been that revolutionary. And to be honest iPhone wasn't either, it was just when all the tech for the device got cheap enough to integrate into one device.
Ah yes. The original iPhone wasn't either cause all the pieces fell into Apples lap. /s
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #80
zerogear
Diamond Member
 
zerogear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
Ah yes. The original iPhone wasn't either cause all the pieces fell into Apples lap. /s
Everything is like that, not just Apple. Way to take it personally.
__________________
My Heatware
zerogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #81
deathBOB
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
Nothing Apple has done since original iPhone has been that revolutionary. And to be honest iPhone wasn't either, it was just when all the tech for the device got cheap enough to integrate into one device.
LOL. Do you not remember how much smart phones sucked before the iPhone? I do, unfortunately.
deathBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #82
Skurge
Diamond Member
 
Skurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Namibia
Posts: 4,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathBOB View Post
LOL. Do you not remember how much smart phones sucked before the iPhone? I do, unfortunately.
I think you mean Windows Mobile phones
__________________
Intel Core i5-4670K |Gigabyte Z97N-Gaming 5|16GB DDR3-1600|Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X|Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB|Corsair AX860 PSU|Bitfenix Prodigy|Windows 8.1 Pro|Samsung U28D590D|Logitech G27 Racing Wheel|Nexus 5 32GB
Skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #83
zerogear
Diamond Member
 
zerogear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,360
Default

I've used Windows Mobile as well as PocketPCs. They _still_ multitask better than iOS.
__________________
My Heatware
zerogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #84
deathBOB
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
I think you mean Windows Mobile phones
True! I had a Motorola Q9c that was just awful. Blackberry wasn't bad (although they have had to move to touch based UI) and I can't comment on Nokia. The specifics of these systems are unimportant, my point is just that smart phones pre-iPhone are vastly different than smart phones post-iPhone. Does anyone else remember how it was predicted to fail because it just had a touch screen and no hardware keyboard?

I just see the "iPhone was not innovative" thing and it makes me laugh every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
I've used Windows Mobile as well as PocketPCs. They _still_ multitask better than iOS.
Even if it were true, how is that relevant? Was Windows Mobile not garbage? If it wasn't why was it completely abandoned by Microsoft?

Last edited by deathBOB; 12-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.
deathBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #85
MrX8503
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
I've used Windows Mobile as well as PocketPCs. They _still_ multitask better than iOS.
It multitasks better than Android. Are you switching back to WinMo?
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #86
TuxDave
Lifer
 
TuxDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Why not? You do realize that the 16GB iPhone costs $650, and you only pay $200 to get it, right? I think $250 is a little high for that, but that's close to the rest of what you owe on the phone. Believe it or not, but your two-year contract is nothing more than a short-term loan.

I actually found it cheaper to just switch carriers and pay the ETF.
That doesn't sound right. It's 200 for the phone, 250 for the early upgrade fee which puts you on a new contract and then 325 etf to switch carriers.

Or if you are not switching carriers how is the subsidy on the last six months (gets to a no upgrade penalty) worth paying 250 extra up front. That math doesn't work as far as I can see it.

And then for the case of (you never got into a contract... which is also a completely different topic all together. Remember the scenario is that you're 14 months into a contract, would you pay an early upgrade fee or just wait 6 months to upgrade without a fee.)
http://www.phonenews.com/a-compariso...att-etf-21936/

Someone did math so I wouldn't have to.
__________________
post count = post count + 0.999.....
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by TuxDave; 12-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #87
bearxor
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 6,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
I've used Windows Mobile as well as PocketPCs. They _still_ multitask better than iOS.
I would disagree. If you mean "everything stays open in the background" then sure. But it wasn't smart about it.

One of the most often requested add one later in WinMo's life, when people who really hadn't felt the pain of PPC2002E and WM2003, was task managers and task killers. It was a constant struggle.

Also, I've noticed the popular trend these days are notification lights, where one of the major request hacks for WM was how to turn the notification lights off.
__________________
This post paid for by the committee to re-invade Vietnam.
bearxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #88
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 16,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathBOB View Post
... Was Windows Mobile not garbage? If it wasn't why was it completely abandoned by Microsoft?
It wasn't garbage.

WinMo had full offline sat navigation before Android was around for instance.

It's main problem was a cludgy UI and primitive screen tech.
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #89
akugami
Diamond Member
 
akugami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 費城, 賓夕法尼亞州
Posts: 4,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
If I were an Apple user (or someone who gives any of his money at all to Apple), I'd demand more of Apple. I'd want something revolutionary, not evolutionary.

Does anyone here have higher expectations of Apple than what we've been getting recently?
Android and Android devices in general are even more of an "evolutionary" product than iOS was. At least iOS had the "first" tag on putting together the various UI elements (physical and software) that are now taken for granted in a touch interface.
__________________
Canon 50D
Canon 16-35mm L MK1
_______________________
That was insensitive of me. I asked you to stop being stupid without considering how extremely difficult that must be for you.
akugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #90
TuxDave
Lifer
 
TuxDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathBOB View Post
LOL. Do you not remember how much smart phones sucked before the iPhone? I do, unfortunately.
Exactly this.
WinMo 6.5? It was great to have a computer in your hand! Except you still needed to click the start button, then programs, and then run stuff. Terrible.

And then you had the T-mobile G1. I don't remember what Android was capable of back then but what a craptacular screen.

Then iPhone came out and people realized that hey, maybe we should make the screen great, focus on touch/UX and go make a huge app library. What a relief.
__________________
post count = post count + 0.999.....
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #91
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 16,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akugami View Post
Android and Android devices in general are even more of an "evolutionary" product than iOS was. At least iOS had the "first" tag on putting together the various UI elements (physical and software) that are now taken for granted in a touch interface.
In some ways I'd say HTCs touchflo UI was up there. (Widgets, swiping left and right for different screens, etc)
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #92
zsdersw
Lifer
 
zsdersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Posts: 10,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akugami View Post
Android and Android devices in general are even more of an "evolutionary" product than iOS was. At least iOS had the "first" tag on putting together the various UI elements (physical and software) that are now taken for granted in a touch interface.
That's not relevant to the point I was making: Where is the next big leap?
__________________
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool -Mark Twain

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #93
bearxor
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 6,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
In some ways I'd say HTCs touchflo UI was up there. (Widgets, swiping left and right for different screens, etc)
Don't forget that TouchFLO didn't arrive on a device until after Apple showed off the iPhone. It was pretty rushed out. I think HTC only used it on 3 or 4 devices before abandoning it in favor of Sense.
__________________
This post paid for by the committee to re-invade Vietnam.
bearxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #94
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDave View Post
That doesn't sound right. It's 200 for the phone, 250 for the early upgrade fee which puts you on a new contract and then 325 etf to switch carriers.

Or if you are not switching carriers how is the subsidy on the last six months (gets to a no upgrade penalty) worth paying 250 extra up front. That math doesn't work as far as I can see it.
AT&T charges $320, but reduces the fee by $10 per month that you've spent on the contract. I spent 11 months on my contract, and therefore, my fee was only $210. I spent $610 on a new phone ($400 for 64GB model + $210 ETF) instead of spending $850 on an unlocked phone. I don't know if AT&T has an early upgrade fee, but I was switching carriers anyway.

Also, if you are going to upgrade and have no reason to keep your old phone, you can sell it to help recoup some of the extra costs.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #95
TuxDave
Lifer
 
TuxDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
That's not relevant to the point I was making: Where is the next big leap?
I didn't quite get your point in the first place. Why would having an Apple device make me demand Apple make a new revolutionary product? I'd have to buy the new product if I had an iPhone or if I had an Android phone. I can probably say I demand Microsoft/Apple/Google/Intel/AMD/whatever to make something super duper amazing so I can buy it. At the end of the day, the super duper amazing thing is something that I probably have to shell out money for.

Now if you were an Apple stockholder (and have a personal financial stake in the company), then I can see why you would demand your company to do super amazing things.
__________________
post count = post count + 0.999.....
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #96
TuxDave
Lifer
 
TuxDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
AT&T charges $320, but reduces the fee by $10 per month that you've spent on the contract. I spent 11 months on my contract, and therefore, my fee was only $210. I spent $610 on a new phone ($400 for 64GB model + $210 ETF) instead of spending $850 on an unlocked phone. I don't know if AT&T has an early upgrade fee, but I was switching carriers anyway.

Also, if you are going to upgrade and have no reason to keep your old phone, you can sell it to help recoup some of the extra costs.
I think we're not on the same page. I'm not advocating buying an unlocked phone. I'm advocating waiting 6 months to upgrade your phone without the early upgrade fee ($250 fee for upgrading at the 14 month mark). I haven't verified that number but if I assume it's true, I would rather just wait 6 months. You must've missed my original point.
__________________
post count = post count + 0.999.....
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by TuxDave; 12-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #97
zsdersw
Lifer
 
zsdersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Posts: 10,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDave View Post
I didn't quite get your point in the first place. Why would having an Apple device make me demand Apple make a new revolutionary product? I'd have to buy the new product if I had an iPhone or if I had an Android phone. I can probably say I demand Microsoft/Apple/Google/Intel/AMD/whatever to make something super duper amazing so I can buy it. At the end of the day, the super duper amazing thing is something that I probably have to shell out money for.

Now if you were an Apple stockholder (and have a personal financial stake in the company), then I can see why you would demand your company to do super amazing things.
I'm an enthusiast (as most of us on this forum are)... if I was an Apple user I'd always want new revolutionary products. I expect the same as an Android user.
__________________
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool -Mark Twain

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #98
TuxDave
Lifer
 
TuxDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
I'm an enthusiast (as most of us on this forum are)... if I was an Apple user I'd always want new revolutionary products. I expect the same as an Android user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw
If I were an Apple user (or someone who gives any of his money at all to Apple), I'd demand more of Apple. I'd want something revolutionary, not evolutionary.
It's probably pointless to type anymore. I get what you're saying. I personally think that it's stupid that a user of a company's product only roots for that company to succeed. I don't have a financial stake in the company, so why should I care which company comes out with something amazing. But I get what you're saying, not really arguing with you.
__________________
post count = post count + 0.999.....
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #99
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDave View Post
I think we're not on the same page. I'm not advocating buying an unlocked phone. I'm advocating waiting 6 months to upgrade your phone without the early upgrade fee ($250 fee for upgrading at the 14 month mark). I haven't verified that number but if I assume it's true, I would rather just wait 6 months. You must've missed my original point.
It sounds more like we're talking about different time tables (8 months vs. ~12 months). I bought the iPhone 5 about 11 months after I bought the iPhone 4S. I paid $220 to AT&T to cancel my account vs. $250 for an early upgrade fee. Is it a deal? Sort of. The difference between retail and on-contract is $450. Essentially, our contracts are nothing more than short-term loans... so much that they perform credit checks prior to opening an account.

Keep in mind that the early upgrade fee is worse the longer that you spend on your contract because the fee doesn't change.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #100
akugami
Diamond Member
 
akugami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 費城, 賓夕法尼亞州
Posts: 4,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
In some ways I'd say HTCs touchflo UI was up there. (Widgets, swiping left and right for different screens, etc)
I find I don't really use widgets, even on my N7. Widgets are more evolutionary than revolutionary IMHO. They're more of a logical next step and extension of the base Android UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
That's not relevant to the point I was making: Where is the next big leap?
Yes, it is relevant. You were trying to paint it as if iOS was the only thing that hasn't moved forward by leaps and bounds. The truth is that ever since iOS, things have been relatively stagnant in terms of mobile UI design. Apple's iOS was the first to put together the various UI elements that are now taken for granted in both iOS and Android and which have largely remained unchanged.

From a technical and features standpoint, yes you can do more with Android. Android has also introduced elements that have certainly improved touch based UI's. But Android has also been more of a "me too" product in terms of the major elements of the UI. All of the major grunt work was done by Apple putting together the "whole package" in iOS.
__________________
Canon 50D
Canon 16-35mm L MK1
_______________________
That was insensitive of me. I asked you to stop being stupid without considering how extremely difficult that must be for you.
akugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.