· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
mvbighead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvrick View Post
He is in Omaha. Unless you already knew and were asking for a more specific location.

Oh, and if you end up not liking costco, they'll refund your membership fee (prorated) so you don't have to wait out a full year.
This is certainly great to know as well.

I will say that the phone call was quick and easy. Hell, she started spouting ALL of the technical details of that jack and as she said more and more I'm thinking, "yep, yep, yep, definitely exactly what I am looking for". Only weirdness was that she couldn't provide an exact price over the phone, though I suppose they may change them throughout the day? Anyhoo, 16 in stock and I'll be stopping by after work.

If the membership isn't useful after a few months, I'll consider cancelling pro-rated as you suggested.
mvbighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #52
JCH13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvbighead View Post
This is certainly great to know as well.

I will say that the phone call was quick and easy. Hell, she started spouting ALL of the technical details of that jack and as she said more and more I'm thinking, "yep, yep, yep, definitely exactly what I am looking for". Only weirdness was that she couldn't provide an exact price over the phone, though I suppose they may change them throughout the day? Anyhoo, 16 in stock and I'll be stopping by after work.

If the membership isn't useful after a few months, I'll consider cancelling pro-rated as you suggested.
A number of stores do this in order to make a customer work for price-matching savings at other stores. Somewhat of a PITA when I worked at Sears in HS.

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot. -QC
JCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #53
BudAshes
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
Yeah, like me not agreeing that cinder blocks make good jack stands...if his jack is 50lbs and 3 tons, I'd assume it was aluminum.
At this point I don't even know what you are talking about. BTW I didn't complain in another thread of yours as far as I know. I made a joke about how all your threads go in this forum. I would imagine other people have noticed as well. Sorry if it offended you.

Anyway I'm done here. OP made a good point about that jack, it is pretty slow so It's obviously not what he wants.

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves. -Bill Hicks

Last edited by BudAshes; 01-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.
BudAshes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #54
mvbighead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH13 View Post
A number of stores do this in order to make a customer work for price-matching savings at other stores. Somewhat of a PITA when I worked at Sears in HS.
Yeah, I suppose that makes some sense. Though I'd think if you had the best price, you'd want people to know it.

Anyhoo, as far as I can find, they have the best price by a long shot. Amazon was right around $200 shipped. They'll be about $165 tops.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #55
Kaervak
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
I know exactly where that image is from. There were quite a few people at the Saturn boards freaking out when he posted that.

Anyway, The HF jacks seem to be the best bang for the buck. At work we have the four ton model and it lifts our 5+ ton ambulances without issue. Granted it's not lifting the entire five tons, but it's lifting a pretty damn good amount anyway. I've been meaning to upgrade from a little two ton trolley jack for a long time. Going to pickup the 3 ton model from HF this weekend for $60 after coupon. Can't beat it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #56
mvbighead
Diamond Member

Got the new jack at Costco for 99.99. Works perfectly, and is exactly what I was hoping to find.

Funny thing is, my wife and I ended up going to Costco the next day, and walked by the jacks... they were now 104.99. Not that $5 woulda stopped me from buying it, but interesting to see the price change the following day.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #57
AdamsAutoAdvice

Thumbs up Arcan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvrick View Post
I got mine from costco. Love it. Also paid around $100. It was $9x.xx before tax.

http://www.adamsautoadvice.com/2011/...r-from-costco/
The Arcan is the best Jack for $100! Trust me, you can't go wrong buying this jack.
AdamsAutoAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #58
apac
Diamond Member

Love my arcan XL. Used it a lot this summer and it worked like a champ.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #59
rommelrommel
Golden Member

I got mine for like 35 bucks, someone had returned it for some reason, works just fine for me. Has been a great jack so far and can get under even my SRT8 from the front.
rommelrommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #60
phucheneh
Diamond Member

I've had a $100 Craftsman jack for years. Solid construction and their cylinders seem to last. Mine has sat out in the rain before and still works great. Heavy damn thing, though. But it's not like I have a typical need for picking it up.

If I need to throw one in the trunk for use elsewhere, I use one of the cheapie parts store ones and lift a corner of the car at a time. Way lighter, and still works okay as long as you're careful...the little bitty lifting pads on those slip a lot easier.

I would still call them junk...but functional junk. Years of use on like a freakin' $30 jack and it still doesn't leak down. Hydraulic cylinders just seem to last a lot longer than they used to. I'm guessing it's because even the Chinese-made stuff has seals made of superior material that what old jacks used. Rubbers and plastics have come a long way over the years.
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #61
Harrod
Golden Member

I've got the 1.5 ton one as well, I've had it for the past 3 years and haven't had issues with it. As a bonus, the jack handle when flipped over will fit over a breaker bar for more leverage.
Harrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #62
onza
Diamond Member

Jack I went with, amazon had it for 150 shipped. I have a SUV + Acura TL so I went with the 3 Ton model. I'm testing it on my car today to do the summer -> winter rims swap.

Edited: 11/01/2004 at 09:21 PM by AnandTech Moderator
SC2: Lusid:160
onza is offline   Reply With Quote