· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
brainhulk
Diamond Member

Default oppo bdp-105

anybody have this yet? I'm considering getting one and was wondering if anybody had a chance to audition it. (still using a ps3 and i got the upgrade itch atm)
brainhulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
boomhower
Diamond Member

Looks nice. Lots of coin but if it does what it claims it could be worth it.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
JackBurton
Lifer

The Oppo 105 is only worth it if you are planning on using the analog section. If you are using an HDMI connection, you're better off going with the Oppo 103.

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
EvilYoda
Lifer

I'm waiting to see the reviews but given their track history, I'll probably pick one up. I had actually put off the previous generation because I couldn't utilize the DAC which has now been remedied. It does change some of my plans though, so we'll see.
EvilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
purbeast0
Lifer

could someone explain to me what is so good about these oppo players? when i went and demo's the panasonic 8000 before i purchased mine, the guy mentioned he had an oppo bluray player and i had no clue what brand that even was. then i found out they are like $500 and was like wtf? i do see you can play mkv on them - can you stream mkv to them or only play it off a burnt disc?

but in general, why are they so expensive and what is better about them? i currently just use a ps3 for all my media purposes (streaming and bluray).
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
brainhulk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
could someone explain to me what is so good about these oppo players? when i went and demo's the panasonic 8000 before i purchased mine, the guy mentioned he had an oppo bluray player and i had no clue what brand that even was. then i found out they are like $500 and was like wtf? i do see you can play mkv on them - can you stream mkv to them or only play it off a burnt disc?

but in general, why are they so expensive and what is better about them? i currently just use a ps3 for all my media purposes (streaming and bluray).
supposedly they have better video processors and the 105 has top of the line audiophile grade audio dac's. to utilize the audio though you have to use analog for the connection to the amp. That is what is stated on the spec sheet...I have yet to audition it myself though
brainhulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post

The Oppo BD players are universal players. Their strengths are great DVD upscale quality, the ability to play SACD and DVD-A discs, and great analog out quality (the Oppo 95 and 105 have the better audio section though). Some other great things about Oppo players are their build quality and their customer service which is absolutely fantastic. And for $500, I think it is a solid unit (Oppo 103). The Oppo 105 goes for ~$1200 though (the extra cost goes in to the exceptional analog stage). Definitely audiophile quality. IMO, the biggest upgrade from the Oppo 95 to the 105 was the fanless design. Nothing more annoying than hearing the Oppo 95's fan spin up.

Last edited by JackBurton; 12-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote