· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
choliscott

Default 2 SSD - Raid 0 & Trim

Hi Everyone, I ordered a couple 256 GB SSD's with the thought of setting up raid 0. Once I ordered them, I started to look at any issues of raid with SSD (yes most people would probably have done the research before hand, but the way the site was being hammered, I took the chance of ordering as I knew I already wanted 1 & could send the other back if I changed my mind).

A couple things I have noticed & that I cannot get a definite answer on is "Trim". I'm reading that raided SSD's do not have trim, while reading another message that says if you use "Intel Rapid Storage software" version 11.6 or higher, trim is active

Can someone confirm if in fact Trim is active when using the Intel RSS software 11.6 or higher or currently trim doesn't work

Thanks
EVGA GTX 460 v2 1GB
OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze
choliscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Engineer
Elite Member

Currently natively supported by Intel 7 series chipset boards with 11.xxx Intel RST and 11.xx Intel OROM. You can modify the 5 and 6 series BIOS to allow TRIM and RAID 0 on SSD's. Here's some information:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281849

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
kbp

• Download the BIOS for your board from Garikfox's FTP.
  • Uninstall whichever RST you have now (reboot if needed).
  • Install RST v11.6.2.1002 WHQL
  • Reboot, enter your BIOS and set all to default. Save and reboot.
  • Flash the modified BIOS. Reboot.
  • Enter BIOS, configure, ensuring to set SATA ports to RAID. Reboot.
  • Enter Windows and run the TRIM test

kbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post
  • Download the BIOS for your board from Garikfox's FTP.
  • Uninstall whichever RST you have now (reboot if needed).
  • Install RST v11.6.2.1002 WHQL
  • Reboot, enter your BIOS and set all to default. Save and reboot.
  • Flash the modified BIOS. Reboot.
  • Enter BIOS, configure, ensuring to set SATA ports to RAID. Reboot.
  • Enter Windows and run the TRIM test
1st... for great instructions.

2nd....Can you uninstall RST if you're already running a RAID system? I don't think there are native drivers to keep the RAID alive if you try to uninstall (unless there is something left from the <F6> install of windows)?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
kbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
1st... for great instructions.

2nd....Can you uninstall RST if you're already running a RAID system? I don't think there are native drivers to keep the RAID alive if you try to uninstall (unless there is something left from the <F6> install of windows)?
Acually, I installed the modified bios with the new OROM (v11.6.0.1702) then installed the newest IRST from Intels web site. (v11.6.0.1030) BUT - my array is not the boot drives so I don't know about "2nd" above.

Last edited by kbp; 12-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
kbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
groberts101
Golden Member

Quote:
Can you uninstall RST if you're already running a RAID system? I don't think there are native drivers to keep the RAID alive if you try to uninstall (unless there is something left from the <F6> install of windows)?
yes you can. As has been the case for quite some time now.. Windows 7 native drivers(MSAHCI) will also be applicable to raid arrays.

Windows 8 native drivers(StorAHCI) will also run the array as well.

This explains why you can install the OS to an array with default Windows drivers and then update the faster RSTe/RST drivers later on should you choose to.
groberts101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Fernando 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by groberts101 View Post
Quote:
Can you uninstall RST if you're already running a RAID system? I don't think there are native drivers to keep the RAID alive if you try to uninstall (unless there is something left from the <F6> install of windows)?
yes you can. As has been the case for quite some time now.. Windows 7 native drivers(MSAHCI) will also be applicable to raid arrays.
Windows 8 native drivers(StorAHCI) will also run the array as well.
None of the generic AHCI drivers MSAHCI.SYS (Win7) or STORAHCI.SYS (Win8) can be used as long as the Intel SATA Controllers have been set to "RAID" mode.
Nevertheless it is possible to uninstall the RST/RSTe software without any problems even if the OS has been installed onto an Intel RAID array.
Quote:
This explains why you can install the OS to an array with default Windows drivers and then update the faster RSTe/RST drivers later on should you choose to.
No, it is the Win7/Win8 in-box Intel RAID driver IASTORV.SYS, which is able to support the Intel RAID.

Last edited by Fernando 1; 12-03-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Fernando 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
groberts101
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando 1 View Post
None of the generic AHCI drivers MSAHCI.SYS (Win7) or STORAHCI.SYS (Win8) can be used as long as the Intel SATA Controllers have been set to "RAID" mode.
Nevertheless it is possible to uninstall the RST/RSTe software without any problems even if the OS has been installed onto an Intel RAID array.
No, it is the Win7/Win8 in-box Intel RAID driver IASTORV.SYS, which is able to support the Intel RAID.
Not sure where you're getting this info from as MS themselves have the same "works for raid too" info available if you look for it.

But regardless.. I've been doing raid installs for years without any F6 requirement. Including W8 as well. I typically never install Intels drivers and run baselines with default MS drivers before updating anything on my installs.

As for that last drivers actual name.. I very well may have botched that one when running from quick memory. The old memory banks are throwing more errors on ocassion as I get older.

Last edited by groberts101; 12-03-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Fernando 1

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting this info from as MS themselves have the same "works for raid too" info available if you look for it.
I have looked for it, but didn't find such information from Microsoft.
The INF file, which is managing the generic MS AHCI driver, is the file named MSHDC.INF being stored within the Windows\Inf directory. If you open this INF file, you will not find any reference to any RAID Controller. This verifies, that the generic MS AHCI driver is not able to support any Intel SATA Controller, which has been set to "RAID" mode.
By the way: The Win7/Win8 in-box RAID driver named iaStorV.sys, which natively supports all Intel RAID systems from ICH6R up, is an Intel and not an MS driver. The related INF file is named iaStorV.inf and can be found within the Windows\Inf folder as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:

But regardless.. I've been doing raid installs for years without any F6 requirement. Including W8 as well. I typically never install Intels drivers and run baselines with default MS drivers before updating anything on my installs.

As for that last drivers actual name.. I very well may have botched that one when running from quick memory. The old memory banks are throwing more errors on ocassion as I get older.
Hell, I didn't know that you could do a RAID system without the F6 drivers, lol. Learn something new every day (or at least learn it again after I forgot it the first time).

Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
groberts101
Golden Member

Quote:
I have looked for it, but didn't find such information from Microsoft.
The INF file, which is managing the generic MS AHCI driver, is the file named MSHDC.INF being stored within the Windows\Inf directory. If you open this INF file, you will not find any reference to any RAID Controller. This verifies, that the generic MS AHCI driver is not able to support any Intel SATA Controller, which has been set to "RAID" mode.
By the way: The Win7/Win8 in-box RAID driver named iaStorV.sys, which natively supports all Intel RAID systems from ICH6R up, is an Intel and not an MS driver. The related INF file is named iaStorV.inf and can be found within the Windows\Inf folder as well.
I think we're splitting hairs here now.. but if you really think about it?.. the default drivers within Windows IS an Intel designed driver to begin with. It's just supplied by Intel during OS creation and obscured by the fact that MS has renamed it to coincide with its particular naming structure, is all.

As for the ability for the native drivers to support raids. All you need do is look around the web to see many others installing W7 and W8 without the F6 driver insert requirement that you speak of. In fact.. I just reinstalled W8 last night and am actually typing from that OS as we speak.. err.. chat. My array was visible and is without issue running the default driver.

Now.. I will add this as a small disclaimer and avoid blanket statement misinterpretations. Not every system and hardware config will see the array without an F6 driver insert. Mine and any others systems that I have installed W8 on so far do not require it though. And any pre-6 series chipset has NEVER required an F6 insert to make the array visible. I have no idea (although some of it may have something to do with the mobo UEFI settings) why the variables would change in that regard.. but I do see some that do require an F6 insert to make the array visible for OS boot install.

Anywho.. that's about all I got on that tangent for now.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Fernando 1

Quote:
As for the ability for the native drivers to support raids. All you need do is look around the web to see many others installing W7 and W8 without the F6 driver insert requirement that you speak of.
Where have I written about the requirement to load "F6" drivers when trying to install Win7 or Win8 onto an Intel RAID array? Nowhere!
Of course Win7 and Win8 can be installed onto any Intel RAID system without loading any "F6" driver (I have done it very often), but it is not the generic MS AHCI driver msaci.sys/storahci.sys, but the in-box Intel RAID driver iaStorV.sys, which will do the job to detect the Intel RAID array and to support it. That is/was our controversy.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
groberts101
Golden Member

Quote:
Where have I written about the requirement to load "F6" drivers when trying to install Win7 or Win8 onto an Intel RAID array? Nowhere!
Of course Win7 and Win8 can be installed onto any Intel RAID system without loading any "F6" driver (I have done it very often), but it is not the generic MS AHCI driver msaci.sys/storahci.sys, but the in-box Intel RAID driver iaStorV.sys, which will do the job to detect the Intel RAID array and to support it. That is/was our controversy.
sheesh.. take it down a notch dude!!!!!! lol

I thought it was a discussion.. not an exclamation point contest?

Let me rephrase it for you then. I was trying to get across that the blanket statement info given above is incorrect.

Again.. I ONLY use the default msahci drivers on... ALL.. of my W7 Intel based raid installs. NEVER once have I had to use the RST drivers to make the array visible. So, in that regard.. yes.. default msahci drivers are raid capable since the OS installs them by default. Same thing on all my systems with W8 too. Nuff said and believe or figure it out any way you need to.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Fernando 1

Quote:
Again.. I ONLY use the default msahci drivers on... ALL.. of my W7 Intel based raid installs. NEVER once have I had to use the RST drivers to make the array visible. So, in that regard.. yes.. default msahci drivers are raid capable since the OS installs them by default.
That is simply not true.
You can easily verify it yourself by opening the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager and looking for the driver of the listed Intel SATA RAID Controller. You will not find the msahci/storahci, but the iaStorV.sys.
Believe me: The generic MS AHCI driver doesn't support RAID at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
choliscott

Thanks for the comment in regards to the F6 to load drivers. I was going to ask if Windows 8 had that, as I don't recall even seeing the option come up to "press F6 to install raid driver"

Quote:
EVGA GTX 460 v2 1GB
OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze
choliscott is offline   Reply With Quote