Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Imp
Lifer
 
Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,873
Default

You guys that keep rice in the cooker for days... it doesn't go dry and form a crust at the bottom? Or do you rehydrate the batch?
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
Sigh, I was hoping you wouldn't show up. Really, trolling rice cookers?
I think at one time he lost his job to an Asian, or perhaps one raped his friend? I recall he's posted in at least 3 or 4 threads proclaiming the uselessness of rice cookers and the inferiority of Asians. Of course, since we aren't black, the racism isn't quite so overt.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I think at one time he lost his job to an Asian, or perhaps one raped his friend? I recall he's posted in at least 3 or 4 threads proclaiming the uselessness of rice cookers and the inferiority of Asians. Of course, since we aren't black, the racism isn't quite so overt.
Not true at all.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Not true at all.
Tell me that in the next rice cooker thread you pop into.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Tell me that in the next rice cooker thread you pop into.
So, because I think rice cookers are useless that makes me a racist?

Whatever dude...

Making rice isn't rocket science. Anyone with a medium sized sauce pan with a lid can make perfect rice everytime. It amuses me that some people think they need a $250 appliance to make good rice.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
So, because I think rice cookers are useless that makes me a racist?

Whatever dude...

Making rice isn't rocket science. Anyone with a medium sized sauce pan with a lid can make perfect rice everytime. It amuses me that some people think they need a $250 appliance to make good rice.
Your rice cooker trolling is hilarious. When a stove and pot can cook rice without me attending it when I leave the house, please let me know. And if I'd like to keep the rice warm, I don't have to worry about an open flame when I'm in another room. Until then, you only look like a moron.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
Baked
Lifer
 
Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 36,138
Default

Dear white people, this is how I (100% asian, no mixing like Filipinos) cook my rice. Clay pot cooking for Asian is the equivalent to white people cooking with cast iron skillet, IMO.

__________________
企业管理: 管人36计[三等人用钱买人,二等人用权压人,一等人用计管人.]
Donate: This American Life
Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #33
7window
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,510
Default

brown rice last longer
7window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
Your rice cooker trolling is hilarious. When a stove and pot can cook rice without me attending it when I leave the house, please let me know. And if I'd like to keep the rice warm, I don't have to worry about an open flame when I'm in another room. Until then, you only look like a moron.
I cook rice and then I eat it. I don't start cooking dinner and leave the house and you don't have to tend to rice when it is cooking. Just simmer it for 20 minutes and when the timer goes off turn the heat off. It can sit for quite a while depending on how much you make.

But hey, don't let me stop you from buying expensive appliances. I don't have a bread maker either but lots of people swear by them. Bread making is much more labor intensive though so I can't really fault someone for having a bread machine.

If you can boil water, you can cook rice.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Dear white people, this is how I (100% asian, no mixing like Filipinos) cook my rice. Clay pot cooking for Asian is the equivalent to white people cooking with cast iron skillet, IMO.

That looks delicious. When can I come over for dinner?
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
I cook rice and then I eat it. I don't start cooking dinner and leave the house and you don't have to tend to rice when it is cooking. Just simmer it for 20 minutes and when the timer goes off turn the heat off. It can sit for quite a while depending on how much you make.

But hey, don't let me stop you from buying expensive appliances. I don't have a bread maker either but lots of people swear by them. Bread making is much more labor intensive though so I can't really fault someone for having a bread machine.

If you can boil water, you can cook rice.
You don't have my life style and I would never leave an open flame going in the house with no one to attend to it.

We come home from work. I start-up the rice cooker, we take the dogs to the park then pick-up Indian food on the way back. When we get home, a big bowl of basmati rice is ready for us. Or we come back from the park and go to the gym/run then come home and it's 8 or 9pm, instead of having some rice ready for us, why would I want to cook rice and have to wait til it's done and now it's 10pm.

Hey, if you're happy with your method of cooking that's fine but don't troll on how other's enjoy the convenience of a rice cooker.

Again, it's hilarious, keep on sounding like a moron.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet

Last edited by Capt Caveman; 12-01-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Capt Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
jagec
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 23,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Mmmmm, tasty Bacillus cereus and botulism! Yum Yum.

That said I've always reheated rice and never had a problem.
You have an anaerobic rice cooker? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
We come home from work. I start-up the rice cooker, we take the dogs to the park then pick-up Indian food on the way back. When we get home, a big bowl of basmati rice is ready for us.
If you're picking up food anyway, why not just get THEIR rice? Much cheaper than buying a rice cooker, surely?

Last edited by jagec; 12-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #38
Rumpltzer
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 4,540
Default

Whenever someone mentions a Zojirushi rice cooker, you know that some Uncle Ben's cracker is going to walk into the thread proclaiming rice expertise over those who eat it just about every day of their life.

This is normal. It's like people slowing down to gawk at a traffic accident; just ignore it an move on.



My mother gave me a cheap, used Sanyo rice cooker when I went to college, and it served me well for like 15 years. It had an aluminum pot, and it would slightly burn or leave a crust at the bottom of the pot; made cleaning it a little more work. Also, if I left it on warm after it cooked, the rice would dry out.

Once I left school, had money, and had people in my life who care more about their rice, I bought a Zojirushi. It never burns or leaves a crust. The rice is consistently chewy and fluffy. The pot is so easy to clean. It has a clock and timer, so I can set it to be cooked when I get home from work. Although I normally turn it off a few hours after cooking, my family who visits me will leave it on warm for at least a day. I don't know why the rice doesn't dry out... but it doesn't.

Could be that I overspent on the Zojirushi. Perhaps going from an ancient rice cooker to a this thing makes me over-appreciate it. I guess I can afford it, so I'm okay with it.
__________________
我的佩佩
Rumpltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #39
radhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Silly Asians... can't cook rice without a rice cooker.

You know, you can make perfect rice in one of these which you probably already have in your cabinets.
<pic of a sauce-pan>
You are not too far off - traditional (read older generation) cooks use something like that. My mom would never use a rice cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2liv View Post
im told you can just use a microwave.
although i havent tried that because i have a rice cooker.
We use the microwave often, and don't hate it too much. Takes 15-20 minutes. You should cover the vessel for the last couple of minutes for better results, so that's a bit of monitoring. I like rice soft, so I let it run for 18 minutes straight, then cover it for another 4 minutes.

We have a Black-n-Decker rice-cooker that we've been okay with. Never heard of Zojirushi before - sounds tempting, but a price tag of $250 is daunting. Are their conventional rice cookers just as good?
__________________
Nikon D90/ 17-50mm F2.8/ 70-300mm /35mm F1.8 / 50mm F1.8 / SB600 / SB400 /
radhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #40
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,341
Default

*bailing out of rice argument*
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.

Last edited by WelshBloke; 12-02-2012 at 06:07 AM.
WelshBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #41
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpltzer View Post
Whenever someone mentions a Zojirushi rice cooker, you know that some Uncle Ben's cracker is going to walk into the thread proclaiming rice expertise over those who eat it just about every day of their life.

This is normal. It's like people slowing down to gawk at a traffic accident; just ignore it an move on.



My mother gave me a cheap, used Sanyo rice cooker when I went to college, and it served me well for like 15 years. It had an aluminum pot, and it would slightly burn or leave a crust at the bottom of the pot; made cleaning it a little more work. Also, if I left it on warm after it cooked, the rice would dry out.

Once I left school, had money, and had people in my life who care more about their rice, I bought a Zojirushi. It never burns or leaves a crust. The rice is consistently chewy and fluffy. The pot is so easy to clean. It has a clock and timer, so I can set it to be cooked when I get home from work. Although I normally turn it off a few hours after cooking, my family who visits me will leave it on warm for at least a day. I don't know why the rice doesn't dry out... but it doesn't.

Could be that I overspent on the Zojirushi. Perhaps going from an ancient rice cooker to a this thing makes me over-appreciate it. I guess I can afford it, so I'm okay with it.
Uncle Ben's cracker? Now whose being racist?

I've never bought or cooked Uncle Ben's rice. I usually buy Jasmine or Basmati rice. We probably make a dish with rice at least once or twice a week, not everyday. Maybe if I ate more rice I'd think about getting a rice cooker... maybe.

Don't get so offended. It's just my opinion.

BTW-I like PF Changs.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 12-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #42
sonambulo
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,785
Default

Since the last rice cooker thread, I swapped out my US model Zoji for a JPN model Zoji with a cast iron bowl. Insane. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
An oven does.
Any recipes? Yes, I know I could just use google but I trust your cooking advice so this is me asking you pretty please.

Pretty please
__________________
LET IT GO

snowman avatar sucks
sonambulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #43
bononos
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
You don't have my life style and I would never leave an open flame going in the house with no one to attend to it.

We come home from work. I start-up the rice cooker, we take the dogs to the park then pick-up Indian food on the way back. When we get home, a big bowl of basmati rice is ready for us. Or we come back from the park and go to the gym/run then come home and it's 8 or 9pm, instead of having some rice ready for us, why would I want to cook rice and have to wait til it's done and now it's 10pm.

Hey, if you're happy with your method of cooking that's fine but don't troll on how other's enjoy the convenience of a rice cooker.

Again, it's hilarious, keep on sounding like a moron.
Yeah a rice cooker is handy to 'set it and forget it until you need to eatit'. The better rice cookers have a shutoff/warm mode at the final stage of cooking so as not to overcook the bottom of the pot and create a crust which take some effort to clean up.
bononos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #44
glen
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,985
Default

Hold on, we have gotten a bit off track of my question.
To be clear, let's say I cook rice in a fuzzy logic cooker. The rice finishes and the machine switches from cook to warm. I leave it on warm ALL evening and night. Is the rice ok the next day at say lunch time?
__________________
Pliablemoose for elite
glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #45
yuchai
Senior Member
 
yuchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Hold on, we have gotten a bit off track of my question.
To be clear, let's say I cook rice in a fuzzy logic cooker. The rice finishes and the machine switches from cook to warm. I leave it on warm ALL evening and night. Is the rice ok the next day at say lunch time?
It's definitely safe to eat. The real question is whether the rice still has enough moisture or the right texture. That would depend on the rice cooker I think.
yuchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #46
Dulanic
Diamond Member
 
Dulanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: IL
Posts: 8,860
Default

Old rice makes great fried rice.
Dulanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #47
yuchai
Senior Member
 
yuchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 867
Default

If you eat rice regularly, a rice cooker is a no-brainer. There is a reason why most households in big rice eating countries have rice cookers, and it's not because they don't know how to make rice on the stove-top.

I also make clay pot rice, like someone posted above, sometimes. But that doesn't change the fact that I use the rice cooker at least 90% of the time when making rice.
yuchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
Kreon
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 1,329
Default

I love my rice cooker. It was given to me as I went to college by my parents. We had never used one before, but it was basically the only cooking thing that wasn't on the banned list (turns out it was still banned). However, I hid it and learned to cook a ton of stuff with it. Between that and the microwave I had the next year, I was cooking most of my meals.

Mine is an Oster, and my parents paid $10 for it. Now that I have a proper kitchen, I usually only use it for cooking rice and steaming vegetables. Back in the day, I did sauces and other crock pot like recipes in it.

And it really does make cooking rice much easier. I don't measure anything: the measuring cup that came with it sits in my rice canister, and the pan has water fill lines on it. So much easier than meauring water to boil. Also, its a set and forget thing. I just toss the rice (and veges if steaming) and push the button. Nothing else to deal with while I cook the rest of dinner. Is making rice on a stove hard: absolutely not, but in a rice cooker it is even easier.

Another thing I do: My pan in my rice cooker is notstick (this wouldn't work if not). There are plenty of things you can do with the crust on the bottom. You have to let it go way to long, but you can get a single cohesive chunk. All the rice above it is normal, but the crust can be used for tons of things. Often, I will save it and eat it like a rice cake for a snack or a side dish. Break it into pieces or slice it and serve with a thickened teriyaki sauce or BBQ sauce. If you want to make a presentation of your main dish, serve it on the crust.

And yeah, leaving it overnight will be fine. I've done it before and had no issues. You will likely get a crust (see above). Or you could refrigerate it and make fried rice for lunch. Yum.

TLR Rice cooker is great. Makes an easy task (cooking rice) easier. You can also cook a ton more in it if you have to. If you get a crust, you can break it up and treat it like rice cake (dip it in sauce) or serve food on it (think bread bowl)
Kreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #49
glen
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuchai View Post
It's definitely safe to eat. The real question is whether the rice still has enough moisture or the right texture. That would depend on the rice cooker I think.
This is why I am a bit worried:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus cereus


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Germination and growth generally occurs between 1050 C (50122 F),[8] though some strains are psychrotrophic.[10] Bacterial growth results in production of enterotoxins, one of which is highly resistant to heat and to pH between 2 and 11;[11] ingestion leads to two types of illness, diarrheal and emetic (vomiting) syndrome.[12]
The diarrheal type is associated with a wide-range of foods, has an 8- to 16.5-hour incubation time and is associated with diarrhea and gastrointestinal pain. Also known as the long-incubation form of B. cereus food poisoning, it might be difficult to differentiate from poisoning caused by Clostridium perfringens.[11]
The emetic form is commonly caused by rice that is not cooked for a time and temperature sufficient to kill any spores present, then improperly refrigerated. It can produce a toxin, cereulide, which is not inactivated by later reheating. This form leads to nausea and vomiting 15 hours after consumption. It can be difficult to distinguish from other short-term bacterial foodborne pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus.[11]
__________________
Pliablemoose for elite
glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #50
waggy
No Lifer
 
waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 63,927
Default

I love my rice cooker. it is also a steamer.

I prefer steamed veggies over boiled. so we use it as much for that as rice.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.