· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
cmdrdredd
Lifer

I don't know about returning it for that reason, but I do think having a day zero update is a little much.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
Rhezuss
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
1.5 hours? That's a medium poop session for me when I get cooking on my phone, just boot up the Wii and let it do its thing. Whats the big deal?
This minus the poop session

Win7 Pro 64-bit | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | i7 3770K w/ 212 EVO @ 4.4GHz | G.skill Ares 2x4gb DDR3-1866 | M4 128gb SSD (Boot) + WD RE4 500gb (Games) + WD Blue 320gb (Stuff) | EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (step-up for the FTW in process) | X-Fi Titanium HD | XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold | Samsung S27D590P 27" LCD 1080p | CM690 II Advanced | Logitech Z623 |
Rhezuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Auric
Diamond Member

Obviously there is a significant lead time to build/ship/stock. They needed to be available now for the mindless affluenza season. If some brat (or worse, manchild) cannot handle such minor delayed gratification then they ought get used to it else be prepared for a miserable existence. Returning it for that reason is tantrumesque/cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face especially since wasting more effort doing so than simply allowing the update while you go eat puddin' or whatever.

Last edited by Auric; 11-28-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spellin'
Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
psoomah
Banned

Default Here's why the Wii U CONCEPT fails.

Mothers, already sick and tired of underfoot, broken, stepped on, fought over and lost Wii controllers are now looking at a system that retains those controllers and then adds ANOTHER 'master' controller WITH A GLASS SCREEN that is absolutely GUARANTEED to ignite hard fought battles over control in multiplayer games and will cost $150 to replace ... when they become available. There was a REASON the Kinect was the fastest selling electronics device ever - mothers. Nothing to step on, break, fight over or lose. A mother's dream scenario.

Mothers everywhere are going to take one look at the Wii U and say H*LL NO, not in MY house.

So much for the 'family' market.

The screen controller is the polar opposite of the Wii's 'just pick up and play' simplicity that attracted tens of millions of new 'casual' players. EACH Wii U game will require some learning curve, some fairly simple, some complicated and complex and require looking up and down at the tv and controller. All those casual Wii buyers that bought based on easy simplicity and instant playability aren't going to buy in to the Wii U. Especially now that they are aware of the Kinect's hands free model.

So much for the 'casual' market.

The Wii U graphics are approximately on par with consoles that are over half a decade old and next year Microsoft and Sony debut next gen consoles whose graphics and AI will blow the Wii U away. It doesn't matter that once the developers learn the hardware the game's graphics will get much better, by then the next gen consoles will be out and totally pwn anything the Wii U will ever be capable of ... and the developers will be using their money and manpower to make games for the two next gen systems they KNOW will sell like hotcakes into the foreseeable future. The 'hard core' market will have no interest in throwing their money away on a console that doesn't even provide the graphics and frame rate of current games on their present consoles, not to mention the Wii U's online ecosystem is far cruder than what already exists on the Xbox and PS3. Gamers already on the PS3 and/or Xbox 360 have no reason to buy the Wii U. And they won't. Xbox and PS4 developers are going to drop the Wii U like a hot badger.

So much for the 'hard core' market.

Nintendo has been losing money for the last few quarters. I predict Wii U sales are going to fall off rapidly after the holiday season and fall off a cliff after Microsoft and Sony first demo their new consoles and especially after Microsoft first demonstrates what the Kinect 2 will be capable of. After that Nintendo is going deep into the red with no prospect of seeing black with the Wii U. It's going to get very bloody.

Expect that first Xbox 720 and PS4 reveal to start sooner than later, probably during the January shows. No need to wait once the holiday sales taper off, time to start building buzz. E3 will just be the coup de grace.

This isn't pro or anti Nintendo. It's just a hard cold LOOK at what the Wii U IS and the logical consequences of that. It is what it is. Hardcore Nintendo fanbois - fell free to keep your knee jerk reason free 'counterpoints' to yourselves.

Prediction - Two years from today Nintendo will be out of the hardware business and in the business of putting their IP on everyone else's devices.

Last edited by psoomah; 11-21-2012 at 07:48 PM.
psoomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #30
thescreensavers
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenor View Post
I was going to get one, had a deluxe bought on Craigslist for $50 over retail and backed out after seeing how horid the response time of the UI and the limited ram the system has and slow clock speed.
Why does ram matter? You running W8 on it? lol

WRB 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #31
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Why does ram matter? You running W8 on it? lol
One of the main complaints about the PS3 was the low memory count. That created issues for many games including GTA and Skyrim.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #32
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoomah View Post
Mothers, already sick and tired of underfoot, broken, stepped on, fought over and lost Wii controllers are now looking at a system that retains those controllers and then adds ANOTHER 'master' controller WITH A GLASS SCREEN that is absolutely GUARANTEED to ignite hard fought battles over control in multiplayer games and will cost $150 to replace ... when they become available. There was a REASON the Kinect was the fastest selling electronics device ever - mothers. Nothing to step on, break, fight over or lose. A mother's dream scenario.

Mothers everywhere are going to take one look at the Wii U and say H*LL NO, not in MY house.

So much for the 'family' market.

The screen controller is the polar opposite of the Wii's 'just pick up and play' simplicity that attracted tens of millions of new 'casual' players. EACH Wii U game will require some learning curve, some fairly simple, some complicated and complex and require looking up and down at the tv and controller. All those casual Wii buyers that bought based on easy simplicity and instant playability aren't going to buy in to the Wii U. Especially now that they are aware of the Kinect's hands free model.

So much for the 'casual' market.

The Wii U graphics are approximately on par with consoles that are over half a decade old and next year Microsoft and Sony debut next gen consoles whose graphics and AI will blow the Wii U away. It doesn't matter that once the developers learn the hardware the game's graphics will get much better, by then the next gen consoles will be out and totally pwn anything the Wii U will ever be capable of ... and the developers will be using their money and manpower to make games for the two next gen systems they KNOW will sell like hotcakes into the foreseeable future. The 'hard core' market will have no interest in throwing their money away on a console that doesn't even provide the graphics and frame rate of current games on their present consoles, not to mention the Wii U's online ecosystem is far cruder than what already exists on the Xbox and PS3. Gamers already on the PS3 and/or Xbox 360 have no reason to buy the Wii U. And they won't. Xbox and PS4 developers are going to drop the Wii U like a hot badger.

So much for the 'hard core' market.

Nintendo has been losing money for the last few quarters. I predict Wii U sales are going to fall off rapidly after the holiday season and fall off a cliff after Microsoft and Sony first demo their new consoles and especially after Microsoft first demonstrates what the Kinect 2 will be capable of. After that Nintendo is going deep into the red with no prospect of seeing black with the Wii U. It's going to get very bloody.

Expect that first Xbox 720 and PS4 reveal to start sooner than later, probably during the January shows. No need to wait once the holiday sales taper off, time to start building buzz. E3 will just be the coup de grace.

This isn't pro or anti Nintendo. It's just a hard cold LOOK at what the Wii U IS and the logical consequences of that. It is what it is. Hardcore Nintendo fanbois - fell free to keep your knee jerk reason free 'counterpoints' to yourselves.

Prediction - Two years from today Nintendo will be out of the hardware business and in the business of putting their IP on everyone else's devices.
you are a idiot.

but the highlighted? really? you sir are a retard. NO WAY in hell does that happen. just..no.
waggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #33
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
you are a idiot.

but the highlighted? really? you sir are a retard. NO WAY in hell does that happen. just..no.
People said that about Sega back in the 90s too.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #34
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
People said that about Sega back in the 90s too.
Sega stopped backing it. It was not because people didn't want it. IF Sega would have continued to back the dreamcast (wich was a good system. Sega dropped it far far to fast)

Nintendo will not be putting the hardware Or IP up for sale in 2 years. just not going to happen. Perhaps in another 30 years but not way in hell in 2. not even in the wii-u bombs. They made a ton of money with the wii, all the different handhelds etc.

While i think the wii-u will not be as popular as the wii it is going to do well enough.

Last edited by waggy; 11-22-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
tipoo

From what I hear the update speed never saturated most peoples internet connections, it was going way slower than what they can download at. So with only 400,000 Wii Us out there Nintendos network infrastructure is struggling. Hope they upgrade fast before millions of them are out there.
tipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #36
Dumac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDavid View Post
1 1/2 hours to download and update the system for first use?!! WTF is that? Get the kids all excited then go thru this? It is now being returned. Buyer beware. I don't care how "cool" the games will be. Companies need to get a clue.....

BTW: I have a 26mb connection so its not the connection...............
Wait, this makes 0 sense. There is a large day 1 patch. You complete the download, which means that your issue with the console is now over and done with, but you return the console anyway?

What the hell?

This of the kids. I'm sure they'd rather keep the console than you return it after you have already downloaded the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Updates? Get used to it, it's part of the console model now. No more plug-in and play, like old cart-based consoles.
No, you don't have to get used to it. This is a one time patch for launch. It is basically downloading the OS, since the units weren't physically shipped with a fully functioning OS. You won't have to do it ever again most likely.

Future updates should be of a much more managable scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
That's what I heard, and if it gets halted anywhere in the middle of it (download or flashing), it borks your system. Ouch.
False about quitting during downloading. You can interrupt downloading as much as you like. Infact, it can even download the update in the background while you play games on your Wii U.

If you quit during installation, then yes it borks your system. That goes for all consoles, though. That "DO NOT SHUT OFF THE POWER" warning has a purpose.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #37
Sable

Quote:
1 1/2 hours to download and update the system for first use?!! WTF is that? Get the kids all excited then go thru this? It is now being returned. Buyer beware. I don't care how "cool" the games will be. Companies need to get a clue.....

You're joking of course.
Fractal R3 White || Asus P8Z77-V Pro || Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.25v || Arctic Freezer i30 || 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP || eVGA GTX 680 2GB || 1x Samsung 850 256GB 1x Samsung 830 256GB || WD Caviar Black 1TB || 4x WD Green 2TB 2x RAID1 || Corsair AX750 || BenQ XL2420T

Fractal Node304 White || Asus H81I-PLUS || Intel Pentium G3420 || Arctic Freezer 7 rev2 || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical || Gigabyte GTX 750 1GB || Crucial V4 64GB || WD Caviar Black 500GB || Be Quiet L8 430W
Sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
triton2k3

Quote:

I haven't done any research on these cool future games but I feel like they blew the launch by releasing games that Xbox and ps3 have had for years... Batman .... I played it at best buy and the controller is interesting but they didn't do anything better than what Xbox has been doing for years. Hope to see some interesting stuff come out of this console in the future.
triton2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #39
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Nintendo will not be putting the hardware Or IP up for sale in 2 years. just not going to happen. Perhaps in another 30 years but not way in hell in 2. not even in the wii-u bombs. They made a ton of money with the wii, all the different handhelds etc.
Agree it's not likely to happen. However, if the Wii U bombs all bets are off the table. These days companies are make/break fast and hard. Nintendo lives and breathes games and if their flagship console bombs it will eat the company out from the inside and leave it a husk of its former self.

I define bomb as a catastrophe of sales, though, and it's likely that this will sell enough not to be considered a bomb, even if it's not as successful as the Wii.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Agree it's not likely to happen. However, if the Wii U bombs all bets are off the table. These days companies are make/break fast and hard. Nintendo lives and breathes games and if their flagship console bombs it will eat the company out from the inside and leave it a husk of its former self.

I define bomb as a catastrophe of sales, though, and it's likely that this will sell enough not to be considered a bomb, even if it's not as successful as the Wii.
there are arleady reports the it has sold more then the Wii the 1st week.

in order for Nintendo to sale off its hardware part in 2 years it would take something major. more then the wiiu bombing hard. they still make a ton of money off the DS series.

Also Nintendo is not a typical business. they kept the hardware during the lean years. i just don't see them doing now that systems are hot just because of a stinker.

to say nintendo was going to sale off hardware in 2 years? fucking insane.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #41
sourceninja
Diamond Member

Honestly, I wish nintendo would just stop making consoles and instead make games for the xbox/ps3. I bought the gamecube and the wii just to play zelda/mario games. I'm not doing it again.
sourceninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
sounds just like the ps3 updates
"In order to play Grand Turismo 5, you must log onto PSN"
Me: F--k
"Can't log in to PSN, system update required. Update now?"
Me: Yes
"Downloading update, 15min remaining"
"Update complete, restarting system"
Me: Finally
"Grand Turismo 5 requires an update. Download now?"
Me: Argh, okay.
"Downloading update 1 of 20, 1hr remaining"
Me:

Steam can be even worse. There's a 9.5gb "patch" for Assassin's Creed Revelations sitting in my downloads list. Guess it has to download the entire game again to update it.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #43
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
Steam can be even worse. There's a 9.5gb "patch" for Assassin's Creed Revelations sitting in my downloads list. Guess it has to download the entire game again to update it.
Please say you are f**king kidding me.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Please say you are f**king kidding me.

The game is installed already so I have no clue what this is for. It downloaded 3.5gb before I caught it.

Boycott SiriusXM
Old 12-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #45
KaOTiK
Lifer

Quote:
Steam has been converting games over to a new file system over the past year to decrease file size of the download. Some games require you to redownload the entire game again, others just a portion.
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #46
HeXen
Diamond Member

returning it cause update takes too long. kinda a childish reaction isnt it?
make conscious effort to broaden your understanding and Exercise patience, it's part of growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiK View Post
Steam has been converting games over to a new file system over the past year to decrease file size of the download. Some games require you to redownload the entire game again, others just a portion.
maybe that explains why Alan Wake has been redownloading some 7.5gb's like 3 times this week. I thought my Steam install was borked.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #47
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:

The game is installed already so I have no clue what this is for. It downloaded 3.5gb before I caught it.
Damn!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #48
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiK View Post
I guess I should start reading those Steam news things that pop up. Sucks if you have low bandwidth caps.

Boycott SiriusXM
Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #49
Fox5
Diamond Member

Quote:
there are arleady reports the it has sold more then the Wii the 1st week.

in order for Nintendo to sale off its hardware part in 2 years it would take something major. more then the wiiu bombing hard. they still make a ton of money off the DS series.

Also Nintendo is not a typical business. they kept the hardware during the lean years. i just don't see them doing now that systems are hot just because of a stinker.

to say nintendo was going to sale off hardware in 2 years? fucking insane.
Sega had multiple failures...
32x, Sega CD, and Sega Saturn, followed by Dreamcast, all within a relatively short time period, it was like 2-3 years between each.

Nintendo has had one failure, that was the Virtual Boy, and they released a new system within the next year.

If Wii U failed completely (worse than gamecube, so much that they couldn't sustain a business with it), they would probably just make a new high end system in 2 to 3 years to follow along with sony and microsoft. Maybe they'll partner with someone else too, perhaps Valve in this hypothetical future.

heatware
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35565
Fox5 is offline   Reply With Quote