· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #151
TechBoyJK
Lifer

this game is tits.

Started last night and got about 2 hours in. It's been cold all week. Its 70 and sunny outside, and I'm sitting inside about to play this game.
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #152
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

I got in and played a little last night as well. The character movement and shooting mechanics are very visceral. They did a great job with that part of the game. Didn't delve into the story too much. Just ran around shooting goats and making holsters/backpacks lol.

The facial animations are eerily lifelike too. Even though there is a certain art style to the characters I find their animations amazing. Seems to perform pretty well, but I'm running it at optimal settings for now. May up it to ultra to see how my 7970 handles it.
VulgarDisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #153
moonbogg
Diamond Member

I have learned that SLI is broken for DX11 in Nvidias latest beta driver. They know its broken and have yet to fix it. This could be a while. In the mean time, the game is running great with no AA on a single card. I say screw em, let them takes months to fix it. By that time I will be done with the game and back to BF3.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #154
supremor

I am also unable to use DX11 with SLI with 310.64's but I atleast it works fine now in DX9. Being a Surround user I vastly prefer being able to play on all three monitors than a few DX11 bells and whistles (most of which don't allow for reasonable fps at my resolution anyways even with SLI).

It's a pretty solid game but I find it quite similar to FC2 which everyone seemed to hate (myself included). Only put in like 2 hours so far though.
Don't be a Tweakboy, have some integrity.
supremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #155
you2
Diamond Member

How does far cry 3 differ from far cry 2?
you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #156
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by you2 View Post
How does far cry 3 differ from far cry 2?
It's exactly like Far Cry 2 minus all the really annoying stuff with a bunch of really good stuff added.

So, not much like it at all.

I just spent 3 hours hunting sharks. You don't even have to do anything in this game and you can waste time ahah. It's so crazy hunting sharks because you kill one then have to swim down and skin it. 3 separate times I had another shark come and attack me from behind making me soil myself. It's so nerve wracking swimming down, and swimming back up and climbing onto your boat again lol.

That said, I'm almost maxed out on all my containers except for the ones you have to complete quests to get. Didn't take long at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #157
moonbogg
Diamond Member

This game is badass and I got SLI working. Running great, but there is a specific spot here and there which makes SLI usage go down, but for the most part it runs very good with SLI. Had to uninstall driver, redownload it and install, then do some stuff with inspector etc etc to get SLI to work. If anyone wants to know i'll tell more but i'm tired. I've been hunting wild bore for a while and doing missions. Hell of a game, and miles ahead of far cry 2.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #158
scooterlibby

Tried the VPN thing and it worked. Thanks for the tips. I used the latest divers and updated the game, but it's very unstable and my FPS is in the 20's (shouldn't be, based on the setup listed in my sig). I'm hoping this will magically be cured by some patch on US launch day, but as I write this I'm realizing how ridiculous that sounds.

Origin Id: austin_erik
scooterlibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #159
JamesV
Golden Member

Figured I'd pick this up during a 50% off Steam sale, but with all the great reviews, and needing a good new shooter, I'm sold... preordered.

For those of you playing... does the game have an editor like the first Far Cry? Far Cry's editor was the best I've ever used - real time terrain deformation and painting, toggle to 'game mode' near instantly to play on what you are editing, etc...
JamesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #160
jimrawr

preordered as well
jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #161
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Sounds like it fixed what I disliked about FC2. Sounds like the perfect christmas gift...
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #162
TheSlamma
Diamond Member

How long does the coop last? and is the coop pretty re-playable?
TheSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #163
ShadowOfMyself
Diamond Member

Only tried it for a couple hours to get a feel for the gameplay and its pretty solid, but I gotta said the graphics are hugely overrated... Some reviews up there were hailing it as the best looking pc game ever, and IMO Crysis 2 looks much better in some areas

Far Cry 3 is just really inconsistent... generally it looks best during sunset/sunrise, but thats the usual for every game, since you get the warm orangeish global lightning with strong shadows being projected on everything

During daylight its really meeeh... Sometimes it looks really outdated

Oh well, it seems to be a great game though, just visually underwhelming
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #164
Anteaus
Golden Member

Just so everyone knows, if I hear that there are malaria pills in this game I'm walking the other way.
Anteaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #165
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
Just so everyone knows, if I hear that there are malaria pills in this game I'm walking the other way.
I haven't come across them in about 10 hours of play so far. Like I said earlier. They took out the broken and annoying gameplay elements of Far Cry 2 and added a bunch of stuff that mostly works pretty well.

The crafting is kinda cheesy and you have to suspend disbelief when doing it because making you get a certain animal skin to craft a bag is just stupid. Why do I need tiger skin to make this bag? Why not just a bunch of dog skins? Why do I need shark skin to make this ammo pouch when I could use Tiger skin to do the same thing?

The sillyness of the required crafting ingredients aside it's a decent gameplay mechanic that gets you into the hunting aspects of the game.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #166
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterlibby View Post
Tried the VPN thing and it worked. Thanks for the tips. I used the latest divers and updated the game, but it's very unstable and my FPS is in the 20's (shouldn't be, based on the setup listed in my sig). I'm hoping this will magically be cured by some patch on US launch day, but as I write this I'm realizing how ridiculous that sounds.

Are you playing with AA on? Even a 680 has a rough time with AA. Also, pay attention to the level of post effects! That setting does hit performance pretty bad as well believe it or not. I played with it on low just to see and the FPS goes up quite a bit really.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #167
DeadFred
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
I haven't come across them in about 10 hours of play so far. Like I said earlier. They took out the broken and annoying gameplay elements of Far Cry 2 and added a bunch of stuff that mostly works pretty well.

The crafting is kinda cheesy and you have to suspend disbelief when doing it because making you get a certain animal skin to craft a bag is just stupid. Why do I need tiger skin to make this bag? Why not just a bunch of dog skins? Why do I need shark skin to make this ammo pouch when I could use Tiger skin to do the same thing?

The sillyness of the required crafting ingredients aside it's a decent gameplay mechanic that gets you into the hunting aspects of the game.
This sounds nothing like Far Cry 1, I loved that game, Far Cry 2.......not so much.
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #168
jimrawr

Can anyone tell me where the save game files are stored?
jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #169
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Scouting a base, and systematically taking out guards through stealth/sniping is so satisfying. Also, the peak/lean mechanic is extraordinarily well done. Took me a while to even notice it was there, but when I did it blew my mind. When you get close to cover and your character shoulders or raises his weapon press the iron sight button. You will be stuck to the cover and peak out. It's so easy to do, and you can control very well how much of your body is showing.

More games need to be like this because it's seamless.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #170
Stringjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
Scouting a base, and systematically taking out guards through stealth/sniping is so satisfying. Also, the peak/lean mechanic is extraordinarily well done. Took me a while to even notice it was there, but when I did it blew my mind. When you get close to cover and your character shoulders or raises his weapon press the iron sight button. You will be stuck to the cover and peak out. It's so easy to do, and you can control very well how much of your body is showing.

More games need to be like this because it's seamless.

Just personal preference, but I'll take a real "lean" mechanic any day. I don't understand why game makers go through the trouble of cover systems like this when all they have to do is just allow you to manually lean. For one thing, the system forces you to be close to an appropriate object to work properly.

Crysis2 had that same kind of cover system, and IMO it's inferior to original Crysis, which let you quickly lean any time or place you wanted.

Anybody who has played the CasusBelli MP mod for Crysis also knows how important the lean mechanic is to doing well. Cover systems are way too slow compared to the real thing.
Stringjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #171
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringjam View Post
Just personal preference, but I'll take a real "lean" mechanic any day. I don't understand why game makers go through the trouble of cover systems like this when all they have to do is just allow you to manually lean. For one thing, the system forces you to be close to an appropriate object to work properly.

Crysis2 had that same kind of cover system, and IMO it's inferior to original Crysis, which let you quickly lean any time or place you wanted.

Anybody who has played the CasusBelli MP mod for Crysis also knows how important the lean mechanic is to doing well. Cover systems are way too slow compared to the real thing.
Crysis 2's cover system seems far more clunky to me. If I remember correctly you had to actually hit a button to stick to cover first. In this game it just works.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #172
BlueWeasel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
BlueWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #173
pontifex
Lifer

saw some video of this and certainly does look cool. reminds me a alot of far cry 2. glad to hear they took at the annoying crap.
pontifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #174
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Now the only annoying thing in the game is the animals lol. You'll be sitting in the woods lining up the perfect shot with your sniper rifle to kill the guard in the distance. You fire. All the sudden you hear a roar and a freaking tiger comes sprinting at you.

I suppose the tigers are better than the komodo dragons. The komodo dragons are hidden by the grass most of the time.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #175
HeXen
Diamond Member

i wonder if those animals would even always just attack you like that in real life. Usually a gun shot or something would scare many animals away at least cause some a change in action.

i hate consistant trigger points. i'd rather see some randomness in reactive behaviors. especially in enemies, not everyone just Rambo's out when someone in the bushes fires a shot.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote