Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

View Poll Results: Are You Concerned about the Fiscal Cliff?
Yes 14 20.29%
No 55 79.71%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
Come on man, you can't really be trying to pass off this notion as a reality to anyone who is actually paying attention. Repub leaders have been stonewalling Obama since he won the first election and have openly said so. If anyone is not working together it is the right.

Back to my answer. Hell no I am not worried. If we go over the cliff maybe home prices will finally get back to where they were supposed to be all along. That means if my wife manages to survive the cuts in the government we should be in the market for a big, beautiful new house.
Republicans are willing to offer $895B of tax revenue increases over 10 years...but Obama wants $1.6T now. Dems say they will cut spending by $400B (that comes later!) but want an additional $50B stimulus package.

Dems are obviously not seriously negotiating.

Dems seem to be increasing OK with our country going over the fiscal cliff. It that sparks another recession, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Republicans.
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein

Last edited by Doc Savage Fan; 11-30-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
rdubbz
Diamond Member
 
rdubbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,040
Default

Rep should just let the dems do whatever they want. when the economy's still in the trash in 4 years, obama will have no one to blame. cant blame bush in 2016.
rdubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
Republicans are willing to offer $895B of tax revenue increases over 10 years...but Obama wants $1.6T now. Dems say they will cut spending by $400B (that comes later!) but want an additional $50B stimulus package.

Dems are obviously not seriously negotiating.

Dems seem to be increasing OK with our country going over the fiscal cliff. It that sparks another recession, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Republicans.
You are in the minority on this rant check this out.....

The poll also indicates that the GOP is not exactly bargaining from a position of strength. Fifty-three percent of the country has an unfavorable view of the Republican Party; only 42% want to see congressional Republican have more influence than the president over the direction the nation takes in the next two years. And seven in ten say the GOP has not done enough to cooperate with Obama.


http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WXE1XdLpuXU4ZQ
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member
 
Pr0d1gy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where I want.
Posts: 7,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
You are in the minority on this rant check this out.....

The poll also indicates that the GOP is not exactly bargaining from a position of strength. Fifty-three percent of the country has an unfavorable view of the Republican Party; only 42% want to see congressional Republican have more influence than the president over the direction the nation takes in the next two years. And seven in ten say the GOP has not done enough to cooperate with Obama.


http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WXE1XdLpuXU4ZQ

Not only that but Dems remember the last time they worked with the Repubs while they held the top office (Clinton), because they ended up talking Clinton into repealing Glass-Steagall...probably the stupidest thing our government has done since the Great Depression.
__________________
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is RIGHT. -MLK, Jr.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35504
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #30
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
Not only that but Dems remember the last time they worked with the Repubs while they held the top office (Clinton), because they ended up talking Clinton into repealing Glass-Steagall...probably the stupidest thing our government has done since the Great Depression.
Agreed The Repeal of Glass-Steagall was a Republican idea that Clinton jumped on board which ushered in TBTF and the biggest crash of our Financial System since the Great Depression. The Republicons have such GREAT ideas.... I don't give Clinton a pass for being stupid enough to sign it into law either. In his defense he on record saying that signing this law was a "mistake"...a very costly mistake for Americans indeed.
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young

Last edited by Ausm; 11-30-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
You are in the minority on this rant check this out.....

The poll also indicates that the GOP is not exactly bargaining from a position of strength. Fifty-three percent of the country has an unfavorable view of the Republican Party; only 42% want to see congressional Republican have more influence than the president over the direction the nation takes in the next two years. And seven in ten say the GOP has not done enough to cooperate with Obama.


http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WXE1XdLpuXU4ZQ
It wasn't a rant. But, to spite my face, I am getting to the point that I hope Dems get exactly what they're asking for.
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #32
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,992
Default

The people voted for mr tax and spend so tax the hell out of everyone.

That is what they voted for, so sock it to them.
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,992
Default

Take away Air Force One from the president as part of the military cuts.

Then take away all the free health care from the President and Congress.

Term limits would be nice too.
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
ShreddedWheat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 385
Default

I'm not rich but middle of the road middle class living. I'm fine with paying slightly higher taxes....IF the govt makes cuts in areas of welfare (when there are for hire signs in most windows of businesses there are jobs available), cut down on food stamps, etc.... I'm fine with paying more taxes when the lazy get off their asses and start working and govt quit giving handouts to illegals!
ShreddedWheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #35
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
It wasn't a rant. But, to spite my face, I am getting to the point that I hope Dems get exactly what they're asking for.
None the less you are wrong.....
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piasabird View Post
The people voted for mr tax and spend so tax the hell out of everyone.

That is what they voted for, so sock it to them.
The non Fox watching people have spoken.....I can see by your comments you are a Fox minion.
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
None the less you are wrong.....
Do you actually think it's good faith negotiations to demand everything you want up-front ($1.6T tax increases and $50B additional stimulus spending) in exchange for the promise of $400B of undisclosed spending cuts sometime in the future?
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #38
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
Do you actually think it's good faith negotiations to demand everything you want up-front ($1.6T tax increases and $50B additional stimulus spending) in exchange for the promise of $400B of undisclosed spending cuts sometime in the future?
I believe that President Obama bent over backwards for those bastards to no avail and this statement is supported by the polling. I also believe the Democrats have the Republicans by the short hairs which is making me especially giddy today.
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
I believe that President Obama bent over backwards for those bastards to no avail and this statement is supported by the polling. I also believe the Democrats have the Republicans by the short hairs which is making me especially giddy today.
Just how has Obama "bent over backwards" on the fiscal cliff issue?
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #40
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
Just how has Obama "bent over backwards" on the fiscal cliff issue?
Oh were you in a coma during the "Grand Bargain" fiasco?
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
Oh were you in a coma during the "Grand Bargain" fiasco?
Please answer my question with specifics.
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #42
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
Please answer my question with specifics.
Your honestly not aware that the Republicans said they would walk away from any deal that had 10 parts cuts to 1 part revenue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzGZj32LYc

Here are the Grand bargain detail that I'm not going to waste my time rehashing recent history with you but you can read about it here....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/ma...pagewanted=all

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ain-proposals/

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/politi...d-bargain.html

Obviously my Fellow Americans were following these negotiations much closer than you were hence the results of the polls....
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young

Last edited by Ausm; 11-30-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #43
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
Your honestly not aware that the Republicans said they would walk away from any deal that had 10 parts cuts to 1 part revenue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzGZj32LYc

Here are the Grand bargain detail that I'm not going to waste my time rehashing recent history with you but you can read about it here....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/ma...pagewanted=all

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ain-proposals/

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/politi...d-bargain.html

Obviously my Fellow Americans were following these negotiations much closer than you were hence the results of the polls....
I ask you for specifics regarding how Obama was "bending over backwards" in current negotiations. Is this question just too difficult for you to grasp?
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #44
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
I ask you for specifics regarding how Obama was "bending over backwards" in current negotiations. Is this question just too difficult for you to grasp?
You obviously haven't read a thing I posted....Color me surprised! Let me cut to the chase he put the Big three up for the Repuglicants to gut AND THEY STILL WALKED AWAY. That made ALL Liberals go Fetal but we soon recovered when the Repugs were to damn stupid to take the deal.

Read the article Guber....
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #45
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
You obviously haven't read a thing I posted....Color me surprised! Let me cut to the chase he put the Big three up for the Repuglicants to gut AND THEY STILL WALKED AWAY. That made ALL Liberals go Fetal but we soon recovered when the Repugs were to damn stupid to take the deal.

Read the article Guber....
I asked for specifics and you give me links to figure out your answer. That's horseshit and I'm done.

I personally don't think you're capable of rational discussion.
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein

Last edited by Doc Savage Fan; 11-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #46
Jadow
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Midwest - USA
Posts: 5,795
Default

bring it on
Jadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #47
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
I asked for specifics and you give me links to figure out your answer. That's horseshit and I'm done.

I personally don't think you're capable of rational discussion.
I can't help that you can't wrap your Republican mind around reality...this seems to be a major problem in your party. I have illustrated thoroughly that the GOP are a joke when it comes to being honest brokers and as you could (probably) see from the polling data that i am correct in this assumption. Go home and spoon with your Ronnie Raygun doll and things will be better....
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young

Last edited by Ausm; 11-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #48
Lithium381
Lifer
 
Lithium381's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickMan View Post
Ayup, I'm not afraid to say that I'm in the 1%. Whatever. Raising LTCG to equal STCG doesn't bother me, but it will change investment strategies across the board, and that will make for a more volatile market.

Proposal:

STCG to match tax bracket
LTCG raised to a flat 30% for those making over $500k /yr, 18% for everyone else

It's easy, raises revenues, and it gives an incentive to stick with long term securities.
i could get behind that. . . though 500 could even be 400!
__________________
"This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms." Olympic Arms > NY
"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns; it was called Schindler's List"
Lithium381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #49
Lithium381
Lifer
 
Lithium381's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,466
Default

the (R)'s are being idiots on this one, giving back the top two brackets to a what, 3% increase on both? That's their sticking point? Although, the (D)'s want 3% NOW! whereas the matching proposed spending cuts would be a 3% reduction in spending increases over 10 years . . . hardly a fair trade if you're looking for parity . . .
__________________
"This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms." Olympic Arms > NY
"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns; it was called Schindler's List"
Lithium381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #50
Fern
Super Moderator
 
Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Posts: 23,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
I believe that President Obama bent over backwards for those bastards to no avail and this statement is supported by the polling. I also believe the Democrats have the Republicans by the short hairs which is making me especially giddy today.
Just how has Obama "bent over backwards" on the fiscal cliff issue?
He doesn't know what he is talking about. Bob Woodward wrote a book about it. Actually, Reid and Boehner had reached a compromise, Obama nixed it. And contrary to what Obama claimed in the debates, it was his administration that came up with whole 'fiscal cliff' idea. Following Obama's erroneous claim in the debate, Woodward then wrote an article claiming Obama was wrong.

Fern
__________________
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.