Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy?
Nissan GT-R with Alpha 9 package 28 31.82%
Corvette ZR-1 13 14.77%
Dodge Viper GTS 23 26.14%
BMW M6 12 13.64%
Jaguar KXR-S 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,367
Default If you had the money, which car would you buy?

If your budget was $150K for a car, which of he cars below would you choose? And you can only pick from the cars in the poll.
  1. Nissan GT-R with Alpha 9 package
  2. Corvette ZR-1
  3. Dodge Viper GTS
  4. BMW M6
  5. Jaguar XKR-S
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Insomniator
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: jersey
Posts: 4,964
Default

Jag
Insomniator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,431
Default

Out of those, the Jaguar XKR-S.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
nerp
Diamond Member
 
nerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 7,983
Default

Viper. It's the only car that actually has presence to match its power. GT-R is ugly and overpriced for what it is, IMHO. Vettes are a dime a dozen. Jag, BMW are nice cars but eh, for $150K i'd like something that doesn't look like what your aunt Jackie drives to William Sonoma. For 150K, you need something as outrageous as a Viper.

If you didn't limit me to those cars, I'd probably go with a Lambo.
__________________
iMac 27" i3 3.2 Mid 2010 | AMD A4-3400 Win 7 MCE | Atom D525 1.8 WHS 6TB
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
satyajitmenon
Golden Member
 
satyajitmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniator View Post
Jyaaaaag
FTFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWIrBOc3zE#t=19s
__________________
They see me trollin', they hatin'
satyajitmenon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
Viper. It's the only car that actually has presence to match its power. GT-R is ugly and overpriced for what it is, IMHO. Vettes are a dime a dozen. Jag, BMW are nice cars but eh, for $150K i'd like something that doesn't look like what your aunt Jackie drives to William Sonoma. For 150K, you need something as outrageous as a Viper.

If you didn't limit me to those cars, I'd probably go with a Lambo.
The GT-R with an Alpha 9 package produces 850 hp on pump gas and 950 hp on race gas. Not sure how you'd call that "overpriced" at ~$130K.

As for the Lamborghini (Gallardo), it goes for more than $150K new.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds


Last edited by JackBurton; 11-30-2012 at 10:02 AM.
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
RedRooster
Diamond Member
 
RedRooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 6,601
Default

Viper, all day.
I agree with nerp. The ZR-1 would be fun for a while I suppose.
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

Viper or Vette, no questions asked.

Front engine, rear drive, 6MT.

I love the GT-R, but driving excitement consists of having 3 pedals.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
Viper or Vette, no questions asked.

Front engine, rear drive, 6MT.

I love the GT-R, but driving excitement consists of having 3 pedals.
Yeah, the question you have to ask yourself when deciding between a Viper/Vette and GTR A9 is, do you want a "fast" car with the fun of a MT, or ludicrous speed with an AWD GTR A9. I don't know, that insane speed MAY overcome the fun factor with a MT. With the GTR A9, you're basically king of the road...well unless some ahole with an Alpha 12 GTR pulls up next to you.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds


Last edited by JackBurton; 11-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Phanuel
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,774
Default

Oh come on now...

...Because GT-R
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
RedRooster
Diamond Member
 
RedRooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 6,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
Yeah, the question you have to ask yourself when deciding between a Viper/Vette and GTR A9 is, do you want a "fast" car with the fun of a MT, or ludicrous speed with an AWD GTR A9. I don't know, that insane speed MAY overcome the fun factor with a MT. With the GTR A9, you're basically king of the road...well unless some ahole with an Alpha 12 GTR pulls up next to you.
Or until you hit 5000 miles and everything blows up.
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
exdeath
Lifer
 
exdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,457
Default

Viper or ZR1.

I already have a Xbox 360 and PS3, what do I need a GT-R for?
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
exdeath
Lifer
 
exdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,457
Default

Twin turbo forged E85 Viper @ 25 psi has a little something for that Alpha 12 GTR.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
Twin turbo forged E85 Viper has a little something for that Alpha 12 GTR.
The problem with the Viper is it's still only rear wheel drive. It may do great on the track with some slicks, but on the street it's going to get murdered on the launch. And if an Alpha 12 GTR gets the jump on you, it's all over. The Viper may give it a run for it's money from a roll though.

Russians have all he fun
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds


Last edited by JackBurton; 11-30-2012 at 11:09 AM.
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
The problem with the Viper is it's still only rear wheel drive. It may do great on the track with some slicks, but on the street it's going to get murdered on the launch. And if an Alpha 12 GTR gets the jump on you, it's all over. The Viper may give it a run for it's money from a roll though.
I honestly could not care less, as long as i'm enjoying driving my car with a proper manual trans I really don't give a shit what the other guy is doing.

I love the GT-R, but I love a proper driving experience more.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
Or until you hit 5000 miles and everything blows up.
Nah, AMS does a great job on their mods. Pretty dang reliable.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Imported
Lifer
 
Imported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,445
Default

Viper, no question.
__________________
psn: ntrinsik
Imported is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Fenixgoon
Lifer
 
Fenixgoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lanesplitting on the 405
Posts: 23,431
Default

new viper by far
__________________
Official Member of the ATOT Night Crew
heatware
Fenixgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
MiataNC
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
Yeah, the question you have to ask yourself when deciding between a Viper/Vette and GTR A9 is, do you want a "fast" car with the fun of a MT, or ludicrous speed with an AWD GTR A9. I don't know, that insane speed MAY overcome the fun factor with a MT. With the GTR A9, you're basically king of the road...well unless some ahole with an Alpha 12 GTR pulls up next to you.
In my opinion "king of the road" is the person that smiles every time they get into their car, because they love driving it so much.

People who pick cars based solely on how they impress others are more "king of the douches" than any road they may be on.
__________________
Treat every relationship as a medium of growth not an excuse to get lazy.

A confident man doesn’t waste time lamenting his failures. He drives forward to the next success.
MiataNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
jlarsson
Golden Member
 
jlarsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 1,041
Default

New Viper looks awesome but for this poll, I'm thinking I'd go with the Jag.
jlarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
nerp
Diamond Member
 
nerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
The GT-R with an Alpha 9 package produces 850 hp on pump gas and 950 hp on race gas. Not sure how you'd call that "overpriced" at ~$130K.

As for the Lamborghini (Gallardo), it goes for more than $150K new.
There's more to a car than just HP. If you're buying a supercar, you don't want it looking like a Hyundai coupe. Not many people who buy supercars are actually putting race fuel in them.
__________________
iMac 27" i3 3.2 Mid 2010 | AMD A4-3400 Win 7 MCE | Atom D525 1.8 WHS 6TB
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Phanuel
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
There's more to a car than just HP. If you're buying a supercar, you don't want it looking like a Hyundai coupe. Not many people who buy supercars are actually putting race fuel in them.
I dunno man, Nissan started making Juke-Rs for people...

Last edited by Phanuel; 11-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
nerp
Diamond Member
 
nerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
I dunno man, Nissan started making Juke-Rs for people...
Yeah, a few Saudi billionaires who were willing to pay $500,000 for them. I saw the Fifth Gear episode and the final conclusion was that it's a heap of steaming shit.
__________________
iMac 27" i3 3.2 Mid 2010 | AMD A4-3400 Win 7 MCE | Atom D525 1.8 WHS 6TB
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
Phanuel
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,774
Default

Of that I have no doubt, but people with less sense than a rock and inherited billions buy dumb things all the time.
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataNC View Post
In my opinion "king of the road" is the person that smiles every time they get into their car, because they love driving it so much.

People who pick cars based solely on how they impress others are more "king of the douches" than any road they may be on.
That's exactly why I like the GT-R. It's not a bling car like the Viper, Vette and other super cars. The average person most likely wont even notice it. But it has it where it counts.

And I'm sure slamming the gas on the Alpha 9 would put a smile on just about anyone's face 100% of the time.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds


Last edited by JackBurton; 11-30-2012 at 12:30 PM.
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.