· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
thecapsaicinkid

Default Google plan touchscreen Chromebook

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...k_touchscreen/

I'm guessing it's going to be something like the Asus Transformer but with ChromeOS. Sounds like a winner to me but I'm guessing I'm in the minority thinking ChromeOS makes much more sense on larger screened devices than Android, especially those with mice/touchpads/keyboards etc.

I recently decided I wanted the new Series 3 Chromebook over a Nexus 10 so reserved one last night only to see this announcement this morning for something which may give the best of both worlds. The Series 3 seems to have disappeared off the UK Play store also, odd.

Last edited by thecapsaicinkid; 11-30-2012 at 07:50 AM.
thecapsaicinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
tfinch2
Lifer

If you want a real touch enabled laptop on the cheap, get an Asus X202E:

http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-X202E...rds=asus+x202e

A real OS, and it's freaking awesome.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

the new chromebook is way underpowered. chrome machines would actually be cool if they had decent cpu's
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch2 View Post

thats cheap. asus is becoming the new acer
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
thecapsaicinkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
the new chromebook is way underpowered. chrome machines would actually be cool if they had decent cpu's
I thought the cpu in the new Samsung Chromebook was praised for its performance?

I really, really have no interest in Windows 8.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:

That's pretty good price but 2 cell battery? What's that in real world usage? Like 2-3 hours of battery life max?

I have the two 3 series Samsung Chromebook, one WIFI only and one with 3G, sitting here. I'm so tempted to open it and try it out but both are Christmas gifts so I can't touch it. From the specs, Series 3 are the first Chromebooks worth buying IMO.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsaicinkid View Post
I thought the cpu in the new Samsung Chromebook was praised for its performance?

I really, really have no interest in Windows 8.
the 550's with celeron are pretty good but the new arm ones are too slow, its using a cell phone chip. i wish they would come out with an i3 or pentium chromebook for $300.

and yeah windas 8 is too complicated, quit cunfusin us!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
tfinch2
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
That's pretty good price but 2 cell battery? What's that in real world usage? Like 2-3 hours of battery life max?

I have the two 3 series Samsung Chromebook, one WIFI only and one with 3G, sitting here. I'm so tempted to open it and try it out but both are Christmas gifts so I can't touch it. From the specs, Series 3 are the first Chromebooks worth buying IMO.
Mine lasts 4 hours. Usage includes photo editing, web browsing, and light programming. I am going to install an SSD soon, so hopefully that will eek out another 30 minutes or so.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
the 550's with celeron are pretty good but the new arm ones are too slow, its using a cell phone chip. i wish they would come out with an i3 or pentium chromebook for $300.

and yeah windas 8 is too complicated, quit cunfusin us!
Too slow compared to what? Desktop. High end laptop? Tablet? Smartphone?

A15 is the fastest ARM chip out right now. For basic browsing, emails, and Google Docs it should be plenty.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
Too slow compared to what? Desktop. High end laptop? Tablet? Smartphone?

A15 is the fastest ARM chip out right now. For basic browsing, emails, and Google Docs it should be plenty.
i tried it in best buy, its fairly horrible. imagine a atom, except worse. even with one chrome window open it renders pages very slowly. its so slow it suffers from "delayed reaction" when typing. i really dont understand why they done come out with a decently performing chromebook, it really would be a nice alternative to windows if they did
Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
bigrash
Lifer

Interesting. I'd definitely be interested in a touch chromebook depending on the price.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Red Storm
Lifer

Uh, isn't Chrome OS basically just the desktop version of Chrome? How many of the Chrome apps (including desktop Chrome itself) are touch optimized?

Honestly Google needs to just give it up, incorporate desktop Chrome into Android and sell AndroidBooks.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

The problem I expect is that people only buy Chromebooks if they are very cheap, like the Samsung $250 Chromebook or Acer's new $200 one.

So a laptop with a touch screen at a sub $250 probably means a poor resistive touch screen with a TN panel.

Windows: Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
dguy6789
Diamond Member

I'm not at all interested in Chromebooks. Make it run Android and I'll reconsider
dguy6789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
i tried it in best buy, its fairly horrible. imagine a atom, except worse. even with one chrome window open it renders pages very slowly. its so slow it suffers from "delayed reaction" when typing. i really dont understand why they done come out with a decently performing chromebook, it really would be a nice alternative to windows if they did
Benchmarks and other real world reviews say otherwise. It has newer version of the Chrome browser than Android, and I believe the same as desktop. I tempted to open one and try it out but I have to wait til Christmas since it's a gift for my daughter.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Mine lasts 4 hours. Usage includes photo editing, web browsing, and light programming. I am going to install an SSD soon, so hopefully that will eek out another 30 minutes or so.
4 hours max is too short for me. Plus that laptop has a fan and I would need to add SSD which bumps the price up to $600.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
iahk

Quote:
Benchmarks and other real world reviews say otherwise. It has newer version of the Chrome browser than Android, and I believe the same as desktop. I tempted to open one and try it out but I have to wait til Christmas since it's a gift for my daughter.
agreed. I have the cr48 with atom and that was a horrible chromebook experience. I went to best buy to try the samsung model with exynos and that worked beautifully. it even played 1080p flash videos quite well. my cr48 dropped frames with 480p videos.

also, everyone who keeps mentioning Android with chrome browser, keep in mind that with android, you're still stuck in the mobile browsing experience. chrome os functions just like a desktop and works with Chrome apps/extensions. and on top of this, with the aura desktop, functions with multiwindows.

Last edited by iahk; 11-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.
iahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Tom
Lifer

Quote:

seems way overpriced to me..although that's to be expected this early on.

I expect within 6 months touch laptops will cost the same as non-touch laptops do today, so there will be some in the $300-400 price range.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Jodell88
Diamond Member

I don't know what people's issue with chromebooks are.

1. Buy
2. Install Linux
3. ???
4. Profit!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
seems way overpriced to me..although that's to be expected this early on.

I expect within 6 months touch laptops will cost the same as non-touch laptops do today, so there will be some in the $300-400 price range.
Best Buy just had a 15.6" one just a little over $500, so you won't be waiting long I think. Bought one for my brother.
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodell88 View Post
I don't know what people's issue with chromebooks are.

1. Buy
2. Install Linux
3. ???
4. Profit!
Linux on an ARM based Chromebook looks a bit messy and I'm not sure they have everything working yet, like the touchpad. And I want nothing to do with Acer's $200 netbook regardless of what is running on it.

Windows: Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy6789 View Post
I'm not at all interested in Chromebooks. Make it run Android and I'll reconsider
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't even know why Google is bothering with Chrome OS at this point. It's late to the party and just boils down to a less capable version of Android. If they want Chrome OS to serve as a more simplified option, they should just reskin Android and limit some of the features.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't even know why Google is bothering with Chrome OS at this point. It's late to the party and just boils down to a less capable version of Android. If they want Chrome OS to serve as a more simplified option, they should just reskin Android and limit some of the features.
I didn't understand Chrome OS when it was first introduced. Now we're in the 3rd gen Chromebooks, I now see the brilliance and potential of the Chrome OS platform. Chrome OS is maturing and now has desktop and can run multiple windows. Something Android can't do yet. With ARM chips becoming more powerful and LTE cell radio chips standard on future Chromebooks, I see the potential for low cost Chromebooks. It's the evolution of Netbooks. In some ways, Chromebook is better Macbook Air at 1/4 the cost. I fully expect Apple to eventually release ARM Macbook Air with LTE.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
thecapsaicinkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
I really cannot understand why anyone would choose Android on a larger device over Chrome OS, makes no sense at all to me. Android is purely designed to deal with the limitations of small devices imo. If the 2 converge as mobile devices improve, I really think we're going to end up with something closer to ChromeOS than Android.

Take a device like the Asus Transformer or what Google are more than likely going to deliver with this new touchscreen Chromebook i.e 10"+ screen, keyboard and touchpad. What advantages would Android give you? Which Android apps blown up to 10" are preferable to their equivalent web app?

This hodge-podge of native apps retrieved from a store and started from desktop icons mixed in with web apps in a browser is a temporary intermediate stage I'm sure.

A lot of the best apps are just web apps stuffed inside a native container any way. I think it's obvious this is the direction Google see things moving. Personally I think they should've stuck with the single window interface and common 'applications' pinned as tabs.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
I didn't understand Chrome OS when it was first introduced. Now we're in the 3rd gen Chromebooks, I now see the brilliance and potential of the Chrome OS platform. Chrome OS is maturing and now has desktop and can run multiple windows. Something Android can't do yet. With ARM chips becoming more powerful and LTE cell radio chips standard on future Chromebooks, I see the potential for low cost Chromebooks. It's the evolution of Netbooks. In some ways, Chromebook is better Macbook Air at 1/4 the cost. I fully expect Apple to eventually release ARM Macbook Air with LTE.
ezackly, axe anyone who bought a chromebook and theyll tell you it was to get full-on browsing with multiple windows and tabs