Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > PC Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,117
Default IGN: "Breaking down the barriers of PC gaming"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...s-of-pc-gaming

Some of the reasons against PC gaming are ridiculous.

Controllers aren't well supported. -Xbox360 controllers have been supported nativly for years
Too expensive. - $500 can buy a decent PC able to game at 1080p and just plug it in your TV. Then you can resell your video card to upgrade when it comes time.
Too complicated. - Pre builts abound and you can even put together your own specs and have it built. There's not much to do except jump on steam same as you would on PSN or XBL and buy the game you want and it will download. Click play when you're done.
No Achievements. - Steam has them
No central hub like XboxLive. -Steam has a community larger than XboxLive.

To be fair, the writer Ryan Clements, does a pretty good job of shooting down these reasons given by other IGN staffers.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
KaOTiK
Lifer
 
KaOTiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: FL
Posts: 10,884
Default

They used achievements as a plus for consoles (and were wrong at that)? hahahahaha
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,117
Default

Yeah, and I can't believe how many people will say "If it doesn't have achievements I won't buy it". As if somehow the game can be good or bad based on that alone. Especially when a lot of them are kind of dumb and reward you for just doing what you're supposed to do in the game "you reached level 2, congrats here's your trophy".
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
0___________0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 284
Default

Chances are you already own a computer, get a new PSU and a 650 Ti, doesn't draw much power and should fit in most cases. Gaming rig for $200, as long as the rest of the system isn't horribly dated. The people who say it's over their heads have never tried.
0___________0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member
 
ImpulsE69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,998
Default

There is something wrong when they use Achievements (or lack thereof) as a point/counterpoint
__________________
I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if anyone thinks differently they will promptly be crushed.

The World Needs a Reset Button.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
exdeath
Lifer
 
exdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,471
Default

I hate achievements. They ruined and overwhelmed WoW with too much busy work and some games they seem to be the only purpose as if intentionally distracting you from the fact the game actually sucks. But you do it anyway cuz K/D ratio and g4m3rz sc0re br0!

I also hate achievements because I'm a 100% completionist, and alot of them are retarded. I especially hate with an absolute vengeance online vs mode only achievements and the stupid impossible online ones that you can't get legitimately like "in an online game kill 100 players in a row without dying" or worse "without getting hit". Turns into a boring grind fest trading kills with a friend for an hour in a private game. Or like some of the ones in Street Fighter 4 can bite my ass.

"Finish a ranked tournament match in the top 0.000000001% of players" right how many people will ever get all achievements when there is crap like that? I don't devote my life to a single game. Pissed me off when I just got 60/60 in Resident Evil 5 then it downloaded a patch and added like 30 RETARDED online only achievements. You want to complete with me sign up for Tough Mudder or go to the track. I can't stand what most online competitive gaming has become. People with real careers and who aren't complete neckbeard gynophobias need not apply and will not be able to get those achievements, leaving their game file "incomplete".

WoW was even worse. You attempted to complete all the achievements and they just keep adding more faster than you can keep up. As a completionist I need some finality to it. Then add the exclusive ones like server firsts, limited time for special pets and mounts with a .01% drop rate before it gets removed, etc, and it's just pressure overload like you can never log out without missing something forever. And you're supposed to farm, make money, and raid too?

Achievements: one of the deadly sins that has ruined modern gaming.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
shortylickens
No Lifer
 
shortylickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54,875
Default

If achievements and trophies are stopping you from playing just shoot yourself.
__________________
2 Timothy 4:7
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
exdeath
Lifer
 
exdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,471
Default

I'll play games that I know I can't ever get all the achievements, but when I'm done I will delete them from my profile so as to not have any "incompleteness" taunting me.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
irishScott
Lifer
 
irishScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 20,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
If achievements and trophies are stopping you from playing just shoot yourself.
This. It's like a little kid saying he won't play soccer if he doesn't get a participation trophy. Only more pathetic.

I can understand the appeal of the challenge of good achievements, I've blown many hours on Starcraft 2's. But they don't even factor in to my buying decision.
irishScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
I hate achievements. They ruined and overwhelmed WoW with too much busy work and some games they seem to be the only purpose as if intentionally distracting you from the fact the game actually sucks. But you do it anyway cuz K/D ratio and g4m3rz sc0re br0!

I also hate achievements because I'm a 100% completionist, and alot of them are retarded. I especially hate with an absolute vengeance online vs mode only achievements and the stupid impossible online ones that you can't get legitimately like "in an online game kill 100 players in a row without dying" or worse "without getting hit". Turns into a boring grind fest trading kills with a friend for an hour in a private game. Or like some of the ones in Street Fighter 4 can bite my ass.

"Finish a ranked tournament match in the top 0.000000001% of players" right how many people will ever get all achievements when there is crap like that? I don't devote my life to a single game. Pissed me off when I just got 60/60 in Resident Evil 5 then it downloaded a patch and added like 30 RETARDED online only achievements. You want to complete with me sign up for Tough Mudder or go to the track. I can't stand what most online competitive gaming has become. People with real careers and who aren't complete neckbeard gynophobias need not apply and will not be able to get those achievements, leaving their game file "incomplete".

WoW was even worse. You attempted to complete all the achievements and they just keep adding more faster than you can keep up. As a completionist I need some finality to it. Then add the exclusive ones like server firsts, limited time for special pets and mounts with a .01% drop rate before it gets removed, etc, and it's just pressure overload like you can never log out without missing something forever. And you're supposed to farm, make money, and raid too?

Achievements: one of the deadly sins that has ruined modern gaming.
This post highlights a huge problem with you and your psyche, not achievements. If you don't want to do them then don't. If you aren't having fun then stop. There's something wrong with not being able to control yourself when you know you're not enjoying the experience.

Have you looked for professional help?
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
coldmeat
Diamond Member
 
coldmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 9,178
Default

Who goes to IGN anymore? If people stopped reading, they would stop spewing their bullshit.
__________________

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

i laughed so hard XD
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Annisman*
Golden Member
 
Annisman*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,009
Default

I actually hate 'achievments', I feel like I'm being rewarded with a cookie for doing some kind of menial duty. Like a child. I feel like I'm being treated like a child.
__________________
Gigabyte Assasin 2 X79 |3930K @ 4.4 | Crsr H100 p/p | Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 1.5/8000| 16gGskill ddr3-2133 | Samsung 830 256g SSD (OS) | 512g Crucial M4 SSD (Games) | WD Black 4TB | Asus Xonar Stx l 650ti Physx l Cooler Master Gold 1K Watt | Win7- 64 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz w/G-Sync | Sennheiser 650 l Cosmos 2
-Christian, Conservative, PC Gamer.-
Annisman* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Ackmed
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,558
Default

I detest achievements. I never, ever try and do all the things they make me do, it's just silly. And I don't like the notifications every time I do one just by playing the game. And I don't want a controller on my PC, aside from a few games. Such as some adventure games. Anti-PC people are just ignorant.
Ackmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Sulaco
Platinum Member
 
Sulaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmeat View Post
Who goes to IGN anymore? If people stopped reading, they would stop spewing their bullshit.
I LOVE IGN! I can't WAIT for another one of their "Top Whatever" lists, and an article or nine about the best Batman gadgets.
Sulaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
VirtualLarry
Lifer
 
VirtualLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
This post highlights a huge problem with you and your psyche, not achievements. If you don't want to do them then don't. If you aren't having fun then stop. There's something wrong with not being able to control yourself when you know you're not enjoying the experience.

Have you looked for professional help?
My friend is like that in PS3 fighting games. He wants to "play seriously", and for him, that is not fun, that's winning tournaments. Of course, he's on a limited income, so he can't even afford to go to tournaments. But he spends all day playing anyways. (Without having fun.)

Yes, he needs professional help.
__________________
Rig(s) not listed, because I change computers, like some people change their socks.
ATX is for poor people. And 'gamers.' - phucheneh
haswell is bulldozer... - aigomorla
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
shortylickens
No Lifer
 
shortylickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
This post highlights a huge problem with you and your psyche, not achievements. If you don't want to do them then don't. If you aren't having fun then stop. There's something wrong with not being able to control yourself when you know you're not enjoying the experience.

Have you looked for professional help?
I have.

What does that have to do with this thread?
__________________
2 Timothy 4:7
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,612
Default

Wait... am I missing something? I read the article and no one talked about achievements.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
power_hour
Senior Member
 
power_hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nowhere important
Posts: 789
Default

It almost seems apologetic. Very odd article.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Wait... am I missing something? I read the article and no one talked about achievements.
read the comments
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #21
JujuFish
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Wait... am I missing something? I read the article and no one talked about achievements.
Yeah, I didn't see that either. It's funny how strongly everyone feels about them in this thread, though. Personally, I like achievements as long as their only purpose isn't to try to make a game with little substance longer than it really is.
__________________
LET'S GO BUFFALO!
Porkchop sandwiches.
JujuFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #22
Red Hawk
Platinum Member
 
Red Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...s-of-pc-gaming

Some of the reasons against PC gaming are ridiculous.

Controllers aren't well supported. -Xbox360 controllers have been supported nativly for years
Too expensive. - $500 can buy a decent PC able to game at 1080p and just plug it in your TV. Then you can resell your video card to upgrade when it comes time.
Too complicated. - Pre builts abound and you can even put together your own specs and have it built. There's not much to do except jump on steam same as you would on PSN or XBL and buy the game you want and it will download. Click play when you're done.
No Achievements. - Steam has them
No central hub like XboxLive. -Steam has a community larger than XboxLive.

To be fair, the writer Ryan Clements, does a pretty good job of shooting down these reasons given by other IGN staffers.
Well yeah, those reasons are rather ridiculous, but that's sort of the point. This is not an article pointing out the problems with PC gaming. The point of this article is that the writer asks non-PC players at IGN why they aren't into PC gaming, gets their answers, and then debunks those reasons. It's actually a pretty good, PC-gamer friendly article.
__________________
Desktop: Thermaltake V-4 Black case | Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 | Core i5 2500k @ 4 GHz | ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II 2 GB @ 1110 MHz | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz | 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD & Western Digital 500 GB HDD | Antec 650w PSU | Acer 1080p 60 Hz 21.5'' | Windows 8.1 Professional
Laptop: ASUS K52Jr-X5 | Core i3-350m @ 2.26 GHz| Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1 GB @ 750 MHz 4 GB DDR3 RAM | 90 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD | 1366x768 15.6'' | Windows 8.1 Professional
Red Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #23
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member
 
Pr0d1gy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where I want.
Posts: 7,776
Default

I just built a PC for $800 that can play anything without issue and haven't touched my PS3 since. The games are better, the gaming is better, and I trust my build quality a thousand times more than any Xbox or PS3. It's funny that people will pay $400 for an Xbox, $600 for a PS3, but refuse to drop just a minute amount more for a vastly superior system.
__________________
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is RIGHT. -MLK, Jr.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35504
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member
 
ImpulsE69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
I just built a PC for $800 that can play anything without issue and haven't touched my PS3 since. The games are better, the gaming is better, and I trust my build quality a thousand times more than any Xbox or PS3. It's funny that people will pay $400 for an Xbox, $600 for a PS3, but refuse to drop just a minute amount more for a vastly superior system.
Well...in the past consoles and PC's had inherently different breeds of games. I used to love gaming on both console and PC for the different experience they gave. Occasionally you'd get a PC game ported over to a console that may or may not be really the same.

Today, they are for the most part..the same (if not exactly the same with all the ports coming from consoles instead). This lessens the need for dedicated consoles, sure you have the obscure title you miss out on, but you have plenty of others to bide your time....look at all the ppl with pages and pages of Steam games they've never touched.

This in itself doesn't make me not want consoles --- but it weighs heavily in my decision of if I want to pay the price they want for everything.
__________________
I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if anyone thinks differently they will promptly be crushed.

The World Needs a Reset Button.

Last edited by ImpulsE69; 11-29-2012 at 02:07 AM.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #25
GaiaHunter
Diamond Member
 
GaiaHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,421
Default

Achievements help those without imagination.

Who haven't tried killing Mephisto naked, or finishing half-life while using only a pistol?

People with imagination and that play for fun did.

Now they hide some of those achievements amongst really easy ones and "bam" re-playability increased for everyone without imagination.
__________________
Playing: Guild Wars 2.
GaiaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.