Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
buckshot24
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
Are you referring to the Rethuglicants who cut the funding for embassy security or President Obama for not personally sitting on the wire?
I'm speaking generally with that statement.
buckshot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #52
HomerJS
Diamond Member
 
HomerJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot24 View Post
Fine and dandy but the cases aren't comparable as an ambassador was killed in this one. This should get more attention.
That's right, the actually killing not the speculated cause after.
HomerJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #53
Matt1970
Lifer
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 10,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperus View Post
This is what he said. "No, Nobody does, because nobody cared. We know that several hundred died but there has never been an official count done."

You referenced a list from Wiki. If you look at the references in the list. You will notice two things. 1.) there is no Official US document with the listed names 2.) If you actually go to the site in the first citation which accounts for the names, this is what you will find.



So, who would have thought that 10 seconds of research derived from googling Wikipedia might not have been totally accurate?
It says it is incomplete on the first source but it uses over 22 sources. And he was questioned about Benghazi and decided to answer about Iraq. Divert much?

Last edited by Matt1970; 11-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #54
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1970 View Post
It says it is incomplete on the first source but it uses over 22 sources. And he was questioned about Benghazi and decided to answer about Iraq. Divert much?
So, find me another source on that list that has a complete list of names. Better yet, find me an official listing of all the dead US contractors on that wiki site. I'll address the 2nd part of ur argument once we close this part of it just to make sure we don't divert. I'll be waiting.

I'm only doing this because as I've told you before you're intellectually lazy and intellectually dishonest. You don't know what you don't know and don't care to find out.

Last edited by emperus; 11-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek11 View Post
A lot of the raving libs watch Fox News also judging by the numbers of threads started about Fox News by Libs.

LMFAO
Believe it or not, but there's this magical thing called the Internet that allows people to share information. With it's magical tubes (© Al Gore), you can see information any time! In fact, I saw a post about this news story on this crazy newfangled site called The Facebook.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #56
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,832
Default

Hey Matt, I thought you'd be back with the sources and such to back up your argument.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #57
buckshot24
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperus View Post
Hey Matt, I thought you'd be back with the sources and such to back up your argument.
Get a life.
buckshot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #58
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot24 View Post
I'm speaking generally with that statement.
Could you be more precise so it would leave the guessing out of your comments
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #59
Schmide
Diamond Member
 
Schmide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Internet that allows people to share information. With it's magical tubes (© Al Gore), you can see information any time!
You will lose your internet privileges for not knowing that was Alaskan Senator Ted (series of tubes) Stephens that copyrighted that phrase.
__________________
All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.
Schmide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #60
Matt1970
Lifer
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 10,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperus View Post
So, find me another source on that list that has a complete list of names. Better yet, find me an official listing of all the dead US contractors on that wiki site. I'll address the 2nd part of ur argument once we close this part of it just to make sure we don't divert. I'll be waiting.

I'm only doing this because as I've told you before you're intellectually lazy and intellectually dishonest. You don't know what you don't know and don't care to find out.
I got something you can address. This guy diverted to Iraq when asked about Benghazi, but keep going after me and give him a free pass. That sure is being intellectually honest.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
randomrogue
Diamond Member
 
randomrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,462
Default

Nobody gives a shit about Bengazi. Nobody. If you do you need to get your head checked out.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #62
UberNeuman
Lifer
 
UberNeuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 12,930
Default

Tom Ricks to MSNBC: You’re just like Fox, only not as good at it

Mr. Ricks is pretty up front about where he stands.
__________________
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

"brevity is the soul of wit."

Hold the line.
UberNeuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #63
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot24 View Post
Get a life.
Very Conservative Response when you get owned.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #64
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1970 View Post
I got something you can address. This guy diverted to Iraq when asked about Benghazi, but keep going after me and give him a free pass. That sure is being intellectually honest.
Diverted huh? Like you're trying to do now? Just man up, admit you were wrong and move on. Until you do, you're going to continue to be intellectually dishonest and lazy.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #65
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJS View Post
Its a valid point. Far more people being killed in another part of the middle east Iraq should invoke more outrage but Fox doesn't care because it can't be used to bash the President.

To carry his point furthur, The CEC and the GOP care more about what Susan Rice said after the fact then the four people killed.
You expect deaths in a "war" zone, do you not? It's accepted. It is NOT expected that be leave an ambassador vulnerable when both the marine anti-terrorist unit in the area AND the ambassador both expressed serious concerns within weeks of the attack. That is why Iraq really is a bad comparison, and where the rage comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
Nobody gives a shit about Benghazi. Nobody. If you do you need to get your head checked out.
ftfy. Learn to spell, it's apparent you don't know or care.
__________________
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #66
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
Are you referring to the Rethuglicants who cut the funding for embassy security or President Obama for not personally sitting on the wire?
No, they cut spending in general there. It was up to the president to decide where to make those cuts - if the reason Benghazi lacked security was in fact funding (which we don't know), the president should justify why he did not instead divert resources from a lower risk area to the Benghazi embassy...or move Stevens out, if unable to provide proper security.

Moreover, embassy security is run not by the state department but through the DoD is it not? The guards are uniformed Marines. Would that not mean the funding for the embassy security was through the DoD budget? Serious question - my previous point stands, regardless.

Also, grow up. "Rethuglicants"? Damned children on this forum, I tell ya.
__________________
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #67
UberNeuman
Lifer
 
UberNeuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 12,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post

ftfy. Learn to spell, it's apparent you don't know or care.
What is stunningly apparent is that those that keep pursuing the unfortunate events in Benghazi are the same folks that have ignored the deceptions that lead into the Iraq war....

\but hey, now you're concerned....
\\good job, have a cookie....
__________________
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

"brevity is the soul of wit."

Hold the line.
UberNeuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #68
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberNeuman View Post
What is stunningly apparent is that those that keep pursuing the unfortunate events in Benghazi are the same folks that have ignored the deceptions that lead into the Iraq war....

\but hey, now you're concerned....
\\good job, have a cookie....
Oh? And where have I posted about the Iraq war pertaining to how we got into it? Because guess what: I don't think we should have gone in. The only good thing we got out of it were some funny videos of the propaganda minister.

Let the middle east figure itself out, hell if they want to nuke each other, fine...just make sure it's an air blast so there's no fallout.
__________________
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #69
UberNeuman
Lifer
 
UberNeuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 12,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Oh? And where have I posted about the Iraq war pertaining to how we got into it? Because guess what: I don't think we should have gone in. The only good thing we got out of it were some funny videos of the propaganda minister.

4804 dead, not including civilians in Iraq. But hey, you got a funny video out of it.....

\your false concern is duly noted....
\\so when a "funny" Benghazi video comes along - shall you laugh your ass off as well...
__________________
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

"brevity is the soul of wit."

Hold the line.

Last edited by UberNeuman; 11-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.
UberNeuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #70
Doppel
Lifer
 
Doppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,313
Default

The Fox Faithful truly believe that Fox is a fair and effective counter toward the left-wing media, though; so it all evens out.

Also, shouldn't Santa be getting ready for Xmas, why is he on Fox?

Fox has gone APESH*T over Benghazi, too, and yes it's been hyped.

Thumbsup for Tom Ricks, though.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #71
Arkaign
Lifer
 
Arkaign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1970 View Post
I got something you can address. This guy diverted to Iraq when asked about Benghazi, but keep going after me and give him a free pass. That sure is being intellectually honest.
The Iraqi reference was cogent, given that FNC (along with all news networks) basically ignores the deaths of soldiers for the most part, let alone 'insignificant' contractors.

But yet FNC goes batshit crazy over Benghazi, spinning and spinning it even when it appears at worst to merely be some incompetence/communication issues after the fact. The absolute truth of the matter is that the military powers, Petraeus, etc, have confirmed that there's no grand conspiracy, there's only the arguable idea that maybe there was too much emphasis put on the controversial video. By the way, that video caused quite literally hundreds of protests in dozens of countries, some of them quite violent. Egypt, anyone? It's not unreasonable for one to think that this incident might just have had something to do with it, even if it were merely opportunism. I personally don't think it was anything other than 9/11 anniversary jackoff terrorists, but after all, Libya is a country filled to the gills with militia, hardened and armed after a bloody struggle against a dictator. If a militia group with Islamist jihadist ideals got pissed off, they wouldn't be the average jerkoffs throwing rocks, they'd be jerkoffs with arty, heavy and light machine guns, explosives, and experience.

All of this is dancing around it though. The facts are, it happened, it sucks, some info was botched, but there's no real story beyond that. FNC's desperate effort to make it more than it was is embarassing.

I'm also not a fan of Obama, I think he's a corporate tool that is just Bush 3 for the most part. The ACA is a handjob to the insurance agencies that will hurt the majority of americans, he's not been that great at communicating the direct X, Y, and Z of any good plans, or even mediocre ones, to the people, he's just not my ideal guy given that I have fiscally conservative and socially liberterian ideals. That said, I don't sieg heil to the jacktards at Fox, or imbeciles like Rush either. Where's William F. Buckley when you need him.

Honesty, especially intellectual honesty, is the best ideal one can have. If you are grossly partisan, such as the gasbags have been over the Benghazi non-story, and let yourself push agenda over common sense and the hard facts, you debase yourself and will not be respected by rational minds. Preaching to the idiot partisan choirs of either side is bullshit, frankly, but many seem to want to insulate themselves from any inconvenient facts.
__________________
Death is the answer.
Arkaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #72
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberNeuman View Post
4804 dead, not including civilians in Iraq. But hey, you got a funny video out of it.....

\your false concern is duly noted....
\\so when a "funny" Benghazi video comes along - shall you laugh your ass off as well...
Holy shit, my post went whizzing over your head, didn't it? I just said that nothing good came of the war in my opinion, and you take that as me not caring? I know people who were deployed over there. I knew someone who didn't come back. So you can shove your pretentious attitude and baseless assumptions up your ***.
__________________
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #73
blankslate
Diamond Member
 
blankslate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Never caught dead in the South
Posts: 5,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberNeuman View Post
Tom Ricks to MSNBC: You’re just like Fox, only not as good at it

Mr. Ricks is pretty up front about where he stands.
Tom Ricks is awesome I may just have to check out his book.
__________________
"Using the bible to support your opinion is like using a Krispy Kreme menu to pass a Biology test. " ~ Random Youtube commentor

Dropkick Murphys - Workers Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfGTDyjVSE
blankslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #74
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
No, they cut spending in general there. It was up to the president to decide where to make those cuts - if the reason Benghazi lacked security was in fact funding (which we don't know), the president should justify why he did not instead divert resources from a lower risk area to the Benghazi embassy...or move Stevens out, if unable to provide proper security.

Moreover, embassy security is run not by the state department but through the DoD is it not? The guards are uniformed Marines. Would that not mean the funding for the embassy security was through the DoD budget? Serious question - my previous point stands, regardless.

Also, grow up. "Rethuglicants"? Damned children on this forum, I tell ya.
LOLWUT?? You are going to have to come up with a better answer then that Repuglicant....
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #75
CallMeJoe
Diamond Member
 
CallMeJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmetto State
Posts: 6,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
...Moreover, embassy security is run not by the state department but through the DoD is it not? The guards are uniformed Marines. Would that not mean the funding for the embassy security was through the DoD budget? Serious question - my previous point stands, regardless...
The United States embassy in Libya is located in the Libyan capital, Tripoli. There is a Marine security detail at the embassy. Benghazi has a Consulate. The State Department provides Consulate security.
__________________
No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.
Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

H. L. Mencken
CallMeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.