· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
MBrown
Diamond Member

Default Asus P8Z68-V Pro problems (123 Degrees C!)

I am trying to get to the bottom of my locking up issues. I've been trying to get my CPU back down to stock settings, but each time I set it back in the BIOS it reverts back to my OC settings when it restarts. I cleared the CMOS and that didn't work. I have the Asus Turbo V utility installed for my OC and I think that is causing my problem, but it was my understanding that what ever you do in the BIOS it changes what you have done with the Turbo V software. Any suggestions on what to do to get it to stay at stock settings.

BTW please chime in here to help me figure out what my locking up issue is.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2286126

Edit: I just ran prime95 for 15 hours and now sensors across 3 different programs are saying my motherboard temp is at 123 degrees C! This can't be right...right?

Edit: Did a quick reboot of my system, temps instantly back down to 23 degrees. Whats going on?
i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | 2x EVGA GTX 780 FTW w/ACX | Antec High Current Gamer 900W PSU | 256GB Samsung 830 series 6Gb/s | 1TB Western Digital Black 6Gb/s | Antec P280 | 27" ASUS PB278Q LCD 1440p @ 60Hz | Logitech Z-2300 | Audio-Technica ATH-M50 | Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Last edited by MBrown; 12-03-2012 at 08:54 AM.
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
I am trying to get to the bottom of my locking up issues. I've been trying to get my CPU back down to stock settings, but each time I set it back in the BIOS it reverts back to my OC settings when it restarts. I cleared the CMOS and that didn't work. I have the Asus Turbo V utility installed for my OC and I think that is causing my problem, but it was my understanding that what ever you do in the BIOS it changes what you have done with the Turbo V software. Any suggestions on what to do to get it to stay at stock settings.

BTW please chime in here to help me figure out what my locking up issue is.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2286126
Curious -- Which processor? How high was it volted? Did it have EIST/C1E/HT/ etc. enabled? What was the overclock speed setting under load?

Check to see that the turbo switch on the mobo is turned off. [I assume at this point you made notes or UEFI "screenshots" of your BIOS settings].

See if you can't reset the machine within the Turbo V to stock settings -- within the software.

Next step: see if there is a saved "profile" of settings in a file. Delete the file, move it and/or rename it.

Try editing the BIOS again. Or reset the BIOS -- first with jumper and test, and then with the wafer-battery if necessary.

Then re-enter your BIOS settings manually or use the TPU and OC Tuner to get an initial OC setting, after which trim the VCORE and stress-test. If you are resetting to stock base and turbo ratios, set vcore to auto and stress-test briefer intervals if it seems stable and everything is working.

I only offer this because I get drawn into these discussions, and I'd seen some or all of your symptoms related to the interaction of the software and other firmware issues I have seen myself. See Motherboard P8Z68-V Pro User Guide, page 2-16, "4. TPU Switch" and bulleted notes.
BonzaiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
MBrown
Diamond Member

I am at the point where I am trying to get to stock settings now and I can't. I turned to TPU switch off, I cleared the cmos, along with moving the battery and I cannot get the mobo back to 100% original configuration.
i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | 2x EVGA GTX 780 FTW w/ACX | Antec High Current Gamer 900W PSU | 256GB Samsung 830 series 6Gb/s | 1TB Western Digital Black 6Gb/s | Antec P280 | 27" ASUS PB278Q LCD 1440p @ 60Hz | Logitech Z-2300 | Audio-Technica ATH-M50 | Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
I am at the point where I am trying to get to stock settings now and I can't. I turned to TPU switch off, I cleared the cmos, along with moving the battery and I cannot get the mobo back to 100% original configuration.
At this point, the AI software is suspect (as I see it). I dealt with this directly a few years back with an nVidia chipset and the nVidia "Tools" software: Once you manually made overclock settings within the software, it would save a profile to file, which would load every time you booted to windows. I had to delete the file -- or much the same thing -- create a revision to it by giving default settings in the software. I'm only guessing that you would circumvent unstable settings by booting in "Safe" mode to neutralize the profile.

The AI "Turbo Evo" or whatever it's called does pretty much the same thing. You may have done the other things -- turning off the TPU switch and clearing the CMOS -- but the software settings are "still there."

That's the best guess I have for your situation.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
MBrown
Diamond Member

I just ran prime95 for 15 hours and now sensors across 3 different programs are saying my motherboard temp is at 123 degrees C! This can't be right...right?

Edit: Did a quick reboot of my system, temps instantly back down to 23 degrees. Whats going on?

Last edited by MBrown; 12-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
bankster55
Golden Member

Try this tool to wipe all traces of AI Suite from your system
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-909ab110.html
I actually have ~8000 AT posts, was in first group to join Sep. 99 (text only format) - just too lazy to import my info. In fact, its kinda nice to be anonymous. Remember those live meet and greet other local AT members OT threads?

bankster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankster55 View Post
Try this tool to wipe all traces of AI Suite from your system
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-909ab110.html
I would still do what bankster55 said.

I have a Sandy 2600K @ load 4.6Ghz, which I was tweaking some more a couple months ago. I remember running Prime95 and AI monitoring with recording during the boot and session when suddenly AI reported a 0C or even lower for my own P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.

The tweaking required a few more notches up in VCORE, following a convergence to the highest value for GFLOPS in LinX. I haven't had the same trouble since, but it seemed to arise with particular combinations of stress-test and monitoring software, possibly with different monitoring softwares including AI that ran concurrently.