Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
QueHuong
Platinum Member
 
QueHuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,093
Default Thoughts on this $750 Lenovo Configuration

I'm helping my sister pick out a laptop for grad school next fall; she'll mainly use Office, watch movies, listen to music, and surf online. I would like to have a reliable system that will last her for the next few years, in terms of hardware durability and in running the latest software efficiently.

I'm using my friend's employee discounts for Lenovo laptops and the total comes to $750 w/ free shipping. Is this a good deal? There's no rush to buy a laptop so we can always wait for a good deal until sept 2013. But she's been using a netbook at home so it's a little painful. Thoughts appreciated.

ThinkPad T430s
Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA N13M-NS Optimus Graphics 1GB, Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
UltraNav multi-touch touchpad & TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
6 Cell Lithium Battery T81+
Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
Mobile Broadband upgradable
1 Year Depot/Express Warranty
__________________
lim College of Engineering = College of Business
(GPA --> 0)
QueHuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
fatpolomanjr
Member
 
fatpolomanjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 26
Default

That looks like a great deal. But if you are going to wait until September for a deal, Haswell might be out; to avoid the headache of possible delays on a new product (as with the X1 Carbon), it might be better to get the previous, more readily available, T430s generation of thinkpad.

General advice: "If you can wait, wait. Otherwise buy what you need now with the money you have."

Also consider getting an extended warranty if she plans on keeping it for more than 1-2 years.

Last edited by fatpolomanjr; 11-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.
fatpolomanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Fayd
Diamond Member
 
Fayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Around
Posts: 7,447
Default

it looks like it's a decent deal.

to the previous poster: the x1 carbon and t430s are same generation.

as far as haswell, it's not something that's going to heavily affect your sister. if she wants a laptop for "Office, watch movies, listen to music, and surf online", then the current crop of laptops is MORE than adequate for the task.

adding in the dedicated GPU is nice if she intends on gaming or using programs that advantage of the cuda cores...but it's just $50 wasted if she doesn't do either. i suppose it's not a terrible waste and will improve the resaleability of it if she decides she doesn't want it later on.

mostly, netbooks are painful to use, and if there's no reason your sister has to suffer through using one for a year (she doesn't), and there's no advantage to doing so for her (there isn't), then why not buy now?
__________________
Hold me closer Tony Danza
Count the Headlights on the Highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
You've had a busy day today.
Fayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
jaydee
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 4,212
Default

How much does an SSD add to the build using Lenovo's configuration?
__________________
Lian Li Q11 --- FSP300-60GHS-R
Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe --- AMD Phenom II X4 B55 (3.2GHz) w/Scythe Big Shuriken
AMD Radeon 7570 DDR3 --- 8GB DDR3 1333
Samsung 830 120GB running Win8 Pro
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
sm625
Diamond Member
 
sm625's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,313
Default

"NVIDIA N13M-NS" omg I feel like I just came out of a coma. What is that gpu?
__________________
I am looking for a cheap upgrade to my 3 year old computer.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4770k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4770k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
kleinkinstein
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Closet
Posts: 823
Default

Swap the Advanced for the Ultimate. The 3x3 AGN makes a huge difference, for what about $30?
kleinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
fatpolomanjr
Member
 
fatpolomanjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
it looks like it's a decent deal.

to the previous poster: the x1 carbon and t430s are same generation.

as far as haswell, it's not something that's going to heavily affect your sister. if she wants a laptop for "Office, watch movies, listen to music, and surf online", then the current crop of laptops is MORE than adequate for the task.
I should have elaborated: the X1 Carbon had ridiculous shipment delays, like 1-2 month delays, when it came out in August. If the OP were to wait for a new Haswell laptop possibly coming out around that time then shipment delays could cause headaches if trying to get the laptop by September.

For the OP sister's kind of use, any Core 2 Duo and up generation laptop would probably fit the bill; I only mentioned Haswell because of the supposed efficiency and amazing battery life expected of it, not because of the processing power boost.
fatpolomanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
kevinsbane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkinstein View Post
Swap the Advanced for the Ultimate. The 3x3 AGN makes a huge difference, for what about $30?
Do the T430 series have the same limitation that the X230 does with the 3x3 antenna? Namely that you can't have 3x3 antenna AND an integrated webcam?
kevinsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Fayd
Diamond Member
 
Fayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Around
Posts: 7,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post
Do the T430 series have the same limitation that the X230 does with the 3x3 antenna? Namely that you can't have 3x3 antenna AND an integrated webcam?
doesn't look like it.
__________________
Hold me closer Tony Danza
Count the Headlights on the Highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
You've had a busy day today.
Fayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Fayd
Diamond Member
 
Fayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Around
Posts: 7,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm625 View Post
"NVIDIA N13M-NS" omg I feel like I just came out of a coma. What is that gpu?
either an nvidia quadro 5400m or 5200m.

i think in this case it's a 5400m.
__________________
Hold me closer Tony Danza
Count the Headlights on the Highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
You've had a busy day today.
Fayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Bonesdad
Platinum Member
 
Bonesdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 2,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueHuong View Post
I'm helping my sister pick out a laptop for grad school next fall; she'll mainly use Office, watch movies, listen to music, and surf online. I would like to have a reliable system that will last her for the next few years, in terms of hardware durability and in running the latest software efficiently.

I'm using my friend's employee discounts for Lenovo laptops and the total comes to $750 w/ free shipping. Is this a good deal? There's no rush to buy a laptop so we can always wait for a good deal until sept 2013. But she's been using a netbook at home so it's a little painful. Thoughts appreciated.

ThinkPad T430s
Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA N13M-NS Optimus Graphics 1GB, Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
UltraNav multi-touch touchpad & TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
6 Cell Lithium Battery T81+
Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
Mobile Broadband upgradable
1 Year Depot/Express Warranty
I picked up a T430 for about $800 a month ago. Exact same setup (with a 3230 CPU). I'm very pleased so far, been rock stable and speedy. I'll likely add another stick of ram at some point and an SSD as my boot drive, then put the 500GB drive in the ultrabay. For now though, I'm happy. I say go for it.
__________________
I only SEEM conceited, but it's just because I'm better than you, and you know it...

heat = 3-0-0 Ebay = 71-0-0
Bonesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.