· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
zsdersw
Lifer

Default Conversion therapists sued

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/27/us/con...html?hpt=hp_t4

Quote:
The conversion therapy techniques included having them strip naked in group sessions, cuddling and intimate holding of others of the same-sex, violently beating an effigy of their mothers with a tennis racket, visiting bath houses "in order to be nude with father figures," and being "subjected to ridicule as 'faggots' and 'homos' in mock locker room scenarios," the suit said.
Shocking, shocking I tell you, that this sort of "therapy" didn't work and was psychologically destructive for these guys.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Ausm
Lifer

Oh I thought this was an article about Marcus Bachmann!

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
ichy
Diamond Member

Maybe someone can start suing homeopaths, naturopaths and other quacks and scam artists as well.
“Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely soley upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”
-Christopher Hitchens
ichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Theb
Diamond Member

At first I was going to say they're lucky they didn't get 'inappropriately touched' by the counselor like those other guys, but after reading the techniques I think I would've rather gotten a handy.

How do people come up with this crap? "Beat your mom with a tennis racket, then cuddle with this other guy. Ok, you ready for some vagina?"
Theb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
dank69
Lifer

lolreligion

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb View Post
How do people come up with this crap? "Beat your mom with a tennis racket, then cuddle with this other guy. Ok, you ready for some vagina?"
well, it worked for me!

mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
nehalem256
Lifer

Why would anyone think that "cuddling and intimate holding of others of the same-sex" would make someone less gay?
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
SMOGZINN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
Why would anyone think that "cuddling and intimate holding of others of the same-sex" would make someone less gay?
That part wasn't really meant to be effective, the therapist just enjoyed watching it.
"The open society, the unrestricted access to knowledge, the unplanned and uninhibited association of men for its furtherance? These are what may make a vast, complex, ever-growing, ever-changing, ever more specialized and expert technological world nevertheless a world of human community." - J. Robert Oppenheimer
SMOGZINN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOGZINN View Post
That part wasn't really meant to be effective, the therapist just enjoyed watching it.
most likely this.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
MomentsofSanity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb View Post
Shit I, in no way, have expressed any outward violence to any representation of my mother and have laid named with many women.

My wife is going to be heartbroken to learn I've now got the gay
MomentsofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
JohnOfSheffield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Maybe someone can start suing homeopaths, naturopaths and other quacks and scam artists as well.
If people are stupid enough to use that crap then they should suffer.

However, i don't think that they should be able to claim any effects of their treatments that have not been proven in a peer reviewed clinical study. IOW, they shouldn't be able to claim that their treatments do anything at all.
JohnOfSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
ShawnD1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank69 View Post
lolreligion
The really sad part is that religious nuts could have "cured" gayness just by reading a science book. Several studies have shown that increased levels of dopamine in the brain can radically change a person's sexual preference. In tests with fruit flies, giving them alcohol or meth would make them stop caring about male vs female; they would try to mate with everything. A similar effect is seen in humans. Drunk girls make out with each other, and meth is widely known to cause homosexual behavior in men. If we put on our thinking caps, we can figure out a way to do the opposite. Meth is a strong dopamine activating drug, so it would make sense that blocking dopamine would "fix" gay thoughts. As expected, this prediction is confirmed by science. Dopamine antagonists are generally used to treat psychotic disorders, and one of the side effects is that they completely kill a person's sex drive.

So here we see the difference approaches to making people less gay.
Science - give them haloperidol.
Religion - torture them until something happens.
ShawnD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Retro Rob
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnD1 View Post
The really sad part is that religious nuts could have "cured" gayness just by reading a science book. Several studies have shown that increased levels of dopamine in the brain can radically change a person's sexual preference. In tests with fruit flies, giving them alcohol or meth would make them stop caring about male vs female; they would try to mate with everything. A similar effect is seen in humans. Drunk girls make out with each other, and meth is widely known to cause homosexual behavior in men. If we put on our thinking caps, we can figure out a way to do the opposite. Meth is a strong dopamine activating drug, so it would make sense that blocking dopamine would "fix" gay thoughts. As expected, this prediction is confirmed by science. Dopamine antagonists are generally used to treat psychotic disorders, and one of the side effects is that they completely kill a person's sex drive.

I have a cure!!

...leave them alone.

I'm not pro-gay, but I am against "forcing" things out of people. You can't do that anyway, and this "conversion therapy" trash isn't real science.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
IronWing
Lifer

People never learn. Anti-cult deprogrammers got their butts sued off back when cults were the big thing.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
zsdersw
Lifer

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2...xgay-therapist

Quote:
A first-of-it’s-kind lawsuit charging a prominent ex-gay leader with consumer fraud for offering to “cure” homosexuals will be waged in a New Jersey court. Whichever way the court may rule, we can confirm that the Southern Poverty Law Center's allegations match our own personal experiences with the man at the center of the lawsuit.

Arthur Goldberg is the founder of Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing, commonly known as JONAH. Goldberg has made no public comments about the substance of the lawsuit other than to issue a press release condemning the suit as an attack on free speech. But the issues at the heart of the lawsuit—the therapy practices he promotes as a “gay cure”—were the subject of hours of videotaped interviews we conducted with Goldberg several years ago. Those interviews ended up being featured in our documentary, Chasing the Devil: Inside the Ex-Gay Movement.

In the lawsuit, four gay men claim that Goldberg’s organization charged them for phoney counseling sessions that involved pillow beating, trash talking their mothers, and nudity with other men to switch their sexual orientation. All of the claims match what Goldberg told us on camera, and showed us during the filming of our documentary (watch an excerpt from his interview on the next page). We can’t tell you if this amounts to consumer fraud, but we can tell you that the plaintiffs' charges ring true.

We first met Goldberg at our apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan after he refused to give us the address of his organization. He said he had to get to know us before releasing such sensitive information. “We’re somewhat afraid of the gay activists, they can make things difficult for us, and that’s why the address isn’t listed,” Goldberg explained. Several hours later, satisfied we were really documentary filmmakers and not gay activists, Goldberg agreed to allow us access to his facility, therapists and some patients. It turns out the JONAH headquarters are inside a Jersey City building fronting as a Russian Jewish art museum.

In the consumer fraud lawsuit Benjamin Unger claims he was ordered to beat a pillow with a tennis racket while shouting “Mom! Mom! Mom!” That’s a practice Goldberg was eager to have us film when he put us in contact with Baltimore based conversion therapist Richard Cohen. Goldberg works closely with Cohen and refers many of his clients to him for counseling. Cohen had a patient demonstrate the practice for us. Goldberg told us the treatment was based on the idea that homosexuality comes out of family dysfunction, “there is a very clear pattern of what causes homosexuality, over involvement with the mother is a major factor.” In the lawsuit Unger says the treatment greatly damaged his relationship with his mom. No doubt. Goldberg listed other possible causes as, “child sex abuse, same sex peer abuse, body image wounding, and defensive attachment to the father.”

Richard Cohen is not named in the New Jersey lawsuit but a source says he was involved with treating the plaintiffs. Cohen practices a form of touch therapy that involves caressing and holding the patient on his lap. In the lawsuit against Goldberg, it’s alleged that young men were instructed to remove their clothes and stand naked in a circle with an equally nude counselor. This tracks with what Goldberg and Cohen told us about the importance of male bonding and body image issues.

“Body image problems are confidence problems, a body wound is a sense of feeling different,” is the way Goldberg put it. It’s worth noting that Cohen is a former moonie who married his wife at a Unification Church mass wedding at Madison Square Garden. He was disciplined by the American Counseling Association and ultimately kicked out of the organization. Goldberg is a disbarred lawyer who was convicted of three counts of mail fraud and served six months in a federal prison.

At the heart of the potentially ground breaking lawsuit against Goldberg is the argument that conversion therapy promotes the idea that being gay is a choice, a position gay activists believe promotes anti-gay bigotry. ” There is no such thing as homophobia, homophobia is a made up term, a way of making the average American feel guilty,” was how Goldberg responded to a similar argument in our film. We’ll see if it’s the same argument he makes in court.

During the course of our filming with Goldberg he said a lot of surprising things. But perhaps nothing was as surprising as the revelation that he has an openly gay son, “ I don’t want to embarrass my son, but yes, he doesn’t like to be publicly identified, it’s not just my son, it’s a lot of members of my family.” It will be interesting to see if any of them get called to testify.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:
Richard Cohen is not named in the New Jersey lawsuit but a source says he was involved with treating the plaintiffs. Cohen practices a form of touch therapy that involves caressing and holding the patient on his lap. In the lawsuit against Goldberg, it’s alleged that young men were instructed to remove their clothes and stand naked in a circle with an equally nude counselor. This tracks with what Goldberg and Cohen told us about the importance of male bonding and body image issues.
Maybe he was kicked out as a scout leader & came up with this idea. ??
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
TheVrolok
Lifer

Quote:

.. I don't even.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
werepossum
Lifer

Quote:

But is killing someone's sex drive really curing their gayness? (Or is that gaity?) By that standard I can make you stop having gay thoughts with just a hammer, a hard surface, and your finger. (Disclaimer: My patented gay-thought curing therapy may not work if administered by George Clooney or whoever gay men find especially attractive. And results may vary over time, as digits heal.)

Conversion therapy obviously didn't work on whomever designed the OP's quoted "therapy".
guys go ahead and keep on using 25% of the world's energy - Barack Hussein Obama
werepossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
TheVrolok
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by werepossum View Post
But is killing someone's sex drive really curing their gayness? (Or is that gaity?) By that standard I can make you stop having gay thoughts with just a hammer, a hard surface, and your finger. (Disclaimer: My patented gay-thought curing therapy may not work if administered by George Clooney or whoever gay men find especially attractive. And results may vary over time, as digits heal.)

Conversion therapy obviously didn't work on whomever designed the OP's quoted "therapy".
I wouldn't bother delving further into that pseudoscience.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
sandorski
No Lifer

This used to be called "Brainwashing"

Protip: If the "Blood of Jesus" and Prayer don't Cure it, maybe it's because your Religion is BS?

FX 8320@4ghz||Zalman LQ310||AsusM5A99X EVO R2
||XFX 5870 1gb||16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3||Seasonic M12 II 500watts||Zalman Z9 Plus||Asus MS238H

Science inspires us towards a better tomorrow, Fundamentalism wants us to die.
sandorski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
Retro Rob
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werepossum View Post

Nope, it won't work.

They may want to stop homosexual conduct, after all, this is how us "outsiders" (non-attraction detectors) properly identify homosexual persons by seeing them in romantic relationships with persons of the same sex or by their sexual contact with one another.

It all starts in the mind. If thoughts are controlled, so is conduct.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
hal2kilo
Diamond Member

Quote:

Hard to get it up when you are Dozn an Drooln (one of my favorite Rootboy Slim songs)

Go Seahawks! SUPERBOWL 48 CHAMPS!
hal2kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
Jaskalas
Lifer

I don't care for our sue happy culture...

OTOH, some of this stuff... hell, ALL of it is quite absurd.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
Moonbeam
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskalas View Post
I don't care for our sue happy culture...

OTOH, some of this stuff... hell, ALL of it is quite absurd.
Call me if you have lung cancer and worked with asbestos. I may be able to make me some money and give you a bit.
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote