Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > General Hardware

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default My First Build

Hi all,

I'm about as green as you can get with this stuff... so please, go easy on me. There are finer details I don't entirely get yet, so if you see something that looks like an amateur mistake... it's probably because it is.

I used to play around with upgrading PC's a little while ago. This is my first attempt at building at scratch... and the PC world has changed since I was last in it. So yeah, I'm pretty green.

New Thread Template:
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

It's a gaming PC, higher-end. Though I also plan to make it my all-around PC as well. Web browsing, watching non-HD video/internet streaming, remoting in to work, etc.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1000 but $100-$200 higher is alright. I'm not sure what 20% spread means.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

USA. Newegg is my go-to site.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

No preference... but I have my eye on Intel and nVidia at the moment.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I don't have any parts, building from scratch.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No overclocking.

8. What resolution will you be using?

My monitor can support 1080p. I don't want to push it that hard though.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

In the next week or two I'd like to order the parts at least. When they arrive, I begin building.


Based on information I've collected on other sites, I've made up a little shopping list just to get an idea of prices/availability. Be gentle...
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB
$17.99

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$79.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$79.99

Galaxy 67NPH6DV6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$419.99

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$89.99

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995
$39.99

ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$109.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
$219.99

XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included dual fan push pull compatible
$24.99

Subtotal: $1,069.91

Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms?

Thanks for any help!


EDIT: Changed my mind on the RAM.

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-25-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
mfenn
Elite Member
Moderator
General Hardware
 
mfenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
H
8. What resolution will you be using?

My monitor can support 1080p. I don't want to push it that hard though.
Why not? Those pixels are there to be used!

Overall, it looks like you have $1000-1200 to spend with no OS or peripherals required. That meas that you are the perfect candidate for my midrange builders guide!

In there you will find a build with the same general idea as what you've posted, just much tighter and more cost efficient. In particular, it includes and SSD (which your build lacks) and has a more powerful GPU, all while costing less.

Add one of the recommended CPU coolers to the build if you want a lower noise setup. You can also get a different case since you have some extra money to play with.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess if the PC can handle 1080p easily then it's something I might look into... but I've used low to mid range PC's all my life so I've gotten very used to sacrificing quality for improved speed/stability. Old habits die hard lol.

Is the Radeon HD 7970 any better than the GTX 670? The price point is only $10-20 off and both come with free games.

Is 550W enough for the PSU? That 650W SeaSonic I mentioned is crazy cheap due to a sale currently going. I almost want to get it just to make sure I don't miss out lol. Better too much than not enough, right? Especially for only $20 or so more (I don't normally trust rebates if I can help it).

Could you explain why a SSD is needed? Not that I don't believe you, but from what people tell me they are basically faster storage for the OS that typically die sooner than a hard drive. Everything equal, I'd almost think it'd be better to save $100 and keep everything housed on the hard drive? Especially one as large as 1-2TB.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh, and if I went with my build, do you notice any inherent problems? I'm probably more concerned about stability and compatibility than saving money (though $100-200 or so is nothing to sneeze at).

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
riversend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Could you explain why a SSD is needed? Not that I don't believe you, but from what people tell me they are basically faster storage for the OS that typically die sooner than a hard drive. Everything equal, I'd almost think it'd be better to save $100 and keep everything housed on the hard drive? Especially one as large as 1-2TB.
Get the SSD. Unless you are moving huge amounts of data constantly and want the drive to last you more than a decade then there is nothing to worry about. Most of the SSD tests that show rapid failures of the memory are absolute worst case scenarios. You will certainly build a new PC (or upgrade) well before that happens, so the life of the drive is generally a moot point (outside of the drive failing due to controller or other issues).

The SSD with the OS installed will seriously improve your system boot times, load times for programs installed on it and will make your computer much quieter - no HDD constantly spinning up to access OS files etc. You can certainly just go with a single large drive, but in your price range that makes no sense.
riversend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversend View Post
Get the SSD. Unless you are moving huge amounts of data constantly and want the drive to last you more than a decade then there is nothing to worry about. Most of the SSD tests that show rapid failures of the memory are absolute worst case scenarios. You will certainly build a new PC (or upgrade) well before that happens, so the life of the drive is generally a moot point (outside of the drive failing due to controller or other issues).

The SSD with the OS installed will seriously improve your system boot times, load times for programs installed on it and will make your computer much quieter - no HDD constantly spinning up to access OS files etc. You can certainly just go with a single large drive, but in your price range that makes no sense.
Makes sense, definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

I guess my biggest concern at the moment is the compatibility between the main pieces. The motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and 650W PSU (which I think I would be kind of foolish to pass up at that price, gives me some breathing room for upgrades as well).

If I bought everything in the OP, would I run into any compatibility/stability problems? And how do I know if it'll all fit well in the case? lol

Also... I'm updating the OP as things get sold out and/or I decide on tweaks from the mid-range sticky guide.

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
riversend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 408
Default

You don't need the 650W, but if it makes you feel better then go ahead and get it.
riversend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Makes sense, definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

I guess my biggest concern at the moment is the compatibility between the main pieces. The motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and 650W PSU (which I think I would be kind of foolish to pass up at that price, gives me some breathing room for upgrades as well).

If I bought everything in the OP, would I run into any compatibility/stability problems?

Also... I'm updating the OP as things get sold out and/or I decide on tweaks from the mid-range sticky guide.
No need to worry - all your parts work together.

I'm going to emphasize the importance of an SSD - absolutely use one in this price range. Also, you're spending too much on that hard drive. If a Caviar Black is any faster than hard drives at 2/3 the price, it surely won't be noticeable - the OS on the SSD will make a MUCH bigger difference. This Samsung will save you $25, which you can put towards the SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

Also, paying $420 for a GTX670 doesn't make sense at this point. The 7970 is slightly faster and almost always cheaper, and actually, you can get decent 670s for $350 or so (avoid the reference model). This Galaxy at $350 would be great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162107

And yes, jump at that Seasonic - it's an amazing deal.

By the way, it may seem counter-intuitive, but these simple Samsung RAM sticks at $35 are WAY better than the Mushkin kit at $40 you have above: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147096

And one more thing - the posts above assume you have Windows. Is that true?
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!

Last edited by Termie; 11-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Midnight Rambler
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 4,200
Default

I'd definitely go with the alternate 1.35V Samsung DRAM that mfenn suggests. 8GB is more than enough, unless you're going 64-bit Windows ? 2 modules is also the right move.

Also, I'd go with an SSD for the OS and important software programs + a conventional HD for the rest. Others have explained above, in detail, exactly why. But if you want a short and sweet version of the answer it's simple ... adding an SSD to a system, even an older one, is probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck options out there today. Crucial m4 128GB is still $89AR at Microcenter, even on-line I believe. Good choice on the WD Black for a conventional HD.

Can't comment on the mobo, except that Z77 is the way to go. Generally I have always used a mid-level board from Asus or Gigabyte, but that would add at least $50-75 to your current mobo cost.
__________________
"There are only three true sports - motor racing, bullfighting, and mountaineering. All the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Midnight Rambler; 11-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Midnight Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
No need to worry - all your parts work together.

I'm going to emphasize the importance of an SSD - absolutely use one in this price range. Also, you're spending too much on that hard drive. If a Caviar Black is any faster than hard drives at 2/3 the price, it surely won't be noticeable - the OS on the SSD will make a MUCH bigger difference. This Samsung will save you $25, which you can put towards the SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

Also, paying $420 for a GTX670 doesn't make sense at this point. The 7970 is slightly faster and almost always cheaper, and actually, you can get decent 670s for $350 or so (avoid the reference model). This Galaxy at $350 would be great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162107

And yes, jump at that Seasonic - it's an amazing deal.

By the way, it may seem counter-intuitive, but these simple Samsung RAM sticks at $35 are WAY better than the Mushkin kit at $40 you have above: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147096
Alright, I'm going to nab that SeaSonic just cause I have a feeling it won't be around too much longer and it should be just right for the type of build I'm making (and then some). Gotta start buying this stuff at some point lol.

I literally know nothing about GPU's these days. I'm just kind of looking at nVidia because I did ATI 4-5 years ago when I was upgrading my crappy little low-mid range PC. If the 7970 is actually better and/or cheaper, I wouldn't mind looking into it. Any 7970's on Newegg that you think are a good deal? I generally don't know where to start. Too many brands lol.

Why are those Samsung sticks that much better? What role does voltage play in RAM? I read that 1.5V was best for the CPU I'm considering getting.


EDIT: Also, the CPU/Mobo combo in the OP (also in the mid-range sticky guide), is that a "slam dunk" for the type of build I'm making? I know the CPU is spot on, but is that motherboard any good? I don't know a ton about it and it's tough to throw $300+ at something I'm not really familiar with.

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-25-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Alright, I'm going to nab that SeaSonic just cause I have a feeling it won't be around too much longer and it should be just right for the type of build I'm making (and then some). Gotta start buying this stuff at some point lol.

I literally know nothing about GPU's these days. I'm just kind of looking at nVidia because I did ATI 4-5 years ago when I was upgrading my crappy little low-mid range PC. If the 7970 is actually better and/or cheaper, I wouldn't mind looking into it. Any 7970's on Newegg that you think are a good deal? I generally don't know where to start. Too many brands lol.

Why are those Samsung sticks that much better? What role does voltage play in RAM? I read that 1.5V was best for the CPU I'm considering getting.


EDIT: Also, the CPU/Mobo combo in the OP (also in the mid-range sticky guide), is that a "slam dunk" for the type of build I'm making? I know the CPU is spot on, but is that motherboard any good? I don't know a ton about it and it's tough to throw $300+ at something I'm not really familiar with.
The 7970 has actually gone up in price, so the 670 at $350 is your best bet right now.

The Samsung memory is able to operate at much lower voltages or alternatively at higher speeds at standard voltages.

That motherboard is fine for your purposes, actually it's a bit more than you need since you don't want to overclock. You could get by with an H77 board.
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
That motherboard is fine for your purposes, actually it's a bit more than you need since you don't want to overclock. You could get by with an H77 board.
Guess I'm curious more in regards to the brand. If it's reputable and worth the money. Reading the reviews seem a little mixed.

Also, (anyone can answer these by the way lol), any thoughts in regards to a case for all of this. I'm not really a great judge of it, but I wonder how well ventilated the case in the sticky is. I like the one I suggested... but it's a little bulky. And I have no idea if the stuff I'm considering would fit lol.

Thanks for all the help guys, I've been reading up on this stuff pretty much non-stop and I'm learning a lot.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Guess I'm curious more in regards to the brand. If it's reputable and worth the money. Reading the reviews seem a little mixed.

Also, (anyone can answer these by the way lol), any thoughts in regards to a case for all of this. I'm not really a great judge of it, but I wonder how well ventilated the case in the sticky is. I like the one I suggested... but it's a little bulky. And I have no idea if the stuff I'm considering would fit lol.

Thanks for all the help guys, I've been reading up on this stuff pretty much non-stop and I'm learning a lot.
AsRock is a fine brand. There are always mixed reviews on motherboards. Many issues are blamed on motherboards by users that probably don't know what the true problem is. AsRock is very solid.

Cases are subjective. The NZXT in the sticky was based mostly on price. In your price range I'm partial to the Corsair 300R based on function and aesthetics. You may not like the look though. The Storm Scout you picked should cool relatively well. It's a popular case, and has been around a while, but is being replaced by a newer version. My hunch is there are better cases for the price but it's not a bad choice.

The Corsair 300R is on sale right now for $50(!): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139011

Actually, the Storm Scout is $50 today also, so whichever you want, buy it on sale!!!
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!

Last edited by Termie; 11-26-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

The deed is done. I wasn't going to do it so soon but I've literally spent every free moment this weekend (and this evening) researching and jumping from forum to forum taking advice and tweaking the final build. I'm pretty content with it and at the very least, the most expensive stuff I'm 100% confident in (the CPU, video card, etc)... so if there's any further tweaks to be made I won't be breaking the bank.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
The deed is done. I wasn't going to do it so soon but I've literally spent every free moment this weekend (and this evening) researching and jumping from forum to forum taking advice and tweaking the final build. I'm pretty content with it and at the very least, the most expensive stuff I'm 100% confident in (the CPU, video card, etc)... so if there's any further tweaks to be made I won't be breaking the bank.

Thanks for the help guys!
What did you end up with?
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Similar to the OP. Replaced the RAM with the suggested Samsung product. Went with the ASRock Z77 mobo. Went with the white Corsair Carbide 500R case ($70 AR). The $350 Geforce GTX 670 (hopefully the free games work lol). A pretty nifty Cooler Master CPU cooler. Thermal paste lol. Everything else mostly the same.

I'm going to do the SSD but I'm going through withdrawl after parting with the money as it is (part of the reason I didn't rush to post the final spec, the last thing I need is to be criticized lol), so I'm just going to work with the hard drive while actually building the PC and throw it in and reformat/reinstall everything once I'm comfortable. Probably will be decently over $1000 when all is said and done, but I expected to.

While on the topic... any good actual PC building guides out there? I'm sure I'll need it.

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
T_Yamamoto
Lifer
 
T_Yamamoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina State University
Posts: 13,775
Default

Neweggs " how to build a PC" guide on YouTube.
__________________
Intel i5 4430, MSI B85M-P33, Gigabyte Windforce R9 270x, 6GB ram, Intel 530 128gb SSD, WD 160gb HDD, Toshiba Canvio 1tb External HDD, Windows 7, NZXT Vulcan, Dell E2414H, ROCCAT Kova+ Max, TG3 BL82
Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4278U 2.6Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 128gb SSD
iPhone 6 16gb CDMA
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Great build. The Corsair 500R was a smoking deal. Pretty swanky too.

Getting the build together prior to buying the SSD sounds fine, but once it's together and everything works, jump on an SSD right away. You can get small but fast SSDs for under $80. It would be a shame not to have one in this very capable system.
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

So simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
Great build. The Corsair 500R was a smoking deal. Pretty swanky too.

Getting the build together prior to buying the SSD sounds fine, but once it's together and everything works, jump on an SSD right away. You can get small but fast SSDs for under $80. It would be a shame not to have one in this very capable system.
Thanks for the kudos. Never had money until I got this job so spending so much at once is very uncharacteristic for me, and kind of stressful!

It'll be worth it though. Lots of fun and learning to be had.

I'll definitely do the SSD, one around 60gigs sounds perfect for me.

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
mfenn
Elite Member
Moderator
General Hardware
 
mfenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Similar to the OP. Replaced the RAM with the suggested Samsung product. Went with the ASRock Z77 mobo. Went with the white Corsair Carbide 500R case ($70 AR). The $350 Geforce GTX 670 (hopefully the free games work lol). A pretty nifty Cooler Master CPU cooler. Thermal paste lol. Everything else mostly the same.

I'm going to do the SSD but I'm going through withdrawl after parting with the money as it is (part of the reason I didn't rush to post the final spec, the last thing I need is to be criticized lol), so I'm just going to work with the hard drive while actually building the PC and throw it in and reformat/reinstall everything once I'm comfortable. Probably will be decently over $1000 when all is said and done, but I expected to.

While on the topic... any good actual PC building guides out there? I'm sure I'll need it.
Huh, I'm curious how you managed to spend over $1000 on the parts you listed. My midrange build with no SSD and downgraded to a GTX 670 would cost $850.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
Huh, I'm curious how you managed to spend over $1000 on the parts you listed. My midrange build with no SSD and downgraded to a GTX 670 would cost $850.
To be fair, I don't think the original post reflects what he actually paid. I think he paid less. Also, he got a much, much nicer case and a higher quality modular psu. The midrange build you put together is all about performance per dollar, but not looks or silence.
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

EDIT: Guess Newegg was actually out of stock of something in my order, but the email doesn't say what. How silly.

Think it's the CPU and mobo combo. Lame.

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Here's what I think you purchased - looks like a good deal to me:

(1) Corsair 500R - $70AR
(2) Seasonic x650 - $90
(3) CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (?) - $15AR
(4) Seagate Barracuda - $80
(5) Intel 3570k - $220 (-$20GC)
(6) Samsung 2x4GB - $35
(7) Galaxy GTX670 GC - $350AR
(8) AsRock z77 Pro4 - $110
(9) DVD burner - $18

TOTAL: $988AR, plus shipping (if any), minus $20 gift card

If you haven't used that GC yet, apply it to an SSD sooner rather than later.
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #23
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Yeah, that's more or less it. Though I'll need to get the mobo and CPU separately since the Core i5 3570K is all sold out on Newegg. Despite me ordering it when it said in-stock.

Now that I'm just down to those two and I know what I want though, maybe I'll pace myself and hunt out a deal. Give everything else a chance to ship lol.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Yeah, that's more or less it. Though I'll need to get the mobo and CPU separately since the Core i5 3570K is all sold out on Newegg. Despite me ordering it when it said in-stock.

Now that I'm just down to those two and I know what I want though, maybe I'll pace myself and hunt out a deal. Give everything else a chance to ship lol.
AsRock z77 Extreme4 is currently $105. Save $5, get more features: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293

And the Extreme3 is $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157330

Strange that Newegg is saying things were sold out. Both your MB and CPU are currently showing in stock.
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Dreakon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Default

The CPU was sold out when I posted last... guess they got some more. How convenient.

Is that Extreme4 good? Will it work with all my other stuff? Is it overkill for my machine (if a good mobo can be overkill)?

Last edited by Dreakon; 11-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.