Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Memory and Storage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Railgun
Senior Member
 
Railgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ORD-->LHR
Posts: 986
Default

That's just it. I don't believe they are. They make a competitive product at, though heavily rebated, a very attractive price point. Seagate's interest would great for them, in particular for the consumer market given they don't have squat for a consumer SSD.

If that ship is still in port, I easily see them picking up OCZ as cargo before setting off. While everyone sees panic in the reports, I don't think they see the big picture.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

OCZ makes a commodity product with a history of poor quality, dishonest marketing, and premature product releases.

While it is certainly possible that OCZ could release a quality product now, that they could charge enough to make a profit, and provide support for the product for five years or more, that is not a bet most smart people are willing to make.
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #28
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member
 
thebigbolgna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In da woods
Posts: 5,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
OCZ makes a commodity product with a history of poor quality, dishonest marketing, and premature product releases.

While it is certainly possible that OCZ could release a quality product now, that they could charge enough to make a profit, and provide support for the product for five years or more, that is not a bet most smart people are willing to make.
I've had 5 OCZ SSD's, never a single issue. I Always run newest firmware.

My Vertex 4 is crazy fast.

I have no problem using them. I do agree with pre-mature releasing though, but they are improving with this.
__________________
HTPC: Intel G3258 @ 4.3GHz | MSI H81M-P33 | Zotac GTX 750 1GB | 8GB Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 120GB Intel 320 | 1TB WD Black 2.5" | LG 55" 1080p LED |
Tablet: Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Phone: iPhone 5s 64GB
Console: PS4

Last edited by thebigbolgna; 11-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.
thebigbolgna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigystyle84 View Post
I've had 5 OCZ SSD's
And you think a sample size of 5 is significant?
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #30
Shmee
Moderator
Memory and Storage
Video Cards and Graphics
 
Shmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 2,211
Default

Looks rather good, assuming the price is decent and it is reliable. Shouldn't be too bad with the new indilinx controllers, at least its not sandforce.

Will have to wait for the reviews and see if there are any release problems.
__________________
Anandtech Moderator
4930k @ 4.2 GHz under corsair H100i
R9 290 crossfire 2x Sapphire Tri X | Seasonic 1250 Gold
16GB Corsair Vengeance on Gigabyte X79-UP4
HP ZR30W | Haf X | Logitech G110 + G500
Seagate 600 + Crucial M4 + WD black 1TB
Shmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #31
Railgun
Senior Member
 
Railgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ORD-->LHR
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
And you think a sample size of 5 is significant?
I'm running five as well with no issues. So it's significant to those that actually own them and not base it on hear say.

I'm not going to go into statistics again. That was another thread.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #32
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I'm running five as well with no issues. So it's significant to those that actually own them and not base it on hear say.
No, a sample size of 5 is not statistically significant here. Anyone with any background at all in basic statistics knows that a sample size of 5 is absurdly useless here.

In this case it is even worse than one might naively expect because the reported samples are certainly not random samples.
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #33
Railgun
Senior Member
 
Railgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ORD-->LHR
Posts: 986
Default

As I said, that's another thread.

One's first hand experience plays a larger part than some stats that may or may not hold any weight.

Speaking of which, have you had any?
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member
 
thebigbolgna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In da woods
Posts: 5,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
And you think a sample size of 5 is significant?
Do you own any or had any first hand experience with them? Doubtful. I would insert a eyes rolling smilies, but im not 11.
__________________
HTPC: Intel G3258 @ 4.3GHz | MSI H81M-P33 | Zotac GTX 750 1GB | 8GB Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 120GB Intel 320 | 1TB WD Black 2.5" | LG 55" 1080p LED |
Tablet: Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Phone: iPhone 5s 64GB
Console: PS4
thebigbolgna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #35
VirtualLarry
Lifer
 
VirtualLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,951
Default

My experience with the Barefoot 2 SATA2 controller has been good. Those are in the Vertex Plus R2 drives. (Totally different controller than the original Vertex Plus, which were problematic in the extreme.)

My three drives have been running fine so far, and there has been no firmware update posted that I am aware of for these drives.

It seems to me that Sandforce is far more problematic than Barefoot, and most of OCZ's poor reputation was because they jumped into bed early on with Sandforce, and Sandforce was using their OEM customers to effectively beta-test their drives and firmware.
__________________
Rig(s) not listed, because I change computers, like some people change their socks.
ATX is for poor people. And 'gamers.' - phucheneh
haswell is bulldozer... - aigomorla
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #36
razel
Golden Member
 
razel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sunny Los Angeles
Posts: 1,141
Default

Looks like the embargo is over. PCPer and HardOCP already have a review. It's very interesting. So far this controller and the LAMB controller are next gen controllers I've seen (there could be others) that get around .030 ms latency in AS SSD. I know AS SSD measures latency with what I feel is a useless 512bytes for SSDs. 4k would have been best, but it's a good gauge. Previous generation controllers all the way back to the 2009 Intel G1 are capable of .060 ms latency.

Latency and real world read benches (like Anand's light workload read) are the two good ways to get a feel of how nimble an SSD is and it's performance in real life. Sequential is primarily marketing. You really only see sequential speeds when cloning, backing up, etc.

Last edited by razel; 11-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.
razel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #37
Brahmzy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 441
Default

Agreed ^ Looking forward to Anand's review.
__________________
MAIN: 4770K 4.6 | Max VI Hero | 16GB 2400/C10 | H110 | 2 GTX670 FTW SLi | 2 840 Pro 256 R0 | SB Z | 750D | AX1200 | Z30i 1600p | 8.1x64
HTPC: 4670K 4.4 | Max VI Gene | 8GB 2133/C9 | NH-L9I | HD6450 | 840 Pro 128 | 2TB Red | GD05 | SSR-550RM | 70" | 8.1x64
MEDIA: 4670K 4.4 | Gryphon | 8GB 1866/C9 | VX Black | HD4600 | 840 Pro 128 | 4 F4 HD204UI R5 | 550D | SSR-550RM | 305T 1600p | 8.1x64
Brahmzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #38
Mfusick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
And you think a sample size of 5 is significant?
I have 15+ of them. Never an issue.

I bought only one Crucial and it crapped out.

Thoughts on that?
Mfusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
reynoldsjrmy
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 61
Default

Hi,

Here are some benchmarks for the 256GB Vector.

Firstly, as a spare in Z77 in Windows 7 with an OC (3770k - 5100MHz, RAM - 2400MHz....) -






Secondly, as a boot drive in Dell XPS 17 (I7 2670QM) in Windows 8 -








Remember this is on a laptop!

The new mantra for the new model OCZ is 'Stability'. When you open the box the all metal case certainly generates confidence and exudes quality.

Regds, JR
__________________
___________________________________

Asus P8Z77 WS; Intel Core I7-3770k; Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 (4x4 GB); 2 x Asus GTX 580 SLI; 2 x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (Raid 0); Big Spinners in R0, Lian Li PC-P80; Zalman Reserator XT, Seasonic 1000w Platinum

Dell XPS 17 lappy; Core I7-2670QM; 8GB RAM; OCZ Vector 256GB and OCZ Vertex 4 256GB

(Other SSDs - OCZ Vertex LE, OCZ Summit, OCZ Octane)

Last edited by reynoldsjrmy; 11-28-2012 at 04:21 PM.
reynoldsjrmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #40
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,091
Default

HardwareCanucks review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...sd-review.html
TechSpot review: http://www.techspot.com/review/609-ocz-vector-ssd/
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for deals? Check out The Hot Deals Blog at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How's your video card compare? See TBG's Video Card Rankings!
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #41
lehtv
Diamond Member
 
lehtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I have 15+ of them. Never an issue.

I bought only one Crucial and it crapped out.

Thoughts on that?
It is more likely that 15 drives will work fine, than it is that at least one of them won't work. Of course, it's much less likely that one drive will crap out as opposed to one or more out of 15. But that's irrelevant because it's also entirely plausible that you just got unlucky with the Crucial drive. Your experience says nothing about the reliability of OCZ drives versus Crucial drives.
__________________
System specs
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #42
blackened23
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,556
Default

For some reason, it's popular to hate OCZ these days and I really don't understand it. The issues with vertex 3 were related to sandforce, which affected all sandforce drives; OCZ made a mistake by using the sandforce controller (IMO).

I've previously owned 2 vertex 2 drives which still work today. Anyway, After reading the review at H and tomshardware I gotta say, i'm impressed. The Vector will be cheaper than the 840 pro and perform similarly, not too shabby.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #43
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
As I said, that's another thread.

One's first hand experience plays a larger part than some stats that may or may not hold any weight.
Only someone who is completely ignorant of basic statistics would make such a claim, so I'm not surprised that you evade the issue. But you would do better to learn some basic statistics rather than continuing to make statements that anyone with even a basic understanding of statistics recognizes as complete nonsense.
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #44
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtv View Post
Your experience says nothing about the reliability of OCZ drives versus Crucial drives.
Of course that is obvious to most people, but I did not respond to him because he has demonstrated many times in the past that logic and math are meaningless concepts to him. I don't bother responding to him much anymore.
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #45
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
For some reason, it's popular to hate OCZ these days and I really don't understand it.
It is not hard to understand. First, you need to abandon your straw man. Very few people "hate" OCZ -- it is just a corporation, not a person to be emotional about.

Once you get that out of the way, it is easy to understand why most people who are aware of OCZ's history want no part of their products. That history has been outlined here several times before, so I will not go into it other than to say that OCZ has a history of many years of dishonest business practices, misleading marketing, poor quality control, and rushing products to market before they are ready. The old saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" applies here. Why would any rational person take a chance on OCZ products when there are so many viable alternatives?
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #46
blackened23
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,556
Default

Maybe you can share specifics then, because this outline you speak of, I've not heard of it. I'm only aware that they had problems with the SF-2281, which obviously all manufacturers had issues with -- not just OCZ.

I really don't care about OCZ either way. I simply haven't had a problem with my vertex 2 drives years ago, and based on that i'd probably purchase again. If you have evidence proving otherwise (about deceptive marketing, etc), i'd love to hear it, my opinions are certainly subject to change. I haven't seen compelling evidence that OCZ intentionally sells bad products. If you would like to "outline" the reasons here, go for it. If your evidence certers completely around the SF-2281 i'd probably just dismiss your opinion because the defects with SF-2281 applies to all manufacturers. Sandforce basically sold a defective product, and in hindsight I guess OCZ should not have sold it (along with all other sandforce mfgrs)

Last edited by blackened23; 11-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member
 
thebigbolgna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In da woods
Posts: 5,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
It is not hard to understand. First, you need to abandon your straw man. Very few people "hate" OCZ -- it is just a corporation, not a person to be emotional about.

Once you get that out of the way, it is easy to understand why most people who are aware of OCZ's history want no part of their products. That history has been outlined here several times before, so I will not go into it other than to say that OCZ has a history of many years of dishonest business practices, misleading marketing, poor quality control, and rushing products to market before they are ready. The old saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" applies here. Why would any rational person take a chance on OCZ products when there are so many viable alternatives?
Because your assuming something based on the past (mostly Sandforce based SSD's) and applying it to all OCZ products. Remember OCZ was one of the first to release Sandforce based SSD's.

Remember Intel/SATA Chipset issues with P67?

All companies will have mistakes. It just happened OCZ was hit hard for releasing drives with firmware that were not ready for the market. If anything needs attention at OCZ, its this. Release products once ready, not because of a timeline.

OCZ released firmware that fixed the Sandforce issues with most of there drives.

Now they've moved away from Sandforce and reliability appears to be much improved.

My point is, your dwelling on something that has been mostly corrected through firmware updates, and something OCZ is vastly improved on.

I'm not defending OCZ, I just think your spewing garbage about OCZ that's no longer warranted. Since you love Stats, OCZ's Agility 4/Vertex 4 failure rates are around 4% which is market average in modern SSD's, while providing top tier speeds. (Including all firmware versions). They are also based on the same Marvell controller as the "Rock stable Crucial M4" while being faster. With there aggressive pricing and a 5 yr warranty, I don't see why anyone wouldn't consider one.
__________________
HTPC: Intel G3258 @ 4.3GHz | MSI H81M-P33 | Zotac GTX 750 1GB | 8GB Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 120GB Intel 320 | 1TB WD Black 2.5" | LG 55" 1080p LED |
Tablet: Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Phone: iPhone 5s 64GB
Console: PS4

Last edited by thebigbolgna; 11-27-2012 at 01:47 PM.
thebigbolgna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #48
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
Maybe you can share specifics then, because this outline you speak of, I've not heard of it.
Maybe you can do a little basic research yourself. I already said I am not going to repeat it. If you wish to stick your head in the sand, that is okay with me.
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #49
jwilliams4200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigystyle84 View Post
Because your assuming something based on the past (mostly Sandforce based SSD's) and applying it to all OCZ products.
No, I am not. OCZ has been a dishonest company long before Sandforce.
jwilliams4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #50
blackened23
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
Maybe you can do a little basic research yourself. I already said I am not going to repeat it. If you wish to stick your head in the sand, that is okay with me.
What the hell is your problem dude? Sticking my head in the sand really?

I'm asking for compelling evidence of your claims, and I have not seen it anywhere. The only issues i'm aware of are those related to SF-2281, which as i've stated before, are not OCZ issues but sandforce issues. Yes, OCZ could have handled this better -- but I'm hesitant to apply 100% of the blame on OCZ. Sandforce made a defective product.

Instead of insulting me and going on a posting spree about how much you hate OCZ, enlighten me as to why OCZ is a big evil corporation. I don't care either way - but i'm genuinely interested in this data you speak of. I have not heard such things ever before. I suppose this is where you insult me again? If your claims are true, great, I won't buy from them. You know, insulting people will not win many arguments for you.

This also, will not many arguments:

1) Present claim
2) Someone asks for evidence
3) Your response "GOOGLE IT DUDE"

Last edited by blackened23; 11-27-2012 at 01:49 PM.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.