· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Default It's official -- Note2 infringes says Apple

There's been talk of this but now it's a formal fact ... Apple has filed suit against Samsung for a number of devices including the Note2. It's pretty clear the Note2 is a slavish copy of the iPhone. I mean it looks AND acts exactly like one. Which one you ask, well, Apple will show you when they actually make something like it.

This is a suit by Apple to stop Samsung from making a device Apple has yet to make but that doesn't matter, whatever Samsung makes was invented by Apple first...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...nts-apple-says

Brian
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
lopri
Elite Member

Sign of desperation, for sure.
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Lyfer
Diamond Member

In other news I had Crispy duck curry in a marvelous red sauce. It was marvelous with a small bowl of jazmine rice.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
KentState
Diamond Member

My biggest fear is having my GS3 or Note 2 for a year and then it getting gimped. I want the devices in their current state or at least better. This is the one thing that makes a Win8 phone a consideration since the features and functionality should only get better.
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
My biggest fear is having my GS3 or Note 2 for a year and then it getting gimped. I want the devices in their current state or at least better. This is the one thing that makes a Win8 phone a consideration since the features and functionality should only get better.
There is no real way for them to do that after the fact, even if they push out an update that removes features you don't have to install it and naturally no custom rom devs would remove features just because Apple said so.

Puddle Jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
KentState
Diamond Member

Already happened with some features on the S3. The update can be skipped, but there are other fixes or general improvements.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Phokus
Lifer

Boycott Apple. That's the only way they'll learn.
Why racists vote Republican
ATPN has become such a shithole, conservatives even advocate for genocide.
Phokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
senttoschool
Golden Member

Samsung and Google need to man up and create a brand new OS that doesn't copy the UI and apps-centric iOS. Even I can see that Apple came out with a phone and smart phone system that had never been done before and Google just copied it down to the bones.

I respect Microsoft for trying something new with Windows 8 instead of just copying.

Apple is pissed at the Android because it copied nearly every revolutionary thing it did with the original iPhone. Apple doesn't care about rounded edges. They are only using that to sue. Apple thought it was 10 years ahead of the competition. But since Android basically copied everything iOS did well, they only had about 2-3 years lead.

I'm owner of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Windows 7 PC.

Last edited by senttoschool; 11-25-2012 at 04:21 AM.
senttoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
lopri
Elite Member

Oh I am sure Apple is pissed at Google. But it's not suing Google, but instead going after Samsung. Why? Because Apple has copied/will have to have copied Google just as much. That's how f***ed up our patent system is. The moment Apple sues Google, Google will counter with its own and paralyze Apple's sales. Samsung is easier target for Apple to go after, with patently (no pun intended) nonsensical claims.

Besides which, what innovation from Apple? Icons? Rectangles with rounded corners? Page turns?

There is no 2-3 year lead in this industry. (Who wants to buy a 2 year old phone?) And I am not sure where you get information that Apple thought it's 10 years ahead of competition. Is that why it got rid of YouTube and Google Maps from iOS? Only reason Apple is suing is because they're losing, and it's trying to use governmental force (i.e. lawsuits) in order to avoid competitive pressure.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
lopri
Elite Member

Let's have an honest conversation, shall we?

First, take a look at Note 2's page and its specifications/designs.

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

Now, let's go see iPhone 5.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Tell me, which one copied which one? Which specific design/functions were copied from each other? Can someone honestly identify those without searching for patent applications?

You see, we have armies of lawyers residing on a whole floor of every tech company buildings, applying/cross-checking/disputing/negotiating patents 24/7. These lawyers are highly skilled, and U.S. Patent Office is severely understaffed as well as ignorant of latest techs. And the Office also makes money from approving patents, so there is a motivation to grant patents whatever the lawyers say justified. The whole field is a mud fight, a land mine, or a could-be/would-be gold mine, all at the same time. This system not only suppresses innovations but also infringes on free speech right.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senttoschool View Post
Samsung and Google need to man up and create a brand new OS that doesn't copy the UI and apps-centric iOS. Even I can see that Apple came out with a phone and smart phone system that had never been done before and Google just copied it down to the bones.

I respect Microsoft for trying something new with Windows 8 instead of just copying.

Apple is pissed at the Android because it copied nearly every revolutionary thing it did with the original iPhone. Apple doesn't care about rounded edges. They are only using that to sue. Apple thought it was 10 years ahead of the competition. But since Android basically copied everything iOS did well, they only had about 2-3 years lead.
Not sure if you're just really confused about reality or simply trolling.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Oyeve
Lifer

Quote:

Go back to school. You fail at trolling.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Not sure if you're just really confused about reality or simply trolling.
A little of column a, little of column b.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
A little of column a, little of column b.
yup
dguy6789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
Tom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
Oh I am sure Apple is pissed at Google. But it's not suing Google, but instead going after Samsung. Why? Because Apple has copied/will have to have copied Google just as much. That's how f***ed up our patent system is. The moment Apple sues Google, Google will counter with its own and paralyze Apple's sales. Samsung is easier target for Apple to go after, with patently (no pun intended) nonsensical claims.

Besides which, what innovation from Apple? Icons? Rectangles with rounded corners? Page turns?

There is no 2-3 year lead in this industry. (Who wants to buy a 2 year old phone?) And I am not sure where you get information that Apple thought it's 10 years ahead of competition. Is that why it got rid of YouTube and Google Maps from iOS? Only reason Apple is suing is because they're losing, and it's trying to use governmental force (i.e. lawsuits) in order to avoid competitive pressure.
I suspect the real reason they sue Samsung is Samsung is trying to make money by copying Apple's products.

Its less clear to me that Google makes money directly from Android.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Phokus
Lifer

Quote:

Yeah when i look at jellybean, i think, 'man, that looks so much like ios'. You idiot.

Let's refrain from the personal attacks, shall we?

Moderator TheStu
Why racists vote Republican
ATPN has become such a shithole, conservatives even advocate for genocide.

Last edited by TheStu; 11-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Phokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
TerryMathews
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
Let's have an honest conversation, shall we?

First, take a look at Note 2's page and its specifications/designs.

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

Now, let's go see iPhone 5.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Tell me, which one copied which one? Which specific design/functions were copied from each other? Can someone honestly identify those without searching for patent applications?

You see, we have armies of lawyers residing on a whole floor of every tech company buildings, applying/cross-checking/disputing/negotiating patents 24/7. These lawyers are highly skilled, and U.S. Patent Office is severely understaffed as well as ignorant of latest techs. And the Office also makes money from approving patents, so there is a motivation to grant patents whatever the lawyers say justified. The whole field is a mud fight, a land mine, or a could-be/would-be gold mine, all at the same time. This system not only suppresses innovations but also infringes on free speech right.
On the Note 2, the Newton patents are probably as relevant as the iphone ones.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMathews View Post
On the Note 2, the Newton patents are probably as relevant as the iphone ones.
lulwut?

People have been making devices with a stylus for decades. All of a sudden Samsung infringes on Apple's patents? I don't buy that at all.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
TerryMathews
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodell88 View Post
lulwut?

People have been making devices with a stylus for decades. All of a sudden Samsung infringes on Apple's patents? I don't buy that at all.
I was thinking more about S Note and the freeform handwriting translation.

I am using a Note 2 right now and I used several versions of the Newton including the MP2100.

Edit: http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...c-we-can-help/ here is a recent case in favor of Apple citing Newton-era patents.

Last edited by TerryMathews; 11-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
badb0y
Diamond Member

Eagerly awaiting your new thread titled "It's official -- iPhone 5 infringes says Samsung."
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
Zink

I'd make the new thread but some patent troll already got rights to "electronic communication using text" and we're all infringing so I'm keeping a low profile.
Zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
rstove02

The modern definition of infringing:
A customer buys a competing product.
rstove02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Apple saying the Note 2 is essentially the same as an iPhone, except it has a more powerful processor, larger & better screen, an s-pen, sdcard for expansion, better apps (such as a map app that works, lol), and standardized connectors.

I think Samsung should pay Apple for this sort of advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyeve View Post
Go back to school. You fail at trolling.
You guys really don't understand trolling. The purpose of trolling is to make people so upset that they respond. If you think he is a troll and you respond, he didn't fail, he succeeded. A fail troll is an ignored post.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
Apple saying the Note 2 is essentially the same as an iPhone, except it has a more powerful processor, larger & better screen, an s-pen, sdcard for expansion, better apps (such as a map app that works, lol), and standardized connectors.
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3206...apple-iphone-5

People aren't giving the A6 much credit.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #25
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3206...apple-iphone-5

People aren't giving the A6 much credit.
It's a quad core. It loses because those benchmarks don't use more than 2 threads (do they even use more than one thread?) but in an absolute sense the Note 2's processor is more powerful, even if it doesn't show in every benchmark.