Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #551
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
First of all, there are many many objects whizzing around us that are big enough to wipe us all out and a TON more that will only mess up a city or a continent. We have been hit before and we will be hit again.
And this is a counterpoint... how?

I agreed with you on this, the only difference is that I said that I don't know if any planet killers will hit us ... I have no doubt they're out there. I said that -- you said that.

Seriously, are you reading my reply or trying to disagree with everything I say?


Quote:
Whats funny is this order you speak of came from disorder. It wasn't always as "orderly" as it is now. The way our very own planet and sun formed was in fact disorderly.
So what? The point is that we agree it's orderly -- which is the entire crux of my argument. The source of that "order" is what we differ on. You say it came from disorder, I disagree.

I can't reconcile order coming from disorder. It doesn't makes sence.


Quote:
You know, I can't blame you a whole lot for invoking "intelligent design" on the "order of orbits". Isaac Newton, who is arguably the absolute smartest man in ALL of recorded history, invoked intelligent design on the exact same thing because he had reached the limit of his knowledge. Of all the amazing things that he discovered he had never once invoked "god" but when he reached the limit of his current knowledge he basically said that "its too complicated (for him) and so god must have done it". Therein lies the danger of thought like that, and yours. Newton invented freaking calculus in a few months. Perturbation theory, which solved what he invoked "god" about, is something he should have been able to knock out in a friggen weekend compared to discovering calculus. Yet he never did, why because he stopped trying once he decided that it was to complicated so it must be purely the power of god. If the smartest man to ever live did it, I guess I can't blame you much (other than the fact that we know much better now).
I don't use God to "fill in the blanks". I've always believed that God created us and the universe. This wasn't something I invoked to explain what I can't explain.

I apply common sence to stuff like this sometimes. I come home from work, I see a clean home, nice dinner, closet organized (yes, my wife is VERY GOOD at stuff like this), and I automatically know she did it. Not because she's there... but becasue I know someone had to do it. If I left my home in chaos before leaving for work, if she doesn't organize it, it won't be organized when I get home.



Quote:
It was the Tunguska Event and a relatively small comet caused the damage of 1,000 hiroshima nuclear bombs.



Then its not very orderly is it?
I will read more into that.





Quote:
Absolutely, my issue is that while I might not have faith in your biblical light but that doesn't mean that you should reject science. Science literacy is absurdly important and entire cultures have literally went from the top to the bottom because religion said science went against their beliefs. Islam used to be the absolute worldwide CENTER of our knowledge. Thats why we use what are called "Arabic numerals", that is why most of the named stars have arabic names. The discoveries they made are endless but you know what happened? Along came some religious asshole who said that math and science were the work of the devil and BAM. That was the end of Islams "golden era", roughly 1100AD, AND TO THIS DAY THEY HAVE NOT RECOVERED. That is the danger of your way of thinking and that is why I constantly debate what is in all likelihood a debate that will end in stalemate.
true, but we end up at stalemates becasue you guys tend to lump religion in with religion, which simply is asinine.

Islam doesn't define religion or all religious people. Not anywhere near. Religous people are biologists, computer programmers, chemist... etc and believe in an Intelligent Designer.

It's not like scientists can't have a religion and visa-versa.


Quote:
Science answers "why" questions all the time. Exactly which "why" are you referring to?

You should really watch this video. Perhaps someone smarter than I can open your eyes just a slight bit more.
well, I asked someone in another thread (don't remember who) about why did we evolve (as a rebuttal to a question about why God causes ABC or whatever), and all he said was "**** happens, science is only concerned with hows".

I just took his word for it, but now I see it's misinformation.

Last edited by Retro Rob; 11-24-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #552
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
It's the violation of God's will for man.
About God's will.....


Quote:
you have all the information you need.

Read Genesis chapt 3, or shut up. Please. thanks.
I have actually read the bible, cover to cover, multiple times. I admit that I had to go look up Genesis chapter 3 as I have obviously not memorized it but lets discuss it. In particular, I would like to discuss this:

Quote:
16 To the woman he said,
I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.

Do you agree with that? Do you agree that a wife is quite literally owned and ruled by her husband? That she must do as he commands? Do you agree that a wife has no free will because she is ruled, as sayeth the Lord, by her husband?


I can go a lot further than that but for the time, and I do hope you are currently watching the video that I posted, we can stick with the above.
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #553
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
About God's will.....




I have actually read the bible, cover to cover, multiple times. I admit that I had to go look up Genesis chapter 3 as I have obviously not memorized it but lets discuss it. In particular, I would like to discuss this:




Do you agree with that? Do you agree that a wife is quite literally owned and ruled by her husband? That she must do as he commands? Do you agree that a wife has no free will because she is ruled, as sayeth the Lord, by her husband?


I can go a lot further than that but for the time, and I do hope you are currently watching the video that I posted, we can stick with the above.
... sure, if you're seriouly interested.... but not in this thread. Way off topic.

You can PM me... if you want.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #554
randomrogue
Diamond Member
 
randomrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,462
Default

I don't understand how someone like RobM can be dense, ignorant, unintelligent, and uneducated. How can you possibly get so unlucky as to be dealt that hand? Were you left in the woods and raised by wolves?

Seriously you're making a complete fool out of yourself. I really hope you haven't used your own name anywhere since if I was your employer and found this you'd be out a job. I wouldn't trust you to make any kind of intelligent decision.

What you're written in this thread is embarrassing. You should be ashamed of yourself.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #555
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Darwin,

The Bible isn't a book that you read from cover to cover and close while expecting to understand it.

It covers a really long time and doesn't give you every bit of information on every subject.

THere are other scriptures covering the husband/wife arrangement to help you come to a better conclusion than the one you're coming to.

Use others to compare, then draw your own conclusion....

Last edited by Retro Rob; 11-24-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #556
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
I don't understand how someone like RobM can be dense, ignorant, unintelligent, and uneducated. How can you possibly get so unlucky as to be dealt that hand? Were you left in the woods and raised by wolves?

Seriously you're making a complete fool out of yourself. I really hope you haven't used your own name anywhere since if I was your employer and found this you'd be out a job. I wouldn't trust you to make any kind of intelligent decision.

What you're written in this thread is embarrassing. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I ain't gonna lie, I even has a little giggle at this...
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #557
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
And this is a counterpoint... how?

I agreed with you on this, the only difference is that I said that I don't know if any planet killers will hit us ... I have no doubt they're out there. I said that -- you said that.
MY point is very simple, what kind of "orderly system" would have such things if created by an intelligent designer? Why would he purposely introduce such flaws as something that could potentially wipe out parts or our entire planet with (up until now) not even a chance of warning?

Quote:
Seriously, are you reading my reply or trying to disagree with everything I say?
Not at all, I apologize if my point wasn't as clear as it could have been.

Quote:
So what? The point is that we agree it's orderly -- which is the entire crux of my argument. The source of that "order" is what we differ on. You say it came from disorder, I disagree.

I can't reconcile order coming from disorder. It doesn't makes sence.
Order can and does come from disorder. Before there were even planets it was just a cloud of gas that started clumping together. It was all very disorderly while it clumped together and started to form mini planets, some of which did "run into" each other to form larger bodies. The most current theory on our very own moon says that something HUGE (as in planet huge) impacted us and the moon "broke off". The ununiform distribution of matter throughout the universe, the fact that eventually our galaxy will collide with Andromeda, the fact that our sun has solar flares at all. That is a very disorderly system which is almost impossible for us to predict in any real way. An orderly system should be easy to predict yet we have no idea when the next hurricane, earthquake, tornado, solar flare, meteor strike, etc... will happen. That goes against the very nature of an "orderly" system does it not?
Quote:
I don't use God to "fill in the blanks". I've always believed that God created us and the universe. This wasn't something I invoked to explain what I can't explain.
Ah but it is. You did so in this very post when you said "I can't reconcile order coming from disorder. It doesn't makes sence."

You implied that god must have made it just so because you can't make sense of it. You reached the limit of your own knowledge and basically said "since I can't figure it out it must be god".


Quote:
I apply common sence to stuff like this sometimes. I come home from work, I see a clean home, nice dinner, closet organized (yes, my wife is VERY GOOD at stuff like this), and I automatically know she did it. Not because she's there... but becasue I know someone had to do it. If I left my home in chaos before leaving for work, if she doesn't organize it, it won't be organized when I get home.
Of course, we have used the same "common sense" for all of recorded history. Since the sun rose today it MUST because of Zeus rode across the sky and his chariot turned night into day. There was simply no other explanation that made "sense" to anyone but it sure didn't make them right. I guess that is my point, one needs to have an open mind and I do not believe that you do. You flatly reject all of which goes against what you were taught from a centuries old book written by man.

Quote:
I will read more into that.
Pretty interesting read. I originally learned of it because one of my favorite people, Nikola Tesla, was rumored to be responsible for it with his "death ray". Tesla was one of the most brilliant people of the modern world but is sadly overlooked in the history books.

Quote:
true, but we end up at stalemates becasue you guys tend to lump religion in with religion, which simply is asinine.

Islam doesn't define religion or all religious people. Not anywhere near. Religous people are biologists, computer programmers, chemist... etc and believe in an Intelligent Designer.
We do that because we see similarities. You literally can not have modern biology and medicine without evolution. If what you believed was what the majority of the world believed we would have lost so much progress that its unimaginable. Even worse is, how much progress did we lose that we can never regain because someone kept such a closed mind such as yours? Islam did basically what you are doing, they stuck their fingers in their ears and screamed "na na na na" to any and all rationale thoughts and ideas because it went against what their religion taught them. I have no issue with your religion at all.

Consider this, if you have a child and convince him to believe as you do that he will never have the opportunity to become a medical doctor. Why? Because he won't be able to pass biology 101. Consider if he truly had one of the great minds but was never able to develop it because he was taught that the world works in a way that it does not. Consider even further, do you truly think that you would believe what you currently do if you were born in Asia or the middle east? Of course you wouldn't, and the reason for that is you were taught from a very young age to have the faith you do. Let that roll around in your head for a bit, this is true for almost every single religious person on the earth (there are few exceptions and if you are one I apologize), they did not "gain" faith they were quite literally taught to have faith from a very young age. Such a thing is trivially easy to do when dealing with children.

I do not wish to argue that your faith is wrong, nor do I wish to argue that the majority of the people on this Earth whose faith differs from yours is wrong, I simply wish that you and people like you would stop making mistakes that have historically had catastrophic impacts to the "faith" that made them.

Quote:
It's not like scientists can't have a religion and visa-versa.
They absolutely can as long as they actually trust in and use the scientific method, something that you have so far refused to do.

Quote:
well, I asked someone in another thread (don't remember who) about why did we evolve (as a rebuttal to a question about why God causes ABC or whatever), and all he said was "**** happens, science is only concerned with hows".

I just took his word for it, but now I see it's misinformation.
We evolve for various reasons. It is NOT and never has been because "shit happens". If you truly want an answer to that question I will be happy to provide it, or at least our current understanding of it.
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon

Last edited by Darwin333; 11-24-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #558
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
Darwin,

The Bible isn't a book that you read from cover to cover and close while expecting to understand it.

It covers a really long time and doesn't give you every bit of information on every subject.

THere are other scriptures covering the husband/wife arrangement to help you come to a better conclusion than the one you're coming to.

Use others to compare, then draw your own conclusion....
Is the passage I quoted not the word of God?
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #559
stormkroe
Senior Member
 
stormkroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
Thats ok, take your $30 canadian and donate it to the Hayden Planetarium under the name of "Darwin". I am sure they can figure out how to spend it
BOOM $30.00



__________________
Sometimes I look for a comments section about the comments section...
stormkroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #560
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
MY point is very simple, what kind of "orderly system" would have such things if created by an intelligent designer? Why would he purposely introduce such flaws as something that could potentially wipe out parts or our entire planet with (up until now) not even a chance of warning?
I don't know... and am not afraid to say that. Since we're still here and the earth hasn't been detroyed, I figure that those flaws aren't really flaws. . especially seeing how we have a couple of natual "vaccums" out there to take care of the big stuff.

Before we had modern man-made warning systems (telescopes etc) this earth hasn't been hit with a planet destroyer (note: one that would destroy the planet as a whole.. not just the life on it) I guess it's working fine for now.


Quote:
Order can and does come from disorder. Before there were even planets it was just a cloud of gas that started clumping together. It was all very disorderly while it clumped together and started to form mini planets, some of which did "run into" each other to form larger bodies. The most current theory on our very own moon says that something HUGE (as in planet huge) impacted us and the moon "broke off". The ununiform distribution of matter throughout the universe, the fact that eventually our galaxy will collide with Andromeda, the fact that our sun has solar flares at all. That is a very disorderly system which is almost impossible for us to predict in any real way. An orderly system should be easy to predict yet we have no idea when the next hurricane, earthquake, tornado, solar flare, meteor strike, etc... will happen. That goes against the very nature of an "orderly" system does it not?
As far as the universe coming to be is concerned, we will just have to move on from that. We have two separate... shall I say "conclusions".


As far as the earthqukes etc, I will have to look more into and present you with what I find. I can't answer that off he top.

Quote:
Ah but it is. You did so in this very post when you said "I can't reconcile order coming from disorder. It doesn't makes sence."

You implied that god must have made it just so because you can't make sense of it. You reached the limit of your own knowledge and basically said "since I can't figure it out it must be god".
No, I didn't.

Let me give you an example. Take a traffic light. It's timed to change at certain timed intervals and even cease to operate (depending on the time of night and location in my city anyway). In other words, it's there for a purpose,.. to regulate traffic, and functions as such.

I KNOW someone made that without having to be told, or seeing a crew installing it.

I looked into the sky as a young boy, marveled at what I saw, and naturally concluded "gee, that's nice.... I wonder who made that". All the stars and stuff peaked my interest.


Granted, I didn't know about the Big Bang then, but I just didn't think that stuff wasn't created by someone.

I read about evolution as a youngster, and I honestly thought that it was the stupidest thing I heard was that we came from monkeys (depicted in many science text books at the time).

Not believing in God has never been an option I considered. Never.



This, and other experiences, attracted me to a designer.




Quote:
Of course, we have used the same "common sense" for all of recorded history. Since the sun rose today it MUST because of Zeus rode across the sky and his chariot turned light into day. There was simply no other explanation that made "sense" to anyone but it sure didn't make them right. I guess that is my point, one needs to have an open mind and I do not believe that you do. You flatly reject all of which goes against what you were taught from a centuries old book written by man.
Ok, well, I can't change your view and won't try to.





Quote:
We do that because we see similarities. You literally can not have modern biology and medicine without evolution. If what you believed was what the majority of the world believed we would have lost so much progress that its unimaginable. Even worse is, how much progress did we lose that we can never regain because someone kept such a closed mind such as yours? Islam did basically what you are doing, they stuck their fingers in their ears and screamed "na na na na" to any and all rationale thoughts and ideas because it went against what their religion taught them. I have no issue with your religion at all.
Ok man... I have a closed mind...


Quote:
Consider this, if you have a child and convince him to believe as you do that he will never have the opportunity to become a medical doctor. Why? Because he won't be able to pass biology 101. Consider if he truly had one of the great minds but was never able to develop it because he was taught that the world works in a way that it does not. Consider even further, do you truly think that you would believe what you currently do if you were born in Asia or the middle east? Of course you wouldn't, and the reason for that is you were taught from a very young age to have the faith you do. Let that roll around in your head for a bit, this is true for almost every single religious person on the earth (there are few exceptions and if you are one I apologize), they did not "gain" faith they were quite literally taught to have faith from a very young age. Such a thing is trivially easy to do when dealing with children.
Speculation.

Non-religious folks and Atheist make up a good part of the stupid poplulation, as well. If that's not the case, every non-religious/atheists person should be biologists, chemists, or any natual/evolutionary scienctists.

The ignorant thing about what you're saying is that it's somehow a crime against humanity to raise your children in religious faith. Who are you to judge parents for doing that, or regulate what parents do with their kids?

Like I've said before... you need to keep a balanced view with science. It aint the cure all for mankind's ills... especially seeing the amount of fear that's around to due nuclear capabilites because of evil scientists and murdering terrorists.

The misuse of science and technology can kill more easily and more wide-spread than it could in any era nowadays.

I don't think you can blame religion for that....

Last edited by Retro Rob; 11-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #561
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
Is the passage I quoted not the word of God?
You want to go off-topic about that, PM me...

unless (as I am correctly suspecting) your whole point isn't to engage in mature discussion, but to bring something up that you and others can ridicule...
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #562
JD50
Lifer
 
JD50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,325
Default

It's funny to watch creationists cherry pick which scientific facts they want to believe, then get all bent out of shape when others cherry pick certain parts of the bible.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
This game will not be close. The Broncos are going to obliterate the Ravens. If any of you have misgiving's of the opposite happening, I can promise you your football knowledge is infinitely inferior to mine, regardless of my bias.
Baltimore 38
Denver 35
JD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #563
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD50 View Post
It's funny to watch creationists cherry pick which scientific facts they want to believe, then get all bent out of shape when others cherry pick certain parts of the bible.
So I'd say they're dead even....
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #564
JD50
Lifer
 
JD50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
So I'd say they're dead even....
Nope.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
This game will not be close. The Broncos are going to obliterate the Ravens. If any of you have misgiving's of the opposite happening, I can promise you your football knowledge is infinitely inferior to mine, regardless of my bias.
Baltimore 38
Denver 35
JD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #565
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkroe View Post
BOOM $30.00




Outstanding!! A man of your word and you did some good for all mankind (at least in my humble opinion).

You sir, are a good man. If you ever need anything that I can help with please do not hesitate to ask.
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #566
Lonbjerg
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkroe View Post
BOOM $30.00




Thumbs up...an honest man...more than you can say about others in this thread...kudos!
Lonbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #567
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
Outstanding!! A man of your word and you did some good for all mankind (at least in my humble opinion).

You sir, are a good man. If you ever need anything that I can help with please do not hesitate to ask.
I didn't expect you to address my post (particularly about stupid scientists) but you insinuate that I'm the dishonest.

I've never known a person to create an underwear bomb using a bible and a religious doctrine, or a group of Christians meet in a church devising a way to introduce their new GBU (smart bomb) to a country they hate, or religionists purify unranium or create the "Manhattan Project".

To deny this is to deny reality. As mention by Darwin, without evolution, we simply wouldn't have a nuclear age.

I agree.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #568
Lonbjerg
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
I didn't expect you to address my post (particularly about stupid scientists) but you insinuate that I'm the dishonest.

I've never known a person to create an underwear bomb using a bible and a religious doctrine, or a group of Christians meet in a church devising a way to introduce their new GBU (smart bomb) to a country they hate, or religionists purify unranium or create the "Manhattan Project".

To deny this is to deny reality. As mention by Darwin, without evolution, we simply wouldn't have a nuclear age.

I agree.
You never stop your dishonesty do you?
Lonbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #569
randomrogue
Diamond Member
 
randomrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,462
Default

On the flip side I do know that Religion has been the cause of wars that lead to the death of 1%-2% of the world's population.

That's the equivalent of a war today with 100,000,000 deaths.

Religion has lead to so much pain and suffering and continues to do so. You really picked a stupid point to make since there is nothing that even comes close to the scale of the problems that religion has caused.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #570
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
On the flip side I do know that Religion has been the cause of wars that lead to the death of 1%-2% of the world's population.

That's the equivalent of a war today with 100,000,000 deaths.

Religion has lead to so much pain and suffering and continues to do so. You really picked a stupid point to make since there is nothing that even comes close to the scale of the problems that religion has caused.
Not including the two World Wars, one of which claimed about 140,000,000? Those were not religious wars, though religion sure as heck participate.

Edit: I meant to say 40,000,000. My bad

Last edited by Retro Rob; 11-25-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #571
randomrogue
Diamond Member
 
randomrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
Not including the two World Wars, one of which claimed about 140,000,000? Those were not religious wars, though religion sure as heck participate.

Edit: I meant to say 40,000,000. My bad
I didn't even mention the world wars.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #572
Lonbjerg
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
I didn't even mention the world wars.
Hitler considered his war against USSR as a holy christan war against the russian barbarians...but then again...Rob M will either claim he didn't know facts (and continue to ignore them)...or he will lie...again, again, again.....he is all that i despise about religious muppets.
Lonbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #573
alzan
Diamond Member
 
alzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Third planet in our solar system
Posts: 3,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
I don't know... and am not afraid to say that. Since we're still here and the earth hasn't been detroyed, I figure that those flaws aren't really flaws. . especially seeing how we have a couple of natual "vaccums" out there to take care of the big stuff.

A couple of natural "vacuums"? Jupiter and Saturn Jupiter and Saturn both have moons, Jupiter has a whole crapload of them in fact compared to the other planets. How is it that Jupiter's and Saturn's moons avoid getting sucked into the "natural vacuums"?

Before we had modern man-made warning systems (telescopes etc) this earth hasn't been hit with a planet destroyer (note: one that would destroy the planet as a whole.. not just the life on it) I guess it's working fine for now.

As far as the universe coming to be is concerned, we will just have to move on from that. We have two separate... shall I say "conclusions".


As far as the earthqukes etc, I will have to look more into and present you with what I find. I can't answer that off he top.



No, I didn't.

Let me give you an example. Take a traffic light. It's timed to change at certain timed intervals and even cease to operate (depending on the time of night and location in my city anyway). In other words, it's there for a purpose,.. to regulate traffic, and functions as such.

I KNOW someone made that without having to be told, or seeing a crew installing it.

I looked into the sky as a young boy, marveled at what I saw, and naturally concluded "gee, that's nice.... I wonder who made that". All the stars and stuff peaked my interest.


Granted, I didn't know about the Big Bang then, but I just didn't think that stuff wasn't created by someone.

I read about evolution as a youngster, and I honestly thought that it was the stupidest thing I heard was that we came from monkeys (depicted in many science text books at the time).

I guess the books have changed since I was in school (~40 years), I was never taught that we came from monkeys but that we shared a common ancestor. Was that what the books said, what the teacher taught you or how you interpreted it?

Not believing in God has never been an option I considered. Never.

This, and other experiences, attracted me to a designer.

Ok, well, I can't change your view and won't try to.

Ok man... I have a closed mind...

Speculation.

Non-religious folks and Atheist make up a good part of the stupid poplulation, as well. If that's not the case, every non-religious/atheists person should be biologists, chemists, or any natual/evolutionary scienctists.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make.

The ignorant thing about what you're saying is that it's somehow a crime against humanity to raise your children in religious faith. Who are you to judge parents for doing that, or regulate what parents do with their kids?

It's more of a crime against the child, not humanity. Let you children learn the basics, learn how to learn. When they're mature enough, tell them of spirituality and faith. Let them know your experiences, bad and good. Let them experience other religions as well. The more informed they are the more informed decision they'll make.

I don't think he was judging parents. And government, for the sake of society, already regulates what parents do to their kids (to an extent).


Like I've said before... you need to keep a balanced view with science. It aint the cure all for mankind's ills... especially seeing the amount of fear that's around to due nuclear capabilites because of evil scientists and murdering terrorists.

The misuse of science and technology can kill more easily and more wide-spread than it could in any era nowadays.

I don't think you can blame religion for that....
As well you need to keep a balanced view with religion. It's not the cure all for mankinds ills. And concerning nuclear weapons I'm actually a lot more worried about governmental officials in this country and others than I am about "evil" scientists and murdering terrorists.

The misuse of religion and religious faith can indoctrinate more easily and more widespread than it could in previous eras.

I don't think you can blame science for that...
__________________
"My doctor informs me that I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving the Universe." - Douglas Adams

Quitters always lose.

Last edited by alzan; 11-25-2012 at 10:20 AM.
alzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #574
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
A couple of natural "vacuums"? Jupiter and Saturn Jupiter and Saturn both have moons, Jupiter has a whole crapload of them in fact compared to the other planets. How is it that Jupiter's and Saturn's moons avoid getting sucked into the "natural vacuums"?


Don't take my word for it. Look at the "Impacts" section. Some of this is debated, though.

"Jupiter has been called the Solar System's vacuum cleaner,[114] because of its immense gravity well and location near the inner Solar System. It receives the most frequent comet impacts of the Solar System's planets"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter

Quote:
guess the books have changed since I was in school (~40 years), I was never taught that we came from monkeys but that we shared a common ancestor. Was that what the books said, what the teacher taught you or how you interpreted it?
They indeed have changed. I didn't say I believe that NOW.. just the way it was presented to me then.

Quote:
It's more of a crime against the child, not humanity. Let you children learn the basics, learn how to learn. When they're mature enough, tell them of spirituality and faith. Let them know your experiences, bad and good. Let them experience other religions as well. The more informed they are the more informed decision they'll make.
I am not in the business to, again, tell parents how to teach their children, when to teach them, what to teach them, how to teach them... you are.

It's YOUR OPINION that's it's a crime against the child... YOUR OPINION.

Let me tell you this, Al... go and tell a religious parent that teaching their child their faith is more of a crime against the child and see how well that goes for you.

It seems to me that you're assuming that all mature adults would NOT choose religion. I guess you're either blind or in utter denial if you believe any of that.

If you're interested, I was raised in a religious home reading the Bible, and decided to leave when I became an adult becasue I really has no interest in it. It wasn't that I didn't agree with what I was learning (because I did), just wanted to do something else with my life.

My home was peaceful, and when I saw the world in general and all the stupid and selfish people, I missed what I learned growing up. So I picked up where I left off as a child, been strong and better off ever since.

When the Bible is read and properly applied, it has added a peace that I've never experienced without it.

Quote:
As well you need to keep a balanced view with religion. It's not the cure all for mankinds ills. And concerning nuclear weapons I'm actually a lot more worried about governmental officials in this country and others than I am about "evil" scientists and murdering terrorists.

The misuse of religion and religious faith can indoctrinate more easily and more widespread than it could in previous eras.

I don't think you can blame science for that
You can only blame misuse of science on the people misusing it, and the misuse of religion on the people misusing it.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #575
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,430
Default

I think people are overly concerned about this.
Its Louisiana. How many of them can actually read?
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.