Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
donfm

Default New hybrid drives for laptops question.

Seems there is now something called a hybrid hard drive for laptops that consists of a hard drive paired with some SSD memory. This hardware is new to me. My question is do these new laptops have a hard drive connection in addition to a separate SSD drive connection or is this all one single drive unit that plugs into the hard drive connector? Thanks for your help.

Truly smart people don't have to advertise......people will just know....
donfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
corkyg
Peripherals

What you are heAring about are the Seagate Momentus XT series. The are 2.5-in formfactor drives, 9.5mm thick, and come in several sizes. The can replace regular HDDs in most laptops. Some of the newest, however, will only take 7mm thick drives - that is what many of the top SSDs are.

There is an enormous amount of traffic in the Anandtech forum that you can access so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I have used 6 of these hybrids with great success.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
donfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
What you are heAring about are the Seagate Momentus XT series. The are 2.5-in formfactor drives, 9.5mm thick, and come in several sizes. The can replace regular HDDs in most laptops. Some of the newest, however, will only take 7mm thick drives - that is what many of the top SSDs are.

There is an enormous amount of traffic in the Anandtech forum that you can access so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I have used 6 of these hybrids with great success.
Thanks for the response. So from your answer I'm guessing there is still only one hard drive connection and these are not separate hard drive and SSD drive sockets as I asked.

I assume by your "wheel" comment you were sarcastically inferring I should have researched this before I asked my question. Well from reading all the rest of the posts here it appears nobody is using the search function. But now I feel very special. Thank you.

Truly smart people don't have to advertise......people will just know....
donfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
T_Yamamoto
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfm View Post
Thanks for the response. So from your answer I'm guessing there is still only one hard drive connection and these are not separate hard drive and SSD drive sockets as I asked.

I assume by your "wheel" comment you were sarcastically inferring I should have researched this before I asked my question. Well from reading all the rest of the posts here it appears nobody is using the search function. But now I feel very special. Thank you.
They are in one package with one connection. The SSD is used for cache.

Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4278U 2.6Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 128gb SSD
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
corkyg
Peripherals

Current laptop HDD and SSD connections are SATA. Laptops often use a cage or caddy in which to mount the drive, whether HDD or SSD. Both have the same SATA connectors.

Sorry, I was not trying to be sarcastic about reinventing the wheel. I have written at least 6 messages on hybrid HDDs. Just do a search for Momentus XT in the Memory and Storage Forum.

http://forums.anandtech.com/search.php?searchid=740926

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola

Last edited by corkyg; 11-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
sciencewhiz
Diamond Member

You'll need to do research on particular laptop models. Some models use a normal SATA hard drive, and soldered on SSD (Like Asus XU32VD). Other models use a normal SATA hard drive and a mSATA SSD (like the Lenovo x230). Others use the Seagate Momentus XT which have both the hard drive and SSD cache in the same SATA drive.

My Karma ran over your Dogma
sciencewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Blain
Lifer

Unless you must have the additional capacity, I'd simply upgrade to a SSD for a laptop.
The Seagate hybrid Momentus XT drives (250GB, 500GB and the slightly better 750GB), aren't night and day different than other 7200rpm 2.5" spinning platter drives.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
tnt118

My laptop offers the mSSD combination, something I hadn't heard of before I got it. However I decided I'd rather just replace the regular drive with a 240gb SSD and not mess with it.
tnt118 is offline   Reply With Quote