· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Kosaka

Default any Vita game recommendation?

I finally got convinced to buy vita and now thinking of getting games other than
-dokuro
-ragnarok oddysey
-AC3
-DJ MAx Technika

Any other recommendation for me?
Kosaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
zerocool84
Lifer

Uncharted
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Kosaka

yeah that one is cool. Im wondering if vita games would go on sale or something?
Kosaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosaka View Post
yeah that one is cool. Im wondering if vita games would go on sale or something?
The system itself has been on sale, but outside of the occasional Amazon deal I haven't seen any game sales.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

If you didn't already play Persona 4 on the PS2, the Vita version includes everything from it . . . "and more!"

(Unlike the PSP Persona 3 port that cut out a bunch of the animations)
DaveSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
cmdrdredd
Lifer

BlazBlue is a good 2D fighter. PS Allstars Battle Royale is good too. I really like Little Big Planet and Wipeout as well. Rayman is a great platformer. I also had a good time playing Escape Plan (available on PSN).
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Rayman is a great platformer.
Rayman on the Vita may be a port of a console game, but by god it's probably the best non-Nintendo platformer to come out in the last decade. Plus it's just about a perfect port.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Ashenor
Golden Member

I have never played any Persona's before. Playing it now, takes a bit to get through the intro, but is fun so far.
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Todd33
Diamond Member

Buy PS+ and get the five free games, three of which are highly rated retail games.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
fr
Diamond Member

Do PS+ games download to the Vita memory card? How much space do I need?
fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr View Post
Yes. And you need as much space as each game takes up, which is anywhere between a few hundred MB to a couple of GB per game.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Todd33
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr View Post
Depends on the game. There are wikis out there with the sizes.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Rayman
Little Big Planet
Mutant Blobs Attack (PS Store)
Rayman
Zen Pinball 2 (PS Store)
Rayman

(Rayman)
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member

Hot Shots Gold
Disgaea 3
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

If you like RPG's there are lots of good ones
GarfieldtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
Yes. And you need as much space as each game takes up, which is anywhere between a few hundred MB to a couple of GB per game.
That's the fatal flaw of the Vita right there. Games are big and the storage cards cost more than the games themselves. Even though the digital versions are cheaper, you really save no money when you think about it.

Top games? Mutant Blob and Rayman are the best on the system. Wipeout 2048 is a decent enough racer, if lacking in originality. Gravity Rush is decent though I can find it's controls disorienting at times.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Randum
Platinum Member

Gravity Rush is really cool.
Most Wanted is pretty fun as well IF You dont own it on a bigger console.
Wipeout is a must buy
Asus P9X79 Pro
Randum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Aikouka
Lifer

I've been tempted by the praise that people have been heaping on Persona 4, but I'd like to play a demo of it first. I checked the other day, and there wasn't a demo in the PSN Store. Does anyone know if there will eventually be one?
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
That's the fatal flaw of the Vita right there. Games are big and the storage cards cost more than the games themselves. Even though the digital versions are cheaper, you really save no money when you think about it.

Top games? Mutant Blob and Rayman are the best on the system. Wipeout 2048 is a decent enough racer, if lacking in originality. Gravity Rush is decent though I can find it's controls disorienting at times.
Digital versions cheaper? Not from what I've seen. The retail copies drop in price quickly and many are cheaper than the current digital prices.
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
Randum
Platinum Member

The memory cards are absurdly expensive, if you can buy a physical copy, just go that route...if Sony dropped those prices, I would be more inclined to buy games digitally but you buy a couple games and you are full on a 16gb card....

With that being said I do have an extra 8gb card I swapped for a 16, so if anyone wants another 8GB card, let me know.
Asus P9X79 Pro
Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
Digital versions cheaper? Not from what I've seen. The retail copies drop in price quickly and many are cheaper than the current digital prices.
At MSRP it would be cheaper. Most Vita games are released at $39.99, which is $34.99 if purchased through PSN (thanks to the fact that ROMs are moderately expensive to produce). Now of course the only way games go on sale on PSN is if Sony holds a sale, a far less frequent occurrence than retailers marking down inventory they wish to be rid of.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Randum
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
At MSRP it would be cheaper. Most Vita games are released at $39.99, which is $34.99 if purchased through PSN (thanks to the fact that ROMs are moderately expensive to produce). Now of course the only way games go on sale on PSN is if Sony holds a sale, a far less frequent occurrence than retailers marking down inventory they wish to be rid of.
ROMs are expensive to produce? Is that sarcasm or are you serious? Can you enlighten us, I had no idea making a ROM was an expensive process if the game was already created.

On a side note the benefits of the $50/year PS plus gives you a handful of games to download which can pay for itself if the games end up being something you would have otherwised purchased. And no they are not FREE - you get them when you PAY for the subscription! (hate when they post that on the store...)
Asus P9X79 Pro
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randum View Post
ROMs are expensive to produce? Is that sarcasm or are you serious? Can you enlighten us, I had no idea making a ROM was an expensive process if the game was already created.
For consoles, discs (even BDs) are stupidly cheap to produce. You just stamp polycarbonate and call it a day, with the total cost being being measured in how many discs you can get per dollar (estimates range from $0.05 to $0.25 per disc).

But ROMs are solid state devices and as such require a full silicon lithography treatment. So not only is the per-unit cost higher due to the complexity of the process and the materials required (polished wafers get expensive), but there are costs involving creating the mask, slicing up wafers, and packaging/testing. Mask ROMs are very high density (better than even Flash) so the resulting chips aren't all that huge, but with current PS Vita games going up to 4GB, it's quite a bit more expensive than a piece of polycarbonate. Adding insult to injury, the costs go down the more you produce, so weak Vita sales are kind of their own worst enemy here.

The estimates I've seen put the price of manufacturing a Vita cartridge at up to $3 or so, but there's no way to verify that since ROM manufacturers don't publicaly list their prices.

Last edited by ViRGE; 11-26-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
Aikouka
Lifer

I wonder if he thought you meant rom as in the term used in emulation (meaning distributing the game's image was expensive) not the Read-Only Memory. Although, I thought that games can write to the Vita cartridges? At least according to the Wikipedia page, that appears to be the case.

Quote:
Some media applications and games require a proprietary PlayStation Vita memory card inserted to be used. 5–10% of the game card's space is reserved for game save data and patches.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #24
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
I wonder if he thought you meant rom as in the term used in emulation (meaning distributing the game's image was expensive) not the Read-Only Memory. Although, I thought that games can write to the Vita cartridges? At least according to the Wikipedia page, that appears to be the case.
ROM + Flash. I haven't cracked open a Vita cartridge, but from what I understand the writable portion is a separate flash cihp. Flash would be much too expensive to distribute games on.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randum View Post
The memory cards are absurdly expensive, if you can buy a physical copy, just go that route...if Sony dropped those prices, I would be more inclined to buy games digitally but you buy a couple games and you are full on a 16gb card....

With that being said I do have an extra 8gb card I swapped for a 16, so if anyone wants another 8GB card, let me know.
I think it was Eurogamer that tested their performance and discovered the Vita cards are equivalent to Class 6 SD in their performance. Class 6 is a lower performance flash typically used for consumer grade digital cameras and is stupid cheap to buy. Sony's pretty much packaging low grade memory and selling it for three times what comparable non-proprietary microSD cards go for. It's a ripoff and I think it's a big part of why the Vita isn't selling. Even if they cut prices in half, it would still be too much.

In a round about way, I'm saying it's always better to buy boxed Vita games. They tend to retail $5 cheaper online at launch but you'd have to download a lot to recoup the cost of the memory card.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is online now   Reply With Quote