· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #51
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStall View Post
I think both companies (Apple and MS) are trying to merge their mobile and desktop OS products however. Every new version of OS X becomes a little more iOS like, they just didn't do it all in one big move the way MS did. I can understand why they are doing it but there is a big part of me that just doesn't like losing a pure desktop OS.
Feels that way,when I first heard what they was doing to Win8 I thought why not have two versions ie one for desktop users and one for tablet users etc...I guess making a hybrid OS saves them time and merges it all into one and covers all fields.

Be very interesting to see what they do with Win9.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #52
showb1z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
I found it quite easy to rearrange the tiles and also make new ones and shortcuts for my desktop and programs I need etc...I also removed ones I don't need,I even made my own Metro columns and named name , find it quite usable now.

It's not bad once you customize it to your liking IMHO,as a desktop user myself I'm very comfortable now in Win8.

I don't even miss the Start button anymore since I have my desktop customize to my liking.
This. Been running it for a week now. Getting used to the new UI took maybe a day.
I don't really get why people miss the start button, what functionality are they missing? Just get rid of all the apps, add useful things and you're set (also: search). I hardly ever even use it now, there's just no need once you have your desktop set up.
Not saying they couldn't have done better. The way apps are handled doesn't really fit on a desktop system. But the start menu itself isn't a problem imo.
showb1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #53
pmv
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showb1z View Post
This. Been running it for a week now. Getting used to the new UI took maybe a day.
I don't really get why people miss the start button, what functionality are they missing?
Its not functionality exactly, its ease-of-use. Using the Start screen is inferior to the start menu in two ways -

firstly its not sorted and nested and cascading, its 'flat' (especially the 'all apps' screen, which seems ridiculous, I dread to think how many pages all my unplayed steam games would take up!).

and secondly it means continually jumping back-and-forth between two very different style full-screens, which just seems it would be very disruptive. I mean, say you have a browser, visual stuido and solitaire running at once on the desktop and you need to quickly use the calculator to work out something in relation to one of those. Instead of being able to start up calculator while not leaving your desktop and still keeping everything in view, you'd have to jump to that garish start screen and back again.

It just seems a silly way of doing things. And it seems as if the only reason it works like that is because MS want to force desktop users to become familiar with their mobile UI.

Its like a form of intrusive advertising, having 'BUY MISCROSOFT MOBILE PRODUCTS, THEY ARE REALLY COOL!' flash up on the screen every now and then.
pmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #54
blankslate
Diamond Member

Steven Sinofsky....

they got rid of him. Good riddance.

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/287

the above link is rather sizable but two people who cover MS describe Steve Sinofsky's rather "interesting" habit of discarding perfectly fine MS code that worked and make new code to serve the same function because his people didn't develop it.

AKA "Not invented here, therefore it's crap."

An example concerning a possible future with Silverlight APIs talked about 57 mins. into the discussion.

Amongst other things... like being a total dick to people he didn't like. And fostering a divisive atmosphere in the workplace.
details at 9 mins. 50 sec. into the video

Vista is talked about briefly at about 38 mins. 30 secs. into the discussion.

Interesting viewing. twit.tv has pretty good webcasts about tech subjects. Particularly if you were a fan of tech tv since it was started by Leo Laporte and has a couple of familiar faces from that channel.

Dropkick Murphys - Workers Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfGTDyjVSE
blankslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
Linflas
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmv View Post
Its not functionality exactly, its ease-of-use. Using the Start screen is inferior to the start menu in two ways -

firstly its not sorted and nested and cascading, its 'flat' (especially the 'all apps' screen, which seems ridiculous, I dread to think how many pages all my unplayed steam games would take up!).

and secondly it means continually jumping back-and-forth between two very different style full-screens, which just seems it would be very disruptive. I mean, say you have a browser, visual stuido and solitaire running at once on the desktop and you need to quickly use the calculator to work out something in relation to one of those. Instead of being able to start up calculator while not leaving your desktop and still keeping everything in view, you'd have to jump to that garish start screen and back again.

It just seems a silly way of doing things. And it seems as if the only reason it works like that is because MS want to force desktop users to become familiar with their mobile UI.

Its like a form of intrusive advertising, having 'BUY MISCROSOFT MOBILE PRODUCTS, THEY ARE REALLY COOL!' flash up on the screen every now and then.
That is pretty much how it seems to me as well. It isn't that I can't get used to not having the Start button rather it seems somewhat pointless for them to have removed it in the first place. I don't see any way in which it improves the user experience or productivity. Even more annoying they removed the Show Desktop button from the taskbar as well so if I have a few windows open I need to minimize them 1 by 1 just to get to things I would otherwise have used the Start button to get to like My Computer etc.
blatant denial of reality, but they don't piss me off."
Amused
Linflas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #56
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linflas View Post
Even more annoying they removed the Show Desktop button from the taskbar as well so if I have a few windows open I need to minimize them 1 by 1 just to get to things I would otherwise have used the Start button to get to like My Computer etc.
Click the taskbar to the right of the time.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #57
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:

Last I checked, your eyes can only effectively focus on one object at a time. it can switch between two objects very rapidly, but there is no such thing as instantaneous multi-tasking, only very rapid task-switching (of course, this all depends on your definition of a task, etc...)
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #58
DaveStall
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
This, and the standard "Windows Key +D" still shows the desktop as well.
DaveStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #59
Linflas
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Cool never thought to try and see if they just made it invisible lol, thanks!
blatant denial of reality, but they don't piss me off."
Amused
Linflas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #60
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linflas View Post
Cool never thought to try and see if they just made it invisible lol, thanks!
Don't forget Win8 has its own basic start menu list (win+x) ie right click on left hand bottom corner on desktop.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #61
dagamer34
Platinum Member

You cannot buy what's not available in stores (which is where I assume most computers are sold, not online).

Windows 8 computers I'd be interested in but not readily available to try out:
1) HP Envy x2 (not yet released)
2) Samsung ATIV Tab
3) Samsung ATIV Smart PC
4) Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro
5) Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet II
6) Acer Iconia W510
7) Acer Iconia W700
8) ASUS Zenbook Prime Touch (not sure if released)

When you walk into a place like the Microsoft Store which I would assume would have a huge selection of products, they've got maybe 6 or 7. OEMs are really dropping the ball here (which is why I believe after this fiasco Microsoft is going to make its own laptops and desktops as well). And Best Buy's selection is an absolutely joke.

Again, you can't buy what's not in stores.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #62
lopri
Elite Member

More of the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Bg3SMBJ4o

Wonderful performance. And if I am not too crazy, this performance equals just about to what I saw on Samsung Ativ Smart PC running on the brand new Atom that's been hyped as a new level of performance (for Atoms). So I would caution anyone who thinks the new Atom is a game changer - try before buying.

Back to Surface RT, it really boggles mind the thing costs as much as an iPad while having the same processor as the Nexus 7. And $250 Nexus 7 gives you a whole lot more storage than $500 Surface. Surface's 2 GB RAM is nice (I wish the Nexus 7 had 2 GB along with dual-channel), but judging from the performance there isn't much room for the extra RAM to come into play - think of, for example, a $50 video card with 2 GB DDR3.

Add $100~$130 for a keyboard, and add $20~$30 more for another layer of protection you will likely need in order to protect the machine from physical damage. (e.g. scratches) Suddenly portability goes out the window which is the point of Surface from the get go. You might as well get a ultra-thin laptop or convertible.
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #63
lopri
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
You cannot buy what's not available in stores (which is where I assume most computers are sold, not online).
Staples carry Ativ Smart PC.

Albeit in less than a glorious form..

lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #64
Maximilian
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
More of the same

Wonderful performance. And if I am not too crazy, this performance equals just about to what I saw on Samsung Ativ Smart PC running on the brand new Atom that's been hyped as a new level of performance (for Atoms). So I would caution anyone who thinks the new Atom is a game changer - try before buying.

Back to Surface RT, it really boggles mind the thing costs as much as an iPad while having the same processor as the Nexus 7. And $250 Nexus 7 gives you a whole lot more storage than $500 Surface. Surface's 2 GB RAM is nice (I wish the Nexus 7 had 2 GB along with dual-channel), but judging from the performance there isn't much room for the extra RAM to come into play - think of, for example, a $50 video card with 2 GB DDR3.

Add $100~$130 for a keyboard, and add $20~$30 more for another layer of protection you will likely need in order to protect the machine from physical damage. (e.g. scratches) Suddenly portability goes out the window which is the point of Surface from the get go. You might as well get a ultra-thin laptop or convertible.
Looks like a fail, i expected it to do well on ARM, ditching all the backwards compatibility bloat etc.

TBH looking at that windows RT should have done away with the desktop completely and focused entirely on performance for ARM. Also calling it windows touch may have been a better idea in that case.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #65
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
Looks like a fail, i expected it to do well on ARM, ditching all the backwards compatibility bloat etc.

TBH looking at that windows RT should have done away with the desktop completely and focused entirely on performance for ARM. Also calling it windows touch may have been a better idea in that case.
Early days yet,however you have to remember how well the Android market is established,also pricing on Android is great too,I've no intention of ditching my Android tablet for a Windows 8 one and yes I do like Win8 on my desktop but prefer Android on my tablet.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #66
88keys
Golden Member

Microsoft OSes are alot like Star Trek movies in the sense that every other one sucks.

Windows 98/98se
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8

Didnt include W2K because it was originally intended for business/enterprise.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #67
smakme7757
Golden Member

I wouldn't say Windows 8 "Sucks". I'm not a fan og Metro, so i don't use it. In a normal working day i don't leave the desktop, apart from when i want to search for something to open up and searching is lightning fast compared to navigating the start menu.

Lets face it people, you have all been using the search bar in Windows 7 anyway.

With that being said, yes Metro doesn't really have a place on a desktop because we run multiple applications at once I don't think anyone could really argue about that.

But for a tablet OS is really does look and perform very well.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #68
cboath

Quote:

For YEARS, i've just be using Run/calc It took me a couple years to just make a damned shortcut on the taskbar

Seriously.

I do it for only a handful of things though. Search on the desktop side could be improved a lot if it'd run completely in the charms bar instead of having to go full screen. There's enough room there to get the exact same effect without being full screen.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #69
cboath

Quote:
More of the same

Don't forget those 200 dollar phones actually cost 550-600 or more. Your carrier is subsidizing the rest of the cost which is why you have to sign the 2 year contract. Don't wanna contract? You can go without and get the same phone, but you'll pay the full 600.

I'm really anxious to see the x86/64 tablets. The asus transformer (i think that's what it is) looks cool in the commercials as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #70
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

Quote:
More of the same

Just an FYI, most apps are laggy on RT systems simply because nobody had access to an RT tablet. Oct 28th or somewhere near there was the first time most developers got access to a functioning RT device on which they could test their code.
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #71
HeXen
Diamond Member

Partly why Apple does so well, no confusion of devices. Their product line's are simple and no other OEM's to make hardware choices more confusing. Especially with the mess of hybrid designs as Paul noted just for Lenovo alone.
Then there's people like me, has an old tablet and doesn't really need a new one, much less to jump ship to a new platform and let my old paid apps go to waste.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #72
smakme7757
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
much less to jump ship to a new platform and let my old paid apps go to waste.
That's how the tie you into their platform. I've got at least $200 invested in some extremely useful apps on android and it's why i havn't moved platform since i got my first android phone a few years ago.

I'm keen on trying Windows phone 8, but like you said having to start from scratch again is a pain.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #73
Carson Dyle
Golden Member

So what are some of the "under the hood" improvements in Windows 8? I've only seen the massive fail of the user interface discussed.
Carson Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #74
Zodiark1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumblePie View Post
Vista had many problems because of it being TOO much for the vast majority of computers on the market could handle at the time. For example, the biggest problem was the inclusion of Aero which required a 3d graphics acceleration chip of some sort. The problem was, the vast majority of computers out there for the average user didn't have any form of 3d acceleration. You couldn't get rid of aero or other interface options at the time that required it since too much in Vista was interconnected. So if you didn't have the hardware in your computer to support vista, it was going to be unstable POS for you.

Windows 7 fixed the connection problems, but in turn, the push for at least minimal 3d graphics acceleration has produced many main stream computers since then capable of handling windows 7. There were other things 7 got right that Vista was a bit wonky on, but I don't want to go into that fine of detail in this post.

Windows 8, improves upon the foundation of 7, but really missed the mark with user experience. I installed 8 and there are just WAYYYY too many annoyances as a desktop user with a keyboard and mouse only input with multiple monitors that really just annoys me. It took some custom themes as well as having to do many work arounds. Like creating quite a few shortcut "apps" for launching some things with a 1 button approach. The average desktop user isn't going to stand for that.

What would have made 8 successful without a huge change? Allow users during INSTALLATION the option of using the start screen with the tile apps or to use the old start menu system. Have them both there and give the user a way to swap between them. Include the new stuff, but EXPLAIN IT and what parts are being installed during installation. Give easy access for users to turn it off.

Oh and give Aero Glass back. Many people got used to and liked the transparency look from Vista and 7. Also, making all the default themes look like some 70's art show with everything being all blocky, no drop shadows, pastel colors EVERYWHERE, and little contrast between items on the screen is just bad. Style wise, it feels as if windows 8 went back in time and I do not like. If some head hancho at microsoft likes that look then include it, but don't remove other options that were previous in windows 7 and vista. I don't mind having the ugly pastel theme as the default them as long as I KNOW I have the option during installation to change it to something I might like different.

That's where windows 8 missed the mark. It does great in trying something new, but fails hard in forcing users into the new experience. Speaking of which, much of the new interface for windows 8 is not very intuitive at all.
I'm agreeing with you in pretty much all points. Heck, I believe it was because of Vista that iGPU makers stepped things up a notch. I don't believe iGPUs at Vista's launch even had support for T&L.

Windows 8, with it's mass of unnecessary, and sometimes assed backward changed feels like it's targeting the tablet users. I hope to god that Microsoft doesn't keep going down this route, otherwise, I'd have to give up gaming to move to Linux.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #75
smakme7757
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
So what are some of the "under the hood" improvements in Windows 8? I've only seen the massive fail of the user interface discussed.
I find it much more snappy. Loading times are next to nothing on my SSD. I turn the PC on and i'm at the login screen in 9 seconds (Including POST).

It's a nicely tuned Windows 7 with Metro, more or less. It's also boasting many security enhancements as well.