Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Black Friday 2014 > Archives > Black Friday 2012

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #76
pontifex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Ditto. I believe it goes on sale at 10pm. Since I wouldn't have to wait outside in a line (I hope), I might just go down there around 9pm and see if any of the items I liked for their 8pm sale are still left. (2HP shop vac.) I'm really kind of hoping it isn't a high demand item in my area. I think that the "kind" of people (no offense meant) who would stand in line for hours upon hours to wait for a television would more likely be waiting for a $198 40" television. Then again, will they have just one per store? 2 per store? Who knows??

I think that what I'm really hoping is that the masses are stupid - well, this I know. But, I'm hoping they're thinking "60 inches? That's only 20 more inches, and for almost $500 more dollars??" When, in reality, it's about 225% larger. My fingers are crossed though - and I'm actually supposed to pick up two of them. (Nephew wants one picked up for his parents; his job doesn't leave him time to come in.)
several years ago wal-mart had a huge sale on i think they were blu-ray players. were i worked at the time, there was a wal-mart nearby and it was kind of out of the way in a rural area. i figured I'd stop in during lunch and get one. they were all sold out. som guy came in and bought 10 of them.

just because you're in an area where people aren't tech savvy, don't discount it. i think people are more savvy than you think, and especially if it's in a paper ad...forget it.

and you people who want to show up an hour before the sale are delusional. there's already going to be a line of 50+ people by then.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #77
Steve
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomharp View Post
I was on at 5:30pm and when the TV went on sale I clicked to purchase it paused for a second and then said sold out. I am glad I only wasted 5 minutes of my time. I believe they only had a few for sale and it was the old bait sale game. Did anyone out there get one?
2nd post in over ten years?

Anyway, one of the guys in the thread I made at SA, the guy whose post I quoted about having two browser windows open for the Vizio, scored one.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #78
lsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisolm View Post
Got the 60" Vizio from Walmart. Now I've got a BIG ass tv to watch FSU vs Florida Saturday. Life is good.
Ugh lucky you. I got to wally world at 8 thinking people would just start to show up for the TV. Nope it was jam packed with people and supposedly all 15 Vizio's were spoken for. Yep only 15 Vizio's.

Got home in time to try for the Vizio on Amazon and no dice. Even with my wife and I on two computers constantly refreshing we never saw the price at $688. It was gone in milliseconds.

I was able to order this http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60U50
for $720 +tax with free shipping. It's not a smart TV and is a plasma but still a good deal.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #79
dagamer34
Platinum Member

It seems there's really nothing out there for someone like me who wants a quality 32" HDTV. The Samsung UN32EH4003 seems so barebones that it's not even worth spending money on (I refuse to buy 720p TVs at this point).

=/
Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #80
batmanuel
Platinum Member

I actually cruised into Target about an hour after opening to grab a suitcase deal I was eyeing, and when I was checking out what was left, about 6 of the 50" Westinghouse TVs became available again. Apparently, they handed out slips to the people in line, and no one picked them up. I didn't jump on the deal because I just don't have anywhere I can use a 50" model, but I thought it was funny that a non-early bird like me could have easily grabbed the worm. It seems like about an hour after store opening is a good window to grab doorbusters that are snapped up and then discarded after the initial insanity.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #81
Capt Caveman
Lifer

nvm

Last edited by Capt Caveman; 11-23-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #82
Demo24
Diamond Member

Hmm, apparently either the amazon Panasonic 32 sold out at the bf price or never went that low, oh well guess I'll get something else.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #83
cjhj11

I hate fighting the crowds for a great deal. Why not shop online for an HDTV? I have seen great Black Friday sales online on HDTV's like Vizio and you can often get free shipping. It's also helpful for me when an online merchant has customer feedback, so if I don't know a lot about the item I'm buying, I can get an idea of the good and bad points before I purchase.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #84
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsd View Post
Ugh lucky you. I got to wally world at 8 thinking people would just start to show up for the TV. Nope it was jam packed with people and supposedly all 15 Vizio's were spoken for. Yep only 15 Vizio's.

Got home in time to try for the Vizio on Amazon and no dice. Even with my wife and I on two computers constantly refreshing we never saw the price at $688. It was gone in milliseconds.

I was able to order this http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60U50
for $720 +tax with free shipping. It's not a smart TV and is a plasma but still a good deal.
That's twice as many of the Vizios than my local Walmart had. So, I struck out. When we got to the road that leads to the parking lot, my first thought was "holy shit" because people were exiting the lot and parking in the grass on the side of the road a pretty good distance from the store. We got in about 5 minutes of walking, "where's the line?" "Sorry, they're all gone" (well before the sale), turned around, walked back to the car, laughed at people circling the lot hoping for a closer parking spot, and left. Since we were at a family Thanksgiving day dinner just a few minutes away, it wasted less than 20 minutes of our time. They must have had a bazillion of those $150 32" televisions - and every one of them was in a shopping cart with people just standing around (apparently, they let you take them before they actually went on sale - you had to wait a couple hours before you could check out.)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #85
Capt Caveman
Lifer

At BJs right now, can't decide between the 42" 1080p Vizio for $399 or go online and get the 40" 1080p 3D Samsung for $499
This is for an exercise room.

Last edited by Capt Caveman; 11-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #86
dbk
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
At BJs right now, can't decide between the 42" 1080p Vizio for $399 or go online and get the 40" 1080p 3D Samsung for $499
This is for an exercise room.
doesn't 3D require glasses? probably wouldn't work while exercising
Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #87
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbk View Post
doesn't 3D require glasses? probably wouldn't work while exercising
It does, and it's terrible anyway
Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #88
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Ended up just ordering this Toshiba 40" 1080p 120hz LED for $400(Promo code EMCYTZT2555) from Newegg just now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889253298
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #89
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Not being able to get in on the Panasonic L55ET5 lighting deal on Amazon for $899 for CyberMonday, Amazon has the Panasonic L55DT50 for $999 - http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...cm_rdp_product

It's a step-up from the ET5 but it's gotten some poor reviews due to the panel on this tv having poor black levels.

On the fence here.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #90
mizzou
Diamond Member

really great prices on TV's this year. I think I'll upgrade next year
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #91
cheetah99

I just saw this on Amazon - Sceptre X325BV-FHD 32" 1080p for $179. Anyone has any experience with Sceptre TV?

http://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-X325BV.../dp/B008BQGPOA
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #92
jbillini

Default Too late for the good deals

Damn,
I started looking this morning online for a good deal on a 50" to 51" LCD HDTV for around $300 to $350 but all them must have been Black Friday deals that sold super fast. Please let me know if any other deals appear the rest of this Cyber Monday week. Doubt they will though as cheap as that for a 50".

Jim