· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #76
Anubis
No Lifer

ive also seen your post on AVS and TBH the 12s would porb be overkill for your space the 8 would be more than good enough and they fall within your budget a bit better.
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #77
purbeast0
Lifer

having the biggest BITCH of a time getting the screen on my fucking wall and it is irritating the shit out of me, and now i have to go do family stuff all day so i can't mess with it until tonight... UUUGGGHHH!!!

yesterday i got the projector mounted and built the screen. had no issues building the screen myself and it was a lot easier than people made it out to be it was to build it.

the hardest part i've been having trouble with is mounting the damn thing on the wall. for some reason it just will not catch on the left bracket. before i even got it up though, i was having issues with the drywall anchors. basically the ones that came with it are awful and i was lucky as shit that i happened to randomly mount it near studs (both of them) so i could get it to work by screwing into the studs.

but for some reason the bracket on the left just will not catch. i remounted the bracket but i don't have help to mount it now and won't until tonight. i'm DYING to see what a damn movie looks like on the screen, even though i don't have sound. just want to see the image.

well here are some pics of the progress.

http://i.imgur.com/6rmUyh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j4O8Ph.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QYLCFh.jpg

it's slowly but surely getting there.

EDIT:

and thanks for the info about the JTR speakers. i really will have to demo them somewhere before i even consider them though. but from what everyone is saying and what i've read, even the triple 8's will blow the b&w stuff i'm looking at out of the water for movies/games which is my focus.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #78
sdifox
No Lifer

do you have a couple of chairs or stools that will get the screen almost to the mount height? They help a lot on mounting.
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #79
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
do you have a couple of chairs or stools that will get the screen almost to the mount height? They help a lot on mounting.
so the m'fing problem was that my wall wasn't flat...

my bro in law helped me out tonight to figure that out. moved the mount over 1 stud to the left and bam worked like a charm.

http://i.imgur.com/H7nB2h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Z6ozh.jpg

need to get my speakers asap because i put a movie on there and holy crap it made me wet.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #80
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
so the m'fing problem was that my wall wasn't flat...

my bro in law helped me out tonight to figure that out. moved the mount over 1 stud to the left and bam worked like a charm.

http://i.imgur.com/H7nB2h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Z6ozh.jpg

need to get my speakers asap because i put a movie on there and holy crap it made me wet.
Lulz.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #81
purbeast0
Lifer

so pretty sure i've decided on seating. going to go with the berkline 12000's most likely, still finding out some details about them.

http://4seating.com/berkline-theater...0-frampton.htm

going to go with 5 seats in the pattern of lOVOOOVOl

so there will be 3 seats in the middle like a couch with no console between the middle seat and the outer 2, then 1 seat on each end angled inward a bit. the size is about 160" for the row which will match perfectly for us and be dead center of the screen. and when we have our nephews over we could probably fit 4 people on the center 3 seats.

there is a great deal on these seats so i may have to end up ordering them. will report back if so!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #82
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
so pretty sure i've decided on seating. going to go with the berkline 12000's most likely, still finding out some details about them.

http://4seating.com/berkline-theater...0-frampton.htm

going to go with 5 seats in the pattern of lOVOOOVOl

so there will be 3 seats in the middle like a couch with no console between the middle seat and the outer 2, then 1 seat on each end angled inward a bit. the size is about 160" for the row which will match perfectly for us and be dead center of the screen. and when we have our nephews over we could probably fit 4 people on the center 3 seats.

there is a great deal on these seats so i may have to end up ordering them. will report back if so!
I prefer regular sofas. I am at home, I want to be as comfortable as I can.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #83
Number1
Diamond Member

Thumbs up

I just repainted my man cave and ended up painting the walls with a similar color as yours except for the TV wall that I painted black. (see sig for pics)

Your setup is starting to look very very good. Something to be proud of for sure. Can't wait to see the final result.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #84
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
I prefer regular sofas. I am at home, I want to be as comfortable as I can.
the middle is going to be 3 seats in a row so essentially a sofa. also i've only sat in a few of these theater style seats but they are awesome and comfortable as hell. initially i wanted a couch that reclined as well to have the both of best worlds, but after shopping around pretty much every local store i could not find one that i really wanted that jumped out to me, so i'm gonna go with these style of seats instead.

i'm torn whether to order the black ones in bonded leather/vinyl, or if i should get the chocolate brown leather/vinyl ones. the seller showed me a picture of the actual color swatch of the shade of brown.

http://imgur.com/XXqHk

it is the 88 one, 3rd from the left on the left swatch.

i'd prefer black but i'd also prefer leather, and my wife and i were talking that brown would go pretty well with our color scheme down there. but so would black as it always does, and all my electronics are black (screen, projector, possibly av rack).

going to email her the swatch pic before i decide. it's only $50/chair more for the leather.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #85
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post
I just repainted my man cave and ended up painting the walls with a similar color as yours except for the TV wall that I painted black. (see sig for pics)

Your setup is starting to look very very good. Something to be proud of for sure. Can't wait to see the final result.
nice looking setup you got there too man! i like the klipsch speakers.

i was looking and initially going to purchase some klipsch RF7 and RC64 setup but then heard others and i realized the horn in the klipsch was just a bit too loud/high pitch for me personally. they sounded awesome though.

what sub is that? looks like the same one i have. i bought the klipsch RW-12d sub for my upstairs from newegg a few weeks ago when it went on sale for $300 and that thing packs a mean punch, definitely happy with it for where it's going to be.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #86
Anubis
No Lifer

id go with black
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #87
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
the middle is going to be 3 seats in a row so essentially a sofa. also i've only sat in a few of these theater style seats but they are awesome and comfortable as hell. initially i wanted a couch that reclined as well to have the both of best worlds, but after shopping around pretty much every local store i could not find one that i really wanted that jumped out to me, so i'm gonna go with these style of seats instead.

i'm torn whether to order the black ones in bonded leather/vinyl, or if i should get the chocolate brown leather/vinyl ones. the seller showed me a picture of the actual color swatch of the shade of brown.

http://imgur.com/XXqHk

it is the 88 one, 3rd from the left on the left swatch.

i'd prefer black but i'd also prefer leather, and my wife and i were talking that brown would go pretty well with our color scheme down there. but so would black as it always does, and all my electronics are black (screen, projector, possibly av rack).

going to email her the swatch pic before i decide. it's only $50/chair more for the leather.
Genuine leather and not the bonded shit right? I prefer brown couches, but that is just me.
I like to lay across my couch. And it's wide enough that all 5' 10" of me can fit completely in it.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #88
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Genuine leather and not the bonded shit right? I prefer brown couches, but that is just me.
I like to lay across my couch. And it's wide enough that all 5' 10" of me can fit completely in it.
I would highly recommend staying away from Genuine leather (bonded or not). Leather just sucks (especially in cars, even worst in furniture).

Go with something Vinyl. Much cheaper, no maintenance, no cracking and MUCH MUCH MUCH more long lasting than any leather.
Vdubchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #89
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubchaos View Post
I would highly recommend staying away from Genuine leather (bonded or not). Leather just sucks (especially in cars, even worst in furniture).

Go with something Vinyl. Much cheaper, no maintenance, no cracking and MUCH MUCH MUCH more long lasting than any leather.
... bonded leather is synthetic, just like your vinyl shit.

You are the first person I have "met" recommending vinyl over genuine leather.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #90
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
... bonded leather is synthetic, just like your vinyl shit.

You are the first person I have "met" recommending vinyl over genuine leather.
Guess what, it's simply based on experience.

Let's see, we have 2 BMWs in our family (between 2004-2006). One has leather the other has "leatherette".

Leather one looks like crap, cracks and shows wear. Cost was $1500 on top of "leatherette".

Leatherette on the other hand, looks just like leather and even after 7+ years it still looks BRAND NEW. No maintenance needed, MUCH cheaper, no wear/cracks AT ALL.

I have similar experience with couches as well.

Quality Vinyl is simply cheaper and better all around (any way you look at it).

Take a look at public transportation. Do you see leather on trains? no it's Vinyl. Do you know why? Because it doesn't wear/rip/crack and withstands the test of time. It's also much cheaper to produce.

I think people put WAY too much emphasis on "what it is". Just like Jewelry. Why pay thousands more for "real" when you can have exact same synthetic diamond for 1/2-1/3 of the price.

Bragging right?

I don't really give a crap about what other people think. What matter is a) functionality (how long will it last, how it wears and maintenance) and b) price.

Now, keep in mind that there is Quality leather out there, but it's VERY hard to come by and it still doesn't last as long as good quality vinyl. MANY Auto makers and Furniture makers have found ways to skimp out on leather and quality has suffered since.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #91
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
having the biggest BITCH of a time getting the screen on my fucking wall and it is irritating the shit out of me, and now i have to go do family stuff all day so i can't mess with it until tonight... UUUGGGHHH!!!

yesterday i got the projector mounted and built the screen. had no issues building the screen myself and it was a lot easier than people made it out to be it was to build it.

the hardest part i've been having trouble with is mounting the damn thing on the wall. for some reason it just will not catch on the left bracket. before i even got it up though, i was having issues with the drywall anchors. basically the ones that came with it are awful and i was lucky as shit that i happened to randomly mount it near studs (both of them) so i could get it to work by screwing into the studs.

but for some reason the bracket on the left just will not catch. i remounted the bracket but i don't have help to mount it now and won't until tonight. i'm DYING to see what a damn movie looks like on the screen, even though i don't have sound. just want to see the image.
Did you just tell me how much easier it is to "simply" hang up the screen vs painting it.

I told you so.....painting is the way to go

: D
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #92
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
yea i'm going to go with the genuine leather in chocolate brown over the bonded leather in the black. talked to my wife and she is cool with that too and prefers it. i think it will look nice down there and it will look different than the usual black leather couches that i see and have had before. also the quality should be somewhat better in the long run, although the bonded leather has a pretty good rep for these specific chairs.

the middle seats are each 25" wide so it will be 6'3" wide. i'm only 5'11 so i could lie across it no problem. doubt i will be doing that down there though hah.

i still am though really torn between the black/brown colors lol, regardless of the material used. if they had black in leather i would get that with no hesitation.

EDIT: although 99% going with the brown. hate how i over-think decisions when making large purchases.

Last edited by purbeast0; 11-28-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #93
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Did you just tell me how much easier it is to "simply" hang up the screen vs painting it.

I told you so.....painting is the way to go

it is easier, my wall just wasn't flat and once i realized that it took 2 seconds.

oh and speaking of that, yea that would have been awesome painting a wall that wasn't flat and using a non-flat area as a screen...
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #94
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
it is easier, my wall just wasn't flat and once i realized that it took 2 seconds.

oh and speaking of that, yea that would have been awesome painting a wall that wasn't flat and using a non-flat area as a screen...
LMAO you go from "the biggest bitch of all time.....to 2 seconds. NIIICE.

Learn how to do Sheetrock/Mud correctly? Or hire a professional?

Painting a screen is easy and cheap. 15 min trip to the store, hour at most for prep and painting and about $50 bucks.

Compare that to the time it took you to put it up and cost of the actual screen.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #95
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Guess what, it's simply based on experience.

Let's see, we have 2 BMWs in our family (between 2004-2006). One has leather the other has "leatherette".

Leather one looks like crap, cracks and shows wear. Cost was $1500 on top of "leatherette".

Leatherette on the other hand, looks just like leather and even after 7+ years it still looks BRAND NEW. No maintenance needed, MUCH cheaper, no wear/cracks AT ALL.

I have similar experience with couches as well.

Quality Vinyl is simply cheaper and better all around (any way you look at it).

Take a look at public transportation. Do you see leather on trains? no it's Vinyl. Do you know why? Because it doesn't wear/rip/crack and withstands the test of time. It's also much cheaper to produce.

I think people put WAY too much emphasis on "what it is". Just like Jewelry. Why pay thousands more for "real" when you can have exact same synthetic diamond for 1/2-1/3 of the price.

Bragging right?

I don't really give a crap about what other people think. What matter is a) functionality (how long will it last, how it wears and maintenance) and b) price.

Now, keep in mind that there is Quality leather out there, but it's VERY hard to come by and it still doesn't last as long as good quality vinyl. MANY Auto makers and Furniture makers have found ways to skimp out on leather and quality has suffered since.
Enjoy your vinyl. I'll stick to my 10 year old leather couch. I like my locally made genuine leather furniture.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #96
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
yea i'm going to go with the genuine leather in chocolate brown over the bonded leather in the black. talked to my wife and she is cool with that too and prefers it. i think it will look nice down there and it will look different than the usual black leather couches that i see and have had before. also the quality should be somewhat better in the long run, although the bonded leather has a pretty good rep for these specific chairs.

the middle seats are each 25" wide so it will be 6'3" wide. i'm only 5'11 so i could lie across it no problem. doubt i will be doing that down there though hah.

i still am though really torn between the black/brown colors lol, regardless of the material used. if they had black in leather i would get that with no hesitation.

EDIT: although 99% going with the brown. hate how i over-think decisions when making large purchases.
Let me complicate it for you. There are different shades of brown
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #97
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Enjoy your vinyl. I'll stick to my 10 year old leather couch. I like my locally made genuine leather furniture.
Well you have that luxury. They don't make any "local" genuine leather furniture around where I live.

Regardless, your leather will NOT outlive Vinyl. So you can have your worthless bragging rights.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #98
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Well you have that luxury. They don't make any "local" genuine leather furniture around where I live.

Regardless, your leather will NOT outlive Vinyl. So you can have your worthless bragging rights.
Who is bragging?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #99
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Who is bragging?
Your 10 year old genuine leather couch?

That couch wouldn't last a year in my household.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #100
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
LMAO you go from "the biggest bitch of all time.....to 2 seconds. NIIICE.

Learn how to do Sheetrock/Mud correctly? Or hire a professional?

Painting a screen is easy and cheap. 15 min trip to the store, hour at most for prep and painting and about $50 bucks.

Compare that to the time it took you to put it up and cost of the actual screen.

again, not everyone is a penny pincher looking for budget everything such as yourself. we've been over this already. i do find it funny/ironic/whatever that you are super cheap/budget conscious with everything (based on your post history on here) then you mention you have 2 bmw cars.

took a grand total of probably 30 minutes to put up the screen after about 30-45 minutes of building it. you should probably read the rest of the posts i made about when i figured out the problem. it's not like i was sitting there for 24 hours straight trying to force the screen on the wall and it just not going there.

you really like to try and justify your frugalness every chance you get.