· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
tommo123
Platinum Member

Default great - win 8 won't install updates

keeps on 0% downloading updates from the 11th or so repeatedly.

after 15 mins it managed to install the win defender update (which i have to do manually btw - won't do itself in spite of the fact that it's set to download and install automatically).

good lord what a piece of crap! i guess i'll be riding windows 8 bareback

Moved to Operating Systems, since it's an OS topic
AnandTech Moderator mechBgon

Last edited by mechBgon; 11-22-2012 at 06:31 PM.
tommo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Ken g6
Elite Member

Tried going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
tommo123
Platinum Member

that just says "Use your Start menu to check for updates"

i installed one of them (also took ages) so maybe one can't be installed for some reason?

havent reboot yet and wont for another week so will try the next download at that point
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo123 View Post
that just says "Use your Start menu to check for updates"

i installed one of them (also took ages) so maybe one can't be installed for some reason?

havent reboot yet and wont for another week so will try the next download at that point
Why do you have to wait a week to reboot?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
tommo123
Platinum Member

because i use my PC a lot and leave stuff running i don't want to interrupt (encoding stuff).
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
because i use my PC a lot and leave stuff running i don't want to interrupt (encoding stuff).
There's not less than two minutes where you aren't actively encoding anything or other intensive work, and instead are just browsing the web?

The next break between encode jobs, if that's what it comes to. It's hardly an inconvenience, honestly. I can understand not interrupting a job or other task that takes a long time to complete, but in-between? You don't have encoding jobs scheduled back to back for infinity, do you? If you manually start them, the next time, do it.

And updates and stuff are ideally performed when nothing is going on in the background.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
tommo123
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrekor View Post
There's not less than two minutes where you aren't actively encoding anything or other intensive work, and instead are just browsing the web?

The next break between encode jobs, if that's what it comes to. It's hardly an inconvenience, honestly. I can understand not interrupting a job or other task that takes a long time to complete, but in-between? You don't have encoding jobs scheduled back to back for infinity, do you? If you manually start them, the next time, do it.

And updates and stuff are ideally performed when nothing is going on in the background.
only thing going on in the background is video encoding - nothign to do with system files. this was all fine in vista and win7 so shouldn't be an issue with win 8 either.

my encodes are fairly long. a min of 7 hours or so and some take a few days. stupid HD cam records interlaced. deinterlacing properly takes a while which adds to the time and i have 26 left to do (my laptops doing some too).

it wouldn't be an issue if this thing hadn't bugged out on me already. i'll install them, just in the future. the problem isnt whether i have 2 minutes. it's rebooting, installing another single update, reboot, install another update, reboot to clear this backlog since if i let windows try to install them all at once - it doesn't do a thing. that's gonna take a while.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
only thing going on in the background is video encoding - nothign to do with system files. this was all fine in vista and win7 so shouldn't be an issue with win 8 either.

my encodes are fairly long. a min of 7 hours or so and some take a few days. stupid HD cam records interlaced. deinterlacing properly takes a while which adds to the time and i have 26 left to do (my laptops doing some too).

it wouldn't be an issue if this thing hadn't bugged out on me already. i'll install them, just in the future. the problem isnt whether i have 2 minutes. it's rebooting, installing another single update, reboot, install another update, reboot to clear this backlog since if i let windows try to install them all at once - it doesn't do a thing. that's gonna take a while.
The idea is it'll take two minutes to figure it out, not two minutes to get up to date.

As in, in two minutes, you will know if you have bigger problems that need addressed, or if a simple reboot will solve the issue.

You can cancel in-progress updates, so reboot, see if things start to look better, then figure out when you will actually take care of the updates (or address a larger problem, probably through support channels).

Reboots after updates in Win8 are actually far less common. I've gone through a few updates and it never asked to reboot. I think I've only had one or two instances when I had to reboot thus far.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #9
tommo123
Platinum Member

each update i have waiting appears to need a reboot after. so i'll have to reboot each time as it takes longer to wait and see if it can do all in one go. i went through the updates upto the 11th or whenever and each block had at least 1 that needed a reboot as i had to restart to complete
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
thedominator007

It might be because you have a slow internet connection?
thedominator007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
tommo123
Platinum Member

can download at 2MB/sec so that's not it. my laptops also got them fine so somethings up with this one. won't be an issue much longer as i'm replacing the PC.

now need to figure out how to get win8 upgrade as a fresh install!