· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
ericlp
Diamond Member

Default Wifi Extended 3 times?

I was wondering...

Can you say... do something like this?

Building 1 (incoming internet) AP
Building 2 (VAP1 - Strong wireless connection to building 1)
Building 3 (VAP2 - Can't connect to building 1 / strong signal from Building 2)

So I don't think your can you string a VAP together to talk though a another vap to get internet access or is that gonna slow things way down? I dunno if it's even possible. BTW, all these routers are the same using DD-WRT ...

Specs for equipment:

Wireless speed up to 150Mbps CCA technology delivers reliable performance even in noisy environment
Wireless security encryption easily at a push of QSS button Priority of service assures the quality of bandwidth sensitive applications such as voice and video
Standards: IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b Interface: 4x 10/100 LAN Ports, 1x 10/100 WAN Port
Antenna: 5dBi Fixed Omni Directional Antenna Wireless Signal Rates: Up to 150Mbps Frequency Range: 2.4~2.4835GHz
6M: -88dBm@10% PER 1M: -90dBm@8% PER
Receiver Sensitivity:130M: -68dBm@10% PER 54M: -68dBm@10% PER 11M: -85dBm@8% PER

Is there another way I can make this work wirelessly with out stringing cat5 cable? Would like to get 50Mbs on all three links. Not doing any encryption.

Thanks!

Last edited by ericlp; 11-20-2012 at 02:38 AM.
ericlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member

I suppose its possible, but you WILL need some kind of external directional antenna. 2.4GHz 802.11 should be good for 500m outdoors with no obstructions and high-gain directional antennas...

But you should properly get someone more knowledgeable then me to explain the hows and whys...
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
drebo
Diamond Member

If you use the right kind of equipment, you won't have any real issues. If you use the wrong kind of equipment (regardless of the kind of antenna you use,) it'll be nearly unusable.

You need to make sure that your backhauls, or the connections between buildings, are made with dedicated radios, and not shared with the client access radios.

If you do the former, then there's no issues.

If you do the latter and share the backhaul with the client radio, your effective bandwidth will be cut in half for every hop. So if you start with 150mbps, your effective bandwidth will be ~37mbps (actually only half that, because wireless is a simplex media.) This speed will apply at ALL stages of the wireless network, not just the furthest.

The moral of the story is to use dedicated backhaul links, preferably on a different frequency spectrum.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
spidey07
No Lifer

Outdoor mesh, easy to do. 5Ghz backhaul, and 2.4 Ghz servicing clients. Or vice versa if you have all 802.11n 5Ghz clients. Agree on directional antennas, if you have line of site then just go back to building 1. Cisco Mesh solution would be easy, 4k per access point however and you need controllers.
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
ericlp
Diamond Member

as usual the client wants it done as cheap as possible (don't we all) but I'm doing it as a favor for someone. So... I guess ... I've already set up a vap with 3 of my neighbors and I got over 300' range ... Thought it was pretty good for measly 9 dollar router on sale. So much for 4K a link! hahaha

Anyway, this is for a humane society non profit so the don't have much to spend in the first place. But I'll buy another router and play around with it... I know that the traffic is cut in half already and I am sure you add another hop with only half the bandwidth and now you asking the router in the middle to pass information between another vap and an AP so...... I just think it's gonna be too slow. So..... I'll probably run cat5 cable and make building 2 an AP and building 3 a VAP.

Thanks. I'll post my setup results when I get the equipment ...
ericlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
spidey07
No Lifer

What is a VAP?
(")_(")
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
What is a VAP?
Virtual Access-Point. It's a feature of DD-WRT Atheros builds. (I don't think Broadcom.)

Basically, you set the "master" SSID to the AP that you are repeating, and then create a "Virtual AP" with a new SSID for clients to connect to the repeating router. As opposed to just setting up a Broadcom router for wireless bridge or repeater mode.

Edit: If you have Broadcom-based routers (which I don't think that you do), then I would recommend a multi-way WDS setup. That's what I have at home with three APs in WDS mode.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
thecoolnessrune
Diamond Member

To expand on the previous point, VAP is a way to use the Layer 2 VLAN feature of DD-WRT on some routers to create VLAN trunk ports on the internal ethernet port that connects to the wireless access point.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
spidey07
No Lifer

So just multiple BSSID.
(")_(")
Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
thecoolnessrune
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
So just multiple BSSID.
Correct, which is why a Mesh is wholly unnecessary. As said in the original OP, Building 1 does not have access to building 3. There is no need nor provision for the redundant connections or self-healing that a centralized wireless controller would provide. All the OP needs is simple WDS bridging. No need to buy a Makita drill to screw in a paper towel holder.

To the OP, as your update said, anywhere you can get a wire, you should. A wired solution will be much faster, and much more reliable than any solution you could create with a wireless setup.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
remixedcat

Hotels have it configured like that...
remixedcat is offline   Reply With Quote