Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Audio/Video & Home Theater

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default Help me pick best studio monitors ~ 1500$ Neuman KH 120 vs Adam A7x vs Focal CMS 50

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy one of this speakers, and i got some a bit specific questions about them.

Q: Usage?

A: Music listening, (no production) mostly rock and instrumental music/vocals/blues/new age, i prefer detailed sound and huge soundstage, with decent lows.

Q: Room size?

A: 5x5m

Q: DAC/Soundcard?

A: Xonar STX


Q: What part of speakers quality is most important to you?

A: AMPS and build quality, would also like to know, which from this speakers use most quality parts, and the exact models of amps, for example i heard mosfet based amps are the best, and better then PWM/regular amps.


Thanks in advance !
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
mshan
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,869
Default

Magnepan MMG?: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Low sensitivity and 4 Ohm load, so you would need to ask them about what amplification they found works well with them (total guess, but maybe NAD or the lower end Parasound stuff?)

I doubt you are going to get insane spl or gut thumping bass, but a voluminous soundstage and lots of detail would be consistent with Magnepan ribbons.
mshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

I'm in small room, so to save you some time, i only need (can use) studio monitors, my desk where i keep them is the only free space, cranked up room ye.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i need info about this 3 pairs, no Hi-Fi gear.
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Thanks for the answer cheez, i would look at CMS 40, but they lack bass, and i think CMS50 is not alot better in that regard.
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,787
Default

if you are looking for a 2.0 solution and don't mind active speakers the look of these the KRK Rokit RP10-3s are a great value at 1000$ for a pair, they play flat to 30hz and have great clarity and detail. great low end for music, you dont really need a sub as most music but if you really want the sub 30 notes you would need one like with almost any speaker

they are kinda large - could be a drawback

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-mon...it-rp10-3.html

Last edited by Anubis; 11-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyside View Post
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy one of this speakers, and i got some a bit specific questions about them.

Q: Usage?

A: Music listening, (no production) mostly rock and instrumental music/vocals/blues/new age, i prefer detailed sound and huge soundstage, with decent lows.

Q: Room size?

A: 5x5m

Q: DAC/Soundcard?

A: Xonar STX


Q: What part of speakers quality is most important to you?

A: AMPS and build quality, would also like to know, which from this speakers use most quality parts, and the exact models of amps, for example i heard mosfet based amps are the best, and better then PWM/regular amps.


Thanks in advance !
how far are you sitting from them? they are near field so if it is at your desk and you are sitting at your desk you are fine.

the Adams are nice.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
if you are looking for a 2.0 solution and don't mind active speakers the look of these the KRK Rokit RP10-3s are a great value at 1000$ for a pair, they play flat to 30hz and have great clarity and detail. great low end for music, you dont really need a sub as most music but if you really want the sub 30 notes you would need one like with almost any speaker

they are kinda large - could be a drawback

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-mon...it-rp10-3.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes they are to big.
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
how far are you sitting from them? they are near field so if it is at your desk and you are sitting at your desk you are fine.

the Adams are nice.

Yes 1 metter, why do you prefer the Adams?
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyside View Post
Yes 1 metter, why do you prefer the Adams?
Personal preference

That is the thing with speakers, ask two people and you will probably get ten different answers.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

You own them or have? how are the highs, i heard they are a bit harsh, i own A3x atm but i guess A7x should be different even the tweeters should be the same.

Also what about the bass, is it boomy?
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyside View Post
You own them or have? how are the highs, i heard they are a bit harsh, i own A3x atm but i guess A7x should be different even the tweeters should be the same.

Also what about the bass, is it boomy?
I have heard them. Like the ribbon tweeter. I would not call it boomy. If you have A3x already, and like it, A7x is the obvious choice.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
SyndromeOCZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 606
Default

I've got some Wharfedale Evo2-10's that I use on my computer desk. Though they are cheaper than the KRK's and such posted(I got mine for 400 for the set). They are passive and I think a sub is needed. The highs on them are very very nice, and the bass is great as well. Though they do better if you standing back a bit, they also sound great when sitting in my desk. I've also got some KRK Rockit 6's and 8's and I like the wharfedale much more.
SyndromeOCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
thm1223
Senior Member
 
thm1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 306
Default

I have a pair of Adam A7xs for my computer setup and another pair that I use in conjunction with a Sub8 for my home studio.

I extensively tested them against virtually all other monitors in the $1400-$2000 price range, and definitely preferred them.

Simply put though, the only way to truly make an informed decision is to go try them out yourself with the genre(s) of music you mostly listen to.
thm1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,322
Default

You might also take a look at a 2.1 setup consisting of the following:

Emotiva AirMotiv 5
http://emotivapro.com/products/power.../airmotiv5.php

SVS SB1000
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/se...0#.UK6BruOe8hw



gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
I have heard them. Like the ribbon tweeter. I would not call it boomy. If you have A3x already, and like it, A7x is the obvious choice.
Thanks but the issue is here they got the older version which had port noise issues, will go and listen them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyndromeOCZ View Post
I've got some Wharfedale Evo2-10's that I use on my computer desk. Though they are cheaper than the KRK's and such posted(I got mine for 400 for the set). They are passive and I think a sub is needed. The highs on them are very very nice, and the bass is great as well. Though they do better if you standing back a bit, they also sound great when sitting in my desk. I've also got some KRK Rockit 6's and 8's and I like the wharfedale much more.
Thanks for the answer, sorry but i don't prefer passive speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thm1223 View Post
I have a pair of Adam A7xs for my computer setup and another pair that I use in conjunction with a Sub8 for my home studio.

I extensively tested them against virtually all other monitors in the $1400-$2000 price range, and definitely preferred them.

Simply put though, the only way to truly make an informed decision is to go try them out yourself with the genre(s) of music you mostly listen to.
Yes, i will give them a listen, like i said, they got the revision 1, which had port noise issues, will go and give them a listen to see maybe they are not effected.
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyside View Post
Thanks but the issue is here they got the older version which had port noise issues, will go and listen them anyway.



Thanks for the answer, sorry but i don't prefer passive speakers.



Yes, i will give them a listen, like i said, they got the revision 1, which had port noise issues, will go and give them a listen to see maybe they are not effected.
Port noise was an issue back in Feb and not all of them were affected. I would imagine it is no longer an issue. You can always copy down serial number first then contact Adam. They will tell you if it is the fixed one or old stock.

Here is where?
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Delete
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
. You can always copy down serial number first then contact Adam. They will tell you if it is the fixed one or old stock.
I tried that, they said they cant tell me the serial, but i'm 95% sure its the old stock....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
You might also take a look at a 2.1 setup consisting of the following:
Thanks will check them out!
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyside View Post
I tried that, they said they cant tell me the serial, but i'm 95% sure its the old stock....


Thanks will check them out!
Oh well. Only seller in town?
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Psyside
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
Oh well. Only seller in town?
Yes, only
Psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
richardycc
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: lalaland
Posts: 5,505
Default

I was gonna suggest KEF LS50, but looks like you are looking for active speakers.
__________________
Keyboard error or no keyboard present...

Press F1 to continue, or DEL to enter setup.
richardycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,111
Default

Second the recommendation for the Airmotiv's. Have the 6's for my desktop setup, no problems with them.

Just ordered their new XDA-2 DAC as well :-)
GarfieldtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,322
Default

^ lol
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
^ lol
He's special.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Psyside,

Add 3 more hundred dollars and you can opt for a pair of Focal CMS65. It has the 6.5" mid bass driver and the lows down to 45 hz. It should provide good study bass.

Another fantastic option is to opt for a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers ($200) and an Audioquest Angel cable ($1200) if you aren't for "loud" listening. It's an exclusive expensive setup but still falls right under your price range. Add an 8" or 10" sub and will give you tight, controlled, hard, detailed, authentic bass from the system. The A2's will make your sub sound tight while the sub will make your A2's sound big. Best sound I ever received, even beating the Focal CMS40 with sub in nearfield listening, no kidding.
.
LOL at the audiophool that spends 6X more on a cable then speakers.

Bet he couldn't tell a difference in a double blind test between his $1200 cables and a coat hanger.
GarfieldtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.