· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Default Touching cable disconnects internet

So I have time warner cable, and if I as much as touch the cable going to my computer or move the modem the internet disconnects for a minute then comes back on. Why is it so sensitive? The TV doesn't stop working and they both run off the same cable.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Railgun

As much as I hate this excuse, ESD.

Unless you're touching the jacket, then no idea.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
pcgeek11
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbogg View Post
So I have time warner cable, and if I as much as touch the cable going to my computer or move the modem the internet disconnects for a minute then comes back on. Why is it so sensitive? The TV doesn't stop working and they both run off the same cable.
They both run off the same cable however they are different signals.

Are you talking about the ethernet cable between the modem and computer or the coax between the wall outlet and modem?

Either way it sounds like a crappy cable or connector. Get a new ethernet or coax cable.

How to annoy a liberal: Work Hard and be Happy. In the words of John Smith who saved the Jamestown settlement: Those that don't work; will not eat. We need to learn from history.
pcgeek11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Cabletek

Default loose fittings sink packets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbogg View Post
You either have a them loose at a connection point and are breaking the connection/causing bad noise [reflections or just opening]as it causes an impedance mismatch, or you have a broken fitting, generally it would be a common point so if you have a 2 way splitter, I would suspects the jumper going to the wall from it.

the third and less likley situation is you broke the center conductor inside a cable and the movement is separating the pieces and reconnecting them back and foirth.

Safest fix get a new cable from a Time Warner tech, and tighten it with a pair of pliers or 7/16 wrench lightly do not try to break the fitting as they do break rather easily, weight of your arm is enough to tighten it, no muscle needed.

Simplest fix [somewhat risky without a meter to see whats going on], tighten the old wires with a pair of pliers or 7/16 open ended wrench. Most people cannot finger tighten cables, unles they do it for a living. Got to build up that torque over years. You can use one hand and gently move/shake the cable while twisting with the other and usually get further as the threads unbind and rebind back and forth but the wrench and weight of your arm works much better, IMHO.
Cabletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
MtnMan
Golden Member

crappy cable, crappy connectors, crappy splitter, or all of the above.
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."- Adolf Hitler
MtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
moonbogg
Diamond Member

OK I got a clue now. When I bend the ethernet cable going to the PC, the connection cuts out. The cable is sensitive it appears. I may try another, but i'm moving soon and will have Verizon fios and maybe i'll grab a new cable at that time. BTW, thanks for replies.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
nusyo

The ethernet cables are so cheap, and you'll be able to use it at the new location as well (I am not sure if they still supply you with Ethernet cable when you get a new modem)

I bet if you are to monitor your connection you get a bunch of retransmition requests