· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #126
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Is the touchpad really capacitive touch? I tried it out tonight and the response was pretty damn good. It's kind of bulky but it's actually pretty light.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #127
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0oG0oGaiPan View Post
Is the touchpad really capacitive touch? I tried it out tonight and the response was pretty damn good. It's kind of bulky but it's actually pretty light.
No its resistive
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #128
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
I read this from time to time and what does it mean? Should a new console not be released until ever last vestige of the current console's hardware and software is exhausted, tweaking it until it's perfect? Because that's never been the case for any PC, either..
No, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just pointing out that people are talking about a systems power, when they haven't tapped everything they currently have. Do you think a more powerful system is going to be easier to code for? Each generation seems to have gotten more difficult for 3rd parties to code for, except maybe for Xbox.

The World Needs a Reset Button.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #129
njdevilsfan87
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just pointing out that people are talking about a systems power, when they haven't tapped everything they currently have. Do you think a more powerful system is going to be easier to code for? Each generation seems to have gotten more difficult for 3rd parties to code for, except maybe for Xbox.
But everyone wants "Call of Duty Next Gen" !!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #130
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
I read this from time to time and what does it mean? Should a new console not be released until ever last vestige of the current console's hardware and software is exhausted, tweaking it until it's perfect? Because that's never been the case for any PC, either.Yeah, for one player For board games I could see it, though.I cannot speak from experience certainly but something I read this morning specifically said this is NOT true; it can charge and play at the same time.I have not found many wii u vs 360 or ps3 cross comparisons--what good links are there? BTW, the Xbox 360 is now SEVEN years old. I don't think a single person in this thread can say without a straight face that it's even at all acceptable for the wii u to have similar performance. It is telling though that now Nintendo's brand new offering can have a release along with 360/ps3. That speaks a great deal about its lack of performance for a 2012 console. The 720 (?) or PS4 within 1-2 years will embarrass their predecessors and by extension the wii u in performance. Nintendo has some proprietary titles, but once those systems are out it again won't be able to play the current best games.

I still see deluxe Wii Us available locally.
I found the ninja gaiden reference in a review on IGN. Here's what they said. Granted they only mentioned it in passing I think it's worth noting. The way I heard it put from someone I know who actually own it is had the game been released on the Xbox or PS3 in the state it appears on the WiiU that people online would have been picking it apart and would have been totally unacceptable. It's getting a passing grade in the WiiU because it's the first time Nintendo gets to be in HD and it's sort of a novelty, plus the game has lots of blood so it feels different even if it's overall a bit worse.

Quote:
Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch.

I think that overall Nintendo is going to find this a hard sell. I mean, core gamers want more than what Nintendo is offering. They've seen the graphics that the WiiU is capable of for going on 7 years now and the casuals won't pay $300 for a game system. It's not even graphics for the core gamers, more like...WHere's the announcement of a new Metroid or Zelda? Yeah it might be coming but we need reassurance. 3D mario? Something... They need something big and so far I am not seeing that on the radar. A touch screen is nice, but I can almost guarantee that the next Xbox will integrate your tablet or phone with Xbox SmartGlass and do more than the WiiU controller can. Plus, with them not offering a controller for sale as a separate item, what do we do if the controller drops and breaks? They aren't going to warranty it for accidental falls I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post
It runs games at about 35W, low power, but it shows. Just about every cross platform port is having issues. I hope the game pad gimmick is worth it, for $199 on black Friday you can purchase the PS3 with five games, huge catalog, BD playback, etc.
Amazon is selling a $270 Xbox 360 With Forza 4, Skyrim, 5 arcade games, 3 months of Live Gold plus an additional month free and a $10 instant video credit. That's a damn fine deal as well.

You're right though, Nintendo isn't doing itself any favors.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 11-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #131
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
No its resistive
ah that's what I meant. Works really good surprisingly.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #132
dagamer34
Platinum Member

I think you can only tout Mario and Zelda games to sell a console so many times... =/
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #133
Doppel
Lifer

I assume a second controller will be purchasable eventually, though definitely at least $100 and possibly $150 for the touch-screen one. It's reasonable to think that the significant added cost of the controller has had a direct impact on the grade of the hardware in the console itself. There's no reason a $300-350 Nintendo could not be as fast as the 360+7 years or ps3+6, but the reason it's not is due to either high margin on the unit or costs spent elsewhere (controller).

I think the thing will still sell decently because parents buying for their kids don't know or care much about hardware and Nintendo does have some games that aren't accessible elsewhere. I can't see myself buying one, but I'm admittedly very biased against Nintendos since I grew up. I just don't care for any of the games or graphics I've seen in recent memory. I have literally never played the Wii and not absolutely hated the experience and I'm not sure for me the U would be different, but I know some people love their Wiis.

Last edited by Doppel; 11-20-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #134
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

They need to get simpsons tapped out on this machine. That game is addicting
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #135
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
No its resistive
Ugg. I wish we could all just agree to stop using resistive touch screens. They're garbage and have always been garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad the Barbarian View Post
So basically the same concept behind the Dreamcast VMU is supposed to be the cornerstone of Nintendo's new console? This is some innovation worthy of Apple right here.
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, Sony has also had this capability for years (Remote Play) but never implemented it. Which is typical Sony. Good technology but poor/limited software support.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #136
Axon
Platinum Member

So early thoughts? Is the gamepad a gimmick or more than a gimmick?

i7 2600k @ 4.6/Gigabyte P67A-UD4/8 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws 1600/ASUS GTX 670 DCII TOP/OCZ Vertex 3 250 GB/WD Black 640 Gig HDD

No one wants to trade new stuff for old crap
Axon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #137
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
Ugg. I wish we could all just agree to stop using resistive touch screens. They're garbage and have always been garbage.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually, Sony has also had this capability for years (Remote Play) but never implemented it. Which is typical Sony. Good technology but poor/limited software support.
I thought the same thing until I tried it out. It's actually pretty nice.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #138
Dumac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axon View Post
So early thoughts? Is the gamepad a gimmick or more than a gimmick?
I actually love it.

I wasn't sold on the motion controls for the Wii, but I really like the tablet type controller. It allows you to do a lot of new stuff in games, and lends well to interesting local co-op.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #139
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumac View Post
I actually love it.

I wasn't sold on the motion controls for the Wii, but I really like the tablet type controller. It allows you to do a lot of new stuff in games, and lends well to interesting local co-op.
can you give some examples?
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #140
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
can you give some examples?
ZombieU seems to be one good use of it but too bad the game isn't good. I haven't played that game so I can't comment, just going by what reviews say.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #141
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

I could see the controller being a good fit for something like a rts/fps or a moba type game. MOBA Allstars melee maybe?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #142
Pheran
Diamond Member

Here's what I don't get about the touchscreen gamepad. When I play on a typical console (Xbox for example), my attention is completely focused on the screen and the controller is operated purely by tactile feel - an extension of my hands, if you will. By introducing a touchscreen on the controller, you have to look away from the screen - either to see whatever information is being presented, or to find a control, since there's no tactile feedback at all. In fast action games, taking your attention away from the screen is reasonably likely to get you killed. This is why the whole touchscreen controller idea seems monumentally dumb to me. I'm sure it could work OK in some games, but in general it seems like a terrible idea.

Heatware: Pheran
Pheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #143
ksheets

My Friend got the WiiU on Sunday and I played for a few hours on it. IMO this thing is worth no where NEAR $350. ZombieU was ok..I'm not really into those types of games but the controller seemed gimmicky to me. The graphics were...not very good on his 1080P LCD, shading effects seemed blocky and the black "eye" effect that circled the entire screen in ZombieU was annoying.

We also played the stupid pack in game and can I just say...the only thing I got from this was controller envy since my friend hogged the lcd controller the whole time and I was stuck with the gimp Wii motion. I can see a room full of drunk guys arguing over who gets to use the LCD and who gets stuck with regular controllers...

The ability to control the TV was nice and the social ascpects have potential. Netflix looked good, too bad no Hulu or Amazon. The screen was really responsive, I couldn't tell that it was a resistive screen. I can see the media options for the WiiU being kinda cool, eventually.

We also discussed what would happen if his four year old stepped on the screen and cracked it. It's something you have to really think about because a controller this expensive (~$150?) has never really been tied so closely to the console.

Anyhow, those are my WiiU impressions for what they're worth.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #144
Adrenaline
Diamond Member

Was at BB earlier and saw 8 deluxes and 3 non deluxes out for sale. I was tempted to buy one, but then I remembered I had not played the Wii in almost two years.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #145
ultralo

im really enjoying my wii u got 3 games plus the pack in...ac3,blops2,zombieu.....they all run and look good....there is some false statements going around.....i just dont see the issue with those games

Last edited by ultralo; 11-21-2012 at 02:52 AM.
ultralo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #146
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralo View Post
im really enjoying my wii u got 3 games plus the pack in...ac3,blops2,zombieu.....they all run and look good....there is some false statements going around.....i just dont see the issue with those games
The issue is on black ops 2 there are not enough mp players. And other games have been available for a while already
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #147
crisium

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/tekke..._producer.html

Quote:
"As far as graphical processing and such, it's not much of an issue. But as far as the CPU goes, the clock is kinda low.

"I guess they're trying to keep power consumption down so we have to come up with creative ways to get around that and that's taking a little bit of time." Asked if the Wii U CPU was slower than that of the Xbox 360 and PS3, Harada said: "Maybe a little bit."
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1687689...light_dev.html

Quote:
In fact, some games currently scheduled for release on the 360, PS3 and PC won’t be heading to the Wii U at all because of the differences in processing power. One of these titles will be 4 A Games’ Metro: Last Light. Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing. “[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” said Shishkovtsov to NowGamer.
So, WiiU: Good memory capacity, absolutely terrible memory bandwidth, good GPU (compared to PS360), slower CPU than 2005's Xbox 360?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #148
purbeast0
Lifer

so no one can give any examples of how the touchpad interacts with games to do all this new stuff?
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #149
tipoo

At 30mm2 the CPU is about as large as a single core Atom at 45nm, and it supposedly has three cores, also at 45nm. There's only so much you can do with a certain transistor budget, I'd be surprised if the cores with 1/3rd the transistor budget of one Atom core were more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
so no one can give any examples of how the touchpad interacts with games to do all this new stuff?
Inventory, sniping, asymmetrical gameplay, etc etc. Just look at what the launch games do with it.
tipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #150
ultralo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The issue is on black ops 2 there are not enough mp players. And other games have been available for a while already
how is it an issue when the whole system just came out....still yet to hit in uk and others...
ultralo is offline   Reply With Quote