Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Peripherals

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
The_Gabman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default 27' Questions

Hello to you guys!

So I am in the market for a monitor upgrade. Couple of years ago, I bought a 27' Sceptre monitor for 300 some. It has served me very well, but, in light of recent gaming endeavours, I am finally looking to change it. The basic problem with this monitor is that the refresh rate doesn't seem to be fast enough will gaming, and artefacts are very noticeable. For example, in Shogun: Total War, the graphics look outright ugly (colors don't look good + everything has this annoying halo. Check on another screen, doesn't do that. Also, playing F1 2012, there are clear moments when I can see that my car is doubled on the screen, when fast ovements are required, such as the menu.

Before, I used to live with it. Now though, I am looking ahead to the release of Rome 2: Total War (HUGE Rome fan) and absolutely want better performance. Now checking it out this afternoon, two models of very different price ranges stuck out:

http://ca.asus.com/en/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG278HE/

and

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 4236101CVF

Basically, I wonder if spending the money on a higher priced 3d compatible monitor is worth it, considering that I will not use 3D technology. Will it be worth it to pay more for that? Or would other models be able to do the job better gaming wise?

I am looking to spend max 500$ with taxes.

Here are my specs:

Core i5 2500k
16gb's ram
xfx 6870
The_Gabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
etrin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 620
Default

make sure read some reviews on the VG278HE.
Several sights just don't think much of it.
They took their $700 monitor and made a whoop de do 144 cheap oh look at that number and nothing else is much type of thing.

ALL 27 and 30 monitors are a rip off.
BIG price.

I found it funny when I got my 27 that I pushed it back on my desk to make it work for me. WAIT I now have the same size as the 24 I had closer.
etrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
The_Gabman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

So, basically, if I want top gaming performance, you would recommend a 24' monitor? If so, what kinda money and what brand should I spend my money on to get that performance? I know that the pixels will already be much smaller beacause of the resolution, so I am waiting for a suggestion. Will check it out on newegg also.

Thanks for the reply btw.
The_Gabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Eureka
Diamond Member
 
Eureka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,826
Default

I believe a 27" Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1440 is on amazon for $650 backordered right now. It's probably one of the best 27" monitors out there. Depends on what you want, really. It'll be 60Hz but it'll have the best picture quality out there.

Of course if you want pure gaming performance, a 120hz monitor will be better for you, but picture quality suffers as you don't have an IPS screen anymore.
__________________
San Francisco: ASRock Z87E-ITX | Intel i7-4770k | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Gigabyte WF3 7950
Honolulu: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8GB DDR2 800 | Sapphire HD4890
London: ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA | Intel Dual Core E7400 @ 3.1ghz | 2GB DDR2 667 | ATi X850 XT @ 540/590
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
The_Gabman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Yeah I guess that means like 700$ here in Canada. Well, it's just that i'm guessing that pretty much anything over 300$ would beat mine pretty well. It's just that I am kinda wondering if the choppiness would go away for 400$ 500$. You know, if you tell me, 700$ for that, i'll spend it. But if someone tells me that a 400$ option would get rid of that, i'd rather also spend elsewhere in my pc. But i'm guessing that it will be hard for me to know that without getting tests.
The_Gabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,829
Default

I wouldn't get a Dell 27". They have a very grainy antiglare coating.
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Spicedaddy
Platinum Member
 
Spicedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,108
Default

If it's mainly for gaming I'd look at 32" 1080p TVs. Something like this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...98846e060den02
Spicedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
VirtualLarry
Lifer
 
VirtualLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 26,112
Default

BestBuy has an Insignia (house brand) 42" LED LCD 1080P TV on clearance for $104 off ($295.99). It has several HDMI, and a DVI port.

Check your local BestBuy store's clearance list. It was on my local store's list.
__________________
Rig(s) not listed, because I change computers, like some people change their socks.
ATX is for poor people. And 'gamers.' - phucheneh
haswell is bulldozer... - aigomorla
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
SMOGZINN
Diamond Member
 
SMOGZINN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicedaddy View Post
If it's mainly for gaming I'd look at 32" 1080p TVs. Something like this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...98846e060den02
I can't understand why people keep suggesting something like that for a normal computer setup. The pixels are so big it is like staring at a kaleidoscope if you set it on your desk. You need to sit about 4-5 feet away from a 32' TV to make it bearable, and you are still not going to be able to read text with out getting a migraine.
__________________
"The open society, the unrestricted access to knowledge, the unplanned and uninhibited association of men for its furtherance? These are what may make a vast, complex, ever-growing, ever-changing, ever more specialized and expert technological world nevertheless a world of human community." - J. Robert Oppenheimer
SMOGZINN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
BTRY B 529th FA BN
Lifer
 
BTRY B 529th FA BN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,965
Default

27' = Twenty Seven Foot
27" = Twenty Seven Inches
__________________
Rig1: Xeon X5660 6core 32nm (2.8GHz stock), Asrock X58, Geforce 210 0db, Samsung 128Gb 840 Pro, Vertex2 100Gb, Cherry MX Blacks, 2009 Seasonic X 650w, Aluminum Full tower
Rig2: i7 970 6core 32nm @ 4.6GHz 1.4v, EVGA 760 Classified,
GTX 670, Samsung Evo 120Gb, Vertex LE 100Gb, Cherry MX Reds, Sidewinder X5, Enermax Revo 950w, Obsidian 800D
BTRY B 529th FA BN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Spicedaddy
Platinum Member
 
Spicedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOGZINN View Post
I can't understand why people keep suggesting something like that for a normal computer setup. The pixels are so big it is like staring at a kaleidoscope if you set it on your desk. You need to sit about 4-5 feet away from a 32' TV to make it bearable, and you are still not going to be able to read text with out getting a migraine.
Difference between 27" 1080p and 32" 1080p isn't that big, so what if you have to sit a few inches further? Text will be fine, and he said it was for gaming, not reading.
Spicedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOGZINN View Post
I can't understand why people keep suggesting something like that for a normal computer setup. The pixels are so big it is like staring at a kaleidoscope if you set it on your desk. You need to sit about 4-5 feet away from a 32' TV to make it bearable, and you are still not going to be able to read text with out getting a migraine.
I used a 32" Sony 1080p TV as a monitor. It was about 4 feet from my face. At that distance it's perfect. Color was better than any monitor, and the matte coating was very mild.
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
The_Gabman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Red face

Just to make it even clearer for you guys, i'm sitting at about 2 and a half feet from the 27 incher. It is also on a stand that is about 4 inches high, cause I have a non ajustable desk and the stand for the monitor is the wimpiest thing ever. Gives you a good idea for the setup. Two main reasons for the setup is that I need space for a steering wheel and any closer I have to look around with my neck.

Also, adding to this, I also already own a 40' lcd tv and I mainly do my programming on a portable computer (more practical for school). So basically I want a good option for gaming, that will not have the stuttering of my Sceptre screen. Like I said, in worse case, I would be ready to step down to a 24' and I woulld like it to be in the corner of 500$.

Just as a side note, it is mostly impossible for me to see them live, because i live in a small town where computer stores don't keep much stuff in stock. That is why I am going for reviews and forums.

Last, thanks for all the answers, sincerely very appreciated
The_Gabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Eureka
Diamond Member
 
Eureka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
I wouldn't get a Dell 27". They have a very grainy antiglare coating.
I have an ultrasharp and quite honestly I've never noticed the antiglare, even when I'm using a glossy screen next to it. Sure the colors are a bit muted compared to what they absolutely could be but I'd rather be able to see the screen instead of dealing with some of the high-gloss screens out there. Glossy screens only work if you can manage a blacked out room otherwise it's nothing but headaches. The IPS panels look great and they're tuned to what the colors should look like.
__________________
San Francisco: ASRock Z87E-ITX | Intel i7-4770k | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Gigabyte WF3 7950
Honolulu: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8GB DDR2 800 | Sapphire HD4890
London: ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA | Intel Dual Core E7400 @ 3.1ghz | 2GB DDR2 667 | ATi X850 XT @ 540/590
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
I have an ultrasharp and quite honestly I've never noticed the antiglare, even when I'm using a glossy screen next to it. Sure the colors are a bit muted compared to what they absolutely could be but I'd rather be able to see the screen instead of dealing with some of the high-gloss screens out there. Glossy screens only work if you can manage a blacked out room otherwise it's nothing but headaches. The IPS panels look great and they're tuned to what the colors should look like.
The grain doesn't mute color, it makes the image look... grainy. Not as sharp as glossy or mild matte. Samsung uses a mild matte now apparently.
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
The_Gabman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

After checking out my options well, I have found the ASUS PB278Q at 726$ (tax included). After checking out reviews, the only thing that bothers me is that I believe that my 6870 will probably not be able to power that kind of a setup. But I am keeping in mind that the game I will want to run full res is R2TW, and that means video card spending time in a couple of months.

Checking out reviews, it seems that with proper adjustements, this monitor would give me a much better result than my Sceptre. What are your thought on that? I am looking for something taht will at least cut my present response time issue.

Thanks for the answers
The_Gabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
naisanza
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gabman View Post
Hello to you guys!

So I am in the market for a monitor upgrade. Couple of years ago, I bought a 27' Sceptre monitor for 300 some. It has served me very well, but, in light of recent gaming endeavours, I am finally looking to change it. The basic problem with this monitor is that the refresh rate doesn't seem to be fast enough will gaming, and artefacts are very noticeable. For example, in Shogun: Total War, the graphics look outright ugly (colors don't look good + everything has this annoying halo. Check on another screen, doesn't do that. Also, playing F1 2012, there are clear moments when I can see that my car is doubled on the screen, when fast ovements are required, such as the menu.

Before, I used to live with it. Now though, I am looking ahead to the release of Rome 2: Total War (HUGE Rome fan) and absolutely want better performance. Now checking it out this afternoon, two models of very different price ranges stuck out:

http://ca.asus.com/en/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG278HE/

and

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 4236101CVF

Basically, I wonder if spending the money on a higher priced 3d compatible monitor is worth it, considering that I will not use 3D technology. Will it be worth it to pay more for that? Or would other models be able to do the job better gaming wise?

I am looking to spend max 500$ with taxes.

Here are my specs:

Core i5 2500k
16gb's ram
xfx 6870
If I were to spend $500, I would go for the largest monitor I could get.
naisanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.