Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
its the panorama mode in his camera thats doing that
Says ahrami did a mockup for him...
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #53
Anubis
No Lifer

ahh i missed that, then its the stitching software doing it as it looks just like what panorama mode on my phone does

as per you question about dual caps or a S2 id just call Jeff and ask him what he thinks for your space (asking in the AVS thread is also a good idea). as for the powered vs not powered comment all of the subs are powered but you can get the Ported Cap not powered if you want.
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #54
purbeast0
Lifer

ah okay. i'm not even sure exactly the difference between a sealed and a ported, as far as functionality so i gotta do some research on that.

and yea the picture is a panoramic shot from my wifes phone so it is using stitching software.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
iRONic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
Wanted the look of the screen floating in space** After more research though I'll probably have to paint others for reflection purposes but I'm not doing that until I get the screen and see how reflections are**
Gotcha.

I've seen pics of some HTs using that wall color/scheme and they look nice.

Dude on Klipsch forum's HT pics

My media room
iRONic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #56
purbeast0
Lifer

yea i kind of wanted to paint the ceiling black there, but i talked to my wife last night and she isn't that cool with that. and i think i kind of agree that having 4 colors in the room would be kinda odd (red, black, white, yellow) so i'm going to paint that other wall red as well as that portion of the ceiling. i'm hoping to get it started tonight. going to run to lowes now to check out the moulding for the white portion. went to HD yesterday and just want to compare the two.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #57
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

Quote:
well i ordered my screen, projector mount, and ceiling plate. went with an elite screen sable 120" screen for my screen.

i also decided that i'm going to do more painting in my basement. here is a mockup that Aharami did for me.

http://i.imgur.com/gdUcu.jpg

going to start on that this weekend most likely but not sure if i will start that soon.
Looking really nice so far.
Vdubchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #58
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubchaos View Post
Looking really nice so far.
thanks. i actually went and bought the moulding for the wall today at lowes so i'm hoping to get it in this weekend and start painting as well. not sure what i'm going to do with the light housings just yet either. i think im going to keep them white initially and see how it looks and if it's bothering me i will either spray them red or black. same with all of the other white pieces around lol.

wonder if i can spray the electrical fuse panel a flat black as well.

ceiling mount should be arriving today. i still need to get the pole that is going to go from the ceiling holder to the mount on the projector, but i was waiting to get that until after i knew exactly what size I needed.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #59
Shinytech

Definitely take a look at this post for reference speakers.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387083/li...rtion-speakers

At least for me personally playing reference is very important and playing it with headroom equally as important. That is an aspect of sound that really wows people.
And just for understanding...

Lets start with a 89db 1m/2.83v speaker with 8ohm impedance.
Say you sit 2M away, the output is now 83db.
for every 10db you multiply the power by 10.
93db 10watts
103db 100watts
Then x1.26 twice for the last two db.
104db 126watts
105db 158.76watts
That's beyond what your AVR can supply. And that's with no headroom.
And the surrounds.. which will also be required to produce 105db peaks, are only 84db sensitivity.
However, they wold be about the same if they are within 1M.

As for subs. Definitely consider building your own. It is a big learning process but the value is unbeatable. However, you wont go wrong with something from JTR or Seaton. Again you really want to be able to hit 120db in your room from your sub. This is reference LFE+bass management.

The more subs you use the easier a equal listening experience for everyone in your room. EQ can help but multiple subs is really important in a big room and should not be thought of as optional IMO.

Also have you looked into forms of room treatments? Broadband absorbers/first reflection points? Take a look here for some info... http://www.realtraps.com/art_basics.htm

As for all this sound stuff. Try to demo real reference level systems, including subs... Reference level subs that extend to ~10hz is also really something that will also blow people away.

Last edited by Shinytech; 11-16-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Shinytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #60
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytech View Post
Say you sit 2M away, the output is now minimum 83db.
fixed

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #61
purbeast0
Lifer

welp round 2 of the painting has begun!

http://imgur.com/a/I7T1W

it's kind of tough to paint cause it is dark over there lol. i'm going to bring a lamp down there for the next coat to help brighten it up a bit.

but i noticed BIG time just with this first paint, how much darker it is over there in that corner, which is perfect and exactly what i want

my screen arrives monday so i am HOPING to get 4 coats of this on by tomorrow night, but i'm not sure. not sure if i will have time to do the 2nd coat tonight. i finished around 8:30 and on the paint can it says to wait at least 4 hours before the next coat, which would be 12:30am, and it took a good 90 mins or so to do that first coat.

so we will see.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #62
purbeast0
Lifer

finished painting yesterday.

coat 3:

http://i.imgur.com/QIWTF.jpg

coat 4:

http://i.imgur.com/G29T1.jpg

i'm hoping to get all of the fixtures put back tonight but i'm not sure because i may be painting them as well. i found a red that matches pretty closely and i tested it out with one of the plastic covers that covers my water shutoff on the ceiling, so tonight i will see if that matches well. if it does i think i'm going to paint the light can trim the same color. i'll also paint the electrical panel cover if it matches too.

my screen comes today though so i really want to get it all done so i can mount it and mount my projector too. still need to find an 8" pole for my mount though which i hope i can do today. HD and lowes don't have the size i need unfortunately.

if i get it all cleaned up with the screen i'll post some pics. i'm hoping to at least get it done by tomorrow though.

i also hope i never have to paint another ceiling in my life.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #63
Anubis
No Lifer

lookin pretty good. Did you end up getting in contact with Jeff? i saw you posted in the JTR thread on AVS
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #64
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
lookin pretty good. Did you end up getting in contact with Jeff? i saw you posted in the JTR thread on AVS
nope not yet. he never got back to me. since i'm not going to purchase a sub in the real near future i'm not too concerned about it quite yet. but after doing a bit more research and from your recommendations as well, i am leaning towards JTR or Submersive for a sub. the local guy who i went and demo'd his klipsch speakers is REALLY into subs and knows A LOT so i talked to him a bit too and he is all for those brands too. he really wants me to go DIY but i don't really have the want or know how to do that to be honest. i just want to get a sub that thumps and works heh.

i ended up doing 1 more coat on my ceiling tonight. after putting the lights back in and seeing the room in normal color, there was still some unevenness from certain angles and just didn't look right in my eyes. my wife thought it looked fine until i pointed out some things to her. i think since it was a white ceiling and the wall was a yellow color, that the ceiling just needed an additional coat. it's drying right now so i will check it tomorrow after work. it definitely looks darker over there though which is great.

i also got my screen today, as well as the extension for my mount. had to leave work early to wait for the screen delivery, so i went to a local plumbing shop that carried the 8" pole i needed. i painted it flat black to match the mount as well. so i think tomorrow night and wednesday im going to build the screen and mount it, as well as the projector. i'm also toying around with painting some of the white items that are on the ceiling/walls.

i found a spray paint that is very similar to the red i painted (i realize i mentioned this above too). i tested it out by painting the plastic piece that covers my water shutoff valve on the ceiling, and put it back in the ceiling, and it looks good to me. im going to spray paint the vent as well as an empty receptical cover. also painting the electrical panel the same shade. for the time being i'm keeping the domes white, but i don't know, when i saw them in the ceiling on the red ceiling, it really sticks out, but that is mainly with the lights on. i'm just not too sure exactly how to paint them if i do because i don't know how deep inside the cone i should paint them.

but i will figure it out! i will post pics when i have it cleaned up a bit down there.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #65
s44
Diamond Member

As I've been saying, talk to Jeff about his speakers too.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #66
zCypher
Diamond Member

haha wow that is sick, the red looks awesome. thankfully it looks like these guys have you covered pretty well, cause i got nothin constructive to offer. cant wait to see how things turn out in the end!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #67
Anubis
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
As I've been saying, talk to Jeff about his speakers too.
got 5k burning a hole in your pocket?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440079/jt...-2-t8lps/0_100
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #68
purbeast0
Lifer

here is a crappy quality update pic.

http://i.imgur.com/ijOAs.jpg

the electrical panel was drying from being painted when i took that pic, so that is why it's missing there. there is a bit of touchup work again around the baseboards/window i need to fix (that damn tape didn't work quite as well as i hoped) but i'm going to do that when i paint the white mould i added to the wall between the yellow/red areas. it look white now but it's just primered and you can see the nails too.

still may paint the recessed light fixtures, they are bothering me being white on the ceiling as they just stand out a lot now. i also noticed when i took the fixtures out that i can actually put the light up a bit in there, which would make it so you can't even see the bulb. as far as painting them, i'm a little concerned about the paint getting too hot when up there.

tonight i plan to build my screen and mount the projector to the ceiling though, can't wait!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #69
purbeast0
Lifer

question for some of you again since the JTR speakers keep coming up.

as far as the JTR triple 8 or 12's, what center channel speaker would match with those speakers?

i was just doing some research and these speakers keep coming up as great speakers for both movies and music.

the only downside is that i don't really have any way to demo them and no way i'm going to buy stuff without demo'ing it.

i did get intouch with jeff from JTR in regards to a sub he would recommend and given my explanation of my setup he recommended the orbit shifter LFU. that thing is BIG though and I just don't know where to put it. i mean my plan was to put a sub or dual subs up next to the center channel below the screen, but that sub is huge so it wouldn't fit there, so i'm not sure exactly where to put it if i did get it.

i asked him if he had any way i could demo the triple 8/12 speakers and one of those subs so i'm waiting to hear back.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #70
Anubis
No Lifer

The Noesis 212s are currently on a demo tour, i believe they are hitting the east coast soon

post 5616
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/of...hread/5600_100

you are in the DC area if i recall so that may not be super close to you. now sure where they will go next. Jeff may be able to tell you.

As for your center question many people go with 3 of the 12s or 3 of the 8s, you can also do 12s as L/R and a 8 as a center any setup works, they all blend well with each other

i was actually curious if he would recomend the OS. it is a monster but it does have a massive downside in being HUGE

Last edited by Anubis; 11-21-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #71
vi edit
Super Moderator

Quote:
as far as the JTR triple 8 or 12's, what center channel speaker would match with those speakers?
You just put three of them across. The 8's will be more than enough for your room.

For subs I'd really look into Epik's "Dual Empire". It's a great value and the dual sub option gives you better flexibility in evening out room response. Bass is *really* weird in that it's highly affected by positioning. In my small setup that's only about 14' wide, just sitting on one side of the room vs. the other is a night and day difference in how the bass sounds if I only have one sub. And it's not even how you think it would work. If you are sitting in the back left of the room, you are hearing bass from the sub in the front right corner. It's really bizzare. So to account for that I need two subs in each corner that work for the opposite seating areas. Placing them on center under the screen resulted in kinda blah bass in both positions. I'm sure I'm corner loading and getting gain from that that's unnatural sounding, but it just works better for how I like my movies.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #72
purbeast0
Lifer

when people put 3 12's or 8's accross, do they lie down the center one on it's side? or do they generall have it behind the screen? i don't have a transparent screen and definitely can't have it upright lol.

as far as bass goes vi_edit, yea i know what you mean about placement. that is a concern i have personally too, however from the research that i've been doing, it seems that when you get into the upper end subs that while placement still makes an impact, that they are so powerful that the sound can get dispersed across the room simply because of the power. my $300 klipsch sub i have now in my living room i have in a corner, which i like because as you mentioned, you can get the wall bounce bass, and i like the rumble it provides as well.

everything i've heard, including the local "bass guru" who demo'd me his klipsch reference setup (the guy who builds his own subs and is an all around bass head) has said that the orbit shifter is one of the top subs you can purchase.

i did see on the website that you can place it lying down, however i don't know what kind of effect that would have in quality since it's designed to be standing up.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #73
vi edit
Super Moderator

$3000 for a sub the size and weight(if not more than) of a small fridge is a lot to swallow and a lot more to try and place in a room without being obnoxious. A couple empires (you are talking 60" of radiating surface here) well placed will suit all but the most obsessed bass heads. They aren't going to be digging towards single digit hertz like the OS can but you have to understand just how ridiculously large that thing is.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #74
vi edit
Super Moderator

The JTR speakers can be lined up either way you want. I can't remember if the axis is pivotable by the user or if you have to let them know when buying to tell them the position you'll have them sitting in.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #75
Anubis
No Lifer

you can lay the center flat

if using the normal coaxial drivers orientation should not matter, if using the new Noesis with the Horn you would have to rotate it 90 Deg if lying it flat IIRC. Jeff will do it when you order them as long as you let him know.

also if you want you can have the coaxial driver moved to the top on the T8s and T12s if you wanted

i will 2nd Dual emps being a great deal, Ive heard them as duals and they sound really good