· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
It should come with a charging cable in the box but not a "charging cradle" that some people use instead.
Says "The AC adapter is not included with the console, but the Nintendo 3DS XL is compatible with all previous 3DS, DSi and DSi XL power cables." in the description here. But maybe its just a UK thing.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Oh yeah...confirmed(i just looked it up). The 3DS XL in the UK does not come with it, while every other version of the DS does. For what they are charging it's outrageous to not include it especially since it's required to even use it. It does come with one in the US.

Terrible decision by Nintendo on this one.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Oh yeah...confirmed(i just looked it up). The 3DS XL in the UK does not come with it, while every other version of the DS does. For what they are charging it's outrageous to not include it especially since it's required to even use it. It does come with one in the US.

Terrible decision by Nintendo on this one.
I wasn't too bothered its just a big inconvenience if you don't notice that you need to order one separately.

Anyway still need to order some games. I'll get him a few new ones and then he can save his pocket money and order some second hand ones later (I'm guessing that there is a big market in second hand DS games).
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
exdeath
Lifer

He's still young, get him hooked on RPGs, create demand for RPGs in the upcoming generation lol.

Kids love fairy-tale stories right?

Radiant Historia is prob out of grasp for a 7 year old, but Golden Sun would be wonderful for his age.

Kingdom Hearts too.

Just pleast don't let him become mainstream fodder and become another drooling Call of Duty drone.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
He's still young, get him hooked on RPGs, create demand for RPGs in the upcoming generation lol.

Kids love fairy-tale stories right?

Radiant Historia is prob out of grasp for a 7 year old, but Golden Sun would be wonderful for his age.

Kingdom Hearts too.

Just pleast don't let him become mainstream fodder and become another drooling Call of Duty drone.
See this is my problem. I know nothing about Nintendo games. I have no idea what is available. I've never played with any Nintendo handhelds (hell, I dont think I've played any Nintendo consoles either).
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #31
exdeath
Lifer

Ill try and think of a list for you. I need to seriously think about what's appropriate and fun story wise for a 7 year old in terms of reading level, etc. The last thing I'd want to do is frustrate him with reading comprehension way over his head and shut him off from the genre forever. One good deep and enjoyable story and he will be hooked for life.

The Zelda games are definitely winners no matter what. The Pokemon games are supposed to be RPG like and are very popular but I personally have no experience there. Final Fantasy IV for DS is excellent as well and its a fine remake of Final Fantasy II on Super Nintendo which was the game that did me in. Good tragic and emotional story and classic good versus evil adventure and the text comprehension and battle system are both very basic and straight forward so they won't detract from the enjoyment of the game or be too hard for his age.

When exposing him to non mainstream genres and enticing him to try something different , there's a fine line between determining whether he really likes something because he actually likes it and respecting that, vs understanding that its all he knows because its been pushed in his face by mainstream media since birth.

More kids identify Spongebob than Link for example and that to me is just depressing.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-16-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Thing is, like any kid you can't really force them to like something. Either they come around to it or they don't. Kind of like sports.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #33
WelshBloke
Lifer

His reading level and attention span are pretty good. He's nearly finished the Harry Potter series of books, he'll happily sit and read for a couple of hours. I'm about to start him on some Terry Pratchett.

I suppose a story driven RPG would be ideal for him really.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Thing is, like any kid you can't really force them to like something. Either they come around to it or they don't. Kind of like sports.
Right, hence the fine line between knowing whether they genuinely like something from the bottom of their heart or if its just all they know because of mainstream influences.

Renting Final Fantasy Mystic Quest one weekend on a friend's peer pressure because it was "multiplayer rpg" was the best thing I ever did. Because it sparked my curiosity and I grabbed Final Fantasy II when I went back..... and thats how it all started. That was the end of me. I don't know why I never even looked at that box before then.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #35
Flacco

Some quality titles/series for the DS:

Kingdom Hearts, Mario (Paper Mario as well), Pokemon.

As far as other games it would probably help to know some of his other interests. IE tv shows etc
Flacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #36
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacco View Post
Some quality titles/series for the DS:

Kingdom Hearts, Mario (Paper Mario as well), Pokemon.

As far as other games it would probably help to know some of his other interests. IE tv shows etc
He's not massive on TV tbh.

Anyway I ordered him the Lego star wars and Lego Harry Potter games I mentioned earlier. As was said I think he'll like the Harry Potter one just for the setting.

I'll probably leave it at that and he can pick up some second hand ones after Xmas then.

Cheers guys you've all been a great help.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #37
Zodiark1593

If you're worried about the 3D effect impacting your kid's eyes, you can, in the settings, set a control that will disable the 3D effect regardless of slider setting. It can be code locked as well.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
WelshBloke
Lifer

Bump to thank everyone for the advice.

He was chuffed to bits about the 3dsXL and loved the games (particularly the Harry Potter one).

Cheers guys. :thumbup:
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #39
PrayForDeath
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post
Like Boxing Day in Canada? .
It's funny, but we also have Black Friday deals in Canada on the same day as the states even though Thanksgiving happens much sooner here.

PrayForDeath is offline   Reply With Quote