· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
stormkroe

Default the Droid DNA sold me.... on the Note 2

I've been holding out for a ling time now, mainly waiting on the J Butterfly to hit the Americas. I honestly can't see the DNA as a competitor to the Note 1 or 2, as the only thing that would make them cross-shop items is that they're huge.
A stylus, multi-window support, and aspect ratio really places the note 2 into mini-tab area, where the DNA seems to be a GS3 competitor (it's actually closer in size to the S3 than the Note2). I also think that SD card slot is the only thing keeping it from being a true galaxy S3 alternative (since we don't know battery life yet).
I think that the Note3 will probably have exynos 5 dual in it, and that's really the only SoC beside s4 pro I feel comfortable to get me through a year+ of 'power use'.
Do you guys agree? Have you heard of anything that actually gives the Note2 a run for its money?
Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Zink

Both are 16:9. The Note 2 is the only good phone at that size and with a stylus so get it anyway. The DNA has battery life equivalent to the S3 from the data that's been discussed in the DNA thread but you are right that it is closer to other smartphones than to phablets. I don't know what "power use" is but I'm sure next year everyone will have A15 phones that will be fast enough. Even S4 Pro in the DNA is a bit faster than the Note 2 but it doesn't matter.

If you like the Note 2 just get it, no one else can do giant screens as well as Samsung.
Zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
stormkroe

My mistake, I had just read (incorrectly) that the note 2 was 16:10. I'm really intrigued with the high end drawing apps for the note 2, I just wanted to be sure that the next best thing wasn't right around the corner before I commit.
Also, as far as soc goes, in paper s4 pro is more powerful than dual core A15 (cpu wise) so I'm very confident it will be a safe bet for at least a year.
So yeah, note 2 I s'pose. Looking forward to huge ebook pages without eye-nuking 'black' backgrounds at night.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
grkM3
Golden Member

I wished samsung put a dual core a15 in there note 2,I would of picked that up but Im waiting for the gs4 now
8GB Gskill 2200 7-10-7-1t
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
2 GTX 560TI in SLI
grkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Skurge
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkroe View Post
My mistake, I had just read (incorrectly) that the note 2 was 16:10. I'm really intrigued with the high end drawing apps for the note 2, I just wanted to be sure that the next best thing wasn't right around the corner before I commit.
Also, as far as soc goes, in paper s4 pro is more powerful than dual core A15 (cpu wise) so I'm very confident it will be a safe bet for at least a year.
So yeah, note 2 I s'pose. Looking forward to huge ebook pages without eye-nuking 'black' backgrounds at night.
Even on Paper, nothing really comes close to A15. Next year it will likely be on 28nm for samsung like Krait is Qualcomm so the gap should be even bigger.

Anyone know when 20nm will be available for SOCs? I can't imagine it wil still be in 2013.
Intel Core i5-4670K |MSI Z97-Gaming 5|32GB DDR3-1600|Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce CF [stock]|Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB|Corsair AX860 PSU|Corsair 750D|Windows 8.1 Pro|Samsung U28D590D|Logitech G27 Racing Wheel|Nexus 5 32GB
Skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
KB
Diamond Member

I do not wish to buy a phone without removable batteries and replacable SD cards.
Galaxy Note 2 and S3 have these features, Droid DNA does not.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
stormkroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
Even on Paper, nothing really comes close to A15. Next year it will likely be on 28nm for samsung like Krait is Qualcomm so the gap should be even bigger.

Anyone know when 20nm will be available for SOCs? I can't imagine it wil still be in 2013.
Krait wins on paper simply because its quad core vs a dual core A15. When exynos 5 hits quad core, the only chance krait has is to keep a higher clock.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Quote:
Krait wins on paper simply because its quad core vs a dual core A15. When exynos 5 hits quad core, the only chance krait has is to keep a higher clock.
With that sort of thinking, bulldozer is the best CPU ever.

Do any apps really scale performance with more than two threads?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Krait wins on paper simply because its quad core vs a dual core A15.
Just like T3 vs S4?

Pretty sure Exynos 5 actually thrashed the S4pro in real benchmarking anyway.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
MrX8503
Diamond Member

The Note 2 is advertised as a phablet, whereas the DNA is advertised as a smartphone. So if you're looking for a stylus and functions that support it, the DNA ain't it.

The DNA's competitor is more towards the GS3. The DNA has the screen and powerful SoC going for it. You won't get a more powerful SoC in a smartphone until 2013.

The drawbacks are of course the terrible battery life and no microSD. If you can overlook that, I think it's one of the best phones you can get.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
stormkroe

On paper, fellows, on paper. We don't have very good apples to apple's comparisons between s4pro and A15, due to inadequate benchmarks and different platforms (phone vs. tablet). Just calm down and think of Christmas.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Just like T3 vs S4?

Pretty sure Exynos 5 actually thrashed the S4pro in real benchmarking anyway.
Exynos 5 uses several times more power(let that sink in a bit) than the S4 Pro to hit its performance metrics.
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
On paper, fellows, on paper. We don't have very good apples to apple's comparisons between s4pro and A15, due to inadequate benchmarks and different platforms (phone vs. tablet). Just calm down and think of Christmas.
Is there an A15 smartphone? No. I don't see the point in bringing in the A15 when neither the GS3 nor the Note2 has one.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Wingznut
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
The Note 2 is advertised as a phablet, whereas the DNA is advertised as a smartphone. So if you're looking for a stylus and functions that support it, the DNA ain't it.

The DNA's competitor is more towards the GS3. The DNA has the screen and powerful SoC going for it. You won't get a more powerful SoC in a smartphone until 2013.
Exactly. I'm not sure why everyone wants to compare the DNA and Note 2. I suppose it's because the screen sizes are within 1/2" of each other, but that's where the similarities end. Overall size isn't very close.
Quote:
The drawbacks are of course the terrible battery life and no microSD. If you can overlook that, I think it's one of the best phones you can get.
I've read every review on the DNA thus far, and the battery life seems to be right in line with the GS3, perhaps a hair better. I wouldn't call that "terrible" at all.
Wingznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post

Where are you getting that the battery life is terrible?
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Jocelyn84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
Exactly. I'm not sure why everyone wants to compare the DNA and Note 2. I suppose it's because the screen sizes are within 1/2" of each other, but that's where the similarities end. Overall size isn't very close.
Regardless, there are tons of people, especially on Verizon, who are debating which of these two phones to get. Go look at the Verizon sections for either of these phones on any android forum (xda, AC,AF, etc.), and you will see the discussion on comparison happening.
You may think they're completely different and non comparable, but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way.
Jocelyn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/h...id-dna-review/ just to name one of many reviews saying the battery life is not so hot
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
KeithP
Diamond Member

Quote:
This is the internet, something that isn't the best is terrible.

From what I have read, the average smartphone user should have no problem going an entire day on one charge with the DNA.

However, there are many people that have much higher use cases for their phones. The DNA probably isn't for them.

-KeithP

Hoodies don't have zippers, chili doesn't have beans, the plane won't take off...deal with it.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
you2
Diamond Member

droid-life just published their review of the dna:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/19...id-dna-review/
-
They found the battery life to be a bit better than nexus 4; though it is not very scientific. The speaker was very good but they noticed issues with 3g/4g behavior in fringe area. To be honest with at&t LTE up in boston I'm sort of tempted to switch as verizon seems to have some weird issue with lte authentication across most of their devices.
you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

I've been looking towards the Note2 but when the J Butterfly was announced I was very interested. Sadly, the USA version, at least the one Verizon will have (DNA), only has a 2020mAHr battery and no uSD slot. This is a deal breaker for me and unless importing the J Butterfly is viable I will opt for the Note2 instead.

I've seen some reports the the battery life is terrible and others that say it's ... OK, none have been really good so I'd expect the battery to be less than ideal.

But, even more of a deal breaker for me is the lack of uSD slot. 16GB maybe fine for many, even most, but it aint even close to what I want.

I am likely to be going to Japan next month and if the battery life actually winds up being decent AND if the Japanese J Butterfly is compatible with Verizon I'd might be tempted to get the J Butterfly so I can have the uSD slot.

Brian
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stirling View Post
I've been looking towards the Note2 but when the J Butterfly was announced I was very interested. Sadly, the USA version, at least the one Verizon will have (DNA), only has a 2020mAHr battery and no uSD slot. This is a deal breaker for me and unless importing the J Butterfly is viable I will opt for the Note2 instead.

I've seen some reports the the battery life is terrible and others that say it's ... OK, none have been really good so I'd expect the battery to be less than ideal.

But, even more of a deal breaker for me is the lack of uSD slot. 16GB maybe fine for many, even most, but it aint even close to what I want.

I am likely to be going to Japan next month and if the battery life actually winds up being decent AND if the Japanese J Butterfly is compatible with Verizon I'd might be tempted to get the J Butterfly so I can have the uSD slot.

Brian
There is an international version coming out called the HTC Deluxe. That version may have the removable sd slot. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery considering the amount of technology in the screen (not just a 1080p screen).
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:
There is an international version coming out called the HTC Deluxe. That version may have the removable sd slot. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery considering the amount of technology in the screen (not just a 1080p screen).
Battery life is not irrelevant to me be it's not the deal breaker that the uSD slot is. If I were designing this phone it would have come with at least a 3000mAHr battery. I don't mind trading a mm or two thicker phone for one that lasts a full day of heavy use or three days of casual use.

It does smell very much like Verizon is behind the omission of the uSD slot and screw them if they are.

Any word on when the DLX international version is due?

Brian
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
stag3
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn84 View Post
Regardless, there are tons of people, especially on Verizon, who are debating which of these two phones to get. Go look at the Verizon sections for either of these phones on any android forum (xda, AC,AF, etc.), and you will see the discussion on comparison happening.
You may think they're completely different and non comparable, but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way.
when it was announced i compared the dna to the s3 and not the note 2, so yea it's going to vary. the stylus alone makes the note 2 a diff product all together for me.
stag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

The stylus, or s-pen, is the thing that truly differentiates the Note/Note2 from almost all other phones. If the Note2 and DNA were identical in all ways except for the s-pen it would be a no contest win for the Note2, but because it is that much bigger and the display is much lower resolution I've been tempted by the DNA.

If I could design a phone I'd want one about the size (l x w) as the DNA with a 5 inch 1920 x 1080 screen, but a bit thicker to hold a 3000mAHr batter and a stylus. Perhaps next year the Note3 will have a 1920 x 1080 display and Exynos-5 with, maybe, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage AND uSDXC slot. Such a phone would be killer but I kind of still think it should be a bit smaller, about 5 inches with minimum bezel. While I'm at it how about a finger print reader at the bottom edge of the phone near where the home buttons are but at the very edge.

Brian
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
AnitaPeterson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I do not wish to buy a phone without removable batteries and replacable SD cards.
Galaxy Note 2 and S3 have these features, Droid DNA does not.
Hear, hear!
These are all reasonable expectations in this day and age.
Any less, and you're becoming Apple!