Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
kogunniyi

Default Laptop for college and gaming under $2000 (preferably under $1500)

Hello:

I want a laptop likely to run games on "medium" settings for at least two years. Here are the models I am considering most:

(i) MSI GX60
(ii) Clevo p150em (670mx/675mx/7970m)
(iii) MSI GT60-0ne-249us (680m)

I would like to spend less than $1500. It's hard for me to justify not buying a desktop above that price point. However, the Lenovo Y580 and Alienware m14x have glossy screens; the MSI GE60 appears to have flimsy build quality; the MSI GT60 with 670m and 675m have mediocre price/performance; the Clevo models appear to have poor ergonomics, audio quality, and locked down BIOSes; I doubt that I can get a good deal on an Alienware m17x r4 (also, it's too heavy); my only major complaint about the MSI GT60-0ne is its price. The MSI GX60 looks best, but I don't know how severely the AMD A10-4600 CPU will bottleneck the HD 7970m in recent and future games.

In a word, I've learned that choosing a laptop is all about compromises.

Thoughts?
kogunniyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Zodiark1593

Yeah, choosing a laptop, there are bound to be compromises, unless you have a lot of cash. I feel for ya.

I'm going with the Alienware M18x myself as it is the only dual-gpu lappy that can also use the igp (3-4 hours on battery), so basically, I have one lappy for everything from college work, to mowing through games, to rendering videos. The only compromises being weight (not a big deal) and price (can probably haggle with sales rep, but still friggin expensive).

I'm trying to find a non-clevo laptop with a GTX 675MX to recommend, but it's not going well. That GX60 is probably the best one from a price/performance standpoint. Most games don't stress the processor too bad, so you should be alright even with something like BF3. I'd look up benchmarks and vids if I were you.

Last edited by Zodiark1593; 11-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
kogunniyi

I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a GX60 or GT60 with 680m.

Enjoy your M18x.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
NTMBK
Diamond Member

Have you considered getting an XBox instead? Consoles are inherently more social, I spent many evenings at uni sitting round with my flatmates, drinking a few beers and playing games on our consoles. Much nicer than holing up with my laptop for another few hours of Rome Total War.
NTMBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
tential
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogunniyi View Post
Hello:

I want a laptop likely to run games on "medium" settings for at least two years. Here are the models I am considering most:

(i) MSI GX60
(ii) Clevo p150em (670mx/675mx/7970m)
(iii) MSI GT60-0ne-249us (680m)

I would like to spend less than $1500. It's hard for me to justify not buying a desktop above that price point. However, the Lenovo Y580 and Alienware m14x have glossy screens; the MSI GE60 appears to have flimsy build quality; the MSI GT60 with 670m and 675m have mediocre price/performance; the Clevo models appear to have poor ergonomics, audio quality, and locked down BIOSes; I doubt that I can get a good deal on an Alienware m17x r4 (also, it's too heavy); my only major complaint about the MSI GT60-0ne is its price. The MSI GX60 looks best, but I don't know how severely the AMD A10-4600 CPU will bottleneck the HD 7970m in recent and future games.

In a word, I've learned that choosing a laptop is all about compromises.

Thoughts?
I know you're worried about weight but I just pried out a Sager laptop (based on the P170EM).

It's 8 lbs I think (don't quote me on that) and it came out to 1662 dollars. I got a GTX 680M for that. I really don't think you can beat that kind of value. Having the best GPU out in the 1600 dollar range is a steal. If you want you can take the 7970M (although from what I've read I don't really like this option) or you can take a weaker nvidia card if you really want to be under the 1500 dollar price range.

So you get a GTX 680M
Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
8GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)
500GB 7200RPM [Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache] - Default (SKU - S5R207)

for 1662 dollars. I think that's quite the steal. Shop around though it's black friday and it's a great time to buy. I'm highly considering it so I can play single player games in high quality graphics (possibly connected to my 70 inch LED TV with a controller one I figure out the logistics) but meh we'll see. I'm moving on from gaming in general.

Don't take my word for this though. I have been away from the PC scene from quite some time. I'm sure people will also recommend adding a SSD and will give you much more insight than I can.
tential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
ringtail

http://www.powernotebooks.com/config...p?special=1249

I love my Clevo (Sager).

Ifyou get a gaming computer then the power brick is going to make it be not all that portable.

In college focus on academics & expanding your ability to socialize...not on gaming.
ringtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
kogunniyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
http://www.powernotebooks.com/config...p?special=1249

I love my Clevo (Sager).

Ifyou get a gaming computer then the power brick is going to make it be not all that portable.

In college focus on academics & expanding your ability to socialize...not on gaming.
Similar thoughts have led me to look for laptops instead of gaming desktops. I know that the portability of desktop replacements is also suboptimal, but the MSI GT60 offers the best "package" of all the models I have researched. If someone can suggest a smaller laptop with good speakers, a good LCD, good ergonomics, good performance, and a good warranty, I'll look at it. The Clevo W110ER is interesting, but I think that it overheats and the keyboard is too small. Feel free to correct me.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Zodiark1593

Quote:
Similar thoughts have led me to look for laptops instead of gaming desktops. I know that the portability of desktop replacements is also suboptimal, but the MSI GT60 offers the best "package" of all the models I have researched. If someone can suggest a smaller laptop with good speakers, a good LCD, good ergonomics, good performance, and a good warranty, I'll look at it. The Clevo W110ER is interesting, but I think that it overheats and the keyboard is too small. Feel free to correct me.
Any properly designed laptop shouldn't overheat under it's own full load. Unless you decide to cover the vents, or the heatsink gets choked with dust, overheating should be a non-issue on decent laptops.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
kogunniyi

I think that I will buy the MSI GT60 with the GTX 680m. Does anyone have other thoughts? Clevo looks like a mess--poor speakers and headphone jack, poor keyboard rollover, poor quality control--and all of the Alienware models have glossy display covers.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
lakedude
Golden Member

Quote:
I think that I will buy the MSI GT60 with the GTX 680m. Does anyone have other thoughts? Clevo looks like a mess--poor speakers and headphone jack, poor keyboard rollover, poor quality control--and all of the Alienware models have glossy display covers.
I just bought a GT70 and I'm pretty happy with it. Only down side is that it is huge and heavy.

Sound is impressive, screen is good (not great but decent), screen is matte (which I prefer), multicolor backlit keyboard is awesome, CPU and GPU are very nice.

I guess it is a little tacky looking but I don't care about that.

I hope you like the GT60! That GTX 680m should be awesome!!
lakedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
roedar2005

good
roedar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote