Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > PC Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #601
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi View Post
Thinking we may see 5.1 on the 4th, definitely by the 11th unless something comes up.
My guess was a week before Dec. 4th. But yea, it will be within the next month for sure.

One change I hope they think about is the Renewing Mist hot healing monks use. Reducing it to 3 targets is dandy and all... except it can jump to pets. Which is a waste.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #602
Xonim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 577
Default

Got home from work last night, was minding my own business doing the planting/harvesting & ironpaw token quest on my other 90s, when suddenly I see "LFM Galleon." Log off immediately and swap to my mage.

Get invited to raid, there's 2 spots left. There was about 15 people there already, summons were still going, raid leader says "pulling in 10" "pulling in 8". So i start flying, I get there as he's at 95%, except the horde raid had tagged him. There's alliance EVERYWHERE. I know there was at least two full raids, I believe there may have been a 3rd full raid + half another.

We start clearing out horde and try to get him to reset, but getting 2-3+ raids to stop attacking him / AoEing / spreading dots, and THEN get them all to get away / out of range to get him to reset is a bit on the tricky side. He was down to 70% or so before we finally wiped the horde and reset him.

Then came a massive channelled AoE fest trying to all get the tags on him. Horde popped up here and there while we were fighting, but they were outnumbered 3:1 so it didn't do a whole lot of good. Killed him, gold cache, bonus roll, gold. BAH! Was a lot of fun anyway. Haven't had a pvp/world boss encounter like that since world dragons.

Joined a Sha group right after, got gold, and a drop! Except it was 483 pvp bracers, I already have 489 pve bracers and I don't really pvp on my mage. Ahh well. Might have to start, have 483 belt/bracers, and 3x 458 pieces from turning justice to honor. My rogue just has 4x 458 pieces, but rogues are terrible in pvp right now, so.........yeah.

EDIT: Both our healers were no shows for our raid last night (they're married IRL) until 40 mins after start time, and the 2nd was almost an hour late. By then we had cancelled. Going to run 4 hours on Sunday to try to get 4 bosses down again (was the plan for last night) and a few attempts on Elegon.

EDIT 2: I'm just assuming that my video card is why I stutter like all hell with that many people on the screen. It's only a 1.25GB 560ti 448. I would think that's the weak link, a 2500k @ 4.2 and 8GB RAM should be fine?

Last edited by Xonim; 11-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Xonim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #603
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonim View Post
Got home from work last night, was minding my own business doing the planting/harvesting & ironpaw token quest on my other 90s, when suddenly I see "LFM Galleon." Log off immediately and swap to my mage.

Get invited to raid, there's 2 spots left. There was about 15 people there already, summons were still going, raid leader says "pulling in 10" "pulling in 8". So i start flying, I get there as he's at 95%, except the horde raid had tagged him. There's alliance EVERYWHERE. I know there was at least two full raids, I believe there may have been a 3rd full raid + half another.

We start clearing out horde and try to get him to reset, but getting 2-3+ raids to stop attacking him / AoEing / spreading dots, and THEN get them all to get away / out of range to get him to reset is a bit on the tricky side. He was down to 70% or so before we finally wiped the horde and reset him.

Then came a massive channelled AoE fest trying to all get the tags on him. Horde popped up here and there while we were fighting, but they were outnumbered 3:1 so it didn't do a whole lot of good. Killed him, gold cache, bonus roll, gold. BAH! Was a lot of fun anyway. Haven't had a pvp/world boss encounter like that since world dragons.

Joined a Sha group right after, got gold, and a drop! Except it was 483 pvp bracers, I already have 489 pve bracers and I don't really pvp on my mage. Ahh well. Might have to start, have 483 belt/bracers, and 3x 458 pieces from turning justice to honor. My rogue just has 4x 458 pieces, but rogues are terrible in pvp right now, so.........yeah.

EDIT: Both our healers were no shows for our raid last night (they're married IRL) until 40 mins after start time, and the 2nd was almost an hour late. By then we had cancelled. Going to run 4 hours on Sunday to try to get 4 bosses down again (was the plan for last night) and a few attempts on Elegon.

EDIT 2: I'm just assuming that my video card is why I stutter like all hell with that many people on the screen. It's only a 1.25GB 560ti 448. I would think that's the weak link, a 2500k @ 4.2 and 8GB RAM should be fine?
Yea even my machine with gal/sha seems some issues. Just too many people and data processing going on in a small area.

But yea that sucks when healers are late/miss.

3 tokens a week just don't last long as I use them on Sha, Feng (until I get helm) and save the last one for will of the emp, or 1 of the HoF bosses.

I should find a weekend raid to heal with my other 90. As why the hell not. ya know?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #604
lupi
Lifer
 
lupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: duh, winning!
Posts: 25,509
Default

Going back through history, I think 20th and 27th are too close to the holiday to be considered.
__________________
Rift Free Trial:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #605
Phoenix86
Lifer
 
Phoenix86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 11,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
How did you get screwed out of loot on a boss?

And what are you refering to on QA?
There was some bug where if you wiped you were locked out of loot as if you had already rolled on it.
__________________
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. ~ Will Rogers
Phoenix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #606
Hacp
Lifer
 
Hacp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
And what are you refering to on QA?
QA means quality assurance.
__________________

Hacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #607
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacp View Post
QA means quality assurance.
I know that.

I ment what were you calling QA on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #608
Xonim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
Yea even my machine with gal/sha seems some issues. Just too many people and data processing going on in a small area.
Grabbed an MSI TF3 7950 for $320 before a $15 MIR. Figure I can sell the game codes for $80-90, and my 560ti 448 for $170 shipped, making it essentially a $60-70 upgrade. Not sure if it will solve those issues, but it can't hurt, especially with the performance increase that's being found with the 12.11 beta drivers.
Xonim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #609
Syrome
Member
 
Syrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 105
Default

Has anyone tried playing WoW at max settings with the rMPB? if so what are your FPS and temperatures when running Raids or what not. Any info would help. Thanks again!
Syrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #610
blackened23
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrome View Post
Has anyone tried playing WoW at max settings with the rMPB? if so what are your FPS and temperatures when running Raids or what not. Any info would help. Thanks again!
Native resolution (2880x) at max settings isn't gonna happen unless you don't mind terrible framerates, the GPU in the mbp is junk. You'll have to run at lower resolution.

Apple products are a poor choice for gaming, anyway
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #611
loki8481
Lifer
 
loki8481's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hudson County, NJ
Posts: 40,947
Default

god damn Moshgun Vaults LFR has gone downhill since Heart of Fear was released.

I still need one more sigil and a trinket from Elegon

stupid question -- I know the loot is randomized and you can even get duplicates, but will you ever get off-spec gear? wondering if I'll need to respec my shaman from ele to enhance in order to gear-up for enhance.

(currently I'm ele/resto... the problem is that all the gear is the same and I'm reforged/gemmed for elemental since I queue for pugs as DPS and only ever heal in guild raids. I'd love to switch my dps spec to enhance so I can refit my caster gear for healing, but it's hard to go from ilevel 480 in elemental gear to 402 in my enhance set. that said, it's unlikely I'll have the excess valor points to gear out in enhance gear like I have for my caster set)
__________________
Internet justice is swift and brutal, though not always applied equally or accurately. Still, the value of incinerating someone in a public forum should not be underestimated.
loki8481 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #612
Phoenix86
Lifer
 
Phoenix86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 11,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki8481 View Post
stupid question -- I know the loot is randomized and you can even get duplicates, but will you ever get off-spec gear?
No, it's the same system as quests. You have to respec to get the gear.
__________________
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. ~ Will Rogers
Phoenix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #613
loki8481
Lifer
 
loki8481's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hudson County, NJ
Posts: 40,947
Default

I was surprised at how easy Gruul's Layer and Magtheridon were to solo... although, I did have to heal on Mag.

I was going to ignore the one infernal that got summoned or chain lightning him down while focusing on Mag, but he was doing enough damage to be annoying. I think I was down to 60% at one point?

earth elemental was also nice for the first fight in Gruul's. the NPC's mostly focused on him while I burned down Priest -> Warlock -> High King... Gruul himself was a joke. couldn't have taken more than 30 seconds to kill him.

Karazhan also makes me laugh. my chain lightning one-shots all the adds on Moroes, and my fire elemental + flame shock solo'd Big Bad Wolf while I was polymorphed.

I still can't solo chess, though, which sucks because there's a drop off Prince I really want for transmog. I wish they'd just open the door past the chessboard and let people skip the event unless they want gear from it.

think I may try Al'ar tonight, though he scares me a bit since he's immune to fire.
__________________
Internet justice is swift and brutal, though not always applied equally or accurately. Still, the value of incinerating someone in a public forum should not be underestimated.
loki8481 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #614
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki8481 View Post
I was surprised at how easy Gruul's Layer and Magtheridon were to solo... although, I did have to heal on Mag.

I was going to ignore the one infernal that got summoned or chain lightning him down while focusing on Mag, but he was doing enough damage to be annoying. I think I was down to 60% at one point?

earth elemental was also nice for the first fight in Gruul's. the NPC's mostly focused on him while I burned down Priest -> Warlock -> High King... Gruul himself was a joke. couldn't have taken more than 30 seconds to kill him.

Karazhan also makes me laugh. my chain lightning one-shots all the adds on Moroes, and my fire elemental + flame shock solo'd Big Bad Wolf while I was polymorphed.

I still can't solo chess, though, which sucks because there's a drop off Prince I really want for transmog. I wish they'd just open the door past the chessboard and let people skip the event unless they want gear from it.

think I may try Al'ar tonight, though he scares me a bit since he's immune to fire.
I love soloing old raids.

Each week I solo (as DPS monk)...

Molten Core
Karazhan
Gruul
Magtheridon
Temptest Keep
Mount Hyjal

2-man with an ele shaman

Malygos
Vault of ancients
Naxx
Black Temple

8+

25man Heroic Ulduar



Still looking into the minimum I need to add Icecrown to that list, though the time constraints some dont happen each week, as I also do dailies, Pet battles and the weekly raids.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #615
loki8481
Lifer
 
loki8481's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hudson County, NJ
Posts: 40,947
Default

Al'ar ended up being pretty easy (just a pain because my DPS was so limited without being able to use fire spells)

Void Reaver, on the other hand.... ugh. I had to reset him and give up because I was perma-silenced. I might try respec'ing for enhance and trying again.

I didn't kill Kael'thas, just because it seemed like a pain in the ass from the strats and there's no real gear I want off him (outside of the mount that I'll never see drop anyways)
__________________
Internet justice is swift and brutal, though not always applied equally or accurately. Still, the value of incinerating someone in a public forum should not be underestimated.
loki8481 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #616
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki8481 View Post
Al'ar ended up being pretty easy (just a pain because my DPS was so limited without being able to use fire spells)

Void Reaver, on the other hand.... ugh. I had to reset him and give up because I was perma-silenced. I might try respec'ing for enhance and trying again.

I didn't kill Kael'thas, just because it seemed like a pain in the ass from the strats and there's no real gear I want off him (outside of the mount that I'll never see drop anyways)

He isnt that bad.

What you need to do is:

Phase 1

Kill each of the 4 advisors in a different corner of the room.

Phase 2

AoE weapons, when dead stand by the advisor you want to kill first (before the other 3 get to you) so that it is a much easier time dealing with all the CC

Phase 3

Kill the advisor you plan on killing first blowing all cooldowns if yoru dps is low (I advise between the engineer and the mage. Engineer toy random 4s stun can be annoying, and the mages 8s disorientation is a mess to deal with)

next kill the advisor giving the most trouble (on down until none are left)
*[I also advice proccing any/all pets this phase to help damage the advisors as they CC you like crazy. Because by the time you kill the first advisor the other 3 will have caught up to you.]

Phase 4

DPS boss. Use 0 things that have health bars and can be targetable by the boss, because if you do he will disorientate you, making you the non main target, then mind controlling you to reset the fight.

This means.

No pets, no totems, no trinket that procs pets, no ghost wolves as enhance, etc.

Phase 5

Repeat phase 4, just float around at times too.


Karazhan is my favorite as the monk. I just spin in circles as I run aoeing everything down. Then when I get to a boss "touch of death" and moving on.

King's Defender from Chess event, is an interesting sword equipped on a Panda.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #617
lupi
Lifer
 
lupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: duh, winning!
Posts: 25,509
Default

Has anyone ccreated a guide for soloing all those old raids?
__________________
Rift Free Trial:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #618
KidNiki1
Platinum Member
 
KidNiki1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi View Post
Has anyone ccreated a guide for soloing all those old raids?
i just check wowhead for strats
__________________
You needn't worry about your reward. If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive...Your friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything. Or anybody.

Be excellent to each other - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
KidNiki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #619
Xonim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 577
Default

Chess is soloable (unless they broke it in the last few months), but it's a pain in the ass because it's as much luck as it is skill. I think it took me 8-10 attempts the only time I've solo'd it. Didn't get what I wanted off prince, never bothered going back.

I think I need to start doing HoF LFR's next week, my gear level has fallen behind that of other members in my normal 10 man raid. My dps hasn't improved much other than rotation stuff, but theirs seems to have jumped a bit. I've been playing alts more instead of doing dailies and LFR and such, the last couple weeks I've only had 225 VP's / week, including what we got from downing 4 bosses/week in MV10.

Although, that being said, I'm not sure I'm going to continue raiding. I've decided I dislike being chained to WoW for 3 hours straight. I mean, I'd probably play anyway, but I like to afk a lot and stuff. We'll see, not sure the raid is going to last anyway.
Xonim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #620
StrangerGuy
Diamond Member
 
StrangerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
I love soloing old raids.

Each week I solo (as DPS monk)...

Molten Core
Karazhan
Gruul
Magtheridon
Temptest Keep
Mount Hyjal

2-man with an ele shaman

Malygos
Vault of ancients
Naxx
Black Temple

8+

25man Heroic Ulduar



Still looking into the minimum I need to add Icecrown to that list, though the time constraints some dont happen each week, as I also do dailies, Pet battles and the weekly raids.
I havent touched WoW for 1.5 years but I'm sure they nerfed the gold in those right?
StrangerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #621
loki8481
Lifer
 
loki8481's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hudson County, NJ
Posts: 40,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
I havent touched WoW for 1.5 years but I'm sure they nerfed the gold in those right?
yeah... my half-clear of Tempest Keep last night only yielded about 100g between boss drops and vendored items.
__________________
Internet justice is swift and brutal, though not always applied equally or accurately. Still, the value of incinerating someone in a public forum should not be underestimated.
loki8481 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #622
Sixguns
Platinum Member
 
Sixguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NM
Posts: 2,030
Default

I cant get pass the chest event. It bugs me that I can clear everything but that. I wish they would let you skip it and go to prince. That is the only old raid that I have tried to solo. A buddy and me did clear ICC up to the LK but couldnt get him down. That was at 85 so I wonder how much of a change it will be at 90.
__________________
Go big or go small...
XBL- xX 6guns Xx

Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #623
loki8481
Lifer
 
loki8481's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hudson County, NJ
Posts: 40,947
Default

personally...

MC - trivial but time-consuming
BWL - can't solo Razorgore
AQ20 - trivial
AQ40 - can't solo past Twin Emps (and some side bosses gave me difficulty)
KZ - trivial except chess
Magtheridon - trivial
Gruul's - trivial
TK - trivial-ish (Kael doesn't sound difficult, but more involved than "do dps until things die")

and that's the extent of my solo raid experience as a shaman... never tried SSC since there's zero gear in there I want.

tons of stuff in BT I want, but the first boss seems like a tough solo and I've heard that Reliquary is still impossible due to fight mechanics (like Twin Emps and Razoregore)
__________________
Internet justice is swift and brutal, though not always applied equally or accurately. Still, the value of incinerating someone in a public forum should not be underestimated.
loki8481 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #624
Xonim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki8481 View Post
personally...

BWL - can't solo Razorgore
and that's the extent of my solo raid experience as a shaman... never tried SSC since there's zero gear in there I want.

tons of stuff in BT I want, but the first boss seems like a tough solo and I've heard that Reliquary is still impossible due to fight mechanics (like Twin Emps and Razoregore)
They've mentioned that it's a possibility they do something to razorgore to make it soloable. Not sure how that'd work, but it was in a blue post a couple months ago that it's been brought up. I'm thinking Chromaggus might still be tough to solo, though I haven't been in there at 90 to see if a single dps could down him before you get turned and it resets.

SSC is soloable, though Vashj is tricky. I tried 3-4 times on my mage, and the last time got her to ~5% before I died. I'm sure I could've gotten her next time, but a ret paladin was corpse running in at the same time I was, we both were there for vashj, so we just joined up. Soloable as ranged, probably extremely difficult as melee, but much much easier with 2.

BT is a joke with just 2, as long as one is a rogue. May need 3-4 for RoS if at least 1 doesn't have a 15 sec CD interrupt, otherwise it will just slowly kill you. The other difficult fight is the one right before illidan, can be tricky just due to damage taken. I ran it a few times with me (rogue) and a prot paladin, and we didn't have problems on RoS, but on council I almost died a couple times even with 80%+ uptime on Recuperate. We had problems when I was on my priest, so I just brought my rogue in from RoS through council and swapped back for illidan (got my glaives already).

Last edited by Xonim; 11-19-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Xonim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #625
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
I havent touched WoW for 1.5 years but I'm sure they nerfed the gold in those right?
Yes for the vanilla and BC raids. Wotlk raids still has decent gold.

However I do it for the transmog stuff, for fun and for rep.

Mostly for fun. Its a hoot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.