· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #26
Dari
Lifer

OLED lags SLCD in terms of power efficiency, color accuracy, high resolution, etc... Not sure why anyone would want it. I heard some people adjust their phones around the screen in order to take advantage of its advantages. That ultimately means black texts, black backgrounds, etc... How depressing.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
OLED lags SLCD in terms of power efficiency, color accuracy, high resolution, etc... Not sure why anyone would want it. I heard some people adjust their phones around the screen in order to take advantage of its advantages. That ultimately means black texts, black backgrounds, etc... How depressing.
I'm assuming that you mean white text on black backgrounds?

White text on black backgrounds is fantastic for reading text only like eBooks. I do it whether I'm using OLED or not. It does look better on OLED than LCD though.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post

White text on black backgrounds is fantastic for reading text only like eBooks. I do it whether I'm using OLED or not. It does look better on OLED than LCD though.
Is it better than black text on white background?
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #29
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:

I can't stand it.
http://www.ironicsans.com/owmyeyes/

My eyes strain drops when you flip it back to normal. I think this whole inverse color thing is a terrible fad and OLED just pushed it some more (better blacks and better battery life in that mode so now everyone wants to do it)
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by TuxDave; 11-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDave View Post
I can't stand it.
http://www.ironicsans.com/owmyeyes/

My eyes strain drops when you flip it back to normal. I think this whole inverse color thing is a terrible fad and OLED just pushed it some more (better blacks and better battery life in that mode so now everyone wants to do it)
It's hardly a fad. Go open a cmd prompt in Windows and tell me what it looks like. :p

I find it much more restful on a tablet or phone than having a big white light shining in my face. It's even better if you can set the type colour to off white as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
It's hardly a fad. Go open a cmd prompt in Windows and tell me what it looks like. :p

I find it much more restful on a tablet or phone than having a big white light shining in my face. It's even better if you can set the type colour to off white as well.
Oh sorry what decade am I in again? Command prompt? lol. Fads can be going old school you know. Or in this case going to inverted colors somehow make thinks look more high tech and old school becomes new school. Whatever suits you but it's clearly a fad in my book.

When I do my work in Unix i override the colors to get black text on tan background. It helps my eyes a ton! If your eyes like it, go for it.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #32
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Oh sorry what decade am I in again? Command prompt? lol. Fads can be going old school you know. Or in this case going to inverted colors somehow make thinks look more high tech and old school becomes new school. Whatever suits you but it's clearly a fad in my book.

When I do my work in Unix i override the colors to get black text on tan background. It helps my eyes a ton! If your eyes like it, go for it.
Use whatever suits you, but to describe something that has been done for decades and continues to be done, a fad, seems like a strange usage of the term.

It's nothing to do with looking high tech or old school, I just don't like having a torch shone in my eyes when I'm reading.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Use whatever suits you, but to describe something that has been done for decades and continues to be done, a fad, seems like a strange usage of the term.

It's nothing to do with looking high tech or old school, I just don't like having a torch shone in my eyes when I'm reading.
Coal power has been around for decades and it's still used. I would question why coal suddenly becomes super popular over alternatives, wouldn't you? I just look at the PC and internet today and I'm so thankful that the web is black text on white and not the archaic white text on black. (I'd even take white text on dark blue over black x100000. As that website mentioned earlier, I guess somehow it reduces the ghosting effect). I tried using the default white text on black and my eyes wanted to stab itself after 2 hours of work. You need SOME color on the blackground or else you get so many ghost images as your eyes pan across the screen.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #34
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Coal power has been around for decades and it's still used. I would question why coal suddenly becomes super popular over alternatives, wouldn't you? I just look at the PC and internet today and I'm so thankful that the web is black text on white and not the archaic white text on black. (I'd even take white text on dark blue over black x100000. As that website mentioned earlier, I guess somehow it reduces the ghosting effect). I tried using the default white text on black and my eyes wanted to stab itself after 2 hours of work. You need SOME color on the blackground or else you get so many ghost images as your eyes pan across the screen.
Are you saying that using coal is a fad? I'm questioning now if we are having a fundamental difference in our definitions of the term fad.

We are also not talking about using it on a 24 inch monitor, we were talking about phones.

Again, use what you like, options are good. I was just pointing out to Dari why some people use dark themes. There's no need to try and convince others that only one way is the correct one.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Are you saying that using coal is a fad? I'm questioning now if we are having a fundamental difference in our definitions of the term fad.

We are also not talking about using it on a 24 inch monitor, we were talking about phones.

Again, use what you like, options are good. I was just pointing out to Dari why some people use dark themes. There's no need to try and convince others that only one way is the correct one.
It's a (poor) attempt at an analogy to show that things that existed in the past, became less popular, and then became popular even though the initial problems have not been resolved, is a type of "old school" fad.

I don't really care to convince you, I just posted some opposing opinion and some examples for people to use and determine what they want. I think people do a lot of things that I disagree with but there's no real benefit to me to convince all of them otherwise.

I used the example post on my phone and it still causes strain on my eyes. So monitors, phones, tablets. I prefer non inverted colors because of that stupid ghosting effect.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
It's a (poor) attempt at an analogy to show that things that existed in the past, became less popular, and then became popular even though the initial problems have not been resolved, is a type of "old school" fad.

I don't really care to convince you, I just posted some opposing opinion and some examples for people to use and determine what they want. I think people do a lot of things that I disagree with but there's no real benefit to me to convince all of them otherwise.

I used the example post on my phone and it still causes strain on my eyes. So monitors, phones, tablets. I prefer non inverted colors because of that stupid ghosting effect.
It's all personal taste, why would you even begin to want to convince people to change? It's like trying to tell people they are using the wrong colour wallpaper on their phone.

Seems a weird thing to get worked up about that people use a different background at times.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Samsung has made a 720p full-RGB Super AMOLED HD display in a Tizen developer phone earlier this year, they just didn't want to stick it into the GS3.

I also think they are saving all of their abilities to increase PPI for resolution jumps rather than using an RGB stripe, because advertising your phone has 1080p is a lot sexier than advertising RGB stripe, which every LCD screen already has to begin with.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #38
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
It's all personal taste, why would you even begin to want to convince people to change? It's like trying to tell people they are using the wrong colour wallpaper on their phone.

Seems a weird thing to get worked up about that people use a different background at times.
I don't get worked up on it. Otherwise I would actually care to convince you otherwise.

So all the pentile nonsense made me go into a Verizon store to reevaluate my opinion. Is it visible still? Yeah, but only if you're looking for it and basically you have to look at text edge sharpness to spot it right away. It used to be so stupidly obvious on panning pictures but I have trouble seeing it there now. I probably would've been bugged by it....

.... Except the sgs3 had something new to take the "stupidly obvious" crown. I opened the browser and nothing comes close to white. It's all a light blue! That's insane and enough for me to put it down.

Last edited by TuxDave; 11-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
I don't get worked up on it. Otherwise I would actually care to convince you otherwise.

So all the pentile nonsense made me go into a Verizon store to reevaluate my opinion. Is it visible still? Yeah, but only if you're looking for it and basically you have to look at text edge sharpness to spot it right away. It used to be so stupidly obvious on panning pictures but I have trouble seeing it there now. I probably would've been bugged by it....

.... Except the sgs3 had something new to take the "stupidly obvious" crown. I opened the browser and nothing comes close to white. It's all a light blue! That's insane and enough for me to put it down.
Then don't buy one then, no ones trying to convince you.

You seem to be having a problem with people liking different things.

Last edited by WelshBloke; 11-18-2012 at 04:16 PM.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #40
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Something don't buy one then, no ones trying to convince you.

You seem to be having a problem with people liking different things.
I have no idea why you are getting agitated. I am probably the person who gives the least crap to people regarding purchases. If we are debating pre-purchase things, yeah i will jump in. Once a purchase is done, who cares. If it's not going to kill them I REALLY don't care.

Calm down, it's just gadgets.

Last edited by TuxDave; 11-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
ChronoReverse
Platinum Member

Sounds to me you're the one getting worked up here.

In any case, for paper, black on white is easier on the eyes but in terms of eyestrain on glowing screens white on black has the advantage.

But with the _fad_ of making things that are digital have the appearance of real life things (like faux leather and real page flip animations), imitating paper is a nicety used ever since Windows.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
I have no idea why you are getting agitated. I am probably the person who gives the least crap to people regarding purchases. If we are debating pre-purchase things, yeah i will jump in. Once a purchase is done, who cares. If it's not going to kill them I REALLY don't care.

Calm down, it's just gadgets.
I'm not agitated, the OP has already said he likes Samoled screens. Banging on about you not liking them seems like borderline trolling.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #43
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
I'm not agitated, the OP has already said he likes Samoled screens. Banging on about you not liking them seems like borderline trolling.
He had concerns on pentile and I added my opinion on it. He said he liked over saturated colors and that was cool with me. Don't get so eager to label trolls.

Admittedly the black on white thing was a big rathole but you can't say that I was 100% at fault for that tangent.

Last edited by TuxDave; 11-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #44
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Sounds to me you're the one getting worked up here.

In any case, for paper, black on white is easier on the eyes but in terms of eyestrain on glowing screens white on black has the advantage.

But with the _fad_ of making things that are digital have the appearance of real life things (like faux leather and real page flip animations), imitating paper is a nicety used ever since Windows.
I really hate the faux leather. Maybe if it was black leather but the brown leather drives me nuts.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #45
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
He had concerns on pentile and I added my opinion on it. He said he liked over saturated colors and that was cool with me. Don't get so eager to label trolls.

Admittedly the black on white thing was a big rathole but you can't say that I was 100% at fault for that tangent.
OK then I'll tell you how to get rid of the blue hue in the internet app. :p

Go to settings, power saving and untic background colour.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:

Oh yeah. Leaving this thing on makes it look INSANELY bad.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #47
MrX8503
Diamond Member

When I code, I use black backgrounds. Everything else I like white backgrounds. For e reading I like e-ink or sepia tone.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #48
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Oh yeah. Leaving this thing on makes it look INSANELY bad.
Yeah! That's what I thought! The last time I saw something that bad was when the back light on the laptop screen was dying. I was thinking "is this a joke or something?"

Quote:

Thanks. Wish I knew this about a month ago. A friend asked me for advice regarding a new phone and the choice was iP5 and OneX. I was surprised and asked him why the SGS3 wasn't in the race for consideration and it was that very same blue hue that bothered him a lot. I can't blame him. I guess Samsung would have to come up with some method to mitigate the power efficiency when displaying white but as much as I like battery life, I would have to pass on this. You kind of wish at least the DEMO unit would have it off to showcase the phone at its best.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #49
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah! That's what I thought! The last time I saw something that bad was when the back light on the laptop screen was dying. I was thinking "is this a joke or something?"

Thanks. Wish I knew this about a month ago. A friend asked me for advice regarding a new phone and the choice was iP5 and OneX. I was surprised and asked him why the SGS3 wasn't in the race for consideration and it was that very same blue hue that bothered him a lot. I can't blame him. I guess Samsung would have to come up with some method to mitigate the power efficiency when displaying white but as much as I like battery life, I would have to pass on this. You kind of wish at least the DEMO unit would have it off to showcase the phone at its best.
Well if the blue hue was there that means that they had all the power saving options on so they obviously not bothered about showing it off. Given the sales figures you can't really blame them, they are pretty much walking off the shelves on their own.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #50
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Quote:
He had concerns on pentile and I added my opinion on it. He said he liked over saturated colors and that was cool with me.
That and I really like how it washes out less in the sunlight.

I would buy an OLED TV tomorrow if they made them in big enough sizes.
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote