Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Console Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member
 
Pr0d1gy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where I want.
Posts: 7,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
He didn't play Honda, but he had an assortment of cheap tactics at his disposal for other characters. For instance with Dhalsim, when he was close he'd middle punch you (upward chop), then middle grab. Since Dhalsim had the reach advantage, other characters couldn't use the throw to counter because they were out of range. He'd then continue to repeat that (chop, grab, chop, grab), and when the other player finally wised up (Ryu for instance) and tried to counter with an uppercut rather than a throw after the chop, he'd anticipate it and block instead of going for a throw. He'd then grab Ryu after he came down from his uppercut and repeated the process (chop, grab, chop, grab, block, grab, etc). Holy crap did that piss off people.
Never fails, someone will always find a way to exploit the game for a cheap win I guess. I used Blanka myself, but I've seen people do the bullet corner lock with E Honda a lot. Not so much the Dhalsim one though, of course it may not have worked so well against Blanka. Who knows? Man that seems like a lifetime ago.

Great username btw, my favorite movie of all time. "It's all in the reflexes."
__________________
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is RIGHT. -MLK, Jr.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35504
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #27
Maximilian
Lifer
 
Maximilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,839
Default

Ive been smack talking moms, backstabbing allies and being a general douche since ~2000



__________________
>2014
>sig line limit of 90 characters
Maximilian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
Never fails, someone will always find a way to exploit the game for a cheap win I guess. I used Blanka myself, but I've seen people do the bullet corner lock with E Honda a lot. Not so much the Dhalsim one though, of course it may not have worked so well against Blanka. Who knows? Man that seems like a lifetime ago.
Well Blanka just had a problem getting in on Dhalsim. But yeah, it worked on Blanka too.

It's funny though, when we all played SFII back then, it was great. Now after playing SFIV, the original SFII feels SLOW as hell. It's like I'm playing in slow motion. Funny how you adapt to things so quickly.

Quote:
Great username btw, my favorite movie of all time. "It's all in the reflexes."
Yep, definitely a classic.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
Ive been smack talking moms, backstabbing allies and being a general douche since ~2000



Noob.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Fighters today are no different. Some characters have infinite juggles and you can win without the opponent even touching the ground. They are not that easy to pull off but still
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #31
Ns1
Lifer
 
Ns1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: A Warm Place
Posts: 42,751
Default

I'm pretty sure I started talking shit as soon as I met my first spawn camper.
__________________
Racing KT to NoLifer...a true race to the bottom. I WILL NEVER CONCEDE TO A CANUCK.


Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
Ok yeah you're right there are some awesome single player games. They are just easily overshadowed and forgotten by the trillion ton gorilla known as vs mode FPS that are shoved down our throats.

But even the good single player games are shoe horned into either cookie cutter shooters or hack and slash molds even if the story and single player experience is decent.

I used to be all about the graphics and technology but every day I think more and more perhaps the jump 3D is the worst thing to happen to games. 6DOF but we are stuck with the same repetitive game play.

Friends warned me and I was like no way, 3D shooters for everything is awesome! But I think they were right all along.

I really don't know how to explain my feelings on the subject. I confuse myself some times. I mean I've spent tens of hundreds of hours in Fallout 3 and Borderlands and they are both of the shooter mold I have so much disdain for so I'm not really sure what it is I don't like about modern games.
overshadowed by who?

if someone wants to play single player games, there are TONS and TONS of them out there that are quality that one who wants to go play them, can go play them.

all of your posts act as if because there are a ton of multiplayer focused games, that there are no quality single player games, which is 100% false.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
No shit. Fighting games brought out all the trash talkers. It was fun though.
the fighting genre now a days though, people share tactics all over the place. it is extremely competitive, but the best of the best also share tactics because they like the way the games evolve overtime. it is like a cat and mouse game that never ends.

definitely different than what exdeath was talking about the whole fps genre, where people just talk shit and there really are no tactics to share, which is true as well.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
the fighting genre now a days though, people share tactics all over the place. it is extremely competitive, but the best of the best also share tactics because they like the way the games evolve overtime. it is like a cat and mouse game that never ends.

definitely different than what exdeath was talking about the whole fps genre, where people just talk shit and there really are no tactics to share, which is true as well.
Yeah I used to seek out some of the top players at SSFIV tourneys if I could find them online and have them help me with frame timing and all that. Most of the time I failed terribly but they were at least willing to give me a chance to get it before they destroyed me lol.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #35
American Gunner
Platinum Member
 
American Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,398
Default

I have ran into less trash talking ever since they introduced the party chat feature on XBL. But I find it funny that people try to act like they are better than someone because of their choice of video games. Congrats, you are better than Joe Dbag because he only plays shooters and you only play action adventure games. There's something to brag about.
American Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Gunner View Post
I have ran into less trash talking ever since they introduced the party chat feature on XBL. But I find it funny that people try to act like they are better than someone because of their choice of video games. Congrats, you are better than Joe Dbag because he only plays shooters and you only play action adventure games. There's something to brag about.
I like people who think Angry Birds is gaming. So funny to tell them what The Legend of Zelda is and they're fascinated "You can do that in a game?".
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #37
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Yeah I used to seek out some of the top players at SSFIV tourneys if I could find them online and have them help me with frame timing and all that. Most of the time I failed terribly but they were at least willing to give me a chance to get it before they destroyed me lol.
i'm not talking about online necessarily though, i'm talking about at local gatherings. i've played against some top players in person, especially the top local people, and after they own my ass they will answer any questions i have for them as to what i was doing wrong and what not.

in fighters you WANT your opponent to be as best as they possibly can, because that is how you will get better - by facing better players.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
i'm not talking about online necessarily though, i'm talking about at local gatherings. i've played against some top players in person, especially the top local people, and after they own my ass they will answer any questions i have for them as to what i was doing wrong and what not.

in fighters you WANT your opponent to be as best as they possibly can, because that is how you will get better - by facing better players.
That goes for any game. You never get better at a fps game by playing your sister or better at StarCraft by playing your 8 year old cousin.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #39
Leopardos
Senior Member
 
Leopardos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 266
Default

I live in the middle east, i join EU servers in every game i play online...
I dont hear this stuff ...

Before i bought Xbox , they told me go to PS3, Xbox has many idiot kids ...
Let me tell you , in the past year i didnt hear a single kid ..

Wanna know why? Because EU>US !!

Its the US community to be honest ..
Im not saying that just to make any one mad , its my point of view as i see while playing ..
Leopardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardos View Post
I live in the middle east, i join EU servers in every game i play online...
I dont hear this stuff ...

Before i bought Xbox , they told me go to PS3, Xbox has many idiot kids ...
Let me tell you , in the past year i didnt hear a single kid ..

Wanna know why? Because EU>US !!

Its the US community to be honest ..
Im not saying that just to make any one mad , its my point of view as i see while playing ..
Oh brother...I used to play with Italians and French players in MMOs, UK too. Just as bad as the US players. Korean players even worse.

Don't give me that...every region has the same problems. The issue is that in some other countries their parents are just a bit more strict so you don't have 13 year olds screaming at you because you know how to aim and they don't. In the US things are more lenient and gaming is cheaper too so more people have access. The North American Market is the #1 gaming market in the world because it's more acceptable here to play games than in some other parts of the world and much cheaper.

There are bad attitudes everywhere, not just the US. Don't give me your EU > US bs.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #41
exdeath
Lifer
 
exdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
overshadowed by who?

if someone wants to play single player games, there are TONS and TONS of them out there that are quality that one who wants to go play them, can go play them.

all of your posts act as if because there are a ton of multiplayer focused games, that there are no quality single player games, which is 100% false.
All the franchises I ever cared for have been turned into run and gun linear tunnel action games stuffed with action event cut scenes to appeal to the CoD masses.

I don't care for just "good quality" or "polished games", I want once in a lifetime substance. The kinds of games that stay in the top 5 best ever list 20 years later. All the greatest games ever made lists are still dominated by 16 and 32 bit era titles, thats the epicness I want in a game.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-16-2012 at 08:46 AM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
All the franchises I ever cared for have been turned into run and gun linear tunnel action games stuffed with action event cut scenes to appeal to the CoD masses.

I don't care for just "good quality" or "polished games", I want once in a lifetime substance. The kinds of games that stay in the top 5 best ever list 20 years later. All the greatest games ever made lists are still dominated by 16 and 32 bit era titles, thats the epicness I want in a game.
I think what you want won't happen. Japanese gaming is all but dead these days. Developers in Europe and North America dominate the gaming space. Square, Konami, Namco, Capcom even Nintendo in some circles of thought are really almost irrelevant.

The money is in games that sell to North America and right now (and as far as I can tell, the future) the types of games that you're talking about aren't selling.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #43
BD2003
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 16,765
Default

Make everyone anonymous, and give everyone a stage by including a mic in the box...and the worst of people come out.
BD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #44
Geosurface
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,778
Default

I remember the earlier days of gaming fondly but there are some fun things about games today too. I stick mostly to single player stuff but I also play a fair amount of Counter-Strike Global Offensive on PC and have played CS since 1.2, not religiously... sometimes more seriously than others. I play some StarCraft 2 on occasion, and played Diablo 3 when it first came out.

I've just lately been trying out a bit of Halo 4 online play.

I have all voice communications entirely, completely turned off in all online games.

I hate the little foul-mouthed 13 year olds, and have hated them for years. They were problematic in the mid 90's in Quake 1 etc, typically they had to stick to text... and it wasn't AS bad, but they've been there for a long time.

You just do your best to soldier on, ignore them, using mute functions or just mentally ignoring them, and you don't let them take over your games you've been playing longer than them by driving you out. Or you do.

I've played Halo multiplayer since the first one in 2001, it's changed a lot and I don't anticipate playing Halo 4 for very long... I don't like it as much as how the earlier ones felt, it's too fast paced and hectic now... but maybe that's partly just me getting older. Whatever... if I stop playing it will be for my own reasons, not because I let those little shits drive me away.

I would never advocate rules against them saying what they want to, etc. If there's one thing I hate more than foul-mouthed, uncouth, stupid little fuckers... it's the whiny politically correct thin-skinned overly-feminized people who always constantly expect that someone's going to save them from having their feelings hurt.

Both groups are equally odious to me. Why can't there just be more mature, male old school gamers who don't stoop to the trash talk level, but ALSO don't let it get to them? Who just smirk at the immaturity knowingly, and move forward? Who don't file complaints and try to get people banned either?
Geosurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #45
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

i think you have a point but I remember people doing trash talk in a way that wasn't annoying or so offensive. Now it's just about how foul and rude you can be.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #46
BD2003
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 16,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
i think you have a point but I remember people doing trash talk in a way that wasn't annoying or so offensive. Now it's just about how foul and rude you can be.
I dont remember those days at all. Even back in the xband days, people where you had a direct connection over modem, people with caller ID would literally call your house back to talk shit and curse you out. In the Quake/CS days, people would type horrible, horrible things. I never knew so many people fucked my mom. First time I went on xbox live, I got called a cotton picking ******.

Its never been civilized.
BD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #47
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2003 View Post
I dont remember those days at all. Even back in the xband days, people where you had a direct connection over modem, people with caller ID would literally call your house back to talk shit and curse you out. In the Quake/CS days, people would type horrible, horrible things. I never knew so many people fucked my mom. First time I went on xbox live, I got called a cotton picking ******.

Its never been civilized.
I never saw that back in the day unless someone started mouthing off then it got retaliatory.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #48
Soundmanred
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Czelktik, Uzbenistaz
Posts: 10,664
Default

Yup, it's aways been that way. Especially if you played competitively.
__________________
Nothing like doing a little meth and defending the honor of lions on the internet. NOTHING.
Soundmanred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #49
BD231
Diamond Member
 
BD231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardos View Post
I live in the middle east, i join EU servers in every game i play online...
I dont hear this stuff ...

Before i bought Xbox , they told me go to PS3, Xbox has many idiot kids ...
Let me tell you , in the past year i didnt hear a single kid ..

Wanna know why? Because EU>US !!

Its the US community to be honest ..
Im not saying that just to make any one mad , its my point of view as i see while playing ..
So true, chinese players on diablo three are chill as ice. Give u gear show u trix n tipz bring u along even if ur having issues with certain mobs. American servers got the same snot nosed white boyz I use to drag across the pavement on recess in grade school. Thats wat sucks about the internet, people who would typically get their shit pushed in act like they run sht, boss situations and show case a complete lack of intuition.

Bullies arent on the internet, its people who get bullied in real life that flock to such titles then treat others the way they get treated.
__________________
2550k @ 4.7 - Gene-Z ROG - 7970 - 8gb @ 2133

DEATH TO GANGSTALKERS. MAY YOU ALL DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH.
BD231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #50
Sulaco
Platinum Member
 
Sulaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,648
Default

They've always been there.


I used to play Jedi Knight and Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear semi-competitively online.

This was in 1998-1999, MSN Gaming Zone, EVERYONE was on dial-up, and NOBODY had a Mic.

People TYPED bullying bullshit. It's not as obnoxious, obtrusive, or annoying as hearing a pubescent 14 year old gargle something about you being a "f*ggot c**k sucker" over the noise of his bursting pimples, but the INTENT was still the same.

Often times, if you scored a kill or won a match, you'd see "OMFG U bitch" typed across the top. Or "cheat". "wtf fuck u".

It doesn't have the same impact hastily typed, silently, across the top of the screen. But the intent was still the same.

And of course, "team killing" and general trolling were alive and well.

All the more reason "online multiplayer" with strangers has about as much appeal to me as Botulism.
Sulaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.