Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Mxylplyx
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,539
Default Republicans, please explain the Behghazi outrage to me

I see fox news and some of my conservative associates go on and on about Benghazi, but for the life of me I cant see what the supposed conspiracy is based on. Usually a conspiracy is based on a motive, ie "Bush the oil man wants Iraq's oil". In the case of Behghazi, it seems to me that Republicans noticed that there were some conflicting messages coming out of the state department over the motives for the embassy attack, and started constructing a conspiracy around that. Given the proximity of the Libya attack with the Egyptian embassy attack that supposedly WAS related to the video, it doesn't seem all that implausible to assume they were related, though the state department should not operate off assumptions. What concrete facts have come out so far that suggests that this is some kind of cover up, as opposed to simply negligence? Also, do you believe that fox news being the only news organization to relentlessly cover this confirms their claims of a liberal media bias, or is fox news simply driving a story it's readers would like to believe?
Mxylplyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,251
Default

Yeah I've been wondering since this started what the end game here is?

I mean is it that the administration
May have tried to pawn it off on the video while knowing it was a terror attack?

Is that it?
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Gonad the Barbarian
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,958
Default

People died, Obama lied, and that's way worse than the other way around.
__________________
Say No to job-killing regulations and Yes to people-killing jobs!
Gonad the Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
halik
Lifer
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 24,953
Default

Manufacturer outrage and distraction to real issues. See Terry Shiavo, War on Xmas etc
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,992
Default

President lied, people died.
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,992
Default

A man was thrown in jail as a political prisoner.
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

How much was lied about to protect the administration and ensure the chance of a second term.

Everytime a new piece of info was revealed by sources to the public; the administration spun a different story.

On the surface the admin reaction seems to be designed to put off any disclosure until after the election and minimize/deflect what was exposed as twisted and irrelevant.
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,152
Default

"Black guy won" nuff said!
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
tydas
Golden Member
 
tydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleKeeper View Post
How much was lied about to protect the administration and ensure the chance of a second term.

Everytime a new piece of info was revealed by sources to the public; the administration spun a different story.

On the surface the admin reaction seems to be designed to put off any disclosure until after the election and minimize/deflect what was exposed as twisted and irrelevant.
So, what exactly was being hidden?
tydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleKeeper View Post
How much was lied about to protect the administration and ensure the chance of a second term.

Everytime a new piece of info was revealed by sources to the public; the administration spun a different story.

On the surface the admin reaction seems to be designed to put off any disclosure until after the election and minimize/deflect what was exposed as twisted and irrelevant.
So it's the fact it happened near election time? The fact they may have tried to spin the negative press and points to minimize impact to the campaign?

I'm just trying to understand.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piasabird View Post
President lied, people died.
Wouldn't it be more in line with people died and the president lied?
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
tydas
Golden Member
 
tydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus503 View Post
Wouldn't it be more in line with people died and the president lied?
What he lie about?
tydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad the Barbarian View Post
People died, Obama lied, and that's way worse than the other way around.
You have to be smarter than this.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Agent11
Diamond Member
 
Agent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,535
Default

It's just a disgusting politicization of a tragic event. About par for the course for Republicans.
__________________
-11
Agent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus503 View Post
So it's the fact it happened near election time? The fact they may have tried to spin the negative press and points to minimize impact to the campaign?

I'm just trying to understand.
The above is what I believe.

The administration screwed up due to a flawed policy of appeasement related to the Arab spring.
As a result people died.
The administration then tried to cover up the flawed policy and spin multiple and conflicting tales on what actually happened and when it happened.
For every story that they tell, to close a hole; it opens up another.

It seems to have been a stonewall to not allow the people to know the failure of the administration.

Have they so little faith in the american people? Not very open or transparent.
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
CycloWizard
Lifer
 
CycloWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 12,349
Default

Obama's response was simple obfuscation: he didn't want to be culpable for a terror attack shortly before an election. I don't see this as particularly damning against him. Instead, it simply coincides with his norm of "translucent" government in which he promises transparency but everything he gives us is horribly scattered and distorted. This would hurt his credibility with ardent Democrats if they really cared about government transparency but in the end, people only seem to care about the opposition being transparent: they have complete faith that their guy will do the right thing. The irony is that, if he were doing the right thing, then there is no reason for a lack of transparency in the first place.
__________________
"Somewhere, in a parallel universe near you, people read books, scientists are treated like rock stars, and beer is not sold in 30 can value packs." --Sign in a bar in Muncie, Indiana

Anything is possible when you don't know what you're talking about.
CycloWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleKeeper View Post
The above is what I believe.

The administration screwed up due to a flawed policy of appeasement related to the Arab spring.
As a result people died.
The administration then tried to cover up the flawed policy and spin multiple and conflicting tales on what actually happened and when it happened.
For every story that they tell, to close a hole; it opens up another.

It seems to have been a stonewall to not allow the people to know the failure of the administration.

Have they so little faith in the american people? Not very open or transparent.
Please explain this flawed policy of appeasement. Give some examples and explain how they would have caused this situation.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
emperus
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloWizard View Post
Obama's response was simple obfuscation: he didn't want to be culpable for a terror attack shortly before an election. I don't see this as particularly damning against him. Instead, it simply coincides with his norm of "translucent" government in which he promises transparency but everything he gives us is horribly scattered and distorted. This would hurt his credibility with ardent Democrats if they really cared about government transparency but in the end, people only seem to care about the opposition being transparent: they have complete faith that their guy will do the right thing. The irony is that, if he were doing the right thing, then there is no reason for a lack of transparency in the first place.

So you believe that they thought the true story wouldn't have been leaked. That Obama is that incompetent he would believe that Fox News and Romney wouldn't then try to politicize it when the truth came out. Or there wouldn't be any leaks in the Military Complex that favors Republicans? And seeing Romney's initial overreaching outburst on it, when it eventually came out they lied there wouldn't be hell to pay.

Or is it easier to believe that there was some covert CIA action going on that the CIA/military was somehow trying to spin as not to cause collateral issues elsewhere.
emperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,992
Default

What didnt the president lie about?

Petreus said what rice was given was talking points.
Petreus said that the CIA knew it was a terrorist attack within 24 hours.
Part of the testimony was a video they showed at the security Breifing. I kind of wonder what video was presented.

The big question is why did the president Lie?
Why does the President always give aid and support to our enemies?
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.

Last edited by piasabird; 11-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
waggy
No Lifer
 
waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 63,922
Default

the outrage? people died. it could have been prevented. there was no excuse for allowing them to get killed. they could have gotten protection or pulled them out. that is bullshit on how it went down.

as for president lieing yeah..he is a politician. until he is under oath and does it not much people can do.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Matt1970
Lifer
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 10,510
Default

Obama just made a speech where he said Al-Qaeda was on the run. This attack pops up and instead of dealing with it appropriately which could have been a big victory for Obama, he decided to do nothing and then afterwards blame it on a YouTube video that had been out for months. If it worked he remains the defeater of Al-Qaeda. Besides, you can’t question anything the President does. That makes you a dog-whistle racist, liar and America hater.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Agent11
Diamond Member
 
Agent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,535
Default

You guys make me sick. Keep trying to manufacture a scandal, it speaks volumes for your character.
__________________
-11
Agent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Phokus
Lifer
 
Phokus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 21,024
Default

It's because the GOP has nothing and they're grasping at straws. General Petraeus already destroyed Fox News' conspiracy theory about the timing of his resignation and him having to testify.

http://www.politicususa.com/david-pe...-benghazi.html

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/11...ks-his-silence
__________________
"No muslims, no athiests, no gays"-Spidey07
"600 bucks to curb stomp a liberal? SO worth it."-Spidey07
"The problem is if you follow typical liberal logic on sex rape shouldn't be a big deal. If sex isn't a big deal why is rape?"-nehalem256
Why racists vote Republican
ATPN has become such a shithole, conservatives even advocate for genocide.
Phokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
CycloWizard
Lifer
 
CycloWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 12,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperus View Post
So you believe that they thought the true story wouldn't have been leaked. That Obama is that incompetent he would believe that Fox News and Romney wouldn't then try to politicize it when the truth came out. Or there wouldn't be any leaks in the Military Complex that favors Republicans? And seeing Romney's initial overreaching outburst on it, when it eventually came out they lied there wouldn't be hell to pay.

Or is it easier to believe that there was some covert CIA action going on that the CIA/military was somehow trying to spin as not to cause collateral issues elsewhere.
So your argument is that he's an honest idiot rather than a smart liar? I care very little about this "scandal" but from what I've read, it seems very clear that he knew what was going on well in advance of his press conference and made a calculated decision: I think he knew more people whose votes might be altered by this issue were watching his press conference than watch Fox News. It was a shrewd political decision. Democrats will pretend that he didn't know because they believe he has a lot of integrity (he doesn't) while Republicans will harp on the issue because they were unable to effectively use it against him to turn the tide of the election. In the end, I have little use for either group and simply call it how I see it: Obama did what he had to do just as Romney would have done in the same situation.
__________________
"Somewhere, in a parallel universe near you, people read books, scientists are treated like rock stars, and beer is not sold in 30 can value packs." --Sign in a bar in Muncie, Indiana

Anything is possible when you don't know what you're talking about.
CycloWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Jaskalas
Lifer
 
Jaskalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18,067
Default

The administration tried to frame an innocent American who still remains in jail.
__________________
"Governor Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that Al-Qaeda is a threat.
Because a few months ago when you were asked ‘What’s the biggest geopolitical threat facing America?’ you said Russia!
Not Al-Qaeda, you said Russia and the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back
because... you know... the Cold War has been over for 20 years."

-President Obama, 2012 debate.
Jaskalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.