· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #226
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Also when you go with a performance cable make sure to get the longer ones as they increase benefit of electrical noise filtration. 8ft would be good, more expensive though.
Yes exactly. That's why my power cables are up to 10 meters long.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #227
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
The amount of ignorance in this post is astounding. I linked you to a list of metals ranked in order of conductance, and gold is number 3 in the list.

Here, I'll link it again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...ious_materials

English ************, do you speak it?
It doesn't matter if it's 3rd, it's far from 2nd. Gold is a poor conductor for audio, that's why everyone uses either silver or copper.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #228
AudioTruth

Quote:
Oh- reminds me - do you turn your cell phone off? Cell phones can interfere with audio too.
Yes, cell phones are always off. Last month I switched to a corded phone and corded network cable to get better sound. I need to tweak network cable soon.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #229
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioTruth View Post
It doesn't matter if it's 3rd, it's far from 2nd. Gold is a poor conductor for audio, that's why everyone uses either silver or copper.
No, no one uses silver or copper for connectors, because it's dumb. When copper corrodes, it creates cupric oxide which is NOT a conductor. When silver is combined with sulphur (which is in the environment) you get an insulator.

More than that, silver is brittle - copper is malleable. This is why you see very few silver cables and TONS of copper cables. But whatever, enjoy your snake oil.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #230
Knavish

I find it shocking that so many so-called audiophiles worry about things like power cables when they have neglected the very atmosphere in which their equipment runs. A low level physics course covering electromagnetic teaches of electromagnetic permittivity and permeability; or in other words, the inherent inductance and capacitance of all materials. The different gasses in the atmosphere have different values for permittivity and permeability, and the atmospheric pressure and water vapor content make these variables change with the weather, time of day, etc. Even the vacuum of space itself has nonzero permittivity and permeability.

These atmospheric variables are essentially the same as someone attaching variable inductors and capacitors between all the electrical wires within my audio components. As an audio fanatic, I knew this must be distorting the sound. I commissioned a special vacuum enclosure for all my equipment, rated to a maintain 10^-7 Torr vacuum. Unfortunately, vacuum pumps are noisy and the lack of atmosphere also presents problems with heat dissipation. Instead, I use 0.99999 pure gases to purge the interior of this vacuum enclosure to regulate the operating atmosphere of my equipment. This can make dramatic differences in the atmosphere, for example, a hydrogen atmosphere has a scientifically measurable 4x lower permittivity than CO2.

I would not claim to have golden ears, perhaps pyritical is a better adjective, but I can tell you that the sound is both clairvoyant and transcendent. It really imparts a tonal rapacious ennui that I found lacking when running my equipment in a normal atmosphere.

Last edited by Knavish; 11-16-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #231
AudioTruth

Quote:
No, no one uses silver or copper for connectors, because it's dumb. When copper corrodes, it creates cupric oxide which is NOT a conductor. When silver is combined with sulphur (which is in the environment) you get an insulator.

More than that, silver is brittle - copper is malleable. This is why you see very few silver cables and TONS of copper cables. But whatever, enjoy your snake oil.
You keep mixing up connector with conductor all the time. I said that everyone uses silver or copper for conductors. And for connectors, people use gold plating to prevent oxidation.

The best connector I have found is the Furutech FI-11 (Cu), pure copper connector without any plating, because it makes it so neutral sounding. I like it better than Furutech FI-50 in most cases. When using plating, it adds a coloration to the sound. Rhodium gives fake detail, and gold smears away everything. Unplated is the best!

Furutech applies a special oxidation inhibiting coating to the copper connectors of FI-11 (Cu).
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #232
styrafoam
Platinum Member

Okay, I have a serious question. If you have an eargasm from the realization of or listening to microdetail, would it be ok to call it a microgasm? If this is a new concept I plan on getting a patent, $500 if you use the word in a post, if you are on the pre-order list it's only going to run you $375 per usage.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #233
Pacfanweb
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
Yep, I knew that and typed the exact wrong thing anyway. Silver is the best conductor. Gold is easier to form and shape and doesn't corrode.

"One of the reasons I left Sabbath is Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." Ozzy
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #234
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Yep, I knew that and typed the exact wrong thing anyway. Silver is the best conductor. Gold is easier to form and shape and doesn't corrode.
Silver makes it silky, open, lean, thin, smeared, clean and detailed. The bass size is reduced which emphasizes the high frequencies. I like copper more, it is more neutral from top to bottom, and more powerful. But it has an edgy sound character that isn't as silky as silver.
I found a way to convert copper to silver with crystal formulas. Silkiness of silver with the power of copper!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #235
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Quote:
I found a way to convert copper to silver with crystal formulas. Silkiness of silver with the power of copper!
No, the Aliens figured it out and you copied them.

You know, I was really hoping by 2012 all this sound stuff would be purely digital like video is with HDMI so all this snake oil crap would just go away....
Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #236
skriefal
Golden Member

That would do nothing to get rid of the snake oil peddlers. Just look at the $500 USB cables from Audioquest, or the $1000 HDMI cables. If someone wants to hear a difference, they'll spend these insane prices to convince themselves that they're getting a difference.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #237
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
That would do nothing to get rid of the snake oil peddlers. Just look at the $500 USB cables from Audioquest, or the $1000 HDMI cables. If someone wants to hear a difference, they'll spend these insane prices to convince themselves that they're getting a difference.
It works the other way too. Skeptics spend insane amount of years to convince themselves that cables make no difference, so that they don't need to spend any money.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #238
rommelrommel
Golden Member

Yes, I have spent years convincing myself that the world is flat so I don't have any urge to travel.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #239
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Yeah but at least when its all digital with error correction there is no margin for the human senses. You can't prove that the $1000 HDMI cable is better because the way HDMI works it is an all or nothing deal.

Sure TV's might have different picture quality, just like sets of speakers have different sound quality, but they way the technology works the cable can't have an effect.

If audio was 100% error correcting and digital all the way to the speaker then the technology itself would end the snake oil's "science." Then its goes to the $100 HDMI model where its all trickery and lock-in and there is no " well you just can't hear it."
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #240
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Skeptics spend insane amount of years to convince themselves that cables make no difference
Nope, we look up the science and research the opinions of respected experts to determine its snake oil. We are talking 15 minutes tops.

Of course maybe you have built this crazy $80 thousand dollar clock with gears made of Big Foot bones that can make 15 minutes FEEL like years. And if you didn't and I just gave you a good idea, I expect 20% of the profits from your custome/////suckers.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #241
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
You keep mixing up connector with conductor all the time. I said that everyone uses silver or copper for conductors. And for connectors, people use gold plating to prevent oxidation.

The best connector I have found is the Furutech FI-11 (Cu), pure copper connector without any plating, because it makes it so neutral sounding. I like it better than Furutech FI-50 in most cases. When using plating, it adds a coloration to the sound. Rhodium gives fake detail, and gold smears away everything. Unplated is the best!

Furutech applies a special oxidation inhibiting coating to the copper connectors of FI-11 (Cu).
The wire changing the sound quality...where will we go from here? Eating red curry instead of green curry allowing you to perceive the detail better?

Quote:
Skeptics spend insane amount of years to convince themselves that cables make no difference, so that they don't need to spend any money.
LOGIC, CAN YOU HANDLE IT? Skeptics - that is to say people who unlike you are sane - don't spend the money on it. We go buy look at the resistance of a cable type and calculate the proper gauge wire for the length we're running, you then just use it. A real of 12ga speaker wire isn't anything special, doesn't need to be, and just works.

What matters more is your amplifier, speakers and most importantly, your source.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Last edited by RampantAndroid; 11-17-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #242
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Silver makes it silky, open, lean, thin, smeared, clean and detailed. The bass size is reduced which emphasizes the high frequencies. I like copper more, it is more neutral from top to bottom, and more powerful. But it has an edgy sound character that isn't as silky as silver.
You found the Philosopher's Stone?
http://primaryaccounting.ca
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #243
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
Yes, I have spent years convincing myself that the world is flat so I don't have any urge to travel.
Yes, the flawed thinking of skeptics comes handy in many ways. If they wake up in the morning and are too tired to go to work, they just make themselves believe there is no job! The job doesn't exist and doesn't make a difference.
It's the same thing with audio, they make themselves believe that cables don't make a difference so they don't need to pay money. But the believers know the harsh truth and can accept the truth, skeptics cannot.
Skeptics have weak and insecure minds, they are not strong enough to handle the truth.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #244
AudioTruth

Quote:
The wire changing the sound quality...where will we go from here? Eating red curry instead of green curry allowing you to perceive the detail better?

LOGIC, CAN YOU HANDLE IT? Skeptics - that is to say people who unlike you are sane - don't spend the money on it. We go buy look at the resistance of a cable type and calculate the proper gauge wire for the length we're running, you then just use it. A real of 12ga speaker wire isn't anything special, doesn't need to be, and just works.

What matters more is your amplifier, speakers and most importantly, your source.
It's a sad little world skeptics live in, very sad. They are afraid to make the jump to the other side of the fence and discover all the eargasms waiting for them.
Closed Thread

Tags
magazine, ransom, scam, stereo, times