· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #201
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Then the amps didn't have proper filtering, and you needed to add that before the amp. You must always assume that your AC power is nasty stuff and needs some amount of filtering.
one of these would do

http://www.cor.com/series/pem/
http://primaryaccounting.ca
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #202
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Guys, girls, cable-skeptics,

If you don't have the money to purchase a mid / high-end power cords (or any audio cables) go check out thecableco.com. They have a library where they offer thousands of cables from different manufacturers for you to try out as a trial. They charge you 5% of the value of the cable you want to try out for two weeks. They are used / demo cables. You can check out ones that cost a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. Also it is important that your system (other than cables) is up to snug to get proper results.... YMMV.

Be thankful they have such service so that you don't have to purchase a brand new cable to try out...

The power cords do make difference to the sound. Some say they make even larger difference than you get with audio cables...

Dude, I grew up in an electronics mid level supplier/retailer... I have seen more speakers and cable than you can count.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #203
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Well -- if the bulbs are CFLs (fluorescents) then turning them off actually may help. CFLs are nasty, with most using cheap magnetic ballasts that add noise to your power circuits. I've experienced that firsthand -- with humming subwoofer amps, humming/buzzing power amps, etc.

The sane approach to solving that problem is to get rid of the CFLs. Replace them with incandescent or LED bulbs. Sitting in a dark room with a flashlight? Uh... no.
LOL. for the sake of arguing, I use CFLs throughout my house and it has no audible effect that I can perceive on my audio equipment (see sig for details). But surely, a purist like Patrick would never use CFL if it had the slightest chance of affecting his beloved sound. Also consider that his high end, super duper, $80K, 10 years in the making power cable will easily remove any CFL induced noise. He also uses a multitude of noise eliminating "tweaks".

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #204
Number1
Diamond Member

Angry

Quote:
Guys, girls, cable-skeptics,

If you don't have the money to purchase a mid / high-end power cords (or any audio cables) go check out thecableco.com. They have a library where they offer thousands of cables from different manufacturers for you to try out as a trial. They charge you 5% of the value of the cable you want to try out for two weeks. They are used / demo cables. You can check out ones that cost a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. Also it is important that your system (other than cables) is up to snug to get proper results.... YMMV.

Be thankful they have such service so that you don't have to purchase a brand new cable to try out...

The power cords do make difference to the sound. Some say they make even larger difference than you get with audio cables...

Power cables have no measurable effect on audio signals and if it can't be measured, it's not there. You're making stuff up as you go like your assertion that gold is only used in low end gears and that it is a poor conductor. Even Patrick disagree with you on this.
Your ignorance is appalling.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #205
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Good man! I'm liking you already. GIMME HUG!
Let me clarify my statement. I'm not opposed to people buying expensive cables, it's their money, not mine. However, if someone is looking to buy expensive cables, they better have the equipment to go along with it, and I'm not talking about a MacBook Pro with some low end speakers. Now if you have a Classe SSP-800 pre/pro with some Classe/McIntosh amps and B&W 800 Diamond series speakers (or any other high end speakers) and have a few extra thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket, sure, knock yourself out. Buy some expensive cables. They won't really add anything extra to the sound quality, but they sure do look cool.

That being said, this OCDing over power cables (or any cables for that matter) is ridiculous. ESPECIALLY someone claiming to have $80K power cables. That's just stupid. But like I said, it's someone else's money, not mine.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #206
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Well, selling large volume cables (generic grade) is one thing, but testing out high-end cables is another.

This is like saying I work at the car wash so I know all about cars... it doesn't work that way. (no pun intended, and not directed at you)

I have mil spec cables, as in cables used in airplanes. You really don't know what you are talking about. Do you even know what a high end cable is? No, I am not talking about your fairy dust infused stuff.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #207
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
I meant "gold-plated". Both nickels and gold are bad source for conductance.. this is standard.

High performance power cords do play very important role... They filter higher frequencies before feeding power to your equipment. All sorts of electrical noise is also removed or minimized so that you get clean power.
... power cable that filters... that is an oxymoron...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #208
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Well the airplane cables are not used for audiophiles.. they serve different purpose.
Aerospace industry cables have much higher standards... especially mil spec.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #209
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's half correct. The expensive cables are not only for looks but really for sound performance. I do get amazing sound out of my $1200 Angel cable from either MBP or PC w/ sound card with my A2 speakers. They sound better than many other speakers that cost thousands more.
LOL......where is a double blind test when you need one?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #210
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
Aerospace industry cables have much higher standards... especially mil spec.

Do yours have putty squidged around the ends?

Are they wrapped in paper?

Are you a loon that cant separate reality from fantasy?

Well then your argument is invalid.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #211
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
That's half correct. The expensive cables are not only for looks but really for sound performance. I do get amazing sound out of my $1200 Angel cable from either MBP or PC w/ sound card with my A2 speakers. They sound better than many other speakers that cost thousands more.
It's 100% correct. You should have spent the money on better speakers rather than a cable. Sorry. If you are truly after better SQ performance, upgrading your speakers would have been the correct choice. In other words, "you chose...poorly."

Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #212
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
That's half correct. Actually 1/4 correct. The real benefit of the high-end cables is the sound, not looks. I have listened to quite a few speakers that cost more than my A2 speakers but they don't sound as good as my A2. There is something you just can't get with larger higher end speakers that you can get with A2's especially coupled with mid / high-end cables. I doubt even a $3000 speaker set will be able to compete, unless you get into over 10 grand just on speakers.
I'll go ahead and leave you with your delusions.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #213
Deders

Isn't gold used because it doesn't erode?
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #214
Phanuel
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
Yes, gold does not suffer oxidation and corrosion like copper or silver do. It also transmits electrons far better than a layer of plastic would if you wanted to use that as an insulator instead...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #215
Pacfanweb
Lifer

Quote:
Not primarily. It's used because it is the best conductor of electricity.

Plus, it is very easily worked, so it can be made in lots of different shapes, and since it's the best conductor, it doesn't need to be as large to carry the same amount of electricity as say, copper.

"One of the reasons I left Sabbath is Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." Ozzy
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #216
Deders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post

Not quite
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #217
kornphlake
Golden Member

Quote:
leave him alone, this thread is for fantasy not reality.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #218
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
leave him alone, this thread is for fantasy not reality.
Cue Bohemian Rhapsody.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #219
skriefal
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Then the amps didn't have proper filtering, and you needed to add that before the amp. You must always assume that your AC power is nasty stuff and needs some amount of filtering.
Very possible. But considering how frequently I've seen this, it's apparent that most audio equipment lacks proper filtering (I'm referring to moderately-afforable equipment here -- not to $20K Krell monoblocks). Power filtration is a good idea, but it's also good to avoid adding the noise when possible.

I do have an APC H15, but it seems to be just about useless for power filtration.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #220
modestninja

Quote:
Also when you go with a performance cable make sure to get the longer ones as they increase benefit of electrical noise filtration. 8ft would be good, more expensive though.
If you really want good cabling, you need to upgrade from silver to a super conductor. Sure it's expensive to keep them cold while the music is playing, and pumping the liquid nitrogen around the listening room can look a little messy (not to mention dealing with the condensation) but the way it opens up the sound is unmatched!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #221
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
I meant "gold-plated". Both nickels and gold are bad source for conductance.. this is standard.

High performance power cords do play very important role... They filter higher frequencies before feeding power to your equipment. All sorts of electrical noise is also removed or minimized so that you get clean power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post

Plus, it is very easily worked, so it can be made in lots of different shapes, and since it's the best conductor, it doesn't need to be as large to carry the same amount of electricity as say, copper.
(said in a condescending tone to cheez, and in a friendly tone to Pacfanweb) Gold is the third best conductor, better than it are copper and silver. However, Gold is the least resistive metal - you loose the least amount of signal to it really. Regardless of that, gold is used because unlike silver and copper, there's no real concerns about it tarnishing/oxidizing.

Quote:
Also when you go with a performance cable make sure to get the longer ones as they increase benefit of electrical noise filtration. 8ft would be good, more expensive though.
You mean the longest cable is the most likely to pick up EF noise, right?

Oh- reminds me - do you turn your cell phone off? Cell phones can interfere with audio too.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Last edited by RampantAndroid; 11-16-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #222
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestninja View Post
If you really want good cabling, you need to upgrade from silver to a super conductor. Sure it's expensive to keep them cold while the music is playing, and pumping the liquid nitrogen around the listening room can look a little messy (not to mention dealing with the condensation) but the way it opens up the sound is unmatched!

Keeps your beer frosty as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #223
videogames101
Diamond Member

Why would a power cable filter noise. Isn't the point of a cable to transmit the source with as little alteration as possible?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #224
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post

Power cables have no measurable effect on audio signals and if it can't be measured, it's not there. You're making stuff up as you go like your assertion that gold is only used in low end gears and that it is a poor conductor. Even Patrick disagree with you on this.
Your ignorance is appalling.
No, gold is a poor conductor, it's only ok for plating, but not anywhere else.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #225
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioTruth View Post
No, gold is a poor conductor, it's only ok for plating, but not anywhere else.
The amount of ignorance in this post is astounding. I linked you to a list of metals ranked in order of conductance, and gold is number 3 in the list.

Here, I'll link it again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...ious_materials

English ************, do you speak it?
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
Closed Thread

Tags
magazine, ransom, scam, stereo, times