· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Remobz
Golden Member

Default I keep skipping breakfast.....need some advice

Hey all,

I am always rushing to get out the house and tend to more often than not skip breakfast. You guys have the same problem?

Maybe I might need some healthy cereal breakfast bar?

What do you guys eat that is healthy so I can buy it when I go grocery shopping.
Remobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Saint Nick
Lifer

Go to bed earlier, wake earlier and prepare a meal. Those breakfast cereal bars aren't exactly ideal. Try to get some protein, even if just from whey.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
dave_the_nerd
Diamond Member

Peanut butter sandwich. Takes 30 seconds to make, eat it in the car w/ my coffee.

Windows Gaming Box: AsRock Z77E-ITX / i5-3570k @ 4GHz / 8GB RAM / GTX 660Ti / Samsung EVO 250GB / Seagate Momentus 750GB / Silverstone SG05. NAS: Foxconn D-70S-P (Celeron 1037U) / 4GB DDR3 / 3x 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200, RAID-Z / APEX MI-008.
dave_the_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Kaido
Lifer

Easy fix - get a blender and make smoothies. Protein powder, milk, fruit, done.

You can get creative and add oatmeal, veggies, cocoa powder, etc. for different flavors. I usually just use frozen fruit. Frozen bananas work great for making the smoothies really creamy without having to add ice and water down the flavor.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Insomniator
Diamond Member

Is drinking milk helpful for breakfast vs nothing? The only thing I can think about eating/drinking before noon is chocolate milk...
Insomniator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniator View Post
Is drinking milk helpful for breakfast vs nothing? The only thing I can think about eating/drinking before noon is chocolate milk...
The funny thing is that I never eat anything before lunch including breakfast. Eat a GOOD lunch then nothing until dinner then eat a GOOD dinner then a little snack before I sleep (glass of skimmed milk and a sandwich).

Rarely eat sweets and chips.

Just drink water at all my meals (sometimes orange juice or apple) and only drink coke on Fridays and Saturdays for my rum and coke

Still like 20 pounds overweight. Slight belly but I can clearly see my nether regions lol!

Last edited by Remobz; 11-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
rga

It doesn't particularly matter when you eat breakfast. The timing of your meals doesn't particularly matter unless you're exercising. If not having time to make breakfast ends up in you stopping to grab some greasy breakfast sandwich, then yeah, make time for something healthier. Otherwise, just make sure you're getting enough calories with enough nutrients every day.
rga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rga View Post
It doesn't particularly matter when you eat breakfast. The timing of your meals doesn't particularly matter unless you're exercising. If not having time to make breakfast ends up in you stopping to grab some greasy breakfast sandwich, then yeah, make time for something healthier. Otherwise, just make sure you're getting enough calories with enough nutrients every day.
When I say skip breakfast I mean totally skip it for the whole day.

For example, I would eat a snack at lets say midnight or a little after before I sleep then NO FOOD at all until lunch the other day. I am not a coffee drinker so I would fill my belly with water until lunch. Of course, I would eat a really good meal (not always healthy) for lunch.

My only exercise is doing some perfect pushups 2 times a day for 5 days of the week

Yes, I know I need cardio in my daily routine.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
mple

Breakfast isn't a requirement. I prefer a larger meal later in the day than to eat breakfast when my appetite isn't there

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why...me-hungry.html
mple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
rga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remobz View Post
When I say skip breakfast I mean totally skip it for the whole day.

For example, I would eat a snack at lets say midnight or a little after before I sleep then NO FOOD at all until lunch the other day. I am not a coffee drinker so I would fill my belly with water until lunch. Of course, I would eat a really good meal (not always healthy) for lunch.

My only exercise is doing some perfect pushups 2 times a day for 5 days of the week

Yes, I know I need cardio in my daily routine.
Meal timing is really only necessary for two reasons: hunger control, and energy for exercise/recovery. If you add cardio to your routine, consider eating some complex carbs 60-90 minutes before you start. Other than that, eat good food when you're hungry so that you don't end up going crazy on junk. If you're not hungry at the typical breakfast time, don't eat. Just make sure that your lunch, dinner, and bedtime snack contain enough calories to gain/maintain/lose weight (depending on your goal) and enough protein to maintain muscle mass.
rga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

You don't need to eat breakfast. Look up intermittant fasting. Actually here's a good rundown by John Berardi.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

If you want to eat breakfast you could cook some eggs and store them in the fridge overnight. Make a quick sandwich in the morning.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
jagec
Lifer

I never eat breakfast. It has worked for me so far.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Sixguns
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
Easy fix - get a blender and make smoothies. Protein powder, milk, fruit, done.

You can get creative and add oatmeal, veggies, cocoa powder, etc. for different flavors. I usually just use frozen fruit. Frozen bananas work great for making the smoothies really creamy without having to add ice and water down the flavor.

This everyday. It only takes 2-3 mintues to make and they taste great.

Sixguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
blackdogdeek
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixguns View Post
This everyday. It only takes 2-3 mintues to make and they taste great.
you could also make a big batch and just pour out what you want in the morning. this is what i do. you have to shake it up since it will settle but that takes much less time than blending again and this way you only wash the blender components and do the prep once every few days.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogdeek View Post
you could also make a big batch and just pour out what you want in the morning. this is what i do. you have to shake it up since it will settle but that takes much less time than blending again and this way you only wash the blender components and do the prep once every few days.
Good idea.

Here is a recipe someone mentioned to me that I can have ready to go in the morning.

Cereal "Sundae"

A bowl of fiber-rich bran flakes (about 1½ cups) with 8 ounces of low-fat milk is nearly the perfect breakfast. Make it portable by replacing the milk with lemon or vanilla yogurt and mixing it in a to-go container. Increase the fiber and vitamins by adding ¼ cup of nuts or fresh or dried fruit, such as chopped pecans or blueberries.

Sounds good to me as well.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
blackdogdeek
Lifer

you could also prepare things the night before and just reheat them in the microwave or toaster oven. like let's say you make a bunch of separate, fried eggs on sunday. after they cool down, you could make a bunch of breakfast sandwiches with an english muffin, one fried egg and a slice of cheese and put them in the fridge. every morning before your shower or bathroom routine just throw one in the toaster and toast it or throw it in the microwave and heat it for like 30 seconds. then just grab it on your way out the door.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Pantlegz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0oG0oGaiPan View Post
You don't need to eat breakfast. Look up intermittant fasting. Actually here's a good rundown by John Berardi.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

If you want to eat breakfast you could cook some eggs and store them in the fridge overnight. Make a quick sandwich in the morning.

http://www.leangains.com is another good resource if you're interested.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Pantlegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Sixguns
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogdeek View Post

Ive never thought about doing this before. Seems like a good idea.

Sixguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
darkxshade
Lifer

I skip breakfast and lunch... IF FTW
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
Druidx
Platinum Member

I'm another supporter of intermittent fasting. My routine isn't as strict as most, I skip breakfast and don't snack late at night ( 14-15hr fast ). I also do a 24hr fast almost every weekend. The more you read on the subject, the more you find out everything you've learned/read about needing to eat every so many hours is B.S.
The most important thing I've learned is how to better control food craving, never experience any hunger pains even on a 24-36hr fast. Around 75-80% of my calories are clean high protein fuel for my body. The other 20-25% is for enjoyment. It's so much easier to control my calories over a week with fasting than worrying about 300-500 cals. spread out over every 3-4 hrs.
Druidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
fleshconsumed
Diamond Member

Well, the question is do you actually get hungry in the morning? Or do you just want to get breakfast because it's considered healthy? In either case I suggest taking breakfast to work if you can. I'm never hungry when I wake up and like you I always rush out the door to get to work as fast as possible. However, I do get hungry about half an hour to an hour after I get to work. So I take my breakfast to work, it can be a cup of tea with honey, a hard boiled egg, a couple of mini meat loafs, a fruit, or any combination of the above. I'm not the only one like this because I see a lot of people in our cafeteria that prepare themselves a snack in the morning.
fleshconsumed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidx View Post
I'm another supporter of intermittent fasting. My routine isn't as strict as most, I skip breakfast and don't snack late at night ( 14-15hr fast ). I also do a 24hr fast almost every weekend. The more you read on the subject, the more you find out everything you've learned/read about needing to eat every so many hours is B.S.
The most important thing I've learned is how to better control food craving, never experience any hunger pains even on a 24-36hr fast. Around 75-80% of my calories are clean high protein fuel for my body. The other 20-25% is for enjoyment. It's so much easier to control my calories over a week with fasting than worrying about 300-500 cals. spread out over every 3-4 hrs.
My food cravings always hit me around midnight. Then again, as long as I pick some healthy snacks I should be ok.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Wyndru
Diamond Member

I usually just mash up some bananas into cottage cheese for a quick breakfast.

Or I have a chobani.
Wyndru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
Auric
Diamond Member

If fasting for health, or in any case if concerned with health, then you may want to avoid eating protein on every day that you do eat.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
mple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post
If fasting for health, or in any case if concerned with health, then you may want to avoid eating protein on every day that you do eat.
wat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remobz View Post
My food cravings always hit me around midnight. Then again, as long as I pick some healthy snacks I should be ok.
Once you hit your macronutrient requirements for the day, anything you eat past that will just be stored as fat. "Healthy" or not.

Last edited by mple; 11-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.
mple is online now   Reply With Quote