Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #26
Greenman
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Most 16' doors are not good, they will eventually sag.
Is this a remodel with a permit?
If so, you will need shear walls at the front corners. The alternate shear wall in the UBC is ~20" finished.
240" - 40" = 200" = 16' 8"
So there is the dilemma. Two 8' doors are a PITA as well if you have a full sized truck. You have to fold mirrors to go in or out.
You left out the center column to divide the two openings. He could use a ridged frame and net an 18'6 RO.
Greenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #27
JEDIYoda
Lifer
 
JEDIYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Israeli side
Posts: 20,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Because you're too poor to have a garage.

Go for one door. It looks better, only one opener to worry about.

I would think that sagging is a non-issue if you have it done properly. I just perused mine and it's a 16' engineered joist across the span, at least a foot high (not sure how thick the joist is). I can't see it ever sagging.
most women do not worry about a little sag here and there...
__________________
JohnOfSheffield -- That said, Palestine will exist when they understand that Israel exists, it's that blatantly simple!
JEDIYoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,218
Default

one door probably means less draft/dust/dirt and easier access as well. but it might mean a heavier door so if you had to lift it yourself it might be too heavy. i have two doors myself, but that was how the house came

Last edited by OBLAMA2009; 11-14-2012 at 12:34 AM.
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #29
herrjimbo
Senior Member
 
herrjimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
one door probably means less draft/dust/dirt and easier access as well. but it might mean a heavier door so if you had to lift it yourself it might be too heavy. i have two doors myself, but that was how the house came
that's what the torsion springs are for. adjustable so you could lift it with 2 fingers of each hand if you wanted to.
herrjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #30
Colt45
Lifer
 
Colt45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Советский Союз
Posts: 19,707
Default

one door, so can park in the middle and do car work
__________________
######
############
##########################
##################################################
##################################################
Colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #31
Kroze
Diamond Member
 
Kroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 4,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpozzi View Post
1 or 2?

Just wondering what the consensus is on this. I'm planning a remodel and have a 20x20 carport. I'm going to put up 2 new walls and make a 24x20 garage (24 long and 20 wide).

Anyone got pros and cons about 1 door versus 2?

Thanks.
I have both and 1 large garage door is much better than 2. Don't do 2 doors
Kroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,120
Default

Just one 6 foot wide door. You're going to end up filling the garage with lawn mowers, etc., and will never have a car in there, so why bother?!
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #33
herrjimbo
Senior Member
 
herrjimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Just one 6 foot wide door. You're going to end up filling the garage with lawn mowers, etc., and will never have a car in there, so why bother?!
this is so true where i live. se wisconsin and everybody has a garage. yet 80% of the people in my neighborhood leave their cars in the driveway year round because there's so much crap in the garages. and it shows. rust buckets all over the place.

i personally like that my 2002 looks brand new because i use my garage for what it is intended.
herrjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
BurnItDwn
Lifer
 
BurnItDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 18,736
Default

I'd go with 1 big door ....

I want a garage ...
Not for my car, but so I can have a nice big place to work on snowmobiles, and maybe buy and rehab a pop up tent, and a woodworking shop! It would be awesome ... Some day, I might even park a car in there, but, it wouldn't be on the initial agenda.
BurnItDwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #35
Schfifty Five
Diamond Member
 
Schfifty Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Just one 6 foot wide door. You're going to end up filling the garage with lawn mowers, etc., and will never have a car in there, so why bother?!
How is he supposed to get his stuff in and out of that side of the garage then without a garage door?

I'm assuming when you say "one 6 foot wide door" that you're referring to the side that will have a car.
Schfifty Five is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #36
Schfifty Five
Diamond Member
 
Schfifty Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrjimbo View Post
this is so true where i live. se wisconsin and everybody has a garage. yet 80% of the people in my neighborhood leave their cars in the driveway year round because there's so much crap in the garages. and it shows. rust buckets all over the place.

i personally like that my 2002 looks brand new because i use my garage for what it is intended.
You would still need a garage door to get stuff in and out of it. What are you going to do instead, wall up that side of the garage?
Schfifty Five is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
jagec
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 23,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schfifty Five View Post
How is he supposed to get his stuff in and out of that side of the garage then without a garage door?

I'm assuming when you say "one 6 foot wide door" that you're referring to the side that will have a car.
His whole point is that NEITHER side will have a car, since almost no one actually parks their car in their garage.

It's a joke, and you people are analyzing the pros and cons of it, Jesus...
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #38
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrjimbo View Post
this is so true where i live. se wisconsin and everybody has a garage. yet 80% of the people in my neighborhood leave their cars in the driveway year round because there's so much crap in the garages. and it shows. rust buckets all over the place.

i personally like that my 2002 looks brand new because i use my garage for what it is intended.
Uhh, being parked in your driveway doesn't cause rust. Driving it on the road in the winter in Wisconsin (salt on the roads) causes rust.
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #39
Schfifty Five
Diamond Member
 
Schfifty Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec View Post
His whole point is that NEITHER side will have a car, since almost no one actually parks their car in their garage.

It's a joke, and you people are analyzing the pros and cons of it, Jesus...
Oh I get he was joking, but you still need to have some logic in it.

Just b/c a car isn't going into the garage, it's not like you can just wall it up. You will still need a garage door regardless of having a car in there or not.

And when I read his joke, I assumed he meant, have 1 regular 6 foot wide garage door for one side, and nothing for the other half of the garage b/c there won't be a car in there.
Schfifty Five is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
herrjimbo
Senior Member
 
herrjimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Uhh, being parked in your driveway doesn't cause rust. Driving it on the road in the winter in Wisconsin (salt on the roads) causes rust.
true. but these are the same people who never wash and wax their vehicles. in general, people who park in garages usually take better care of them.
herrjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #41
herrjimbo
Senior Member
 
herrjimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schfifty Five View Post
Oh I get he was joking, but you still need to have some logic in it.

Just b/c a car isn't going into the garage, it's not like you can just wall it up. You will still need a garage door regardless of having a car in there or not.

And when I read his joke, I assumed he meant, have 1 regular 6 foot wide garage door for one side, and nothing for the other half of the garage b/c there won't be a car in there.
where do you keep coming up with needing a garage door? it's been stated so many times in this thread the sizes and advantages of garage doors. of course a garage door is needed.
herrjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #42
djnsmith7
Platinum Member
 
djnsmith7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,546
Default

If I had to choose, I'd opt for 1 door. Looks better & more convenient.
__________________
i5-2500K @ 4.5 | ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z | VisionTek 7970 w/ Swiftech WB
16 GB Ripjaws Z DDR3-1600 | CaseLabs MH10 + Pedestal | XSPC EX560 + EX420
XSPC D5 | XSPC Photon 270 | XSPC Raystorm | Corsair Force3 120 GB SSD | 1500w
djnsmith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
Schfifty Five
Diamond Member
 
Schfifty Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrjimbo View Post
where do you keep coming up with needing a garage door? it's been stated so many times in this thread the sizes and advantages of garage doors. of course a garage door is needed.
um, what?
Schfifty Five is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #44
herrjimbo
Senior Member
 
herrjimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schfifty Five View Post
Oh I get he was joking, but you still need to have some logic in it.

Just b/c a car isn't going into the garage, it's not like you can just wall it up. You will still need a garage door regardless of having a car in there or not.

And when I read his joke, I assumed he meant, have 1 regular 6 foot wide garage door for one side, and nothing for the other half of the garage b/c there won't be a car in there.
what he's saying is:
reduce the size of the opening to 6 feet, preferrably in the middle of the front of the garage. then he just needs one 6 foot door.
herrjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #45
Scarpozzi
Lifer
 
Scarpozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 20,215
Default

Thanks for all the advice. Based on the width, I think I'm going to go with 1 door. I agree that 2 doors looks better, but with 8 foot wide doors being what they are, I'd much rather have the extra space and have the extra support around the front of the garage to support the upstairs.
__________________
"Know your thoughts before you, we do, hhhmmmmm.........YES!" -Yoda Mod
Scarpozzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #46
Red Squirrel
Lifer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 26,925
Default

Will you be parking two cars or one? Could be handy to have just one door and then have the other garage space used for other stuff (3 walls, 2 corners to play with vs just 2).

I've also heard of people installing a second door at the end of the garage. If you need to get your vehicle in your yard (ex: backing up a truck with soil or something) then you can.
__________________
~Red Squirrel~
486dx2 @66Mhz turbo, 8MB ram, 512MB HDD, sound blaster 16 + 2x cdrom, Trident 1MB video card @ 640*480, 56k high speed modem.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #47
Itchrelief
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schfifty Five View Post
Oh I get he was joking, but you still need to have some logic in it.

Just b/c a car isn't going into the garage, it's not like you can just wall it up. You will still need a garage door regardless of having a car in there or not.

And when I read his joke, I assumed he meant, have 1 regular 6 foot wide garage door for one side, and nothing for the other half of the garage b/c there won't be a car in there.
Its ONE CONTIGUOUS garage. The OP's just asking if he should have one or two DOORS to that ONE SPACE. Inside is a huge open space, not two walled-off garages. You don't need more than one door if you only want to get small items in or out of it.
Itchrelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #48
phanie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1
Default How many garage doors should I put in a 2 car garage?

I think you should know how to recognized and minimized and maintain a garage door in your car to established it..
Thank you



towson garage door
phanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #49
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,431
Default

I think 1 looks better.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #50
Leros
Lifer
 
Leros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,421
Default

If you're going to park your car in it, I would get one big door because it offers more flexibility in terms of where you can park the car. As others mentioned, its nice to park in the center so you can work on it. I park in the center of my garage because I have work benches and stuff on the sides.

If I was going to make my garage a workshop only, I would prefer 2 doors so I had flexibility of opening one door for air while keeping the other closed.
Leros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.