· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
bearxor
Diamond Member

I've not been an HTC fan since the PPC-6700.

I don't know what HTC's deal is, but they've never hit the formula for mainstream success other than "We're the only ones really making Windows Mobile devices so buy from us!" Now, there's a dozen other top-tier manufactruer's making Android devices, Microsoft has thrown in with Nokia, so there's not really a way for HTC to stand out as the sole maker of something like they were able to from 2003-2007.

Edit: When I say "since the PPC-6700", I mean that's when I was like 'WTF?!' It was a really shitty phone and I only used it for about a week before ditching it and going with a Palm WM phone. Real disappointing coming from the PPC-6600.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stirling View Post
Second, the carriers like it when phones don't last long as that tends to reduce network usage.
Um, what?

Do you realize how hard Verizon has pushed and will push the Razr Maxx and Maxx HD?
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Um, what?

Do you realize how hard Verizon has pushed and will push the Razr Maxx and Maxx HD?
I know. The guy is not making much sense. He also wrote this:

Quote:
In many places (eg. NYC) the carriers can't add additional towers to increase capacity and phone usage kills data rates. The user experience in those places tends to be not so good. Limiting the data usage means better user experience in bandwidth limited situations.
It's obvious he does not live in NYC. Carriers can and are adding capacity. Not only that, but the cable companies (even the ones not running lines in NYC) are also adding wireless capacities as well, not to mention free wifi from AT&T, Microsoft, AOL, etc...

The fact is, a place like NYC is no different from a place like Hong Kong or Tokyo. A huge population density means faster networks and more data usage for everyone. That makes us happy.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
KeithP
Diamond Member

Quote:
So your point is that because YOU and some others can get by with 16GB of storage it's wise for HTC to limit the storage to that -- seriously?
I never said anything like that.

Lets face it, the number of users that need more storage and battery life are less, probably far less, than the number of users that will find the DNA's specs acceptable. If you are going by what people say they want on forums such as these, that percentage is certainly higher, but those folks aren't anywhere near the majority.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if HTC offered a version of the phone with more storage and battery capacity. But to suggest they "maybe should go out of business" because they didn't release a phone that met the needs of a relatively small number of powers users is beyond silly.

-KeithP

Hoodies don't have zippers, chili doesn't have beans, the plane won't take off...deal with it.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
I know. The guy is not making much sense. He also wrote this:

It's obvious he does not live in NYC. Carriers can and are adding capacity. Not only that, but the cable companies (even the ones not running lines in NYC) are also adding wireless capacities as well, not to mention free wifi from AT&T, Microsoft, AOL, etc...

The fact is, a place like NYC is no different from a place like Hong Kong or Tokyo. A huge population density means faster networks and more data usage for everyone. That makes us happy.
The future in high density areas is micro cellular and wifi gets you part way there but not completely. The carriers are doing what they can but you can't put towers close enough to handle the millions of users in so small a space.

There are times and places in NYC that are great and there are times and places that are terrible.

Yes, free wifi can help but free isn't everywhere and it isn't seamless. When you have to go through a logon like process to get on the internet at Starbucks that adds a layer of work that's not desirable. Yes, it's free but at what cost...

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
We no longer live in the stone age and many have discovered it's cheaper in the long run to have and use storage than to waste bandwidth and battery.

Brian
Using the cloud is living in the Stone Age? I would have thought that the opposite was true.

Eventually all data will be cloud based.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
Using the cloud is living in the Stone Age? I would have thought that the opposite was true.

Eventually all data will be cloud based.

I use the cloud but not for music or video. My average monthly data use is about 600MB so I could burn through a lot more data if I wanted to but why should I. If everyone maxed out there data use each month the extra usage would make everything slower and less enjoyable.

I put 16GB of music on my phone so I don't have to burn bandwidth AND to limit battery usage. Also, I travel a lot so streaming music on an airplane isn't really an option.

The stone age comment was more about the phone hardware feature set anyway ... if 16GB is all most people need then I have no problem with HTC selling the phone with 16GB, however, like many other people I want more than 16GB of storage and if HTC had provided a uSD slot that would not have been an issue for me. There failure to provide that option is stone age in my view, particularly so because it's billed as a flagship devise.

Again, I wanted to love this phone and until the actual feature set was revealed there was speculation that it would come with a uSD slot and a 2500mAHr battery. If the DNA was available with uSD and larger battery I'd likely be upgrading, but since it doesn't I won't...

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
MrX8503
Diamond Member

There's always the note 2. Don't remember if it has a mSD though.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
I'd be more concerned with the battery life than the storage. The DNA's screen is its main selling point. There will always be phones with compromises.
But we shouldn't have to compromise. Phones should be balanced. No one wants a single core 4.8" just like 16gb is kinda questionable.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #35
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:
There's always the note 2. Don't remember if it has a mSD though.

As much as I've been a proponent of larger phones relative to the iPhone I think 5" is about my limit. I've given the Note and Note2 some consideration and last year I was planning to get the original Note until it was revealed it would not come with the Exynos processor so I opted not to get one then.

The Note and Note2 have a great deal to love and the s-pen is one of those things I'd like to see more of. For some applications the finger based selection/moving/zooming method just doesn't work as well and the stylus is flat superior.

Going back a month or so ago I was planning to get the Note2 but when the J Butterfly was mentioned I was really, no make that REALLY interested so it is with great sadness that the under-speced Verizon DNA is announced -- really sad.

So, that being the case I think the Note2 is back in play since it comes with a uSD slot and a 3100mAHr battery. I just hope it's manageable size wise.

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #36
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
As much as I've been a proponent of larger phones relative to the iPhone I think 5" is about my limit. I've given the Note and Note2 some consideration and last year I was planning to get the original Note until it was revealed it would not come with the Exynos processor so I opted not to get one then.

The Note and Note2 have a great deal to love and the s-pen is one of those things I'd like to see more of. For some applications the finger based selection/moving/zooming method just doesn't work as well and the stylus is flat superior.

Going back a month or so ago I was planning to get the Note2 but when the J Butterfly was mentioned I was really, no make that REALLY interested so it is with great sadness that the under-speced Verizon DNA is announced -- really sad.

So, that being the case I think the Note2 is back in play since it comes with a uSD slot and a 3100mAHr battery. I just hope it's manageable size wise.

Brian
Great. Enjoy your Note 2 with its inferior screen, inferior resolution, inferior processor, inferior color reproduction and higher price. The rest of us will enjoy this phone.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #37
windlike

I like HTC before and screen is perfect and and battery is good.

But I think the new model is too much expensive than what it should be
windlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #38
stag3
Diamond Member

from initial reviews, the battery seems to be pretty good so far. i think the dna will be my next phone.
stag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
Nintendesert
Diamond Member

You must be flying to the moon to require more than 16gigs of music.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
exdeath
Lifer

People with that much music are both hoarders (hate to see their physical house...) and/or have never heard of Pandora. Hoarders dont need all that in reality and don't actually listen to more than 10% of their files, they just need to know its there just in case, its a security blanket comfort thing, otherwise they freak out.

I have 4-8 GB of MP3s sitting on a backup drive that I need to delete since I haven't manually played a mp3 file since Pandora.

I admit I'm a little bit worried about 16GB but in reality Im not even using all of the 8 GB on my X or the SD card. I think most who are really whining about it are just spec whores who don't like that there will be ONE thing "inferior" on paper that they will never hear the end of if their friend's phone has moar. Oh the horror.

Its like front facing cameras when they first came out. Even though they sucked and you never used it, you just had to have one on your spec sheet anyway to not feel outdated or left out. People are way too competitive and emotionally invested in disposable consumer gadgets.

That said Ill be the first to pay full retail to upgrade to a 64GB version in 3 months if made available, just because But I'm not going to cry about 16GB in the mean time.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-15-2012 at 10:42 AM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #41
SandEagle
Lifer

the J Butterfly does have a microSD slot.
www.htc.com/jp/smartphones/htl21/#specs
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #42
Raduque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
People with that much music are both hoarders (hate to see their physical house...) and/or have never heard of Pandora. Hoarders dont need all that in reality and don't actually listen to more than 10% of their files, they just need to know its there just in case, its a security blanket comfort thing, otherwise they freak out.

I have 4-8 GB of MP3s sitting on a backup drive that I need to delete since I haven't manually played a mp3 file since Pandora.
I don't have 16gb of music on my phone - only about half that. I buy songs from Amazon MP3 and some music I ripped before then that are 320kbps files. I don't keep that music around as a "security blanket" or because I'm "hoarding it". I have it because Pandora sucks, streaming sucks and I can't use any data network worth a damn at work.

Heat
ForSale
Raduque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #43
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendesert View Post
You must be flying to the moon to require more than 16gigs of music.

Actually, the LEM had only about 100KB to land on the moon so perhaps 100KB is all anyone could ever need -- right?

Brian
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #44
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:

I admit I'm a little bit worried about 16GB but in reality Im not even using all of the 8 GB on my X or the SD card. I think most who are really whining about it are just spec whores who don't like that there will be ONE thing "inferior" on paper that they will never hear the end of if their friend's phone has moar. Oh the horror.

Its like front facing cameras when they first came out. Even though they sucked and you never used it, you just had to have one on your spec sheet anyway to not feel outdated or left out. People are way too competitive and emotionally invested in disposable consumer gadgets.

That said Ill be the first to pay full retail to upgrade to a 64GB version in 3 months if made available, just because But I'm not going to cry about 16GB in the mean time.

Streaming music blows -- I have never understood how anyone would tolerate that crap. It is possible to find high bit rate music but most of the common sources provide low bit rate music that sounds like it's being played in a tiled bathroom. That may be fine for you but is not for me. My new car came with SiriusXM for 6 months and like almost all such music the quality is terrible -- won't be renewing the subscription.

Aside from music this HTC DNA is an HD device with full 1920x1080 resolution so playing back full HD movies is part of the deal. However streaming full HD movies would blow through many GB's to watch just one movie -- sorry, I don't feel the need to give Verizon more of my money -- but you're free to do so. So, it would be nice to have the ability to store a few movies on the device WITHOUT wasting carrier bandwidth but to do that you need to have sufficient storage and 16GB isn't nearly enough.

As I said before, I have no problem with HTC shipping the phone with 16GB, but I do have a huge problem that they did not include a uSD slot. If they had you could buy the DNA and use it with 16GB to your hearts content whereas I could then add the additional storage I want -- that would have been win-win...

Brian
Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #45
Anubis
No Lifer

Quote:

i can 100% assure you that i am not a hoarder and my house is quite clean, im actually bored enough to make a video of myself walking trough it to prove this point

i have 283 GB of music on my computer, and i listen to nearly all of it. its all on google music as well so i can strem it. however im still screwed when i dont have a cell/wifi signal, which is quite often. sure i could cache a Slacker station but its still not enough

pandora flat out sucks BTW, in selection and quality

i have a 32 GB nexus and it has under 16 GB of free space with 0 music or movie files on it. im using 16 GB of space from the OS, Apps, a few backups and 500 mb of photos. thats it

Last edited by Anubis; 11-15-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #46
Super56K
Golden Member

I imagine people that think a few GB's is enough music for anybody, or that Pandora is awesome, are in the same blood line as those who buy only singles or listen to music on the radio.

Last edited by Super56K; 11-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Super56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #47
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:

It's not even about music. 1080p video + high res camera = lots of space taken up. I put last weekend's Trance around the World 450 podcast and thats 650mb. You're right. If I always stay on top of cycling out what I want to listen to and what I don't, I can maintain good space. I don't think anyone needs to load 100gb of music, but you should be able to load enough music where there's something you want to listen to easily accessible. The fact that I have to figure out what I want for the day or week and then continuously cycle songs out is ridiculous.

Furthermore, I use the standard of the iPhone 3G. That was the phone where they offered 8gb capacities. The 3GS was launched at 16gb. This was 2009. We are 3 years ahead now. We went from 600mhz Cortex A8s to 1ghz A8s to 2x1ghz A9s to 4x1ghz A9s and now A15 cores. Flash memory has changed considerably too. Look at SSDs in 2009 versus now. Heck even since 2011, prices have dropped. You're telling me capacities from 3 years ago are still acceptable?
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #48
Mopetar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Streaming music blows -- I have never understood how anyone would tolerate that crap.
Probably because a lot of popular music (generally almost anything studio produced) is heavily compressed and doesn't need a high bit-rate anyhow. It's not going to sound appreciably better at in a lossless format, especially considering it's probably being played through a dinky phone speaker or a cheap pair of headphones.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #49
exdeath
Lifer

1080p doesn't mean you HAVE to have 25GB bluray rips to your phone. I wouldnt do that with 64GB either. You won't see the difference in video anyway on the small screen, just use 480p or 720p like you do on other phones before this came out. For me its more for browser real estate and fitting more on a screen and sharp vector graphics, not watching 1:1 1080p video on my tiny phone even though they are being dumb and marketing it for that.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-15-2012 at 01:09 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #50
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandEagle View Post
the J Butterfly does have a microSD slot.
www.htc.com/jp/smartphones/htl21/#specs
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Verizon may have asked HTC to exclude the MicroSD slot. Again, this is just one carrier. When this phone comes out for Sprint or ATT or if there is an international version, the MicroSD slot may return. People forgot about the difference between the Sprint version of the One X and the other versions (where Sprint's came with a MicroSD slot). Also, the battery life is better than what many here expected. A lot of whining and bitching over nothing.