Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Default WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10K Hard Drive...$69.99 w/free ship!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=WD3000HLHX

Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz (CM Hyper 212 EVO)| ASRock Z97 Pro4 | 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 1866 DDR3 | Crucial MX100 256GB SSD | WD 640GB Black | MSI GTX 660 Twin-Frozer III | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair CX750 Watt | Windows 8.1 64-Bit
daveybrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Damn, i couldn't even resist my own thread. Just bought one......even though i have no idea why. Still have a new sealed SSD i haven't even used.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz (CM Hyper 212 EVO)| ASRock Z97 Pro4 | 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 1866 DDR3 | Crucial MX100 256GB SSD | WD 640GB Black | MSI GTX 660 Twin-Frozer III | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair CX750 Watt | Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
skillyho
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybrat View Post
Damn, i couldn't even resist my own thread** Just bought one************even though i have no idea why** Still have a new sealed SSD i haven't even used**
It's a disease, isn't it?

OK SO I'm guessing ***mas and period somehow got broken on the forum**
skillyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Not bad, but last week's 600GB for $99 was a better deal. Not only was it cheaper /GB, but it uses higher density platters for higher performance. Still, super cheap for a Velociraptor. I'm still holding off on getting a 1TB version for cheap.

Actually, I'd love to get one of the enterprise versions sans the heatsink. Would rather not void the 5 year warranty.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Pariah
Elite Member

Quote:
Not bad, but last week's 600GB for $99 was a better deal. Not only was it cheaper /GB, but it uses higher density platters for higher performance.
The two drives use the same platters. The 600 uses 2 platters, the 300 uses 1.5 platters. The 600 was a better deal based on price/capacity, but if you didn't need 600GB, then this is the better deal as you get the same performance for less.
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
The two drives use the same platters. The 600 uses 2 platters, the 300 uses 1.5 platters. The 600 was a better deal based on price/capacity, but if you didn't need 600GB, then this is the better deal as you get the same performance for less.
I'm going to be giving the one i bought to my parents to upgrade their pc performance. They have an old slow 250GB Sata hard drive and this will make a very nice increase in performance for cheap.

I would have given them an SSD but my mom stores too many pictures on it to get a cheap 120GB SSD.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Pariah
Elite Member

If the drive is going to be used to store things that are not replaceable (your mom's pictures), you are far FAR better off buying her a Raptor than any SSD.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Quote:
If the drive is going to be used to store things that are not replaceable (your mom's pictures), you are far FAR better off buying her a Raptor than any SSD.
Thanks, i kinda figured that. And after i clone the old drive to this new Raptor, i'll put the old drive away as a backup.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
EliteRetard
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybrat View Post
I'm going to be giving the one i bought to my parents to upgrade their pc performance. They have an old slow 250GB Sata hard drive and this will make a very nice increase in performance for cheap.

I would have given them an SSD but my mom stores too many pictures on it to get a cheap 120GB SSD.
Only problem is your mom is going to think you stuffed her cat into the computer with all the screaming noises that are coming out of it.
EliteRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteRetard View Post
Only problem is your mom is going to think you stuffed her cat into the computer with all the screaming noises that are coming out of it.
LOL, well since she has no cats, this will give her that 'have-a-cat' like feeling

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
EliteRetard
Diamond Member

Have a friend who had a hardwood floor, he had put a pair of raptors in his PC and the thing literally vibrated around the room, leashed back by the cords. It really was a ROFLMAO moment. It had hard plastic feet that lit up, so we stuck some stuff under it to keep it from walking off.

Whats really creepy, is that I'm currently living in his moms basement...it's more like a studio apartment that I'm renting, but still.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Pariah
Elite Member

Not sure if EliteRetard is trying to be funny or what he is talking about. At idle, Raptors are as quiet as a 7200RPM drive and are inaudible over typical ambient noise (PSU/CPU fans, etc).

The vibration anecdote is just stupid. I have never seen a drive, and I have owned multiple 15k rpm and old school SCSI 10k drives, that would move themselves when placed on a hard surface, let alone move a case it was installed in. A desktop hard drive will not function at all if it was vibrated hard enough to move a case.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
EliteRetard
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not sure if EliteRetard is trying to be funny or what he is talking about. At idle, Raptors are as quiet as a 7200RPM drive and are inaudible over typical ambient noise (PSU/CPU fans, etc).

The vibration anecdote is just stupid. I have never seen a drive, and I have owned multiple 15k rpm and old school SCSI 10k drives, that would move themselves when placed on a hard surface, let alone move a case it was installed in. A desktop hard drive will not function at all if it was vibrated hard enough to move a case.
Cat noises were a joke, yes.

Just did a quick youtube and this was on the front page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KdOpV7r_k

You might not have ever seen a HDD vibrate, but I know for certain that they do.
And what I'm talking about isn't a violent thrashing like a washing machine gone mad...just a constant vibration/rattle (perhaps like a phone vibration?) that was enough to cause the case feet to loose friction and drift kinda like a puck on an air hockey table. It didn't move very fast, but it was visible...

I know of a few other examples of computers/laptops vibrating like this, but only once was the combination of things right to where I saw it move like that. That's what made it so funny.

Edit: Here's another video of HDD vibration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRkn9ItsNk

And these are just 7200RPM (Seagate) drives, he had 2 3.5" WD 10K drives hard mounted in a custom case....and they definitely caused vibration.

Last edited by EliteRetard; 11-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.