· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Default Black Ops 2. Did anyone cave?

I know reviews are pretty much undercover marketing for games. Especially cod games, but BLOPS 2 is getting really good press. Talking about 3 games in one type stuff. The zombie mode is supposed to be fantastic, and the MP is the best since COD4 from what I'm hearing.

Did anyone cave and buy it? Are the reviews on the up and up, or is this another $60 map pack?
VulgarDisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
2is
Platinum Member

I bought it. I like it
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

You're supposed to hate it so I don't want it...

I'm in serious need of a decent game to play these days. BF3 just pisses me off too much with the vehicles at times, and MOH is dead basically.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
sygyzy
Lifer

It's really good.
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
2is
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
You're supposed to hate it so I don't want it...

I'm in serious need of a decent game to play these days. BF3 just pisses me off too much with the vehicles at times, and MOH is dead basically.
Not sure if I can help you not want it. I mean, it's not perfect. It has matchmaking like MW2/3 but uses dedicated servers on the back end vs picking a host. In this sense I liked the original BO better because it had a server browser.

You are limited to 12 player max matches with the exception of Ground War which is 18. I'd like that number to be at least 24, with a proper map size to accomidate.

The plus side (i think it's a plus anyway) is no custom game modes on ranked servers. So no more 24/7 nuketown/crouch only/sniper only/knife only rules. Every time you join a ranked server you'll get to play the game the way it was ment to be played. Obviously this is a point of contention for some people, but I think it's a good thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

COD is like that psychotic girlfriend you used to have. You just can't get enough of it even though you know it's a bad thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
supremor

Quote:
COD is like that psychotic girlfriend you used to have. You just can't get enough of it even though you know it's a bad thing.
True that man, I vowed to never buy another Treyarch game after the abortion BO for PC turned out to be but I'm somewhat tempted to be honest.
Don't be a Tweakboy, have some integrity.
supremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
DeadFred
Golden Member

Quote:
True

Only thing holding me back is the matchmaking/lack of dedi servers..........
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
jimrawr

OP I am in the same boat as you man.. I really hate where the COD franchise has gone, I was a huge fan of COD2 and COD4. When the whole fiasco with MW2 happened, and the lack of mod tools i vowed not to buy another one. I find myself now lacking any good FPS in my life and im 99% sure this one wont be something I play more than a few hours because of the lack of mod tools, but I still think about buying it.

Wish we had a good FPS at the moment but we really dont, especially if you want to play competetively. Need mod tools for that..
jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Quote:
I know reviews are pretty much undercover marketing for games. Especially cod games, but BLOPS 2 is getting really good press. Talking about 3 games in one type stuff. The zombie mode is supposed to be fantastic, and the MP is the best since COD4 from what I'm hearing.

Did anyone cave and buy it? Are the reviews on the up and up, or is this another $60 map pack?
yes I did even after swearing this time I wouldn't..

I do like the MP being based on score instead of kills now.. and the futuristic weps are fun.

and they did add back in FOV even though it is still capped at 80 for now..

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

Ill pick it up when its on sale for 30. Zombies and other game modes are usually a lot of fun. COD gets a bad name. Sure they have failed to fo any real innovating and are just trying to suck money out of people by releasing games every year (and DLC, and other crap)m but hey its a business and theyre trying to make money.

Ill probably get it for 360 and PC. 360 because just about everyone i know is on there, and i know ill want to hop on and play with friends and co-workers. And then once its cheap enough ill get it for PC, so when im playing alone, ill get much better graphics, and have it in my steam library.

Just wanna point out that I personally hate playing COD MP against random people on LIVE. Its one of those games where you know theres some people who make it their live, and its not even fun to play against them online. Halo 4 has been pretty fun so far online.

anyone know how much theyll charge for nuketown if you didnt pre-order?
Nvidiaguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Sho'Nuff
Diamond Member

I bought it and immediately regretted it. not because the game is bad. Its not. But rather because I am absofreakinlutely horrible at COD multiplayer. I might as well rename my character to "fodder," cause that is what I am. I guess I am just getting old. I can't competer in "twitch" shooters anymore. Which is too bad, because I used to enjoy them.

Thankfully I can still rely on BF3 for my multiplayer fix. I'm as dangerous as a syphilis infected sheep while playing infantry. But god help you if I am in a tank or other land vehicle.
ATOT Resident Shogun of Intellectual Property Law
Sho'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
gorcorps
aka Brandon

On the fence... I don't need another game and I barely put any time into the last CoD games I bought, but I honestly think the futuristic setting will feel new enough for me to not get entirely bored. Plus BO was one of my favorites (on the 360) because of the interesting gameplay modes like "sticks and stones". If those modes are still there I might pick it up. Don't really care for the zombies or SP stuff, but I don't have a good MP shooter. The new CS didn't do it for me.
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member

I picked it up. I only played for about an hour, so I can't really give a solid opinion yet. So far it seems alright - it's a modern COD game after all, so you know what to expect. It feels a bit better than MW3, which I couldn't stand.

For as much criticism as it received, I really miss MW2. Not the crappy matchmaking system, hacks, and other flaws, but the decent maps, powerful weapons (SPAS-12, Intervention, G18s, 1887s, etc.), and decent perks / perk system. Yeah, some maps turned into ridiculous LMG or walk-out-and-get-your-head-blown-off sniper warfare, but a good number of them allowed decent tactical gameplay rather than just run and gun, at least on Domination.

It did get old being blasted in the back by a SPAS-12 or someone running around like a maniac with G18s all the time, but it also seemed to help make weapons feel like a real threat. Every COD game since then makes it feel like you're shooting everyone with BB guns.

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.

Last edited by CurseTheSky; 11-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
DeadFred
Golden Member

What are the killstreaks like this time around? Which previous cod game do they most resemble?
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
sigurros81
Platinum Member

I won't deny that COD knows what they're trying to be, and they succeed in in that regard. They've masterfully created a game for the folks who enjoy close quarter combat and twitch-reflex gaming.

Unlike EA, which in my opinion is quite pretentious with their recent release of Warfighter, touting 'realism' and 'authenticity' blah blah. COD knows what it is, and it embraces the franchise's evolution.

I just wish they'd release the next gen consoles already so we can actually see some improved graphics.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

The zombie mode sounds fun but I wouldn't buy it just for that, and as far as typical "multiplayer" goes I'd rather play BF3 just because I never enjoyed the goofy killstreak stuff and I find the squad based play to be more enjoyable.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
ApexBoost

I was really tempted to pick it up last night after watching some streams. The gameplay looked pretty fun and most people had good things to say about it overall. I'll probably wait until the honeymoon phase is over and what the general consensus is then.

I really really wish there was a server browser with custom servers allowed though.
CPU: Intel i5 2500k Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: Rosewill Hive 550w HD Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Antec 300 Illusion Monitor: Asus 23" 5ms 1080p
ApexBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFred View Post
What are the killstreaks like this time around? Which previous cod game do they most resemble?
well they arent kill streaks anymore now they are score streaks.. so every time you get a certain number of points it gives you one..

which means for those that arent as good at shootign etc but do cap etc can still earn points and be top player of the round.

and they are pretty much the same type of stuff we had before.

airstrikes, packages, dogs. etc.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
dpodblood
Diamond Member

I wasn't going to but I ended up caving and buying it. Have to say; no regrets. I played for 5 hours last night and enjoyed every minute of it. For whatever reason I really like this game much better than the MW series of games. I really enjoyed BLOPS1, and they have improved upon it in every way. Maps and weapons are balanced. Everything just feels right. Some will complain about the lack of a server browser, but as long as there are dedicated servers I couldn't care less. It's easy enough to jump into a game with friends.

EDIT: Will also say one of the thing's I really hated about MW2 and 3 was how the top couple players would just get kill streaks and totally destroy your chance of winning. This time around I feel (at least so far) the kill/point streaks are much more balanced and don't ruin the game.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
Ashenor
Golden Member

I bought it and having fun with it. Level 24, almost have my K/D to 1.0 which is big for me hah.
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
Axon
Platinum Member

Good game, nothing out of the ordinary for COD. Fun to throw on for an hour or so and screw around in the MP or zombie mode.

i7 2600k @ 4.6/Gigabyte P67A-UD4/8 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws 1600/ASUS GTX 670 DCII TOP/OCZ Vertex 3 250 GB/WD Black 640 Gig HDD

No one wants to trade new stuff for old crap
Axon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Keeper

Seems like one million people caved in the first 24 hours.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
dpodblood
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Seems like one million people caved in the first 24 hours.
I believe they sold a million copies just at midnight launch events. I believe the figure now is closer to 6 or 7 million.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
skipsneeky2
Diamond Member

I am actually considering this game,looking for some solid infantry maps without vehicles.

BF3 sadly the only map dedicated to infantry is Metro and after so many rounds,it just feels so lame it makes you want to uninstall BF3 and reinstall older games like BC2 and play some of those infantry maps.

Not really a vehicle fan much,decided to give BF3 a break for a while and go back to BC2 but i might try out BLOPS2 for infantry gameplay.
skipsneeky2 is offline   Reply With Quote