· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Durvelle27
Banned

Question Should I Update To IOS 6 ?

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 32GB & 16GB and i'm wondering if i should update them to IOS 6 both are on IOS 5.1.1 ?
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Syrome

Stay with 5.1.1 honestly. You get a much better mapping solution compared to the Apple Maps garbage plus less issues.
Syrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Durvelle27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrome View Post
Stay with 5.1.1 honestly. You get a much better mapping solution compared to the Apple Maps garbage plus less issues.
ok thx
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Printer Bandit
Lifer

i don't get the hate for maps in iOS 6.

when using turn by turn directions in 3D, it's simply gorgeous. i'm so mesmerized by it, i have a hard time paying attention to the road.
Printer Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Syrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer Bandit View Post

when using turn by turn directions in 3D, it's simply gorgeous. i'm so mesmerized by it, i have a hard time paying attention to the road.
Clearly you haven't used it enough because when you start getting directions in the wrong direction or end up at the wrong place, you'll understand. Not to mention all of the Satellite images are distorted and mapped wrong. There is a reason why Apple just parted ways with Scott Forstall, and I bet it has ALOT to do with iOS 6.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
power_hour

Wait for their next update. Too much wrong to list. No benefit that I can see at the moment.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
vi edit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer Bandit View Post

I don't think the 4 (only the 4s and 5) get the turn by turn options. 4 does not get panorama mode either. All it gets is a more bogged down experience and a clunkier mapping product.

Pass.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
aaksheytalwar
Diamond Member

Might be a bit slow on a regular iPhone 4
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Subyman
Platinum Member

I have iOS6 on the standard iPhone 4 and it isn't as snappy as 5. I wouldn't say it is slow though. I'd say stay with what you have unless there are features that you need or apps that require iOS6 that you want to use.
Intel 120GB SSD | Seasonic 660 Plat | ROG Swift PG278Q
Subyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Syrome

People seem to be following my advice for not upgrading. Trust me and wait until either the next update or iOS 7. With the putting of Scott Forstall, the software will be much better,
Old 11-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
mmntech
Lifer

Yeah, I wouldn't upgrade. At least not until Google pushing a proper maps app out there. There's not anything really exciting in iOS6 to justify the headaches. If you want turn by turn, there are plenty of alternative apps out there. IIRC, iOS6 also doesn't have a proper jailbreak for it yet.

I've noticed that a lot of popular apps are beginning to require iOS 6 though. Including Cut the Rope and Filmic Pro. Which bothers me to no end. Any app that requires it for no obvious reason, given the unpopularity of iOS6, gets an immediate 1 star.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
BlueWeasel
Lifer

I'm perfectly happy with 5.1.1 on my 4s.

However, the update to iOS6 somehow downloaded to my phone and is now taking ~2GB of space. It shows up as "Other" space when connected to iTunes.

Is there anyway to remove the update and regain the space? I can't figure out how.
BlueWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
pub1279

i have a iphone 4 - my advice is to stick with 5, my battery is struggling again (much like it did with the first release of ios5)

Last edited by pub1279; 11-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.
pub1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Durvelle27
Banned

there are a few apps i wanted that require IOS 6 but no gonna upgrade so i'm still on IOS 5.1.1 JB
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Clearly you haven't used it enough because when you start getting directions in the wrong direction or end up at the wrong place, you'll understand. Not to mention all of the Satellite images are distorted and mapped wrong. There is a reason why Apple just parted ways with Scott Forstall, and I bet it has ALOT to do with iOS 6.
For me, iOS 6 is far more accurate than Google. It has less data, but the data it does have is more accurate in my personal experience. The only valid complaint I see is that it doesn't have public transportation instructions. Not a problem for me because I'm not in a metropolitan area. Every other complaint I've seen applies triple to Google maps.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWeasel View Post
I'm perfectly happy with 5.1.1 on my 4s.

However, the update to iOS6 somehow downloaded to my phone and is now taking ~2GB of space. It shows up as "Other" space when connected to iTunes.

Is there anyway to remove the update and regain the space? I can't figure out how.
If you don't care about jailbreak, I think you should install it. Navigation is MUCH better than anything else I've tried.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post
I don't think the 4 (only the 4s and 5) get the turn by turn options. 4 does not get panorama mode either. All it gets is a more bogged down experience and a clunkier mapping product.

Pass.
With jailbreak (currently tethered in iOS 6), you can have native panorama and navigation on iPhone 4.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
Zxian

I haven't had any mission critical needs for maps data where the iOS6 maps has sent me to the wrong location (and I'm in Canada).

Facebook integration, Do Not Disturb (omg, best thing), and other small improvements convinced me to upgrade. IMO, the only reason not to is if you believe that Maps will send you in the wrong direction (which I feel will only improve over time) or if you need public transit information in Maps.

My phone is the iPhone4, FWIW.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
KeithP
Diamond Member

I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and I am surprised it seems very snappy. I haven't used it a lot yet but so far, so good.

-KeithP

Hoodies don't have zippers, chili doesn't have beans, the plane won't take off...deal with it.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
lotust
Diamond Member

im waiting for 6.1 and a JB. no rush over here. I have learned over the years latest is not always the best. :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxian View Post
I haven't had any mission critical needs for maps data where the iOS6 maps has sent me to the wrong location (and I'm in Canada).

Facebook integration, Do Not Disturb (omg, best thing), and other small improvements convinced me to upgrade. IMO, the only reason not to is if you believe that Maps will send you in the wrong direction (which I feel will only improve over time) or if you need public transit information in Maps.

My phone is the iPhone4, FWIW.
I don't even think that's a valid reason since you have full access to Google Maps through the mobile site. It works like an app and even has an app icon when you save it to your home screen.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
DaveStall
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotust View Post
im waiting for 6.1 and a JB. no rush over here. I have learned over the years latest is not always the best. :-)
Same here. I'm sure there are some nice improvements in iOS6, but no matter what was added it will still pale in comparison to any version that is jailbroken.
DaveStall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
The distortion is caused when you apply the satellite textures on top of the 3D terrain. Otherwise it's fine. My case is a little different since the 4 does not have Siri but upgrading to iOS6 was a must for me. Having built in navigation linked to Siri is really great.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
Syrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDave View Post
The distortion is caused when you apply the satellite textures on top of the 3D terrain. Otherwise it's fine. My case is a little different since the 4 does not have Siri but upgrading to iOS6 was a must for me. Having built in navigation linked to Siri is really great.
Well since you were so behind in updates, it was well worth it in your case. Otherwise, people on 5.1.1 should stay away. However, since 6.0.1 came out, were all set. They fixed most of the issues.