· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #151
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post
There are fluctuations, but there is no "need" to clean them up. It's a good idea to have a surge protector but that's it. A modern power supply will handle the incoming AC power just fine. One thing for sure, a power conditioner may give you a cleaner looking AC signal going into your audio gear but it's NOT going to make your gear sound better or worst. Filter circuits inside your gear's power supply are there for this purpose.
Audio is not either "on or off". Human ears are not computers that can read 0's and 1's. With this kind of thinking, there are no differences between audio gear at all, because the data is the same.
If there are differences between audio gear, then there are also differences between cables and tweaks. One reason why audio gear sound different, is from the resonant properties of the materials within. Even screws make a difference to the sound.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #152
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioTruth View Post
Audio is not either "on or off". Human ears are not computers that can read 0's and 1's. With this kind of thinking, there are no differences between audio gear at all, because the data is the same.
If there are differences between audio gear, then there are also differences between cables and tweaks. One reason why audio gear sound different, is from the resonant properties of the materials within. Even screws make a difference to the sound.
Your "tweaks" are made with play dough.

Differences between audio equipment are easily quantified by looking at an oscilloscope. Ever used one?

Wait...screws make a...

http://bit.ly/T1acFi

Quote:
It's a $300,000 modification with crystals. The DAC comes for free, and all the contacts on it are gold plated.
By crystals, you mean you took styrofoam and shoved a bunch of stuff into it, yes? The EMU404 is by no means a great DAC, I've built a better DAC for something like $250. And no, they're not gold plated - not in your stupid little video which you filmed on a toaster. If you're making audio equipment worth this much, why are you living in such a crappy place? Why can't you afford a proper DSLR to make your videos?

Oh, right...because you're a troll.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #153
AudioTruth

If you are passionate about audio, you can always save and start eating low cost foods. I always buy food that's on sale. Yesterday I bought 5lbs "old" bananas and ate them within a day. Two days ago I bought 12 buckets of cottage cheese, also on sale. 2 weeks ago I bought 30 cans of coconut milk! Crazy sale!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #154
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Gold doesn't conduct electricity all that well. Usually the cheap equipment has that. Just because they look like gold color doesn't mean they are better.
...what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...ious_materials

Gee, let's look at this...gold is less conductive than copper and silver, but less resistive than both...and gold is used because it won't tarnish like silver and copper do.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #155
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fiber optic cables carry electrical noise too. 1's and 0's mean squat. All digital music get affected by electrical noise and jitter affect timing. I was getting terrible SQ off the generic toslink cable. The $200 Sydney cable (analog) beat the pants off.
Glass is an insulator. So no, it doesn't carry electrical noise. At all. Better yet: the cables are terminated using plastic which is....gasp, an insulator!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #156
AudioTruth

Quote:
Gold doesn't conduct electricity all that well. Usually the cheap equipment has that. Just because they look like gold color doesn't mean they are better.
Gold plated contacts are bad for AC cables, I never use gold for AC. Gold plated for USB cable is ok, but it's too warm so I prefer nickel plated USB plugs.
The plating is just a signature change, it can be compensated for. I like to combine Rhodium plating with gold on the other end.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #157
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
By crystals, you mean you took styrofoam and shoved a bunch of stuff into it, yes?
Styrofoam is bad for the health. Crystals are good for the health. I only use the safest materials.

Quote:
The EMU404 is by no means a great DAC, I've built a better DAC for something like $250.
The EMU 0404 PCI is completely different from the USB version. 0404 PCI was the worst, Benchmark DAC1 was better, Cary Audio 303/300 CD player was worse than Benchmark, dCS Elgar Plus DAC + dCS Verdi Encore SACD transport ($31,000) was worse than Benchmark also, I found others who agreed. Then I switched to EMU 0404 USB, and got the best sound ever! Others agree the EMU 0404 USB is better than Benchmark DAC1 as well. I have highly modified the Benchmark DAC1 to get more microdetail, the stock EMU 0404 USB was still better, for only $200.

Quote:
And no, they're not gold plated - not in your stupid little video which you filmed on a toaster.
They are gold plated. It says so in the product description: "delivering unmatched USB audio fidelity, enhanced by gold-plated connectors for pristine audio quality".

I didn't film it on a toaster, I filmed it with a professional webcam. There's something called white balance that made the image blue and cold looking.

Quote:
If you're making audio equipment worth this much, why are you living in such a crappy place? Why can't you afford a proper DSLR to make your videos?
I spend the money to design better tweaks, instead of buy an expensive camera that doesn't do anything to improve the sound.

I live in a real home now. Here's my old home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QnXkSePKw

Quote:
Oh, right...because you're a troll.
No, not a troll.

Last edited by AudioTruth; 11-14-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #158
AudioTruth

Audiophiles are very healthy and mentally sane. The skeptics eat bad food and are aggressive and attack people. This thread is the proof of that. No wonder they can't hear differences in sound. Instead of listening and discovering the great eargasms, they attack and swear like gang members.

To get the highest ear resolution, you need a healthy diet. I go to a nutritionist once a year, she said my test results couldn't be any better. I do this to get better hearing. For years I have optimized the vitamin and mineral dosages to get the best sound from my audio system. You need to learn to listen to the body to know what it needs.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #159
Aharami
Lifer

hahahahahahaha
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #160
AudioTruth

Quote:
Good to hear you like the Benchmark DAC-1. And it's impressive how it equals or outperforms the other high-end DAC's on the market. This is the DAC I am planning to get, along with Audioquest Niagara XLR cables ($1800). Hmm... I better check out the EM 0404 USB that you speak of. Sounds intriguing!
Benchmark DAC1 is very good. But the internal toroidal transformer needs to be placed outside the chassis to get a new layer of microdetail. See on the picture, I put the toroid on the right side of the Benchmark DAC1.

I put ERS Paper inside it also to reduce internal noise reflections.

With EMU 0404 USB, this AC/DC adapter is already outside. And it's directly plugged to the AC outlet, so it doesn't need a power cable. The plastic chassis of EMU doesn't reflect the internal RFI reflections. So I never needed to do the same ERS Paper treatment for it. I just had to put ERS Paper outside the EMU to stop RFI from coming in. I have replaced the ERS Paper with crystals now, it made it much more natural and transparent.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #161
Number1
Diamond Member

There are two individual in here who are redefining the laws of physic to fit their fantasy world.

This thread is a joke. It should be locked or moved to OT to get the responses it deserves.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #162
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member

I think our resident audiophiles need to man up and do a true double blind test with all this snake oil, and see what happens.

Until that happens, it's all BS
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #163
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

OK, micro detail is great and all but I want nano detail and I don't want to spend $13M for it -- is there any hope?

Spending $80K for speaker wire is like an old Gremlin (car) with $5000 22" wheels...

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #164
uhohs
Diamond Member

one day i'll upgrade to a hospital grade power cable.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #165
Brian Stirling
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohs View Post
one day i'll upgrade to a hospital grade power cable.
Actually, Hospital Grade is a UL thing and specs the requirements for use in Hospitals. Not related to audio at all...

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #166
Drako
Diamond Member

Wow, this thread brought out more loons than a typical P&N thread
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #167
Drako
Diamond Member

Oh and cheez, and you've rendered your ERS paper useless by taping them together with packing tape. You should have sown them together with cotton thread.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #168
Deders
Golden Member

Surely only silk would do?
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #169
AudioTruth

I got the cables back today! Here is the unboxing video for proof! http://youtu.be/2Icu8kKKZtk
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #170
AudioTruth

Quote:
I got the cables back today! Here is the unboxing video for proof! http://youtu.be/2Icu8kKKZtk
I tested the cable in many ways, it works perfectly and is built perfectly! There is no way the cable could have blown his tubes.

1) Plugged it into my amp, ran music for 15 minutes, worked perfectly.

2) I opened up the plugs, the conductors were crazy tight, I pulled and rotated in all directions, the conductors didn't come loose, I used all my strength, nothing can loosen the conductors!

3) The conductors were wired properly. Blue wire to blue screw, brown wire to brown screw. Green/yellow wire to green screw. Identical on both plugs!

4) I Inspected the cable closely and the copper conductors look fresh, no sign of a short-circuit anywhere. The insulation looks new, no sign of melting.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #171
Aharami
Lifer

my elbow and palm hurts from all the faceplaming!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #172
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drako View Post
Oh and cheez, and you've rendered your ERS paper useless by taping them together with packing tape. You should have sown them together with cotton thread.

The ERS Paper needs to have tape on the edges to avoid short-circuits. Otherwise this happens:

Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #173
Drako
Diamond Member

Quote:
The ERS Paper needs to have tape on the edges to avoid short-circuits. Otherwise this happens:

And if you did not use ERS paper, you wouldn't have that problem
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #174
scootermaster
Platinum Member

You guys are over-thinking this.

First off, it's an obvious troll thread. I don't doubt this dude is in to audiophile shit, and I don't doubt this dude tries to make money off of it, but beyond that....

Regardless, look at it like this:

Let's say you're 90, and on your death bed. In the bed next to you, sharing a room, is your best friend, but he's a devout Christian. He's 100% convinced, without a shadow of a doubt that he's going to heaven. You're...not. You're just a dude.

Don't you think, at that moment, your friend is probably happier than you are? Keep in mind, this has no bearing on whether or not he's actually going to heaven, but if this cat THINKS he is, it probably makes him feel better [also, to be completely fair, you don't know for certainly he's NOT going to heaven. I mean, you can't scientifically prove it, so, y'know....]

So, yeah, if you've made peace with your beliefs, and are 100% sure that there is no god, and you're cool with where you go when you die, then yeah, you might come close to being as happy as that dude, but, a). you'll probably never quite get to his level of happiness and b). eliminating ALL doubt, without something to help you through the process -- i.e. "faith", the idea that you don't have to explain everything -- is really, really, really freakin' tough, and a state most people don't ever get to.

So it is with this audiophile retard.

He simply "believes". Well, that, and he wants to scam people out of money with his beliefs. He's no different than an evangelist on TV in that regard. But the point is, he has faith in his "god"; in this case, his "eargasms". We can't prove it doesn't exist, because, really, for him it does exist. And we shouldn't begrudge that any more than you'd begrudge someone dying their belief in the afterlife, as silly as it may sound to the rest of us.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #175
AudioTruth

The same can be said about the skeptics. They simply "believe" that cables can't make a difference. They don't even try cables because their belief is so strong.

All audiophiles have been skeptics at one point, then they tried cables and found the truth. Most of the skeptics still live in ignorance, it's sad what they are missing. It's like they never lose their virginity.
Closed Thread

Tags
magazine, ransom, scam, stereo, times