· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #26
wirednuts
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oynaz View Post
When playing back at least. Things change radically when we are talking recording, but in that case we are quickly moving out of Creative/Asus territory, of course.
no doubt there.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
finbarqs
Diamond Member

wow i just go the edifier s550 speaker 5.1 system, and the LFE sounds like ass (compared to my klipsch pro media ultra 5.1). But the difference between these speakers was I was using my x-fi fatality before, and now I'm using my onboard realtek. The difference I can hear is pretty obvious. I've been trying to configuring it so it sounds like my ultra 5.1, but it just isn't doing it... Any advice? These edifier's are suppose to be amazing... tooted as one of the best pc speakers (if not THE best..)
finbarqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Adjust the EQ to have more bass? Or turn up the power on the sub.

However, note that really overblown bass is not the mark of a good quality speaker setup.
mfenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #29
finbarqs
Diamond Member

not looking for over blowing it, more like having a distinct sound from it... well at least here the LFE. There's a specific level of bass I would like, I'm not listening to rap/hip hop music, mostly like jazz stuff where I would like to listen for the distinction of the instruments.

And also for movies
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarqs View Post
not looking for over blowing it, more like having a distinct sound from it... well at least here the LFE. There's a specific level of bass I would like, I'm not listening to rap/hip hop music, mostly like jazz stuff where I would like to listen for the distinction of the instruments.

And also for movies
This is the sort of thing that you should learn in Hi-Fi 101. If you can pick out the subwoofer, you're doing it wrong.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #31
finbarqs
Diamond Member

I don't know what you mean? I never studied hi-fi 101
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #32
MichaelD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
This is the sort of thing that you should learn in Hi-Fi 101. If you can pick out the subwoofer, you're doing it wrong.
Absolutely correct in a Home Theater or very high-end 2.1 setup, but not so true in your typical consumer PC speaker setup.

100Hz is typically listed/accepted as the optimal crossover point b/t mains and subs. However audio snobs, real musicians (that actually play an instrument) and pro-audio folks can easily localize a sub playing 100Hz and below. Your average "real good" PC speaker setup (I owned a Klipsch 4.1 setup back in the day) has a 150Hz or HIGHER crossover point b/t the sub and mains. Sure it gets loud, but optimal for stereo imaging with accurate instrument placement it is not.

For roughly 5+ years now onboard audio is just as good for MOST playback as any dedicated sound card. Recording's a different story. IME/IMO, the best PC speakers are not PC speakers. They are active nearfield monitors. I have run the gamut from a cheapie 2.1 setup ("good") to a really nice 4.1 setup ("better") to a low-end home 2-channel setup with dedicated amps and separate sub and 2-channel mains ("way better") to finally, powered near-field monitors with 8" midbasses and tweets. These are my babies and I wish I'd tried them sooner.

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-mon...t/rokit-8.html

They are big, heavy (26 pounds EACH) and LOUD. I honestly don't miss the BS EAX "positional audio cues" I thought I had with a 4.1 setup. Arguably, the BEST PC audio setup is really good headphones driven by a headphone amp. But you lose the visceral oomph of speakers moving air. Trust me that two 8-inch midbasses that play cleanly down to 50Hz will move you when they are 3 feet from your face.

For the money, you would be hard-pressed to do better.

Last edited by MichaelD; 11-12-2012 at 01:28 AM.
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
Absolutely correct in a Home Theater or very high-end 2.1 setup, but not so true in your typical consumer PC speaker setup.
Agree 100%. The Edifier system is moving out of the range of "typical consumer PC speakers" any into actual Hi-Fi, which is why it performs differently than the OP is expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
For roughly 5+ years now onboard audio is just as good for MOST playback as any dedicated sound card. Recording's a different story. IME/IMO, the best PC speakers are not PC speakers. They are active nearfield monitors.
Could not agree more.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
I don't know what you mean? I never studied hi-fi 101
Well, there's your problem! You bought a speaker set that is functionally a mid-range Hi-Fi setup and expected it to perform like a set of computer speakers. It's all about expectations.

The bass on the Edifiers is correct for accurate sound reproduction. If that's not what you're after (no harm in that), then you'd be happier returning them and getting a top-range Logitech Z-series. The Logitech won't be nearly as accurate as the Edifiers, but will sound like what you're expecting.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #35
finbarqs
Diamond Member

I'm coming from Klipsch's pro media ultra 5.1.

I feel they do sound better than the z5500's which I also have. I like the Klipsch's the best, but maybe I'm not configuring the edifier properly.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #36
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

I don't think you're necessarily doing anything wrong (assuming you've already tried the software EQ and the bass level knob on the speakers themselves). It's probably just that the Edifiers aren't going to produce the distinct bass sound that you're looking for.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #37
finbarqs
Diamond Member

if anything, it sounds "higher" rather than the "lower" sound i'm used to on my klipsch pro media ultra's. (R.I.P.)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #38
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
if anything, it sounds "higher" rather than the "lower" sound i'm used to on my klipsch pro media ultra's. (R.I.P.)
I don't know what that means. Higher frequency, higher volume?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
finbarqs
Diamond Member

maybe it sounds.. higher frequency? it doesn't sound as deep as my klipsch? If that makes any sense...
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

It's a 10" subwoofer versus the Promedia's dual 8" so its low-end bass capability theoretically better. The enclosure design is different than the Klipsch though, so if you have your EQ set up for the Klipsch, you will probably we way off on the Edifier.

I'm willing to bet that the Edifier sounds closer to what the recording is supposed to sound like than the Klipsch did. If you want something that sounds like a Klipsch, get a Klipsch (nothing wrong with that). That being said, trying to get one speaker system to sound like another is pure folly, especially when you don't have the original around anymore to do a proper A/B comparison.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #41
Imp
Lifer

Quote:
wow i just go the edifier s550 speaker 5.1 system, and the LFE sounds like ass (compared to my klipsch pro media ultra 5.1). But the difference between these speakers was I was using my x-fi fatality before, and now I'm using my onboard realtek. The difference I can hear is pretty obvious. I've been trying to configuring it so it sounds like my ultra 5.1, but it just isn't doing it... Any advice? These edifier's are suppose to be amazing... tooted as one of the best pc speakers (if not THE best..)
If you still care, just get this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound...ds=x-fi+hd+usb

I researched it for a year, then forgot about it, and finally got it a few months back. I came from an X-fi Xtrememusic and they sound roughly the same. Reviews say that technical stats are roughly equal, but worse than the new X-fi Titanium HD or Recon cards.

Driver-wise, it's very stripped down. The control panel is the same as X-fi except with the Entertainmet mode only. I'd recommend it because it's external, no noticeable lag, sounds as good as a regular sound card and much better than onboard, is relatively cheap.

Onboard is unbearable after using X-fi cards for so long.
Imp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #42
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Accurate sound with no hardcoded equalizer settings is unbearable after using X-fi cards for so long.
Fixed that for you.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #43
finbarqs
Diamond Member

well, I'm trying to wait for the soundblaster z to come out... but it seems it's all gone...
http://us.store.creative.com/Creativ...B009ISU33E.htm
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #44
finbarqs
Diamond Member

so the funniest thing happened... I finally got my claws on a soundblaster Z. Damn what a difference it makes on my speakers! But I guess the "auto" feature makes it work damn well.. But my starcraft literrally slowed down to half the frame rate... no more 60 FPS! wtf?? really?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #45
videogames101
Diamond Member

abx tests exist for a reason
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #46
dave_the_nerd
Diamond Member

Quote:
P.S. what's the best PC speakers out there? I don't know if you guys agree, but I have the 5500 logitech on one rig, and the klipsch 5.1 ultra on another. The klipsch does sound better than the 5500. So what would be a good speaker system?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/studio-monitors

Windows Gaming Box: AsRock Z77E-ITX / i5-3570k @ 4GHz / 8GB RAM / GTX 660Ti / Samsung EVO 250GB / Seagate Momentus 750GB / Silverstone SG05. NAS: Foxconn D-70S-P (Celeron 1037U) / 4GB DDR3 / Mess 'o Toshiba Drives, / APEX MI-008.
dave_the_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote