Help with fixing old Compaq S4020WM-B
Specs: Windows XP, Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHz Socket-A, 128 MB DDR SDRAM, motherboard says AM 37...
Symptoms: No front panel power light and no video output. PS is putting out 12, 5 and 3.3 volts, pilot on PS is on, drive access lights flash after a power up. No beep codes. EDIT: PS and CPU fans do turn when the system is on.
I believe the problem is the MB or CPU (most likely MB)...
Steps so far:
1) Tried another PS, no difference.
2) Added an AGP video card, no difference.
3) Tried different RAM, no difference.
4) Took the MB out of the case and ran it in air, no difference.
5) Took everything off the MB except the CPU and RAM, no difference.
6) Copied data from the HD by putting it in another computer.
The owner does not have a lot of extra money and would like the system to run again but does not want to spend much money.
Ideas? Been thinking of getting a modern CPU/MB/RAM combo as a Christmas gift but his PS is only a 20 pin...
Last edited by lakedude; 11-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.