· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
papaschtroumpf

Default fees for Amazon returns?

Not sure what's the best forum for this, I think the Hot Deals forumers are the most likely to have the right answer because they are savvy about those things.

I want to buy a digital camera from Amazon, but may decide to return it (unopened) if I find a better deal (possibly on a different item) during Black Friday week.

Thw way I read their policies they will issue a refund to my credit card, provide a pre-paid label for me to return the item?
- will they refund the full cost of the item?
- Will they refund the original shipping (I can't do slow free shipping, this is a present I have to give away on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend) I'm guessing not
- will they charge me for the price of the label to ship back? It sounds like not.

So if I buy the camera and return it unopened within a few weeks, I'm either out nothing or out the price of original shipping?
* i7-3770 on Win 7 Pro * Core 2 Duo Ubuntu 12.04 server (DLNA, print, SMB) * rooted Nexus 4 * Nexus 7 SmoothROM Tablet UI * ainol 7 Fire on CM10.1, * Galaxy Nexus on CM10.1 * I even used to own a jailbroken iPod touch once...

Last edited by allisolm; 11-13-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: moved from hot Deals
papaschtroumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Anonemous
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaschtroumpf View Post
Not sure what's the best forum for this, I think the Hot Deals forumers are the most likely to have the right answer because they are savvy about those things.

I want to buy a digital camera from Amazon, but may decide to return it (unopened) if I find a better deal (possibly on a different item) during Black Friday week.

Thw way I read their policies they will issue a refund to my credit card, provide a pre-paid label for me to return the item?
- will they refund the full cost of the item?
- Will they refund the original shipping (I can't do slow free shipping, this is a present I have to give away on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend) I'm guessing not
- will they charge me for the price of the label to ship back? It sounds like not.

So if I buy the camera and return it unopened within a few weeks, I'm either out nothing or out the price of original shipping?
Depends on how you worded your return request. If something was not up to your expectations, you can send it back for free. But generally you pay for the shipping costs.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonemous View Post
Depends on how you worded your return request. If something was not up to your expectations, you can send it back for free. But generally you pay for the shipping costs.
+1

read between the lines.

Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
AyashiKaibutsu
Diamond Member

Yea, if you return it with reason they'll ship it free. If you just don't want it, they'll take like 5 or 6 dollars off the refund. I don't think they'll refund original shipping, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Ronstang
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonemous View Post
The only things I ever returned to Amazon were because they were not up to my expectations and every time they paid the shipping cost back to them....now this may be due to the fact that I am an Amazon Prime member but I really do not know.
1966 Shelby G.T.350H #1781
1966 Mustang Fastback restomod project
1966 Mustang Coupe restomod project (this one will get over 30 mpg!!)

I'm a car guy, a computer is a tool not a pastime!
Ronstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstang View Post
The only things I ever returned to Amazon were because they were not up to my expectations and every time they paid the shipping cost back to them....now this may be due to the fact that I am an Amazon Prime member but I really do not know.
There are instances where the return shipping will be deducted from your return amount (with Prime/SS shipping).

Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
sygyzy
Lifer

I am also a Prime member and I rarely return anything to Amazon. When I do, they give me a label to print out and then they bill me about $7 for the return shipping. This is not a big deal especially if it was my mistake. I am kind of appalled the OP would order something with the intention of returning it and actually has an expectation that shipping would be paid for. You are using them and can't pay some pocket change for shipping?
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
RossMAN
Grand Nagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I am also a Prime member and I rarely return anything to Amazon. When I do, they give me a label to print out and then they bill me about $7 for the return shipping. This is not a big deal especially if it was my mistake. I am kind of appalled the OP would order something with the intention of returning it and actually has an expectation that shipping would be paid for. You are using them and can't pay some pocket change for shipping?
This.

The few times I have returned something to Amazon, it cost me a whopping $7 return shipping.

There is a guy in my class surfing AT during class
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
DesiPower
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstang View Post
Yes, is OP has prime, it should be no problem, otherwise I guess they charge 15% restocking fees
DesiPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
sygyzy
Lifer

No! Even without prime there's no restocking fee. You just pay $7 to return it to them, even if it's a huge item. $7 is a bargain for basically having an item delivered to your house, letting you try it out (or whatever) and then sending it back.
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
etrin

Yea I got a free return label on a defective item.
Then the co that sells thru amazon got me for a 15% restocking fee and I got billed for the shipping.
They said since it was a co that was selling on amazon and NOT amazon they could charge a restocking fee on a defective product since I asked for a refund and also click on the charges for return shipping.

Watch out for the stores that sell THRU AMAZON they can do what they want to.
etrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
M1A
Golden Member

I ordered an item and it would not fit on where I was using it and ask to return it and ordered the correct item. They said just keep the $10 item and refunded my money. They treated me great and I am not a prime member. Also I bought a new headlight assy one time and in 3 months it was getting cloudy contacted them and they sent me a new one and again said to keep the old one. I have only had great buying experiences with them. Oh also I bought a gas tank they send the one I ordered and it was wrong and took it back NC.

ASUS P6X58D-E
I7 980X / Crucial M4 256
12G Corsair Dominator 1600 7-8-7-20
HD 6970
M1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
vi edit
Elite Member
Super Moderator

Amazon has to have one of the most forgiving return policies I've ever used. There's stuff I legitimately expected to get half back on (open box kinda stuff) but they gave full refund. I have to wonder how much of a beating they take a year on that type of stuff.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
papaschtroumpf

Thanks all.
I do know that you need to be careful for marketplace companies that at not Amazon itself. But in this case the item is sold/shipped by Amazon. I did place my order. Got a good price, so there is a good chance I will keep the item anyway.
* i7-3770 on Win 7 Pro * Core 2 Duo Ubuntu 12.04 server (DLNA, print, SMB) * rooted Nexus 4 * Nexus 7 SmoothROM Tablet UI * ainol 7 Fire on CM10.1, * Galaxy Nexus on CM10.1 * I even used to own a jailbroken iPod touch once...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

i wouldnt do what youre planning to do. most cameras arent that expensive, how much do you think youll save--$30 at most?
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
papaschtroumpf

About $80 when compared to a local purchase. To some of us , even $30 is a lot of money
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaschtroumpf View Post
About $80 when compared to a local purchase. To some of us , even $30 is a lot of money
dude, african american friday is only a few days away anyway. you might as well just wait and see what happens before ordering from amazon and save yourself the trouble of having to repackage and return
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
papaschtroumpf

Read the op. It is exactly why I am inquiring.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
mizzou
Diamond Member

Obligatory " it didn't work "
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote